PDA

View Full Version : BCS

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2007, 04:55 PM
ESPN has the new BCS, and we're number 9; USC jumped us and LSU fell to 7 and KU to 5

madillsoonerfan5353
11/25/2007, 05:17 PM
ESPN has the new BCS, and we're number 9; USC jumped us and LSU fell to 7 and KU to 5

I know, how in the hell did we get jumped by suc? They lost to a 40 point underdog!

:confused:

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2007, 05:21 PM
They also kicked the hell out of a ranked team last week.

soonersn2007
11/25/2007, 05:30 PM
So if we beat a no.1 Mizzou team(again), that should make us the highest ranked 2-loss team?

How about we beat Mizzou twice, and they are still ranked ahead of us in next week's polls lol.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2007, 05:32 PM
Where did all the playoff threads go?:rolleyes:

Curly Bill
11/25/2007, 05:42 PM

You've gone and done it now! :pop: :rolleyes:

soonersn2007
11/25/2007, 05:44 PM
We are currently being stupified by voters and the BCS system, we shall resume that mob debate soon.

NYC Poke
11/25/2007, 05:49 PM

FWIW, I inadvertantly hijacked the Cotton Bowl thread in that direction. I won't do it again.

Blues1
11/25/2007, 05:52 PM
FWIW, I inadvertantly hijacked the Cotton Bowl thread in that direction. I won't do it again.

It's OK by me...... :)

josh09
11/25/2007, 06:21 PM
If we beat #1 Mizzou then I think we jump to #5 or #4.

silverwheels
11/25/2007, 06:23 PM

In the dead horse folder. No one's opinion on the subject is going to change after one wacky season.

Curly Bill
11/25/2007, 06:25 PM
No one's opinion on the subject is going to change after one wacky season.

True statement there...but that hasn't stopped anyone from trying so far. ;)

silverwheels
11/25/2007, 06:26 PM
True statement there...but that hasn't stopped anyone from trying so far. ;)

Several...dozen times. My opinion on the subject was decided way before this season.

kevpks
11/25/2007, 06:45 PM
So if we beat a no.1 Mizzou team(again), that should make us the highest ranked 2-loss team?

How about we beat Mizzou twice, and they are still ranked ahead of us in next week's polls lol.

If we beat Mizzou they will still be ranked ahead of us because they have better losses than us. :rolleyes:

Okla-homey
11/25/2007, 07:07 PM
If you people cannot see the wisdom of a D-1 play-off based on this kettle of fish, you are indeed hopeless.

To wit, we will beat Mizzou in SA. As Big 12 champs, if there were a play-off system in place, we would get a berth as Big12 champeens. If we kept winning, we could still win all the marbles.

OTOH, we still win the conference, which is way cool. However, in the process, we "spoil" it for Mizzou, and the Big 12 (to the tune of about $9M in broadcast royalties).

chad
11/25/2007, 07:23 PM
It looks like OU got blacklisted from the Championship game. We should be right by kansas, #5 or #6.
OU was given no respect for putting away Okie-lite, even with Bradford setting a new NCAA season record.

Even if we were to kill Mizzou next week there is no way we could jump Georgia or OSU as they don't play. WV, LSU and VT would all have to lose as well to even get us in that situation.

As most though, it looks like the best we can do is the Fiesta Bowl, which isn't a bad thing. but is slightly disappointing given the way the season has gone.

bluedogok
11/25/2007, 07:25 PM
OTOH, we still win the conference, which is way cool. However, in the process, we "spoil" it for Mizzou, and the Big 12 (to the tune of about $9M in broadcast royalties).
I could care less about broadcast royalties that Mizzou could generate.

soonersn2007
11/25/2007, 07:28 PM
I deny the label as a spoiler, if we beat Mizzou again.........we have to be the highest ranked big XII team.

rubyspirit
11/25/2007, 07:29 PM
Not true. Any team that goes to a bowl is given $$ ... which comes from broadcast fees.

Curly Bill
11/25/2007, 07:59 PM
It looks like OU got blacklisted from the Championship game.

Blacklisted? Are you kidding? All we had to do was beat TT, osu, and win the Big XII championship game to be in the NC game. How is that being blacklisted? If we're blacklisted we did it to OUrselves by not beating TT.

Curly Bill
11/25/2007, 08:01 PM
OU was given no respect for putting away Okie-lite, even with Bradford setting a new NCAA season record.

