PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Comparison

Katy's Most Wanted
11/26/2007, 09:52 AM
OK - i need you folks to give me the match up info for Saturday night. i have my thoughts but i would like some good insight from the "posters" that come at it from an football savvy point of view.
I will be there and am looking forward to watching the Sooners making the entire nation see the best team in College football today.

Suerreal
11/26/2007, 09:55 AM
I think Owen Field is good for about a 10 point advantage to the Sooners.

We beat Missouri 41-31 at Owen Field.

You do the math ;)

The VIIIth
11/26/2007, 10:11 AM
They will have Tony Temple this time around...also we will not have Austin English unless someone tells me differently.

Who was responsible for recruiting Jeremy Maclin? Whoever it was is who should have to cover him...

VIII

flopshotjoe99
11/26/2007, 10:12 AM
I think Owen Field is good for about a 10 point advantage to the Sooners.

We beat Missouri 41-31 at Owen Field.

You do the math ;)

should have been 41-24 if you take out the unreviewed "gift" Mizz got at the end. We are currently 3 1/2 point favorites for Saturday & should cover that easy.:cool:

Ever
11/26/2007, 10:27 AM
Don't get cocky. Cocky gets you beat.

Confidence.

Blitzkrieg
11/26/2007, 11:04 AM
The best matchup on the field will be Nic Harris against Rucker. No one else can cover this guy due to his size and speed, Rucker will be an awesome professional tight end in the Tony Gonzales/Shannon Sharpe mold. I hate Shannon Sharpe. Harris is a rare combo of size and speed.

Reggie versus Maclin is another wild matchup. Both will be cashing NFL checks in the future, we need to watch punts and kick returns, this guy is the best in the country. Maclin loooks to be another Darren McFadden, but not quite as durable. A big time hit on him early could take his head out of the game.

We are hurt not having Murray, our gamebreaker, but MU is hurt by not having Pig Brown, who was the defensive team leader and best player on that side of the ball. I can't help but think that the MU defense is not quite as good as the stats make them look, and if they are on the field a bunch, they will wear down. They don't have depth we do, but our offense needs to sustain then finish drives with TDs, not Fgs.

Our best matchup is to get our WRs over the top on Garrett, Brown's replacement. He's really not up to the task, and can be exploited. Play action off a successful running game will be imnportant, because MU can't generate a pass rush in that situation. They can muster a rush on third and long, although Bradford looks pretty comfy back there in the pocket.

I think our 3 tight end package can really put some stress on the MU linebackers, and Gresham needs to be money and make all his catches. The MU defense is quick, and the screen play where we fake it one way and then pass it back to Gresham would rake in some yards. They tend to overpursue, so anything that mis directions is a good call. The key to opening up the playbook is to control field position, we need to get at least 3 yards on first down, and no sacks. Even if we have to punt, we need to keep MU out of the middle of the field and out of our side of the field, because they have too many weapons to toy with. We played with fire in the champ game last year, NU set up shop on our side of the 50 and couldn't do squat. MU will not be so kind.

In the end, I think MU scores about 20 first half points, thn we clamp down on them. Even against Tech, we have been awesome after halftime on defense only allowing an average of 7 points a half in the second half since the MU game.

If OU doesn't turn the ball over, Ou wins 38 to 30. Close game.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 11:12 AM
Don't get cocky. Cocky gets you beat.

Confidence.

Yeah if the fans get cocky, then OU could get beat. DONT DO THAT TO THE TEAM!

Lott's Bandana
11/26/2007, 11:12 AM
When Miz has the ball just watch the area where the umpire stands. With Temple now, they will run play action to get our LBs to commit to the line of scrimmage, then throw to their big TE's in the space that is created. Extremely simple, but incredibly effective. (remember Dallas?)

Temple is a rock and hard to bring down when he runs up the middle...our LBs will be keying on this and we have to be smart, quick and sure tacklers when he does run.

If we can stop or limit this bread and butter Miz play, we will simply outscore them. If we can't, it will come down to the wire because our offense will put up points.

Oh, and we better not start slow like KU did.

Suerreal
11/26/2007, 11:17 AM
Anyone know Maclin's status?

The Maestro
11/26/2007, 11:24 AM
Temple in and Murray out is a HUGE difference from the first meeting. Missouri only had 57 yards rushing the first time around...we cannot allow them to run the ball.

TOP will be huge, too. Best defense is keeping their offense off the field and tiring their defense which isn't that great.

Third down conversions is a key stat, too. The first time around they were 9 of 16 and OU was a very impressive 10 for 14. Both offenses lend themselves to third and short. The defense that does the better job will definitely have an advantage.

I think it is funny that we are favored as of now...over the number one team in the 13th game of the year. Vegas looks beyond the rankings.

