PDA

View Full Version : A&M makes a choice already?

noobalicious
11/26/2007, 09:29 AM
6:11 a.m. Report: Sherman to be named Texas A&M coach

Houston Texans offensive coordinator Mike Sherman is expected to be named head coach at Texas A&M today, the Dallas Morning News is reporting.

Sherman, former head coach of the Green Bay Packers, emerged as the leading candidate over the weekend. The school has scheduled an 11 a.m. CT press conference.

-Rivals.com

Interesting selection. Sherman took a good Packers team from the Holmgren days, and once he was named GM tanked them to a 4-12 record before being fired. He also made a lot of boneheaded decisions during the games.

All in all, I think this would bode poorly for A&M and well for us! :D

stoopified
11/26/2007, 09:34 AM
Interesting selection. Sherman took a good Packers team from the Holmgren days, and once he was named GM tanked them to a 4-12 record before being fired. He also made a lot of boneheaded decisions during the games.

All in all, I think this would bode poorly for A&M and well for us! :DSo Callaahn's brother will be coaching aTm? :D This could be fun.

PLaw
11/26/2007, 09:39 AM
Of all the potential candidates, this one simply makes no sense which is appropriate for eATMe considering all of their "traditions", most of which also make no sense.

BOOMER

JohnnyMack
11/26/2007, 10:43 AM
I like this pick.

For us.

badger
11/26/2007, 10:49 AM

All in all, I think this would bode poorly for A&M and well for us! :D
Now, now, that's a strongly MODIFIED version of the Packers' history with Sherman. Here is the corrected version, straight from this Packer fan's memory:

No, he did not take over for Holmgren. That dishonor was given to Ray Rhodes, former Packers' coordinator and former Eagles' head coach (who once won Coach of the Year for taking the eggies to the playoffs). Ray Rhodes when 8-8 and was fired immediately after one season. It was said that Rhodes chewed hard on his gum, not his players.

THEN came Sherman, who, like Rhodes, was a former Packers coordinator, but, unlike Rhodes, had no head coaching experience, but was somebody comparable to Holmgren, in that he would scold players and scowl if things went wrong... or so that's how it was thought at first.

He had a very successful first four years. They had winning seasons each of these years from 2000 to 2004, if my memory serves correctly, and went to the playoffs each of those years. Remember, the NFL playoffs are those who get easy scheduling or are just d@mn good, because the NFL is designed to make every team succeed eventually, so the deck was stacked against Green Bay most of those years.

Alas, it was not the "deck stacking" that led to Sherman's downfall... rather, it was a very, very unlucky 2005 season. This is the one you were referring to, the 4-12 season, and worst season in Packers' recent (aka "Brett Favre era") history.

Sherman, coincidentally enough, had adopted what appeared to the forerunner of the "Fran Face," aka "blank expression of not-a-smile-but-not-a-frown" face when things go incredibly wrong. And wow, did they go wrong... a really tough schedule (from all those years for winning, thanks NFL scheduling), a lot of key injuries (pro bowlers on offense went down and didn't come back).

Worst of all, Sherman was starting to give into the thing that got Rhodes fired, which was that he did not have the respect of the players anymore. Perhaps this had something to do with the fact that unlike his first four seasons, he was no longer GM (they gave that job to Ted Thompson at the start of the season), but also, they were losing, getting injured, and morale was waaaaaaay down. One notable thing this lifelong Packers fan remembers was receiver Bill Schroeder demanding that Sherman challenge an incompletion call... and Sherman did, and it was so incredibly incomplete. It made him look really bad. The Packers lost that game, too.

So, what do you do after the first losing season since... well... a very, very long time? SCAPEGOAT GUY! Sherman was fired after the 4-12 season and replaced by that young guy Mike McCarthy that you see on the sidelines now.

So, is Sherman a gawd-awful choice, which seems to be what TexAgs.com thinks? No, it is not. Sherman led the Packers to four great seasons, and one awful one. He has one of the best records of all Packers' coaches (I think only Lombardi himself had a higher winning percentage). He had many great drafts (drafting many key players, including $12 mil man Aaron Kampman, our defensive leader), so he'll be good at recruiting, because he can recognize talent (remember that we were winning all those years with him, so we weren't given top picks or anything those years, either).

