PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Game in Mizzou's History

Octavian
11/25/2007, 05:48 PM
For Mizzou, the '07 Big XII Title Game has to be the biggest game in their history. If the Tigers win this game, they'll most likely win the National Championship (they'll smoke WV imo). There are old timers throughout the State of Missurah who've waited their entire lives for this chance. Missouri fans have never seen their Tigers win a NC in anything significant that I recall --zero NC's in football and basketball. Many a Tiger fan would probably tell you they could die happily if they could see Missouri win a football national championship. Never has a game been bigger for the Tigers.

For Oklahoma, it's a rather odd position. Our program and fanbase expect to be here...almost every year. This will be Bob's sixth conference title game in eight years. Usually, some North squad is trying to derail our NC hopes. Now the roles are reversed, and we're the potential spoiler to someone else's party. They are the ones who have more to lose. Moreover, we've already beaten them....and we're probably more athletically gifted from position to position. Obviously though, they're #1 for a reason. We will have to be extremely disciplined on D to contain their explosive offense. They're very talented at the skill positions.

With such a disparity between Oklahoma's and Missouri's past experiences....how will the teams handle the spotlight? Will #1 Mizzou be awed by the big stage with everything on the line? Will they be tight? Will OU come out flat without the possibility of winning a NC?

While OU can certainly beat Missouri again, it's a tough task. We have our hands full. For us, it's another big game in a long history of big games. For Missouri, it's the biggest game ever. Hopefully, it's a classic game that's played well for 4 quarters. It should be a great game.

Octavian
11/25/2007, 05:54 PM
It's also sort of fitting that in order for Missouri to really be Cinderella, they have to beat the historical heavyweight.

Two old Big Eight teams with the national title on the line. Can't wait.

Curly Bill
11/25/2007, 06:00 PM
It's also sort of fitting that in order for Missouri to really be Cinderella, they have to beat the historical heavyweight.

I say we kick Cinderella right in the gonads. Otherwise it's hear the ABC idiots drooling over Chase Daniel as the second coming of Johnny Unitas. :mad:
...and Maclin as the next Bob Hayes. :mad:

AverageJoe
11/25/2007, 06:03 PM
It will probably just make their fans more nasty. Watch out for flyin' beer bottles.

It is a must win for the Sooner's. OU cannot let another Big 12 Team play for or win the National Title. If they beat us fair and square so be it. If OUr D or OUr o-line just plays really soft and unispired like they have a few times this year and we get flattened I will be very upset. Or if we go to that prevent D when ahead.

The Big 12 is OUr leauge just like the Big 8 was for most of it's existence I want it to stay that way. Do I hope other Big 12 teams, other than Texas, win games during the year and their bowl games? Yeah. But not the TITLE. That is taking Big 12 loyalty way to far. In OUr recruiting territory you WANT to be the only team that wins national titles.

AJ

UTsucks
11/25/2007, 06:16 PM
Let me give you some background. In a former life I was a bookie in Chicago and made a TON of cash. So over the years I made a lot of "good" contacts in Las Vegas. So I called out there today and just as I suspected the money flowing in is on MIZZOU NOT OU! Soooooooooooo you ask what does this mean?

Over 10 years of tracking when a game like this came up about 98% of the time it went the other way(OU). My point is I LOVE IT! Write OU off and talk about Chase all dam week. My money will be on OU while sitting at the Bellago watching the game. Don't worry sooner fans we have the power of betting history on our side. :D

BillyBall
11/25/2007, 06:21 PM
No Tradition (Clap..Clap.. Clap,Clap,Clap)

rubyspirit
11/25/2007, 07:37 PM
Well, it is an odd year, and an away game for Sammy. Think twice.

I will root for OU though. Hope Halzle is snapping a few this week at practice.

Big Red Ron
11/25/2007, 07:41 PM
Mizzou

Football tradition that goes all the way back to Sept.

yes, I saw that on a sign..

The Maestro
11/25/2007, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I agree with Ruby's sentiment...OU away from home this year has something to prove to me. Yes, we beat Texas in Dallas, but even that was less than impressive compared to what everyone else has done to the horns.

swardboy
11/25/2007, 08:03 PM
Is this "tradition" still practiced?....

TIGER-SOONER PEACE PIPE - Ceremony of smoking the old pipe was inaugurated in 1929 by Chester M. Brewer, Mizzou's director of athletics, and by members of Mystical Seven, a University of Missouri honorary group ... The peace pipe was donated by a Mr. R. L. Hill, an "M" man and former president of the Missouri student body ... Ceremony takes place during halves, with Mystical Seven representing Missouri, and a similar organization representing Oklahoma ... Missouri won the first game, 13-0.

Soonerus
11/25/2007, 08:05 PM
Mizzou is one the schitzo teams of all time, OU will probably shut out the Tigers...

KantoSooner
11/25/2007, 08:10 PM
They had a stud db when they played us, Pig Brown (?). He was later injured. Is he back? Will he play? I recall hearing his name called alot when they came to Norman.