OklahomaSooners
11/26/2007, 11:28 AM
Oh and lets hope the officiating is clean!! :( bible :(

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/26/2007, 11:29 AM
both teams have huge weaknesses at linebacker. ours are just all around not very good (by OU standards), theirs are really really bad in coverage. that means crossing routes are going to be open all night. we are going to struggle with any kind of running game that requires us to make a read.

my big key to the game for the win - we do not go in with a gameplan where bradford is the centerpiece - that has been our downfall on the road this year. yes, he's one of the best freshman QBs i've ever seen, but he is still a freshman. freshman on the road take a little bit to get comfortable.

oh, and 3rd and 1? run the dadgum ball!!!!

soonerspudman
11/26/2007, 11:33 AM
should have been 41-24 if you take out the unreviewed "gift" Mizz got at the end. We are currently 3 1/2 point favorites for Saturday & should cover that easy.:cool:

What does that tell you about this whole BCS crap when the number 9 team is a 3.5 point favorite over the number 1 team on a neutral field. Let's get a playoff and stop this madness...

Blitzkrieg
11/26/2007, 11:36 AM
You guys are waaaay overrating Temple. He is an easy arm tackle, and his only attribute is good not great speed. He drops like a sack of potatoes.

Murray being out is big, Temple will not be much of factor, MU won't run on us unless we get way out shape defensively.

sooner n houston
11/26/2007, 11:41 AM
Scream it all you want, it ain't gonna happen!

toast
11/26/2007, 11:53 AM
this game will come down to one thing:

i'm hoping lou gives the pre-game speech to mizzou

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 12:00 PM
What does that tell you about this whole BCS crap when the number 9 team is a 3.5 point favorite over the number 1 team on a neutral field. Let's get a playoff and stop this madness...

LOUD NOISES!.

sooneron
11/26/2007, 12:06 PM
You guys are waaaay overrating Temple. He is an easy arm tackle, and his only attribute is good not great speed. He drops like a sack of potatoes.

Murray being out is big, Temple will not be much of factor, MU won't run on us unless we get way out shape defensively.
I would take D Savage over Temple, but Temple is good.

Landthief 1972
11/26/2007, 12:10 PM
both teams have huge weaknesses at linebacker. ours are just all around not very good

Say that to my boy Curtis Lofton's face. ;)

Now, Ryan Reynolds playing pass rush makes baby Jesus cry.

Collier11
11/26/2007, 12:33 PM
Lets put it this way, IMHO there is no way in this magnitude of a game that Stoops should or would ever get out-coached by Stinkel. Therefore, my prediction is Ou 38-24. If we dont win by atleast 10 I will be extremely disappointed and I am saying that with the belief that Mizzou is a legit top 5 team.

SoonerBBall
11/26/2007, 12:39 PM

T__T <-- you crying

Also, maybe it is because the top 10 teams this year aren't appreciably different and that playing in Texas gives us a bigger advantage than it gives Mizzou. Also, those lines are made to encourage betting. Thanks for playing.

Zing
11/26/2007, 12:46 PM

Dude, you totally forgot the capslock.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/26/2007, 12:51 PM
Say that to my boy Curtis Lofton's face. ;)

Now, Ryan Reynolds playing pass rush makes baby Jesus cry.

he's solid, which is to say he's the best of the 3. i just can't call a linebacker who allows himself to get blocked without a fight 'good'.

Blitzkrieg
11/26/2007, 12:57 PM
This is a game where Renyolds needs to find a comfy spot on the bench, because he cannot cover Coffman or Rucker.

The Maestro
11/26/2007, 01:00 PM
I just hope Stoops points out this quote from Chase Daniel all week taken from Pat Forde's espn.com article.

"Keeping it up against Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game figures to be considerably more difficult. The Sooners beat Missouri 41-31 Oct. 13 in Norman, aided in large part by four Missouri turnovers.

"We let one slip away," Daniel said."

The defense needs to read that about 20 times a day...and remind Daniel of that fact all night long Saturday.

Forever A Tiger
11/26/2007, 02:59 PM

Obviously you haven't been watching Tony Temple if you think an arm can take him down. Certainly not the last 3 weeks since he's been healthy for the first time this season.

I'm looking forward to a great game that will undoubtedly be very hard fought until the end. We have Temple this game but don't have Pig Brown (big loss). You lost Murray. It sounds as if your DE is questionable, for Mizzou Chase Coffman is questionable. So it looks as if neither team will have a big advantage from the other team's injured players.

Blitzkrieg
11/26/2007, 03:06 PM
Obviously you haven't been watching Tony Temple if you think an arm can take him down. Certainly not the last 3 weeks since he's been healthy for the first time this season.