Also, he would know Aggie traditions, because I think he was an offensive line coach there and UCLA before moving to the pro ranks.

He is NOT another Callahan. Callahan basically took over the squad that Jon Gruden had assembled and disciplined to the Super Bowl... and guess who he lost to? Guess what happened after that... yes, they phail3d. Miserably. Callahan ruins everything he touches and cannot build a winner. Sherman, on the other hand, had to repair the mess Ray Rhodes made that one year when players were fighting with each other at practice, not trying in games or basically, just had one throwaway season. Sherman can repair messes, and wow, has Fran created a mess!

So, from this Packer fan that knows Sherman well, here is his REAL record:

1- Took over for miserable coach Ray Rhodes that ran program into the ground in 2000.
2- Used drafts and Holmgren talent to have four consecutive playoff and winning seasons as both coach and GM.
3- Is a former Aggie offensive line coach, in addition to coaching UCLA's line, and the Houston Texans' offense.
4- Only blemish in record is 4-12 season, marred by injuries and a tough schedule, when he was only serving as coach, not as GM as well.
5- Has already used and perfected the "Fran face" when things go absolutely wrong and there's not a d@mn thing you can do about it.

So, there you have it. Sherman will be a good coach, because unlike the TexAgs board posters, we all know that he has had success and can produce it out of inherited crappiness.

Animal Mother
11/26/2007, 10:54 AM
Is Mr. Peabody going to be offensive coordinator?
This looks like another egregious coaching move by a once proud college team.
I like it!!!
Even though I wanted Tejas to lose, it was difficult to pull for eATMe. There is something wrong with 18-21 year olds that want to dress up like highway patrolman.
When I was 18 you couldn’t have convinced me to do that if you wrote the eATMe credo on the inside of Farrah Fawcett’s thighs. Did I mention I was 18 in 1975???

JohnnyMack
11/26/2007, 10:55 AM
Meh.

You're a Packer homer, I'll take what you type with a grain of salt.

:D

badger
11/26/2007, 10:59 AM
Meh.

You're a Packer homer, I'll take what you type with a grain of salt.

:D
Oh, so you think I ENJOYED going 4-12 and didn't want to see the man responsible run outta town with snowballs flying at his face and ice storms sliding him off tall bridges? DO YOU?!

(of course not, that would be cruel, but like 99.9 percent of all Packer fans, I expected and wanted to see Sherm fired)

Ugggggh, that season was so awful. Good thing most Packer games aren't broadcast down here and I could only experience the misery with an online ticker.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 10:59 AM
It's the assistants he brings in that will make or break the team. I ll be interested to see who he brings in

The Maestro
11/26/2007, 11:01 AM
Sherman recruiting against Mack and Bob...serious mismatch.

This is like Gailey at Ga Tech...maybe a good coach, but can he recruit against a guy like Richt?

badger
11/26/2007, 11:07 AM

This is like Gailey at Ga Tech...maybe a good coach, but can he recruit against a guy like Richt?
I didn't say that he could compete in recruiting 5-stars against Bob and Mack. No, the 5-stars initially will still go to USC, OU, Texas, Florida, LSU and maybe tOSU and UM.

However, what I was saying is that with the lower draft picks, Sherman built a solid team with great leaders. He can recognize talent that isn't recognized by others. He can get quality 2- and 3- star recruits that will turn into 5-star quality by the time they start at the college level.

After a few years of that, he'll either...

1- Get fired, because that talent gets injured and the team loses a lot (enter: "Fran face," part 2)

2- Win over and over, because the talent came through for Sherm.

Scenario 2 happened from 2000-2004. In 2005, scenario 1.

So, perhaps Mack will pick up a Ryan Leaf, or a Joey Harrington or a Tim Couch with his recruiting charisma to get the players everyone wants. However, Sherm will find an Aaron Kampman or a Javon Walker that will go on to be pro bowlers... or in A&M's case, All Big-12ers, first rounders, etc.

illinisooner
11/26/2007, 11:09 AM
This is a very underwhelming selection.