Respect for putting away okie-lite...:confused: Should we have been catapulted to #1 for putting away such a powerhouse?

OklaPony
11/25/2007, 08:02 PM

If we beat Mizzou they will still be ranked ahead of us because they have better losses than us. :rolleyes:
Yaknow, that'd be funny if it weren't actually possible. I can see it now... we pummel Tigger, they fall to 5 and we jump to 6. I can't wait to hear the defenders of the BCS try to explain that scenario if it comes to pass.

Sooner_Havok
11/25/2007, 08:03 PM
Blacklisted? Are you kidding? All we had to do was beat TT, osu, and win the Big XII championship game to be in the NC game. How is that being blacklisted? If we're blacklisted we did it to OUrselves by not beating TT.

Colorado too, don't forget them! We ****ed ourselves this year, let's just all hope and pray we don't get Hawaii in the Fiesta Bowl. One more David v Goliath ****ing game and I am going to have to choke a bitch! Heres hoping for an OU/UGA game!

Lott's Bandana
11/25/2007, 08:14 PM
I just can't help comparing the argument that Hawai'i plays too soft a schedule, with the paradox that West BG Virginia will likely get into the NC game.

Sometimes I miss the old AP/UPI days when a loss dropped you out of the top 10 and everyone moved up into the now vacant spots. I still look at the list ABC had on the screen at the end of the M/K game that showed 4 teams ahead of OU losing. So, my old school mind says: Ok, now we are up to #6.

Dream over. It has been an entire season of: 4 teams ahead of OU lose, OU wins, moves up 1 and gets jumped by 2.

ESPN has way too much influence on CF. It starts in the summer with their embedded reporter giving daily reports from Trojan practices...because they are the best team to ever take the field! (how'd that work out?)

4 years ago there wasn't a talking head on that network that didn't want a playoff...now Lou Holtz is the only one that calls for one, the rest all mouth that talking point, "Every week is a playoff", crapola. That's because ABC/ESPN knows it is in their best interest to promote and show big matchups each weekend and someone has convinced them that a playoff would ruin that. Therefore, all the anal-ists follow the party line. Funny, the NFL seems to be doing okay last time me and tens of millions of viewers looked.

Curly Bill
11/25/2007, 08:19 PM
the NFL seems to be doing okay last time me and tens of millions of viewers looked.

Oh please God, lets not wish college football was like the NFL. College football, for it's problems, is still for the football purest a much better product then the NFL.

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2007, 08:22 PM
Yaknow, that'd be funny if it weren't actually possible. I can see it now... we pummel Tigger, they fall to 5 and we jump to 6. I can't wait to hear the defenders of the BCS try to explain that scenario if it comes to pass.

What in the heck does that have to do with the BCS? Under that scenario, OU would go to the Fiesta and Missouri wouldn't-exactly as if OU was ranked 5 and Missouri 6.

There's really only four rankings that matter in the BCS-1,2,3, and 12. One and two get to go to the big game. Three is guaranteed a spot in a BCS bowl. A non-BCS team is guaranteed a BCS slot at 12 if there's any BCS conference champ ranked below them.

Leroy Lizard
11/25/2007, 08:37 PM
If you people cannot see the wisdom of a D-1 play-off based on this kettle of fish, you are indeed hopeless.

To wit, we will beat Mizzou in SA. As Big 12 champs, if there were a play-off system in place, we would get a berth as Big12 champeens. If we kept winning, we could still win all the marbles.

The worth of a playoff is based on whether OU can still win the national title in a year in which it has lost to both Colorado and Texas Tech?

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2007, 08:39 PM
You know, I generally go with the "Don't bitch about your ranking when you lose to two teams that are barely bowl-eligible" card.
It's very similar to the "Don't bitch about your ranking when you 1. lost a game or 2. played the Citadel" card.

Curly Bill
11/25/2007, 08:42 PM
Youze last two posters are indeed correct!

RacerX
11/25/2007, 08:43 PM
Not true. Any team that goes to a bowl is given $$ ... which comes from broadcast fees.

