PDA

View Full Version : Is Georgia Eligible For MNC Game

soonersn2007
11/26/2007, 08:30 AM
With them sitting at #4, Mizzou and WVU lose then they would move to #2........I thought you had to win your conference championship b/c of what happened with us in 2003? If not, could this be the scenario that brings down the BCS.........a 3rd place Georgia team that didn't even win its division playing for the national title.

OUTrumpet
11/26/2007, 08:37 AM
Nebraska didn't win the North in 2001 but still went.

OKLA21FAN
11/26/2007, 08:40 AM
NU in 2001 and of course OU in 2003

there is no rule (so far) about having to be a conference champion in order to play in the BCS champ game

landrun
11/26/2007, 08:40 AM
I'd much rather see a Georgia team that didn't 'win its division' than a weak team from a patsy conference (Big East, Big Ten) that doesn't have a championship game sleep walk into the game. At least Georgia has earned it with their strength of schedule.
WV or OSU would be 4 loss teams in the SEC this year. :mad:

soonersn2007
11/26/2007, 08:54 AM
I thought they had tweaked the rules b/c of the past scenarios........I guess I am mistaken.

arlington
11/26/2007, 09:06 AM
Im with Landrun on this. Georgia has been playing terrific football the past 6 weeks and i would much rather see them get rewarded than WVU, who hasnt beaten a team with less than 3 losses yet, or Ohio State, which has played 1 top 25 team AND lost.

TUSooner
11/26/2007, 09:10 AM
I thought you had to win your conference championship b/c of what happened with us in 2003?

Send me your bank account numbers (and PINs) and I will wire you some money from Nigeria. :rolleyes: :D

Just because something gets repeated on the internet for several years doesn't make it true.
But it certainly would be very crappy if UGA gets in without even qualifying for their own CCG. :mad:

TUSooner
11/26/2007, 09:21 AM
Im with Landrun on this. Georgia has been playing terrific football the past 6 weeks and i would much rather see them get rewarded than WVU, who hasnt beaten a team with less than 3 losses yet, or Ohio State, which has played 1 top 25 team AND lost.
This brings up my old question:
Do teams get ranked based on how much they "deserve" it (because, say, they only have one loss), or on how they would likely do against a similarly ranked opponent?
Their losses mean UFla doesn't "deserve" to be in the BCSCG, but they might well be favored over Mizz, WVA, UGA, or OhSU on a neutral field. UGA might beat OhSU or WVA (etc.), but do they "deserve" the chance?

I do not know who is the best team in the country, and I seriously doubt that anybody will be certain, even by January 8.

Desert Sapper
11/26/2007, 09:25 AM
I think UGA will get leap-frogged by somebody if all that happens. But it won't. We might beat Mizzou, but there is NO WAY West Virginia loses to Pitt. Not even Mark May, who is a Pitt grad, gave Pitt a chance against THE GREATEST RUNNING ATTACK EVAR!!!!11111!!!!!1111!!! :rolleyes:

In order:

BOOMER SOONER!!!!!
Go Panthers!!!!!
Go Eagles!!!!
Go Vols!!!
Go Bruins!!

Some of those actually seem possible.

bluedogok
11/26/2007, 11:07 PM
Im with Landrun on this. Georgia has been playing terrific football the past 6 weeks and i would much rather see them get rewarded than WVU, who hasnt beaten a team with less than 3 losses yet, or Ohio State, which has played 1 top 25 team AND lost.Whoa...the HOT team should be rewarded :eek:

Sorry, I know that was a different thread :D

sanantoniosooner
11/26/2007, 11:10 PM
I don't think you should play for the MNC if you don't win your conference.

ESPECIALLY if you don't even win your division of the conference.

And I felt the same even way back then.

mdklatt
11/26/2007, 11:11 PM
I thought they had tweaked the rules b/c of the past scenarios

They did--the Crybaby USC Rule that bedowngraded the influence of the computer polls. There is no rule that a conference loser can't play in the MNC game, but the humans wouldn't let that happen.