The_Red_Patriot
11/26/2007, 11:15 AM
Gold jacket, green jacket who gives a s***!

I guess that was the thinking of the AD.

Desert Sapper
11/26/2007, 11:23 AM

Remember that GT is a private school with a very high academic standard (with a focus on technical/engineering degrees). Considering that UGA most definitely is not either of those things, I think Gailey has done an excellent job recruiting.

Texas is a much bigger state and aTm is no private school. It will doubtless be an uphill battle for top Texas talent, but if he has any success with lesser talent, he will get good players to come there.

SOONER STEAKER
11/26/2007, 11:25 AM
I thought Mike Sherman was a Sports writer for the "Oklahoman?" That's awesome for Mike, "Do you think he'll hire Jenni Carlson on his staff?"

The Maestro
11/26/2007, 11:28 AM
Remember that GT is a private school with a very high academic standard (with a focus on technical/engineering degrees). Considering that UGA most definitely is not either of those things, I think Gailey has done an excellent job recruiting.

Texas is a much bigger state and aTm is no private school. It will doubtless be an uphill battle for top Texas talent, but if he has any success with lesser talent, he will get good players to come there.

Well, my point was more personalities in the living room of recruits. Sherman is a white haired man with a pro football mentality. Brown and Stoops are more in the mold of a Richt with Mack's "evangelist of Texas football" style and Stoops young, hip staff of coaches.

So I wonder if they ever even called Tuberville...that would have been the best hire aTm could have made and glad he is staying put.

Alum81
11/26/2007, 11:38 AM
There is something wrong with 18-21 year olds that want to dress up like highway patrolman.

Yeah, and you probably think there is something wrong with those 18-21 year olds who are serving our country in the various armed forces. You probably think there is something wrong with the police officer who pulls you over for speeding. I hope somebody saves your life someday and then maybe you'd have a little more respect for those who choose to do what most of the country doesn't want to do.

Of course, you may just be trying to be funny also - but I come from a family that has served this country and I really don't find it all that funny. Say what you will about the aggies, but their student body, corps and non corps, comes out 110% to support their team and stays till the very end, win or lose - whereas I've seen half our student body show up in the middle of the 1st quarter and leave before the 4th quarter.

BIG_IKE
11/26/2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah, and you probably think there is something wrong with those 18-21 year olds who are serving our country in the various armed forces. You probably think there is something wrong with the police officer who pulls you over for speeding. I hope somebody saves your life someday and then maybe you'd have a little more respect for those who choose to do what most of the country doesn't want to do.

Of course, you may just be trying to be funny also - but I come from a family that has served this country and I really don't find it all that funny. Say what you will about the aggies, but their student body, corps and non corps, comes out 110% to support their team and stays till the very end, win or lose - whereas I've seen half our student body show up in the middle of the 1st quarter and leave before the 4th quarter.

Ummm...only about 1/3 of those guys ever even join the Military. :pop:

JohnnyMack
11/26/2007, 11:48 AM
I for one hate the concept of hiring a coach who is returning to his alma mater to save the program. It's the wrong approach.

r5TPsooner
11/26/2007, 11:49 AM
It's a great hire for the Big XII south.

The Maestro
11/26/2007, 11:57 AM
Oops! Sorry for the analogy, Gailey!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3127998

Gailey got the boot!

Alum81
11/26/2007, 12:06 PM
Ummm...only about 1/3 of those guys ever even join the Military. :pop:

And your point is?

I could make the same point that the pct. of those who start college and those who finish with a degree is around 55%. Does that mean that those who didn't finish are all stupid because they were in it?