I'm looking forward to a great game that will undoubtedly be very hard fought until the end. We have Temple this game but don't have Pig Brown (big loss). You lost Murray. It sounds as if your DE is questionable, for Mizzou Chase Coffman is questionable. So it looks as if neither team will have a big advantage from the other team's injured players.

I live in mid mo and have watched Temple for 4 years now. He's a good back, but IMO is not a difference maker type back. We faced a better back last year in the champ game (brandon Jackson) and limited him to almost nothing. Well, breaking his hand helped. We faced a much, much better back in Savage last week, and agisn, limited his production.

OU might well lose, but I doubt TT will be the reason why. I look forward to a great game.

Forever A Tiger
11/26/2007, 03:13 PM
I live in mid mo and have watched Temple for 4 years now. He's a good back, but IMO is not a difference maker type back. We faced a better back last year in the champ game (brandon Jackson) and limited him to almost nothing. Well, breaking his hand helped. We faced a much, much better back in Savage last week, and agisn, limited his production.

OU might well lose, but I doubt TT will be the reason why. I look forward to a great game.

You may have. However, you didn't also face the QB or receivers you will be facing this year. And I didn't say Temple will be the difference in the game though he will be part of it. What I said was that an arm won't bring him down. I stand by that.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/26/2007, 03:22 PM
You may have. However, you didn't also face the QB or receivers you will be facing this year. And I didn't say Temple will be the difference in the game though he will be part of it. What I said was that an arm won't bring him down. I stand by that.

are you saying we've never faced receivers or a qb as talented as we will play in the title game?

Speer
11/26/2007, 03:23 PM
both teams have huge weaknesses at linebacker. ours are just all around not very good (by OU standards), theirs are really really bad in coverage. that means crossing routes are going to be open all night. we are going to struggle with any kind of running game that requires us to make a read.

my big key to the game for the win - we do not go in with a gameplan where bradford is the centerpiece - that has been our downfall on the road this year. yes, he's one of the best freshman QBs i've ever seen, but he is still a freshman. freshman on the road take a little bit to get comfortable.

oh, and 3rd and 1? run the dadgum ball!!!!

Thank you jkm. I'll never claim to be a better play caller than Wilson, but the 3rd & 1 pass to the TE in the 3rd qtr was simply wrong. Cram the ball down their throats and keep their O off the field.

The Maestro
11/26/2007, 03:26 PM
I sure hope we run some variation of the 2001 Orange Bowl defense against these guys. A third linebacker is not necessary.

sooner13f
11/26/2007, 03:27 PM
AFN covered last weeks game as a replay the next day so I already knew Mizzu had won. As I watched the game I noticed that Chase Daniel continued to stare down the WR he was going to throw the ball to. He would set back or run around but continued to eye to the same guy the entire play. I mentioned this to the guys watching the game with me (not OU fans) and that was all we talked about for the rest of the game.

Curly Bill
11/26/2007, 03:32 PM

You are aware that the points have to do with the amount of money being wagered on the game for each of the respective teams, and not the quality of the teams per se?

Nice try though, you playoff folks are trying really hard.

Collier11
11/26/2007, 03:41 PM

This game will come down to two variables in my opinion

For Mizzou: Can they stop the run and can they keep their D off the field
OU: Can we hold on to the ball, good tackling

Those two things for each team really stand out to me as far as who wins and loses. I can take off my glasses long enough to admit that Mizzou is a great team and they scare me, but they have weaknesses that we can exploit

Never playing in a game as big as this is a big one IMO, trust me it matters when the team across from you has been there time and time again and you have never tasted this much success

Stoop Dawg
11/26/2007, 03:41 PM
However, you didn't also face the QB or receivers you will be facing this year.

So Mizzou is gonna be playing some 2nd string QB that we haven't faced before? That doesn't seem very smart. I'd leave Chase in there. He seems to be doing okay - except when he plays OU, of course.

toast
11/26/2007, 03:45 PM
are you saying we've never faced receivers or a qb as talented as we will play in the title game?

I read it that way the first time too, but I think they are comparing mu's qb and receivers to nebraska's qb and wr from last year.

cvsooner
11/26/2007, 03:49 PM
I think jkm's point is that somehow we haven't ALREADY faced this QB and his receivers...

Blitzkrieg
11/26/2007, 03:58 PM
Chase Daniel versus OU lifetime = 1 td, 4ints.

SoonersEnFuego
11/26/2007, 03:59 PM
Mizzou got a garbage touchdown at the end. Could've been a worse beating. But then again, they didn't have Tony Temple. But they may be down one of their TE's (Coffman) this weekend.
We should win if we trick ourselves into thinking it's a home game.

jwlynn64
11/26/2007, 03:59 PM
What the line tells me is that more people are picking OU to win (yes I realize that it is actually money but I'm assuming the average bet on OU = the average bet on MU). Even though the average bettor is not a sports guru, I would think that the collective intelligence is pretty good.

