PDA

View Full Version : Fiesta Bowl opponent

The Maestro
11/25/2007, 08:22 PM
So...what do you think or who do you want...yes, assuming we win.

I think Hawaii, if they get by Washington, is headed to the Sugar Bowl since they get last pick.

USC will get the Rose Bowl with a win over UCLA and that WILL happen. That's fine with me...I want no part of the way they are playing right now.

Now will LSU be locked into the Sugar Bowl with a win over Tennessee? Not sure exactly...honestly, I would LOVE to play LSU outside of New Orleans. LSU and OU in the Fiesta Bowl would be light years better and probably better rated than a national title game between WVU-Ohio State.

If not LSU, I assume Georgia would be an at large nominee...I'd be happy with that as well...really like Richt and would prefer playing a team I hate, so Georgia is not my first choice.

ASU is also out there with a win over Arizona as an at large bid. It would be a rematch of the 1982 Fiesta Bowl and as a Phoenix resident I would LOVE for the Sooners to shut up the wannabes of Tempe and lay the cocky Carpenter flat out.

Regardless, it should be a better team, as far as national scale, than Boise State. If there is any way OU and LSU could meet I would freaking love that. Hell, I guess if we beat Missouri it could be OU-Kansas, but let's hope not since in the same conference.

silverwheels
11/25/2007, 08:23 PM
SEC champ is locked into the Sugar Bowl unless that team gets into the NC game.

If we win, I think we're looking at Arizona State or Georgia.

The Maestro
11/25/2007, 08:31 PM
Cool...thanks for the info. Here is Brad Edwards take. Hell, he even said OU has a beef for the title game if we beat Missouri and, by some miracle, Pitt beats West Virginia. He said it becomes Ohio State and a two loss team...can't really be Georgia or Kansas due to not even winning their division in their conference...which leaves LSU, Va Tech, USC and OU fighting for the spot. Crazy *** year...I hope West Virginia loses just to make it incredibly interesting...

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/news/story?page=bcs077&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fpage%3dbcs077

Oh, and Edwards sees Arizona State in the Fiesta Bowl...which makes sense. But that is assuming they get by Arizona which could be tough now.

SoonerBOI
11/25/2007, 08:44 PM
I know it will not happen but OU vs. UGA intrigues me a lot.

JohnnyMack
11/25/2007, 09:21 PM
Cool...thanks for the info. Here is Brad Edwards take. Hell, he even said OU has a beef for the title game if we beat Missouri and, by some miracle, Pitt beats West Virginia. He said it becomes Ohio State and a two loss team...can't really be Georgia or Kansas due to not even winning their division in their conference...which leaves LSU, Va Tech, USC and OU fighting for the spot. Crazy *** year...I hope West Virginia loses just to make it incredibly interesting...

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/news/story?page=bcs077&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fpage%3dbcs077

Oh, and Edwards sees Arizona State in the Fiesta Bowl...which makes sense. But that is assuming they get by Arizona which could be tough now.

If Pitt beats WVU in Morgantown I'll kiss your *** at high noon on the courthouse steps.

The Maestro
11/25/2007, 09:52 PM
If Pitt beats WVU in Morgantown I'll kiss your *** at high noon on the courthouse steps.

Trust me...I agree. But Arky at LSU wasn't too likely either...Illinois at Ohio State, OU at Colorado and so on...about the least likely scenario, though.

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2007, 09:55 PM
I know it will not happen but OU vs. UGA intrigues me a lot.
I like that matchup cause i don't think we have ever played them

JohnnyMack
11/25/2007, 09:59 PM
Trust me...I agree. But Arky at LSU wasn't too likely either...Illinois at Ohio State, OU at Colorado and so on...about the least likely scenario, though.

And I won't use chapstick.

setem
11/25/2007, 10:00 PM
What about the Hawaii they get an an auto bit for being in the top 12 and being undefeated?

Shades of BSU!

I would like to see a OU - GA game or another OU - LSU game. ASU could be fun! I think USC - OU would be a the best though! We have the tools to beat them.

I think the coolest would be OU - KU and we stomp em into the ground!

AllAboutThe'O'
11/25/2007, 10:01 PM
I think it will be the Sun Devils. I'm sure the Fiesta Bowl would be guaranteed a sellout if they invited ASU, although they wouldn't get as much revenue from hotels and dining establishments since Sun Devil fans won't have to travel too far.
I've heard Georgia may get the invite to play USC in the Rose, provided the Trojans win out and they don't get picked for the BCS title game and Ohio State gets selected instead.

silverwheels
11/25/2007, 10:06 PM
I think it's going to be

Rose - USC vs. Georgia
Fiesta - OU vs. Arizona State
Sugar - LSU vs. Hawai'i
Orange - BC vs. Kansas
NC Game - West Virginia vs. Ohio State