The money for Mizzou in THE game > The money for some other Big 12 game in some other BCS game

SoonerKnight
11/25/2007, 08:58 PM

Not really! They got beat by OU who lost to Colorado! Then they will lose to a OU team that got beat by TT :( They would not have better losses in fact this would prove that they are not ready for such spotlight and should go back into their shell for another 47 years! Has Stoops ever lost to Missouri??????? I can't remember if they had. I think Missouri will lose again I just hope Ohio State loses as well then we should be the highest ranked 2 loss team and who knows what happens after that. The Pac-10 is weak and SUC well they suck! So at the very least we should get to play a decent team in the Fiesta and WIN! We should be in the title game but doesn't seem like that will happen even though our losses were a lot better than USC's or LSU's if there is such a thing. Anyway I just want to see #1 Missouri get beat!!

Sooner_Havok
11/25/2007, 09:01 PM
Not really! They got beat by OU who lost to Colorado! Then they willlose to a OU team that got beat by TT :( They would not have better losses in fact this would prove that they are not ready for such spotlight and should go back into their shell for another 47 years! Has Stoops ever lost to Missouri??????? I can't remember if they had. I think Missouri will lose again I just hope Ohio State loses as well then we should be the highest ranked 2 loss team and who knows what happens after that. The
Pac-10 is weak and SUC well the suck! So at the very least we should get to play a decent team in the Fiesta and WIN! We should be in the title game but doesn't seem like that will happen even though our losses were a lot better than USC's or LSU's if there is such a thing. Anyway I just want to see #1 Missouri get beat!!

Umm, tOSU is done

bluedogok
11/25/2007, 09:23 PM
Umm, tOSU is done
Hey...don't let facts get in the way of an opinion....

Lott's Bandana
11/25/2007, 09:44 PM
The worth of a playoff is based on whether OU can still win the national title in a year in which it has lost to both Colorado and Texas Tech?

Normally, I would ABSOLUTELY agree and be happy with this opportunity to win a second-straight BigXII Championship.

Normally, there is a team or two that absolutely dominates and leaves no doubt they are the best team and deserve the BCS title game. May I remind you (tongue in cheek) that Missouri and West Virginia are #1 and #2 right now?

I can't speak for all the rest of the frustrated OU fans on this board...but I sometimes believe OU could beat any team in the country. Hence a continued call for a playoff. We lost to Colorado for many obtuse reasons that formed a collective punch in the face. We lost at TT because the #1 rated QB in the nation played 3 plays.

This is a weird year, and I acknowledge that it is also weird to feel so jilted after two losses, but there isn't any other team with that moxie there usually is, so yes, I think OU would do well in a playoff right now.

Originally posted by Curly Bill
Oh please God, lets not wish college football was like the NFL. College football, for it's problems, is still for the football purest a much better product then the NFL.

Curly Bill, you are so right...I don't wish CF to become the NFL, but NCAA Hoops isn't the NBA either and look at how fantabulous March Madness is?

Lott's Bandana
11/25/2007, 09:50 PM

I love the double entendree thingy you got going all up in there!

:D

chad
11/25/2007, 10:18 PM
I say blacklisted because we are arguably the best 2 loss team, and we aren't even in any of the talks of the NC game scenarios.

LSU even after losing 2 games and struggling in 4 other games could still make the NC game.
Georgia, who can't even win their conference could get in.

While I realize we had 2 chances and blew them both, we should be ranked higher currently.

We should be ranked right by Kansas, that way a win will allow us to jump both KU and Mizzou without controversy, and a loss would put us in the proper spot around 10th. A loss this weekend would drop us to 15th or so, which is way lower than we should be ranked.
This is how it should look when we win (LSU, VT, and WV win)
1. WV
2. OSU
3. LSU
4. UGA
5. VT
6. OU
7. Mizzou
8. KU
9. USC
10. Florida

Those ranks don't flow with the current rankings.

As others have said, screw the BCS. We just need to win this weekend and forget about all of this other stuff.

Curly Bill
11/25/2007, 10:23 PM
We just need to win this weekend and forget about all of this other stuff.

...you mean like the rankings?

Agree and you make my point. Disagree and you are disagreeing with your own words above. GOTCHA! :D :D

chad
11/25/2007, 10:28 PM
Respect for putting away okie-lite...:confused: Should we have been catapulted to #1 for putting away such a powerhouse?
We moved up 1 spot from last week, when 4 teams ahead of us lost. That is why there is no respect, even when we had a solid win against a 6-6 team.

Hell, USC jumped 3 spots (and ahead of us) and they lost to Stanford earlier in the year. OU should have moved up 2 spots, rather than being jumped by USC.

I would argue moving up 3 spots and being ranked # 7 ahead of USC and LSU, as LSU has played mediocre through the last half of their season.

chad
11/25/2007, 10:30 PM
...you mean like the rankings?