I have lived in Houston since I graduated and run into aggies all the time, in my church, in my profession, etc. I will say this, I have never met a corp aggie (who didn't join the military) who wasn't very successful in whatever field he was in. They ALL have discipline, character, integrity, etc. - and I also run into ex-whorns down here, but I cannot say the same for ALL of them, so I'd say there is something more to that organization than "crazy traditions". I just think it is weak sauce for us Sooners to stoop to whorn level when we talk about A&M.

soonerinabilene
11/26/2007, 12:10 PM
Apparently, i was correct in thinking that their ad would not read an internet message board and take my advice to go after art briles. They missed their chance for him, and in 4 years when the Sherman experience is over, Briles will be at a school where leaving for A&M will no longer be a step up for him.

BIG_IKE
11/26/2007, 12:13 PM
And your point is?

I could make the same point that the pct. of those who start college and those who finish with a degree is around 55%. Does that mean that those who didn't finish are all stupid because they were in it?

I have lived in Houston since I graduated and run into aggies all the time, in my church, in my profession, etc. I will say this, I have never met a corp aggie (who didn't join the military) who wasn't very successful in whatever field he was in. They ALL have discipline, character, integrity, etc. - and I also run into ex-whorns down here, but I cannot say the same for ALL of them, so I'd say there is something more to that organization than "crazy traditions". I just think it is weak sauce for us Sooners to stoop to whorn level when we talk about A&M.

Your pleading your case to the wrong guy, I was simply stating that folks often assume all those Corps guys join the military when in fact most of them don't. And any military-like program, whether ROTC or JROTC, hell even Boy Scouts produces disciplined people so that doe snot surprise me that you found that in those individuals. And it's no secret that Aggies are usually successful in the private sector. Being a veteran though, it irks me when people assume the guys in Corps ALL serve the country when most are just in a College Organization that does not require them to join the real military.

Curly Bill
11/26/2007, 12:13 PM
To echo what many of you have said: as an OU fan, and someone who hates aggy, this is a great choice! An NFL retread! hahaha

Tulsa_Fireman
11/26/2007, 12:17 PM
Badger's onto something, fellas.

Mike Sherman isn't a bad hire at all for A&M. My Packers won the NFC North 3 years consecutive from '02 to '04, and coached one of the most effective rushing attacks in the NFl during his tenure. Took a fumble-prone Ahman Green, put him behind arguably the best offensive line in the NFL, and made a five year pro bowler. The Pack can hang pick-ups like core linebacker Nick Barnett and corner Al Harris on Mike Sherman, too. Which along with Kampman, make up a large part of the Packers success so far this season.

Yes, the Pack detonated with Sherman at the helm in his final season. But it was more than Sherman responsible for the explosives. Crap in the clubhouse with Javon Walker, injuries, and a lot of youth played a big part as well. But the fact remains he knows how to run the football and knows how to put the pieces in place to be able to run the football. If he can make the transition to the college game and if he can sell A&M on the recruiting trail, heads up.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/26/2007, 12:19 PM
And any military-like program, whether ROTC or JROTC, hell even Boy Scouts produces disciplined people so that doe snot surprise me that you found that in those individuals.

Doe snot surprises you?

It IS deer season. Geeez.

The Maestro
11/26/2007, 12:20 PM
Mike Sherman isn't a bad hire at all for A&M. My Packers.

Not sure the bold part doesn't keep you from seeing things correctly.

Hell, I am not sure Belichick would work in the NFL...not enough of a "Rah, rah!" guy.

NFL leftovers don't always make great college coaches.

Alum81
11/26/2007, 12:25 PM
Your pleading your case to the wrong guy, I was simply stating that folks often assume all those Corps guys join the military when in fact most of them don't. And any military-like program, whether ROTC or JROTC, hell even Boy Scouts produces disciplined people so that doe snot surprise me that you found that in those individuals. And it's no secret that Aggies are usually successful in the private sector. Being a veteran though, it irks me when people assume the guys in Corps ALL serve the country when most are just in a College Organization that does not require them to join the real military.

Thank you - I agree with everything you just said. :O

TheHumanAlphabet
11/26/2007, 12:32 PM
I don't know if it has been mentioned, Sherman has ties to Aggieland. He was a coach there twice or for two years (I don't remember & don't ask me where I am flying to today, I don;t know...). I do think we'll see more of the same.

sooneron
11/26/2007, 12:34 PM
Thank you - I agree with everything you just said. :O
And you need to lighten up. Those corps fools act like idiots with their nut squeezing and sabre brandishing.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/26/2007, 12:38 PM
Not sure the bold part doesn't keep you from seeing things correctly.