Not speaking for Soonerspudman but I think that is what he is referring to.

snp
11/26/2007, 04:26 PM
Missouri didn't have Temple, Murray had 4 rushes in the previous meeting. I'd consider that a wash.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/26/2007, 04:38 PM

Wow. So when we won earlier this year and last year for that matter...we were facing MU's JV team?

Look MU is a handful and could win the game especially if English can't go but that argument above looks to be heavily infected with Aggie.

85sooners
11/26/2007, 04:40 PM
ou wins by 3 tds:cool:

jwlynn64
11/26/2007, 04:44 PM
Ivan Maisel is the only one to mention that the game wasn't as close as most seem to remember.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=gamedayFinal0713

In a season when the only constant has been change, the final week of the 2007 schedule sets up a battle of old school vs. new. The upstarts have the lead over the perennial powers. If the BCS standings hold up next Saturday, then Missouri will play West Virginia for the national championship, and new blood will course through the veins of this tradition-bound sport.

Mizzou will be looking for revenge after getting upended earlier in the year.

Missouri's road to New Orleans, however, goes through Oklahoma, winner of seven national championships, winner of four of the last seven Big 12 championships, the bluest of blue-blood power in college football. And should either the Tigers or the Mountaineers (who play their traditional rival Pittsburgh on Saturday) falter, the team that would move into the BCS Championship Game is likely Ohio State, winner of three Associated Press national championships and three consecutive Big Ten championships.

Given the nature of this season, with 12 top-five teams having lost to unranked teams, it's best to write Missouri and West Virginia in pencil. The Mountaineers will play an unranked opponent in the Panthers, who, at 4-7, are deserving of their unranking. West Virginia has won four of the last five Backyard Brawls, but the glut of upsets this season should prevent any Mountaineer from the perils of overconfidence.

The Tigers lost to the Sooners, 41-31, in Norman on Oct. 13, and Missouri made it that close only by scoring a touchdown in the waning seconds, a touchdown Oklahoma seemed willing to surrender as long as the clock kept ticking. The Sooners' losses to Colorado and Texas Tech both came away from Norman, although the second loss had more to do with the loss of freshman quarterback Sam Bradford than it did Oklahoma's white uniforms.

Bradford, judging by his performance against Oklahoma State (11-15, 150 yards, 4 TDs), is in good health.

If Missouri and West Virginia both lose on Saturday, then don your armor and prepare for battle. Ohio State, with only one loss has a firm claim on the first position. After that, however, the argument will be long and loud.

Choose your favorite two-loss team, but you may only pick one: Georgia is 10-2 and tied for the SEC East but didn't qualify for the conference championship game. LSU, with a victory over Tennessee on Saturday in the SEC title game, will be 11-2 with two triple-overtime losses. The ACC champion, Boston College or Virginia Tech, will be 11-2. Oklahoma would be 11-2. And suddenly resurgent USC is a victory away from being 10-2.

Man, this season has been fun.

Forever A Tiger
11/26/2007, 05:43 PM

Not in the games he mentioned. Though I would like for you to tell me what QB plus group of receivers that are better.

Forever A Tiger
11/26/2007, 05:46 PM
So Mizzou is gonna be playing some 2nd string QB that we haven't faced before? That doesn't seem very smart. I'd leave Chase in there. He seems to be doing okay - except when he plays OU, of course.

You really should read what I said and what I who I was saying it to. He was talking about last year's game against Nebraska and last week's against OSU. Some of you are as bad as some on Tigerboard!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/26/2007, 06:18 PM
Not in the games he mentioned. Though I would like for you to tell me what QB plus group of receivers that are better.

dude, take off the glasses. on any given day they could be great or bad, that's college football. seriously, you've lost to an average OU team in back to back years.

here is something to think about - did you ever actually stop kansas in your last game? or did they implode? OU's defense has struggled so much this season it isn't funny, yet we can still stop people at least a couple of series a game.

Stoop Dawg
11/26/2007, 06:54 PM
You really should read what I said and what I who I was saying it to. He was talking about last year's game against Nebraska and last week's against OSU. Some of you are as bad as some on Tigerboard!

Okay, I went back and read it again. Blitz said we've faced better backs than Temple. You replied that we hadn't faced your QB and receivers.

But, we have.

The only thing I can imagine you are trying to say is that a) you are better team than last year (when we faced your heralded QB) and b) players who were injured in our prior meeting this year will be playing this week and those players are going to kick our ***.