SoonerKnight
11/26/2007, 11:27 PM
They did--the Crybaby USC Rule that bedowngraded the influence of the computer polls. There is no rule that a conference loser can't play in the MNC game, but the humans wouldn't let that happen.

Exactly and the way the season has gone who says a two loss team can not play for the MNC?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 11:30 PM
Man there is some hate toward WV on this board! Seems like hillbillies and mountaineers would get along

kevpks
11/26/2007, 11:43 PM
If OU wins and West Virginia loses there will be a lot of fans on the edge of their seats to see how the ratings shake out. Personally, I would like to see an LSU and VT loss to make it really interesting.

bluedogok
11/27/2007, 12:02 AM
Man there is some hate toward WV on this board! Seems like hillbillies and mountaineers would get along
I did NOT enjoy seeing Hostetler throwing the ball all around Owen Field my freshman year.

mdklatt
11/27/2007, 12:10 AM
Thanks to We Are Marshall I know that WVU ran the veer offense in the early 70s. And Bobby Bowden was their head coach.

snp
11/27/2007, 12:13 AM
I think our fans are just jealous that WVU can still run an option offense and have success with it. We want that too.

goingoneight
11/27/2007, 12:35 AM
I'm just not sold on WVU. They don't play good defense, even on their home field. People say they're exciting to watch, but I just don't see it. I see them exactly as I see Ohio State right now... looks good on paper, but put them up against a true big dog and I'd put my money on bigdog covering the spread easy.

Hey, they could prove me wrong... I'm just don't feel them. For some reason everytime I hear ESPN campaigning for them, it sounds like they're saying "oooh... look... they have college football over here, too! Look, this one's a one-loss team! They must be on par with the established powerhouses.

SteelClip49
11/27/2007, 01:40 AM
2 loss Colorado finished ahead of 1 loss Oregon, Illinois and Maryland in the final BCS standings in 2001. CU was #3 behind Nebraska.

Georgia should not even be considered for the national title. Only 2 loss VT should because their losses were to BCS top 12 teams LSU and BC. VT wins over BC in the ACC Title game then that will really make an impression and perhaps put them above UGA.

astro5169
11/27/2007, 07:25 AM
3 teams lose
Wviriginia, LSU, Vtech

We beat Missouri.

We will play OSU for the Nat Champ.

MARK my words.

sooner n houston
11/27/2007, 08:06 AM
3 teams lose
Wviriginia, LSU, Vtech

We beat Missouri.

MARK my words.

May you be correct sir!

Desert Sapper
11/27/2007, 08:22 AM
3 teams lose
Wviriginia, LSU, Vtech

We beat Missouri.

MARK my words.

After the show that suc put on against ASU, we either need to blast Mizzou by 40 points or have UCLA beat the condoms in the coliseum. I see the latter before I see the former.

I really wish I could see WV dropping their game with Pitt, but it's a home game and Pitt sucks ***. All the same, I hope you are right.

The most important thing is that OU beats Mizzou. Even if 'all' we end up with is the first back to back Big XII champs in the history of the league, that would be pretty damn good and it would mean we'd be playing in the Fiesta (at a minimum). BOOMER!

85sooners
11/27/2007, 10:14 AM
:hot:

LRoss
11/27/2007, 10:59 AM
How about a MNC game between conference division non-winners Georgia and Kansas?

I won't happen because of OSU, I know, but it could come close enough to be hilarious to think about at least, right? And (of course it's EXTREMELY unlikely that WV loses) it's theoretically possible that at least one of 'em gets in, yes?

Sooner Among The Pack
11/27/2007, 11:22 AM
The "BCS Expert" Brad Edwards (who seems like he knows what he is talking about, especially for ESPN) said that he believes there is no way the AP and Coaches would let Georgia or Kansas up to #2 if MU and WVU lose.

In his "doomsday scenario", if MU, WVU, LSU, and VT all lose Saturday, Oklahoma would play Ohio State for the MNC.

astro5169
11/27/2007, 11:24 AM
OK.........We beat Misery and Play Kansas in the Fiesta.... Magina thinks "Fiesta" is Mexican for Buffet..... He dies of heart attack from the excitement.

Is his face turning purple?