Agree and you make my point. Disagree and you are disagreeing with your own words above. GOTCHA! :D :D

I agree.

now give me my green back :D

jwlynn64
11/25/2007, 10:36 PM
Don't forget that LSU has not lost a game this year in regulation. Without a doubt, they should be the highest ranked two loss team even though they have had to win several times in the final minute of the game.

As far as USC is concerned, lets just wait until after next weeks game. If we win that one, and I'm confident that OU will, they should move us past USC (assuming USC wins its game against UCLA). In any case, they win the PAC-10 and play in the Rose and we win the Big XII and go to the Fiesta.

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2007, 10:38 PM
I say blacklisted because we are arguably the best 2 loss team, and we aren't even in any of the talks of the NC game scenarios.

Who cares!? Okay, I guess if a 4-7 Pitt can upset WVU on the road... But if OU beats the #1 team next week, I doubt there will be any problems being the highest rated 2 loss team (if that means anything). The BCS was good to OU this year in that the early loss to an unranked team had no impact. If OU wins out from there, they're in as the #1 team - period. Same for LSU/UK, USC/Stanford, Florida/Auburn and on and on if any of them could have avoided the 2nd loss. Now it's true for UWV and Mizzou. Acorn OSU avoids the CCG, but has to wait in the wings because of it. I say live by the system, then die by the system. I can't see any reason to whine this year.

Curly Bill
11/25/2007, 10:38 PM
I agree.

LOL

I didn't give you any bad spek, and I don't know if I gotta enough green in me to help you out that much.

OU-HSV
11/26/2007, 12:01 AM
Don't forget that LSU has not lost a game this year in regulation. Without a doubt, they should be the highest ranked two loss team even though they have had to win several times in the final minute of the game.

As far as USC is concerned, lets just wait until after next weeks game. If we win that one, and I'm confident that OU will, they should move us past USC (assuming USC wins its game against UCLA). In any case, they win the PAC-10 and play in the Rose and we win the Big XII and go to the Fiesta.
Im just not buying into this LSU crap that some people are spewing. Overtime or not, they never should have lost to an average Hogs squad or an average Kentucky team. JUST AS we should never have lost to an average Colorado squad or a weak Tech squad. BUT IF we're gonna make excuses for LSU and others, then why not make excuses for OU.
Here would be our excuses:
-We lost on the last play of the game at Colorado
-We lost to Tech because our stud QB got knocked out early

But in all honesty, I'm not gonna support making excuses for us, so why should we make excuses for other teams. It's not our year to win the big one...as it's not Florida's year, LSU's year (and so on)

OU-HSV
11/26/2007, 12:03 AM
I agree.

You're welcome

sooneron
11/26/2007, 12:05 AM
I agree.

He who asks for spek, gets neg. sorry:rolleyes:

OU-HSV
11/26/2007, 12:18 AM
Can anyone explain to me what it is that makes the computers love SUC (among other teams) more than us. Or is that explanation out of the grasp of any of us Soonerfans?

Leroy Lizard
11/26/2007, 12:38 AM
SUC lost to Oregon at a time when Oregon was very highly ranked. That could be it.

This is a weird year, and I acknowledge that it is also weird to feel so jilted after two losses, but there isn't any other team with that moxie there usually is, so yes, I think OU would do well in a playoff right now.

Sure, OU COULD win the national title if there was a playoff. But that isn't a logical reason to institute a playoff. The college football world doesn't revolve around what's best for the Sooners.

So we have a bunch of mediocre teams vying for a national title this year. A playoff isn't going to turn them into strong teams.

silverwheels
11/26/2007, 12:42 AM
So we have a bunch of mediocre teams vying for a national title this year. A playoff isn't going to turn them into strong teams.

No, but it is going to do a better job of separating them than human voters and computer formulas picking 2 out of a bunch.

Lott's Bandana
11/26/2007, 01:12 AM
Sure, OU COULD win the national title if there was a playoff. But that isn't a logical reason to institute a playoff. The college football world doesn't revolve around what's best for the Sooners.

It should! :P

Epiphany:

I have been screaming at the polls for 41 years and the computers since they were brought into the mix and I always believed the National Champion should be the best team, period.