To that I say: you're a certifiable homer. Your team is centered around Chase Daniel. Period. And we have a history of shutting him down. Maybe he'll have a break out game against us this week. We shut down VY for several years before he made his title run. But I'm not thinking that Chase is in Vince's league. Of course, that's just my opinion.

swardboy
11/26/2007, 07:10 PM
Whatever problems our freshman QB may have had with away games this year will be mitigated by the fact that this is a bowl game. A week to acclimate without school pressures is a whole different environment. At least that's my hope!

Nothing against Missouri, I respect what they're doing....but I'm really hoping for a monumental beatdown by OU to cast the BCS into absolute chaos....

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2007, 07:31 PM
Thank you jkm. I'll never claim to be a better play caller than Wilson, but the 3rd & 1 pass to the TE in the 3rd qtr was simply wrong. Cram the ball down their throats and keep their O off the field.

I did question that 1 call, but put in perspective, Sam only attempted 15 passes the entire game. That was plenty of cramming it down their throat. I only questioned that call because of Sam missing the previous game with concussion and wanting to protect him. Normally, that pass would have been wide open for a big gainer with the running success. I suspect Finley had trouble getting off the line and Sam should have thrown elsewhere. But I guarantee that play will cause Mizzou to spend film time and practice timeon it, so it wasn't a waste. With only 20 hours to prepare, if you force a team to dilute that time on something you probably won't even do, they will miss something else.

Forever A Tiger
11/26/2007, 07:34 PM
Okay, I went back and read it again. Blitz said we've faced better backs than Temple. You replied that we hadn't faced your QB and receivers.

But, we have.

The only thing I can imagine you are trying to say is that a) you are better team than last year (when we faced your heralded QB) and b) players who were injured in our prior meeting this year will be playing this week and those players are going to kick our ***.

To that I say: you're a certifiable homer. Your team is centered around Chase Daniel. Period. And we have a history of shutting him down. Maybe he'll have a break out game against us this week. We shut down VY for several years before he made his title run. But I'm not thinking that Chase is in Vince's league. Of course, that's just my opinion.

And you still didn't read it right. He referred to two games, last year's Big XII conference championship game and your game last week. Neither of us was talking about our earlier game. And since you seem to have forgotten Chase Daniel threw for well over 300 yards against you this year. Not exactly shuttting him down. I'm a fan but I'm no homer. I said in my first post that I think it will be a very good and close game and while I do expect us to win it certainly could go the other way. Contrast that with some of the bold predictions by your homers on here. Just as bad as some of the opposite bold predictions on Tigerboard.

And you know what? It doesn't matter what any of us say or think. The game will be decided on the field as it should be by the two teams.

fossil
11/26/2007, 07:43 PM
And you still didn't read it right. He referred to two games, last year's Big XII conference championship game and your game last week. Neither of us was talking about our earlier game. And since you seem to have forgotten Chase Daniel threw for well over 300 yards against you this year. Not exactly shuttting him down. I'm a fan but I'm no homer. I said in my first post that I think it will be a very good and close game and while I do expect us to win it certainly could go the other way. Contrast that with some of the bold predictions by your homers on here. Just as bad as some of the opposite bold predictions on Tigerboard.

And you know what? It doesn't matter what any of us say or think. The game will be decided on the field as it should be by the two teams.
TIGER BOY, IF YOU AIN'T A HOMER, YOU AIN'T A REAL FAN!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/26/2007, 08:17 PM
And since you seem to have forgotten Chase Daniel threw for well over 300 yards against you this year.

74 yards (read 1/5) of his 361 yards came in the last meaningless drive of the game.

Forever A Tiger
11/26/2007, 08:21 PM
74 yards (read 1/5) of his 361 yards came in the last meaningless drive of the game.

Which still leaves 283; still not exactly shutting him down. But that's fine, talk away. Time will tell who is right as it always does.

soonerboomer93
11/26/2007, 08:39 PM
why, all the yards in the world don't make a **** bit of difference if they don't lead to points. I know our defense isn't playing all world this year, but I honestly don't care how many yards we give up. IMHO, what matters is if we give up yards in the red zone.

A spread offense is generally going to get it's yards. Some games it will perform better then others, but it's extremely difficult to limit it when you have a long field. As the field shortens, it becomes easier to stop because their options become more limited.

DreamZ22
11/26/2007, 08:41 PM
Which still leaves 283; still not exactly shutting him down. But that's fine, talk away. Time will tell who is right as it always does.

Well this is what I think [hairGel] [hairGel] [hairGel] [hairGel] so STFU...

Forever A Tiger
11/26/2007, 08:51 PM
Well this is what I think [hairGel] [hairGel] [hairGel] [hairGel] so STFU...