Easting
11/25/2007, 08:17 PM
We had English with the pass rush too...so...

2k2 c5
11/25/2007, 08:17 PM

I will root for OU though. Hope Halzle is snapping a few this week at practice.

Given, it is the odd year but I consider it more neutral like the Texsux game, rather than away.

Big Red Ron
11/25/2007, 08:18 PM
We had English with the pass rush too...so...He's not playing after four weeks?

Stitch Face
11/25/2007, 08:33 PM

I will root for OU though.

That's big of you, Red. If we were bigtime 'dogs would you root for the other team?

chad
11/25/2007, 11:38 PM
This could be the most interesting Big 12 championship game yet.

The last one I thought was actually interesting to watch was the 2001 game with CU and UT.

Sure the OU games were fun to watch (except for 03) but those were more of highlight games, rather than good football.

yermom
11/25/2007, 11:45 PM
how well do they think the Mizzou fans will show up in San Antonio?

i'm SO glad we aren't in Arrowhead or STL...

sooneron
11/25/2007, 11:49 PM
This could be the most interesting Big 12 championship game yet.

The last one I thought was actually interesting to watch was the 2001 game with CU and UT.

Sure the OU games were fun to watch (except for 03) but those were more of highlight games, rather than good football.
2000 wasn't a good game?:confused:

yermom
11/25/2007, 11:50 PM
well, that was before the 2001 game

sooneron
11/25/2007, 11:54 PM
well, that was before the 2001 game
Read the post - our games were fun, but just for highlights.

OK2LA
11/26/2007, 12:01 AM
I say we kick Cinderella right in the gonads.

Wouldn't that make it Cinderfella?

chad
11/26/2007, 12:20 AM
2000 wasn't a good game?:confused:
2000 was a great game that kept me on my seat. But I was talking about the last one that was actually interesting, which was in 2001.

Actually thinking back, I remember most of the Big 12 games up until the South really took hold in 2002 as being close and intense games. I hope those days come back, as long as OU can continue to be the powerhouse.

kevpks
11/26/2007, 02:03 AM
I thought last year's game was pretty good. I still remember "the drive."

AlbqSooner
11/26/2007, 07:15 AM
Two old Big Eight teams with the national title on the line. Can't wait.
Ask Nebraska how that worked out historically.;)

SoonerJack
11/26/2007, 08:11 AM
Mizzou

Football tradition that goes all the way back to Sept.

yes, I saw that on a sign..

I saw that too but I think it was in reference to Kansas. However, it applies to MU as well.

The VIIIth
11/26/2007, 10:23 AM
We had English with the pass rush too...so...

They will also have Tony Temple this time around...any semblance of a running game can only help them.

Did they sustain any injuries against KU this weekend, other than being winded from scoring?

cvsooner
11/26/2007, 12:39 PM
This matchup is beginning to remind me of the 2003 game, oddly enough. Mizzou is catching all this praise from the media as the greatest team EVER and UNSTOPPABLE and they REALLY BEAT US the first time.

Except for not having played each other in 2003, doesn't that remind you of KSU and us?

There are so many factors that can change the outcome of this game. What if Daniel gets hurt? We've seen what that can do first hand. Ask Oregon.

I really like coming in as the #9 team and they're # 1, I like being the underdog. I am tired of being the signature win for other schools, I can tell you that. I'm tired of being the win that "will mean a lot for our program."

Put a beatin' on them Tigers. I really like Venables' sarcastic comment about "hopefully we'll get lucky again." I suspect the Tigers are walking into a Tiger trap.

Yes, the game is on the road, but I'm glad it's not in KC, especially. We're due to play really well on the road. I think it's time. And, really, when we've had big challenges/questions this year, we've risen to the occasion: could we beat Miami? Could we beat Texas? Could we rebound from losses at CU and Tech? Could we beat Mizzou? Could we win the Big 12 South?

It'll be close. Mizzou is a talented team, no question. But they're beatable. Obviously.

cj@mizzou
11/26/2007, 04:03 PM
Coffman is questionable this weekend with ankle problems and obviously Pig... these are the main injuries Missouri will feel this weekend. However, Mizzou will have Temple which should allow us to run the ball a bit more.

Minus Murray and English will definitely take some pressure off of Mizzou, but the Tigers have to play mistake free football on Saturday to win the Big 12. I don't see OU leaving any room for error.

I've been to every home game plus the Border War this year, and the main difference I saw aside from the W was that Chase never got comfortable the first go round in Norman. He was throwing the ball away a lot and the pressure definitely got to him. I think most of that is due to OU's amazing line, but I look to see Chase settle down a little more as hes played with confidence since Norman and been successful on the national stage.

My only jab... don't kickoff to Maclin.

Should be a heck of a game!!! Its nice to finally be here, I hope it lasts for a little bit!

The Maestro
11/26/2007, 04:07 PM
I say we get Billy Tubbs to come out a few minutes into this game and have him make a comment to fans about throwing things on the field if the officiating his bad...and that will surely make the Tigers fans shiver in bad memories from the past!