It could also be

Rose - USC vs. Ohio State
Fiesta - Arizona State vs. Georgia
Sugar - Tennessee vs. Hawai'i
Orange - VT vs. Kansas
NC Game - Mizzou vs. West Virginia

Or any combination of the two, only having the max number 2 teams from any conference, of course.

silverwheels
11/25/2007, 10:15 PM
It appears the only certainties are

Georgia is getting an at-large
The SEC Champ will be in the Sugar
The ACC Champ will be in the Orange
The Pac-10 Champ will be in the Rose

Everything else is still up for grabs.

chad
11/25/2007, 11:19 PM
My picks when OU wins:
Rose: USC v Illinois
Fiesta: OU v Arizona State
Sugar: LSU v Hawaii
Orange: Virginia Tech v Georgia

NC: WV v OSU

Should something bad happen and OU loses:
Rose: USC v OSU
Fiesta: KU v Arizona State
Sugar: LSU v Hawaii
Orange: Virginia Tech v Georgia

NC: Mizzou v WV

Of course it could all change next week with another upset.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/25/2007, 11:28 PM
If the good guys win (provided WVU beats Pitt, Va. Tech beats BC, LSU beats Rocky Top and USC beats UCLA):
BCS Title - WVU vs. Ohio State
Fiesta - OU vs. Arizona State
Rose - USC vs. Georgia
Sugar - LSU vs. Hawaii
Orange - VTech vs. Mizzou (a.k.a. Journalism U.)
Now, if Journalism U. does the unthinkable....
BCS Title - Journalism U. vs. WVU
Fiesta - Arizona State vs. Kansas
Rose - USC vs. Ohio State
Sugar - LSU vs. Hawaii
Orange - VTech vs. Georgia

Sooner98
11/26/2007, 12:04 AM
I think it will be the Sun Devils. I'm sure the Fiesta Bowl would be guaranteed a sellout if they invited ASU, although they wouldn't get as much revenue from hotels and dining establishments since Sun Devil fans won't have to travel too far.
I've heard Georgia may get the invite to play USC in the Rose, provided the Trojans win out and they don't get picked for the BCS title game and Ohio State gets selected instead.

I'm pretty sure all Fiesta Bowl officials care about is selling tickets to the game, and don't really give a flip about the surrounding restaurants and hotels. Arizona State vs. whoever has got to be their dream scenario. Go ahead and book the Sun Devils there, assuming they get by Arizona.

silverwheels
11/26/2007, 12:09 AM
I'm pretty sure all Fiesta Bowl officials care about is selling tickets to the game, and don't really give a flip about the surrounding restaurants and hotels. Arizona State vs. whoever has got to be their dream scenario. Go ahead and book the Sun Devils there, assuming they get by Arizona.

Well, if UCLA beats USC, that would send Arizona State to the Rose Bowl if they beat Arizona, so that's not totally a done deal yet. But I expect USC to tear UCLA a new one.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/26/2007, 12:48 AM
Well, if UCLA beats USC, that would send Arizona State to the Rose Bowl if they beat Arizona, so that's not totally a done deal yet. But I expect USC to tear UCLA a new one.
Uh, the way this season's been going, that's no guarantee. After all, we expected:
Michigan to tear App State a new one.
USC to tear Stanford a new one.
Cal to tear Oregon State a new one.
OU to tear Colorado and Texas Tech a new one.
LSU to tear Arkansas a new one.
Georgia to tear Tennessee a new one.
Texas to tear Kansas State a new one.
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see another shocker or two next Saturday. This season has definitely been the epitome of the phrase "don't count your chickens before they hatch."

silverwheels
11/26/2007, 12:52 AM
Very true, but it's still safer to go with the favorite.

And actually, they could win the Pac-10 if they beat USC and Arizona beats ASU. :eek:

cheezyq
11/26/2007, 12:56 AM
SEC champ is locked into the Sugar Bowl unless that team gets into the NC game.

If we win, I think we're looking at Arizona State or Georgia.

Which means we won't play LSU. If LSU wins SEC, they go to Sugar and Georgia gets the BCS at large. If LSU loses, Tennessee gets the Sugar, and Georgia still gets the BCS at large.

Wouldn't that be funny? LSU, the 2nd greatest team of all time (behind the USC teams circa 2003-2005), not even in the BCS. I'd be lovin' me some of that.

soonerinabilene
11/26/2007, 12:56 AM
My picks when OU wins:
Rose: USC v Illinois

:confused: You serious, Clark?

chad
11/26/2007, 01:03 AM
:confused: you serious, Clark?

As weird as it sounds, it is a strong possibility.

Remember the PAC-10, Big 10 whine when there isn't that match up in the Rose bowl.

Illinois is getting quite a bit of attention lately, and with Michigan between coaches Illinois is the next favorite pick in the Big 10.