Wow! Nice Jr. High response. You're really, really smart.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 08:52 PM
FAT, why should anyone believe Mizzou should win? Not being a punk and looking for an objective answer..Just would like to read your view.

noobalicious
11/26/2007, 09:34 PM
When We Are On Offense:
In major statistical categories, Mizzou is only ranked worse than 100th nationally in two categories - net punting and pass defense. In fact, their pass defense is pretty terrible. They are 103rd nationally, giving up 266 yards per game. This is good for 9th in the Big XII. Their pass efficiency defense ranking is mediocre at 45th. On the other hand they give up just over 100 yards rushing per game good for 25th nationally. Bottom line, while still striving for some balance, we have to let Bradford take more shots than he did against OSU. What we CANNOT afford to do is have drives stall because we're not playing to a big advantage and picking up first downs through the air against a below average pass defense. We have to keep Daniel off the field as much as we can. Popular logic would dictate that you would do that by rushing, but I'm not so sure.

I liked the passing game against Mizzou in October in general, but I thought we should have stretched the field a bit more. No receiver had more than a third of the receptions that night and Bradford hit 7 different receivers so I think shaking things up and distributing the ball in a controlled passing game with calculated deep shots is the key here. Looking back at the highlights, their DBs gave us 7-10 yards all night and the WR screens and middle of the field was open a lot. WR screens, quick slants, down and ins. Spread the field and let the TEs find holes in the zone. Eventually their safeties will creep up and you can hit the home run in the second half. Bottom line: controlled passing game. Try for the home run every now and then.

When We Are On Defense:
Make them have long drives and repeat our gameplan from last time. They only managed three scoring drives of over 50 yards, and two of at least 80 yards, and one of those was in garbage time. This means not having dumb turnovers in our own territory, or giving up huge special teams returns. Normally I hate when we play so far off the receivers but I liked how we were able to limit the big play and keep the Mizzou receivers in front of us in Norman. They are more of a pass heavy team, and our rush defense is pretty good so I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect 2 passes for every rush or more. Our best defense will be keeping their offense off the field with long offensive drives of our own. Our secondary will need to step it up. They have shown flashes this year (Texas Tech in the second half comes to mind) but then sometimes they just look lazy and out of place.

We'll be in trouble if:
-Mizzou only has to go 50 or 60 yards to paydirt a lot. Our defense sometimes gives up annoying lengthy drives but given enough opportunities, they seem to hold. Our D is really only averaging allowing about 1 drive a game of over 70 yards. So field position will be key!
-We don't protect the ball...that's the only reason it was close in Norman.
-We let Chase Daniel throw the deep ball.
-We run a lot more than we pass.
-Our defense is on the field a lot (limiting 3-and-outs by our O)

The VIIIth
11/26/2007, 09:35 PM
Mizzou got a garbage touchdown at the end. Could've been a worse beating. But then again, they didn't have Tony Temple. But they may be down one of their TE's (Coffman) this weekend.
We should win if we trick ourselves into thinking it's a home game.

If I recall, Inglesias fumble at the beginning of the game led to a Mizzou score...it sure wasn't earned in the true sense of the word.

I just heard from a friend in KC that one of the MU TE's/WR's is out for this game. I thought it was Rucker but I could be way off on the particular athlete.

Anyone else?

It's Coffman...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3128179

Forever A Tiger
11/26/2007, 09:45 PM
FAT, why should anyone believe Mizzou should win? Not being a punk and looking for an objective answer..Just would like to read your view.

1. Check the statistics for conference games only. No, stats don't tell the whole story particularly in one game but over the course of an 8-game conference seaon they are a good indicator. Certainly enough so that a reasonable person could think Mizzou will win.

Here's the link, check them out for yourself. http://www.big12sports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/confonly.html

2. The game is at a neutral site not in Norman again. And don't kid yourself in thinking you will have a huge crowd advantage either. Mizzou sold their allottment of tickets in a couple hours this morning and many were buying them direct and on the secondary market. As one of your fans said this is a big deal to Mizzou and I guarantee you our fans will turn out.

3. Mizzou has had to win 6 straight games since we last played. They had no margin for errror. One loss and you would be playing KU. So don't tell me we can't play with pressure.

4. Chase Daniel is as good as any college QB in America. Yes, I know he made mistakes in both games against OU. However, I wouldn't count on him making the same ones again. How many did you see him make Saturday night?

5. Tony Temple has been healthy for the first time all year in the last 3 games and has averaged about 100 yards per game during that time. He didn't play in the first game.

6. Before our first game against OU our players didn't really know if they could play with you. Their comments after the game made that obvious. Now they know they can.