About a month ago it hit me. Just like any other major sport, professional or college or even high school...the Champion isn't always the best team, it is often the one that survives the playoff format presented. In MOST cases, the chaff is separated in the early rounds and the deserving teams battle it out in the semis and finals...look no further than NCAA basketball. A 16 seed has NEVER made it to the Final Four. Sure, there are occasional Villanovas, but nobody ever said they didn't earn their Championship.

If tOSU wins another NC this year, IMHO they did NOT earn it. This just happens to be a wacky year that illuminates the absurdity of our current system.

Your comment about mediocrity is a perfect example: if there was a playoff getting ready to begin, we wouldn't need to use subjective labels like mediocre, we would likely be anticipating a playoff for the ages because it seems there are about 6-10 teams that could legitimately end up winning a playoff final, OU being one of them. Nobody would care about mediocre. It would be called parity.

jwlynn64
11/26/2007, 01:19 AM
Im just not buying into this LSU crap that some people are spewing. Overtime or not, they never should have lost to an average Hogs squad or an average Kentucky team.

It's not about whether they should have lost or not. They did lose but they lost both games in overtime.

If the NCAA didn't have overtime like it used to be, who would be ranked higher, a team with no loses and two ties or a team with two loses? Is there even any question?

Crucifax Autumn
11/26/2007, 02:33 AM
If I was a voter it would depend on the circumstances of the ties and losses and who they were playing. In 1984 (?) I'd have ranked Texass last after Fred Akers' nutless call to go for the tie rather than the win, but if he'd been down 2 and went for the 2 I'd have ranked them among the best.

SOONER44EVER
11/26/2007, 02:46 AM
LSU and USC both lost AT HOME to unranked opponents. Thats the main reason I'd have us ranked ahead of them.

Leroy Lizard
11/26/2007, 03:27 AM
No, but it is going to do a better job of separating them than human voters and computer formulas picking 2 out of a bunch.

Picking out the best team from a bunch strong teams is no easier than from a bunch of weaker teams. So I don't see how the playoff is so necessary this year.

Whichever two teams play for the national title will be the deserving champions because they did what they had to do to get there.

And if OU loses to Missouri and gets left out of the playoffs, everyone in here would be screaming. "Why should USC get in? Why should OU get penalized for playing an extra game?!!?"

Leroy Lizard
11/26/2007, 03:35 AM
Your comment about mediocrity is a perfect example: if there was a playoff getting ready to begin, we wouldn't need to use subjective labels like mediocre, we would likely be anticipating a playoff for the ages because it seems there are about 6-10 teams that could legitimately end up winning a playoff final, OU being one of them. Nobody would care about mediocre. It would be called parity.

If OU loses to Missouri (a team they beat earlier in the year), they don't get to play in the playoffs. But USC does, simply because it didn't have to play that extra game against the #1 team in the country.

And you are seriously going to tell us that no one in here would complain?

Sure, there are six to ten teams that could win a national title this year. Which ones? If OU loses to Missouri, does that mean it could not have gone the distance in the playoffs? But USC could? Does Hawaii get to compete? What if Tennessee wins the SEC? Should it be able to compete? What about Kansas? Georgia? Should USC get in over Virginia Tech? What if LSU loses in the CCG? What if Missouri loses in the CCG? Does it get to compete? It didn't win its conference, but it would certainly be ranked in the Top-10?

Leroy Lizard
11/26/2007, 03:36 AM
If I was a voter it would depend on the circumstances of the ties and losses and who they were playing. In 1984 (?) I'd have ranked Texass last after Fred Akers' nutless call to go for the tie rather than the win, but if he'd been down 2 and went for the 2 I'd have ranked them among the best.

Hmmmm... voting as a personal vendetta. Interesting approach.

silverwheels
11/26/2007, 04:06 AM
Picking out the best team from a bunch strong teams is no easier than from a bunch of weaker teams. So I don't see how the playoff is so necessary this year.

Whichever two teams play for the national title will be the deserving champions because they did what they had to do to get there.

And if OU loses to Missouri and gets left out of the playoffs, everyone in here would be screaming. "Why should USC get in? Why should OU get penalized for playing an extra game?!!?"

None of that even addressed what I said, as usual.

If OU loses to Missouri, then we don't deserve to be in the tournament. You're assuming the worst reaction because it would favor your side of the argument. Yay for you.

Leroy Lizard
11/26/2007, 05:34 AM
If OU loses to Missouri, then we don't deserve to be in the tournament.

But USC does? OU would only have one extra loss because it had to play one extra game... against the #1 team in the nation. What has USC done this year to get in over OU?