But the facts within the post are immune to green and gold colored glasses, my friend. I'll be the first one to admit my homer-ism, but the fact remains, he's a 3 time consecutive division winner with a winning percentage just under one of the most heralded coaches to ever stand on the sidelines. I'll give you the fact that NFL success doesn't always equate to success in the college game, but given we don't have a history to draw from specifically with Sherman, we have to look at what he's done and see how things shake out once he's in College Station.

Given that, we'll see. Obviously recruiting is the biggest question mark. But as far as being ABLE to coach the game at a high level and in a manner that doesn't drastically change the premise of what the team currently does (AKA, the opposite of Clownahan's feeble attempt to put Nebraska in the air), I think Sherman will enjoy some success. To be a threat in the South, again, I believe hinges entirely on recruiting.

badger
11/26/2007, 12:49 PM
Pleeeeease, guys. As soon as Sherman left, I was no longer a fan of his, kind of like I am not really fans of players who leave the Packers (Me watching the Vikings: "Hey look Adrian! ...Darren Sharper used to play for the Packers... Ryan Longwell used to play for the Packers... Adrian again! ...stupid Longwell left the Packers to kick indoors... stupid Sharper got traded to our rival...")

I remember former Packers coaches and players very well. However, I do not take kindly to those who leave, no matter what the circumstances. I mean, look at Holmgren. Won us a Super Bowl. We named a street after him. We loved him. Holmgren leaves for Seattle. We loathed him for it.

Sherman will be good for the Aggies. They will beat Texas, have a chance against Tech and a chance against us, too. Aggie logic will allow him to stay at that school as long as he continues beating Texas (which will happen half the time, if not most), and allow us to continue winning the South. Life is good!

soonerscuba
11/26/2007, 01:21 PM
A&M is a lame school with lame traditions, the cadets wear jack boots, the campus blows, and there is a bit of racism there that is going to keep the Adrian Petersons and Vince Youngs of the world away. They could hire Lombardi and we still beat the hell out of them. When are people going to realize that just because you squeeze your nuts and pack the stadium for "t.u.", it doesn't make you anything other than a once in a lifetime contender for conference titles, and maybe once in a century for national titles?

Also, until a cadet takes the oath, they are pretend soldiers. Screw 'em.

Animal Mother
11/26/2007, 01:22 PM

I know this should be addressed on another forum or a private email but Mr. Red White and Smug asked for it. Obviously the Bullwinkle reference didn't make it painfully aware but it’s called humor and if you don't like it then complain to a mod you wearer of other people's dirty underpants.
For your information, as if you matter to anyone other than yourself, my father was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge and spent three years recovering from his wounds which is probably equal to the time you spent in the sixth grade. Not to mention you mentioned the real Armed Services not me. I support our troops. I don't support the insane policies that got us there and as a semi-free American, I'm not required to support those policies. It’s called free speech Mr. Military and my dad left part of his left leg in Belgium fighting for it so go pee on an electric fence.
I don't believe I've ever seen someone with such a personal knot in their BVD's over react to humor in a posting in my entire life. Did someone shoot your dog and then do five minutes of stand up comedy over the corpse??? You sound like some politically correct joker on crystal meth. Please get over yourself.

King Crimson
11/26/2007, 01:25 PM
I for one hate the concept of hiring a coach who is returning to his alma mater to save the program. It's the wrong approach.

me too; but that doesn't apply here. SHerman is from New England and went to Central Connecticut State. he was an assistant for RC a couple times, that's his connection with aTm.

Desert Sapper
11/26/2007, 02:57 PM
Oops! Sorry for the analogy, Gailey!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3127998

Gailey got the boot!

Shame on you for jinxing the poor guy.:eek:

Looks like GT is yet another school with delusions of grandeur.