7. It will be a total shock if we turn the ball over 4 times again. In fact it will be a big surprise if we turn it over more than once. In the othe 7 conference games we turned it over 5 times total. You tell me which stat is the abberration. Had you forced all those turnovers it would be different.

8. Finally this simply is nowhere near the same team as the last time we played. I would suspect OU is probably better too; however, I've seen no evidence that OU has improved as much since then as Mizzou.

I could provide more but I rest my case. Again I answered your question as to why anyone could think Mizzou will win. Certainly I don't know if we will or not. I do know that reasonable people can certainly think we will just as reasonable people certainly can think you will.

And again, time will tell.

Octavian
11/26/2007, 09:48 PM
well hopefully poor little ole Oklahoma will still show up anyway

Forever A Tiger
11/26/2007, 10:00 PM
well hopefully poor little ole Oklahoma will still show up anyway

Did I say anything against OU? I was asked a fair question and I gave a fair answer. Perhaps you want to give real reasons why no reasonable person could think Mizzou will win. I'm all ears.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 10:03 PM
Good points FAT..all valid

freshchris05
11/26/2007, 10:06 PM
oh... comparison.. i thought it said Missouri Compromise...

oh well.. carry on...

:pop:

Octavian
11/26/2007, 10:08 PM
Perhaps you want to give real reasons why no reasonable person could think Mizzou will win. I'm all ears.

Clutching a clear, square-shaped division trophy in his postgame news conference, Missouri coach Gary Pinkel remarked, "I like it, but now I want the round one." He was referring to the award given to the Big 12's overall champion. "We've got a picture of it in our locker room," said Pinkel. "That's how I know it's round."

:O

the link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/11/25/missour.kansas/index.html)

jwlynn64
11/26/2007, 10:36 PM
They're not the same team that played Oklahoma? Can they add players after the season begins? Is that legal? ;)

By the way, another 1/5 of Chase's yards when last we faced came on the last drive of the first half when the Sooners went into the "Prevent yourself from winning" defense. So at least 2/5 of his total yards came on two drives.

Don't rely too heavily on stats. They don't always show what really happened.

Forever A Tiger
11/26/2007, 10:52 PM
They're not the same team that played Oklahoma? Can they add players after the season begins? Is that legal? ;)

By the way, another 1/5 of Chase's yards when last we faced came on the last drive of the first half when the Sooners went into the "Prevent yourself from winning" defense. So at least 2/5 of his total yards came on two drives.

Don't rely too heavily on stats. They don't always show what really happened.

Then why are you relying on them?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 10:57 PM
There are plenty of reasons that each team can win Saturday. The thing is a lot of reasoning goes out the door once the ball is kicked off. Football is a game more of momentum than reason and whoever can get momentum going their way will win..

jwlynn64
11/26/2007, 10:59 PM
Let me see... first rule of debate is to take any argument against me and throw it back at my adversary.

And since you seem to have forgotten Chase Daniel threw for well over 300 yards against you this year. Not exactly shuttting him down.

Now who started the stat smack! :D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 11:01 PM
Let me see... first rule of debate is to take any argument against me and throw it back at my adversary.

Now who started the stat smack! :D

Is that you in the pic? you look like a tv star..i cant think of his name now

mdklatt
11/26/2007, 11:03 PM
Football is a game more of momentum than reason and whoever can get momentum going their way will win..

Missouri will definitely be playing with more emotion, but that's not always a good thing. We have to knock them down early, and then for crying out loud I don't want to see any "prevent punts" defense unless we're up by four touchdowns with less than two minutes left.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 11:09 PM
Missouri will definitely be playing with more emotion, but that's not always a good thing. We have to knock them down early, and then for crying out loud I don't want to see any "prevent punts" defense unless we're up by four touchdowns with less than two minutes left.

Too much emotion leads to 15 yard PF penalties, offsides, and false starts and turnovers..and getting burned deep.

Momentum hurt OU at CU...It hurt them at TT...It helped Saturday..It ll be interesting to see what happens

snp
11/26/2007, 11:23 PM
7. It will be a total shock if we turn the ball over 4 times again. In fact it will be a big surprise if we turn it over more than once. In the othe 7 conference games we turned it over 5 times total. You tell me which stat is the abberration. Had you forced all those turnovers it would be different.

Kansas has a good defense but the rest are nothing compared to oklahoma. You can't predict turnovers, there's a lot of luck involved.

oklahoma also left 4 points off the board thanks to Hartley being hurt earlier in the year and struggling. He's healthy now and unless his leg is tired from last week, he'll be aces by Saturday.

jwlynn64
11/27/2007, 12:07 AM
Is that you in the pic? you look like a tv star..i cant think of his name now

You're not going to start that Dennis Farina talk again are you. Actually a lot of people over my life have said that I reminded them of Bill Murry which I have always taken as an insult! ;)

jwlynn64
11/27/2007, 12:23 AM
You make the call.

http://thelynnfamily.net/john_dennis.jpg

BTW, my picture was cropped from a picture with my son and Cowboy great Cliff Harris at a book signing last December.