GreenSooner
11/26/2007, 07:23 AM
If there was a playoff getting ready to begin, we wouldn't need to use subjective labels like mediocre, we would likely be anticipating a playoff for the ages because it seems there are about 6-10 teams that could legitimately end up winning a playoff final, OU being one of them. Nobody would care about mediocre. It would be called parity.
This seems exactly right to me. The current system only really works if there are exactly two teams that are head-and-shoulders above the rest. You then get your clean BCS Championship game, which is, in turn, exciting because the two teams are both worthy. Needless to say, this almost never happens. If there's one, and only one, dominant team, the BCS Game will probably be a snooze....and everyone will be left asking whether the #3 team could've given them a better run for their money. And we know all too well what happens when there are a bunch of teams clustered at the top.

And that really is the situation this year. In a sane world, we wouldn't be bemoaning the mediocrity of D-I football. We'd be celebrating the large number of very good programs. Think how exciting a playoff featuring the top sixteeen schools would be!

Having said all that, the current system is the current system, and OU has absolutely nothing to complain about this year. We had our chances, and we just couldn't finish.

Now let's get it done in the Big XII Championship, then hope that the BCS gods smile on us and give us a normal Fiesta Bowl opponent instead of another cute'n'scruffy underdog from a non-BCS conference.

SoonerGM
11/26/2007, 09:06 AM
It's not about whether they should have lost or not. They did lose but they lost both games in overtime.

If the NCAA didn't have overtime like it used to be, who would be ranked higher, a team with no loses and two ties or a team with two loses? Is there even any question?

This is the year 2007, where the later your loss, the more it hurts. LSU somehow bypassed this. When OU lost to TT, we dropped to the lowest of the 2 loss teams. LSU lost just this weekend and that did not happen. Additionally, they have had several close games against some very crappy teams. If you believe what everyone on TV says about how good LSU is, they have no business scrapping by so many games this season. Sorry, their OT losses do not impress me at all.

I will grant USC thier jump over us because they beat #6. Even though I feel ASU was overrated, they were still a 1 loss team which was better than us at the time, so it is what it is.

OklaPony
11/26/2007, 09:45 AM
What in the heck does that have to do with the BCS? Under that scenario, OU would go to the Fiesta and Missouri wouldn't-exactly as if OU was ranked 5 and Missouri 6.

There's really only four rankings that matter in the BCS-1,2,3, and 12. One and two get to go to the big game. Three is guaranteed a spot in a BCS bowl. A non-BCS team is guaranteed a BCS slot at 12 if there's any BCS conference champ ranked below them.
No argument from me. I just think it would be an interesting (and unprecedented) scenario to beat a team twice, have the same overall record, and end up ranked below them.

TUSooner
11/26/2007, 10:30 AM
About a month ago it hit me. Just like any other major sport, professional or college or even high school...the Champion isn't always the best team, it is often the one that survives the playoff format presented. In MOST cases, the chaff is separated in the early rounds and the deserving teams battle it out in the semis and finals...look no further than NCAA basketball. A 16 seed has NEVER made it to the Final Four. Sure, there are occasional Villanovas, but nobody ever said they didn't earn their Championship.
Good point.
Part of the problem is the American TV sports fan's obsession with "meaning." Seldom is a game worth anything in itself. It's only worth what it means for something else.
Example: In baseball in the old days, it was something very admirable to win the league's pennant. You won it over the long haul, and were the best based on a season of solid performance. (Similarly, in English football, the team that wins the league has done it over a long season in which they played everyone else twice.)
But these scenarios resulted in many games that were "meaningless" in the context of winning the championship, as happens when a team with an insurmountable lead in the standings plays a team with no chance of winning it all.

So, to provide "meaning" to more games, we have play-offs. So you won 110 games in the regular season? You're still just a loser if you don't win the world series. Likewise, you are the champs even if you sucked for 13 weeks before getting a wild-card spot and and winning the playoffs. (The worst example: OU pwns KU in the regular round-ball season, but loses in the Final. OU is the better team, except for the one game stacked with all the "meaning.") You see the absurd expansion of playoff in the NHL and NBA.
Still, though, only a few games have real meaning - the Big One and maybe the semifinals.
Nonetheless, the trend to play off everything is inevitable, because the TV-devouring public is too demanding of constant gratification to return to the days of yore when a game was worth something for it's own sake.