Stoop Dawg
11/27/2007, 02:03 AM
And since you seem to have forgotten Chase Daniel threw for well over 300 yards against you this year. Not exactly shuttting him down.

I hope he gets another 300 yards against us. And yet another loss.

And yet here you are, on our board, telling us that Mizzou will win the Big 12. Say that out loud: "I think Mizzou will win the Big 12". Sounds silly, doesn't it. Yes, yes it does. That's because it *is* silly. But you're welcome to dream.

Stoop Dawg
11/27/2007, 02:06 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot about the "hand the ball off, no wait, drop it on the turf" play. Best QB in America, huh? ;)

Crucifax Autumn
11/27/2007, 02:23 AM
2. The game is at a neutral site not in Norman again. And don't kid yourself in thinking you will have a huge crowd advantage either. Mizzou sold their allottment of tickets in a couple hours this morning and many were buying them direct and on the secondary market. As one of your fans said this is a big deal to Mizzou and I guarantee you our fans will turn out.

Why did they wait so long to buy tickets? OU fans have been buying tickets all year! What a bunch of bandwagon wussies! They didn't believe in their team until this week?

I think we'll win by 30. And I'm being conservative in that. Chase will be so busy dropping the ball on the turf and shoving his finger into his brain via a nostril that he will be a non-factor.

Blitzkrieg
11/27/2007, 12:42 PM
6. Before our first game against OU our players didn't really know if they could play with you. Their comments after the game made that obvious. Now they know they can.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in the national press, and MU fans and even players are using it as their mantra. That and the "we gave it away, we only need to limit turnovers and we win that game." I hope the MU team is really thinking this, it really is a negative thought, kinda like the way a baseball pitcher tells himself, "don't walk the opposing pitcher, don't walk the pitcher", and walks the pitcher because his mind only hears "walk the pitcher."

8. Finally this simply is nowhere near the same team as the last time we played. I would suspect OU is probably better too; however, I've seen no evidence that OU has improved as much since then as Mizzou.

This is the other one. "Our team is much better, your is the same." WTF is this based on? Talk about an arbitrary and non quantifiable argument. What happened before, including in Norman, doesn't matter when the whistle blows next saturday night. Ou beat CU in 2002 27-11, in Norman, and it was because CU turned the ball over 4 times. We heard the same arguments then too, we're better, we won't run it over etc. OU went to San Antonio and thrashed the buffs 29-7, and we didn't need turnovers.

The VIIIth
11/28/2007, 06:36 PM
I take contention with the fact that Missouri has improved while OU has been in some kind of static bubble.

We have not played the same teams on the same days and to be frank, QB superiority is being granted to the MU QB when Bradfords stats outshine those of Daniels.

Considering also that OU has been hit with some key injuries, the replacement people inserted in those positions have done a tremendous job and are only continuing to get better. I think OU's run blocking has gotten better over the past few weeks as well and frankly, I think OU exercises the running game while playing clock keep away from the tiger offense.

I see this as a 26 to 15 game favoring OU based on a far superior running game and defense. The OU Tackles on both sides of the OL and DL are also superior players to what Mizzou will be fielding and that is always one of the games key focal points if not the most important.

cvsooner
11/28/2007, 06:40 PM
In fact, that running game will get Allen Patrick the 162 yards he needs to finish over 1,000 for the season. Mark it down.

The VIIIth
11/28/2007, 06:42 PM
In fact, that running game will get Allen Patrick the 162 yards he needs to finish over 1,000 for the season. Mark it down.

Marked.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/29/2007, 02:05 AM
You make the call.

http://thelynnfamily.net/john_dennis.jpg

BTW, my picture was cropped from a picture with my son and Cowboy great Cliff Harris at a book signing last December.

Holy crap! you guys look nothing alike...:eek:

Crucifax Autumn
11/29/2007, 02:30 AM
What are you talking about??? They have matching suits...They MUST be twins!

OUsooner1
11/29/2007, 07:04 AM
AHH...everytime I pass by this thread I keep on thinking it says "Missouri Compromise". Dang that history class, it's getting to me and it isn't even finals week yet! Yep I know not football related but I had to get that out of my head. Oh by the way I heard from a very reliable source that Chase Daniel had a slight cold and his nose kept running and running so he just kept his tongue out to capture all that yummy goodness coming out and therefore has gained 10 more pounds.