Lott's Bandana
11/26/2007, 10:32 AM
If OU loses to Missouri (a team they beat earlier in the year), they don't get to play in the playoffs. But USC does, simply because it didn't have to play that extra game against the #1 team in the country.

And you are seriously going to tell us that no one in here would complain?

Sure, there are six to ten teams that could win a national title this year. Which ones? If OU loses to Missouri, does that mean it could not have gone the distance in the playoffs? But USC could? Does Hawaii get to compete? What if Tennessee wins the SEC? Should it be able to compete? What about Kansas? Georgia? Should USC get in over Virginia Tech? What if LSU loses in the CCG? What if Missouri loses in the CCG? Does it get to compete? It didn't win its conference, but it would certainly be ranked in the Top-10?

Of course we would complain, Lizard. If things didn't change.

All of your assumptions above are based on a playoff system that uses the existing way things are done, which is unrealistic. If a playoff system is created, then the conference championship games will either be eliminated or somehow incorporated into the system to level the playing field. Right now, the Pac10, Big11 and BigEast choose not to have this extra game. If the drastic change required to create a playoff system happens, the change to all or none conference championship games would also happen, therefore USC, tOSU and WV would no longer back into National Championships.

silverwheels
11/26/2007, 12:34 PM
But USC does? OU would only have one extra loss because it had to play one extra game... against the #1 team in the nation. What has USC done this year to get in over OU?

What about this year with the current situation? Missouri is #1 in the BCS right now, but they have to play an extra game that Ohio State doesn't. If Missouri loses, OSU is in. Is that really that much different than your post? Absolutely not. In fact, it's the same thing, except looking at it from Mizzou's side. Believe it or not, just because I'm an OU fan, that doesn't mean I have the crimson shades on all the time.

deweydw
11/26/2007, 01:10 PM
IMO, the reason tOSU and USC have moved up is because of the BIG 10/11 commissioner James E. Delany. There will never be a playoff system in CF unless he agrees. Here are some of his "innovations".

http://bigten.cstv.com/school-bio/delany-bio.html

INNOVATION

Expansion of the conference to 11 institutions with the addition of Penn State in June 1991;

Established Big Ten bowl tie-ins beginning in 1991, which now includes annual participation in the Rose, Capital One, Outback, Alamo, Champs Sports, Insight and Motor City Bowls;

Creation of the first national conference-owned television network devoted to the athletic and academic programs of a single conference. The Big Ten Network, a joint venture with Fox, is set to launch in August 2007 and will telecast some 350 events and over 660 hours of institutional non-athletic programming annually;

Developed the first collegiate version of football instant replay implemented during the 2004 season;

Negotiated extensions of ABC, CBS and ESPN agreements, beginning with the 2007-08 season and covering over 130 events annually;

Participated in NCAA, BCS and Big Ten media negotiations, resulting in rights fees in excess of 10 billion dollars, since 1990;

Adoption of the Gender Equity Action Plan (GEAP) that spans a 16-year period. This program includes three Phases. The first, Phase I, began in 1992 when the Big Ten became the first conference to voluntarily adopt participation goals for female student-athletes. Phase II, commonly known as "Dream Big," was initiated in the summer of 1998 as a public outreach campaign that encourages young girls in grades K-8th to participate in sports. Phase III, a marketing campaign launched to support and better promote conference women's olympic sports, began in 2002. Over 2,000 women's participation opportunities have been created during this time frame, resulting in a 53/47 male/female participation ratio;

Implementation of conference-wide sportsmanship initiatives focusing on creating safer venues for visiting teams, officials and fans. A Big Ten Sportsmanship Award was established and the conference has recognized more than 1,300 student-athletes in the past five years for demonstrating outstanding sportsmanship;

Established a Big Ten library of more than 4,000 classic football and basketball games.

So it seems that he, or the conference stands to make lots of money. So when OU beats Mizzou, tOSU is in no matter what WV does. Since Oregon is out, USC gets the Rose. Win, win for Delany.

Just my .02.

OU-HSV
11/26/2007, 08:54 PM
This is the year 2007, where the later your loss, the more it hurts. LSU somehow bypassed this. When OU lost to TT, we dropped to the lowest of the 2 loss teams. LSU lost just this weekend and that did not happen. Additionally, they have had several close games against some very crappy teams. If you believe what everyone on TV says about how good LSU is, they have no business scrapping by so many games this season. Sorry, their OT losses do not impress me at all......
Well said.