PDA

View Full Version : New Associated Press Poll

SteelClip49
11/25/2007, 01:36 PM
This one is more FOS......

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/appoll.htm

r5TPsooner
11/25/2007, 01:38 PM
KU better than OU or USC? No way in double hockey sticks.

SteelClip49
11/25/2007, 01:43 PM
perhaps Kansas is getting some respect because of the comeback they had last night. Remember though, the BCS tells a different story and the so-called mathmeticians who make up the BCS will probably have Kansas lower so the real thrill will be when the BCS is released.

Socrefbek
11/25/2007, 01:43 PM
AAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!! WHY DID OU HAVE TO LOSE TO THE SAND AGGIES!!! I AM SO PIZZED OFF! OU SHOULD BE PLAYING FOR THE BCS CG NEXT SATURDAY NOT THE BLEEPING FIESTA BOWL!

SteelClip49
11/25/2007, 01:47 PM
I know, the urges are there considering everything has played out to be in OU's favor if not for the TTU loss but hey, what ya gonna do? Stuff happens and, hell, we can still end up as Big XII Champions and defeat the AP & BCS #1 Missouri Tigers in the process. It will be the most thrilling Big 12 Championship, imo, since the 2000 one.

SoonerBOI
11/25/2007, 01:55 PM
Georgia ahead of OU?:confused:

SteelClip49
11/25/2007, 02:06 PM
Georgia lost to South Carolina which is equivalent to our loss to Colorado.

Georgia lost to SEC East Champion Tennessee which is a lot better than our loss to Texas Tech.

SoonerBOI
11/25/2007, 02:10 PM

Georgia lost to SEC East Champion Tennessee which is a lot better than our loss to Texas Tech.

I understand the comparison. I live in SEC country, I've seen most of Georgia's game. IMHO, we eat them alive.

kernalsanders
11/25/2007, 02:27 PM

but do they have a win over the #1 team in the nation? no i guess being in the sec or the freakin acc matters more to the voters than a win over the "best" team in the nation.

Blues1
11/25/2007, 02:33 PM
NoBody Knows SH&^ - That is Plain as Day - This whole top 20 is a Bunch of Crap....We WILL End up in the Top 5 after we Beat Mizzou again and whoever they send us in The Fiesta.....But it's all still a FIXED bunch of Crap....JMHO...!!! -- :)

yoseph
11/25/2007, 02:42 PM
this is all nonsense, look at the teams we beat and lost to....if we beat #1 Mizzou and WV loses we should be the forst 2-loss team in the nc....and f u put aside the all the politics and pick the the 2 best teams, u would have to say it is between LSU and OU

1. Mizzou(gonna lose to OU)
2.WV(who have they played....SF must have been huge challenge....)
3. OSU(who have they played....michigan?)
4.Georgia(they belong right up their with OU andLSU...but didnt make it to conference title game)
5.LSU(politics aside....they r the best team along with OU and the only team in the top 10 that would challenge OU)
6.v tech(they do not belong in any big games becasue the two that they have played were both jokes ....and my cousin is an annoying alumni)
7.Kansas(good team but there run is over and they lost there one big game)
8. Usuck(y is everyone on their bandwagon after every 3 game winstreak...they have proved that this is not their year and would let down in the second half against OU/LSU)
9.OU(#9? this is a joke we have prove that we stumble against unranked teams this year(although bradford was injured) ...but once we beat mizzou we will show that we match better against great teams...and thats wat is need for a national contender.
10.Florida(would give any team a run for their money and should be #3 behind LSU and OU)

StoopTroup
11/25/2007, 02:47 PM
Well...the loss in Boulder and Lubbock are killers.

I hope OUr guys are ready for Mizzou...I think they have improved since we played them in Norman.

kevpks
11/25/2007, 02:48 PM
Does anyone else wonder what we would be ranked in the BCS if they still had the quality win component from a few years ago? That win over #1 would give us a slight bump.

yoseph
11/25/2007, 02:57 PM

I hope OUr guys are ready for Mizzou...I think they have improved since we played them in Norman.

yes those losses r killers and mizzou has improved but we will come up big...i believe in coach stoops and his squad to prepare well and the seniors will go out with a bang!

soonersn2007
11/25/2007, 03:25 PM
USC jumps us this week because? I hate polls and this whole screwed up system of determining rankings.......it's pathetic.

fadada1
11/25/2007, 03:33 PM
seriously, WTF with usc. sure we lost 2 games... no one is denying that. but at least we lost to 2 eventual bowl teams in very hostile environments (in other word... AWAY!!!!). at least we didn't lose to a mediocre arkansas team... AT HOME... in 3 OTs. or to a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE stanford team... AT HOME!!!!!!! stanford lost to notre dame... and they totally suck ***.

usc shoud be embarrased.

The Maestro
11/25/2007, 03:37 PM
Bottom line, national title number eight could not have come in an easier, more designed year. Only three road games and the rest of the country fell apart. We would be looking at a matchup with West Virginia at this point in New Orleans for all the marbles. No, I am not one of those guys that thinks we should win it every year, but the setup, the talent and the matchups were right there for us...and we lost to a 24 point underdog where we led them by 17 in the second half...and our QB got knocked out of a game on his first play making a tackle on a silly fumble and the impact didn't even look all that bad. It just blows...this was an ideal year for number 8...and no need to argue rankings now...who cares if we finish 2nd, 3rd or 6th...just become the first team to ever repeat as Big 12 champs, come see me in the Fiesta Bowl and get Stoops and his crew their fith Big 12 title in 9 years and our first BCS bowl win since the Rose in 2002.

yoseph
11/25/2007, 03:40 PM
our losses were worse than USC losses...but our wins were also better than Usc wins....and just becuz they r winning again all the AP voters jump back on there bandwagon....i watch the gameday guys and the last 2 yrs all talk was about how great USC is....and after a couple months off from that...USC started another 3 game winstreak and they a think that USC is the greates again....it is all politics...and i play high school football in southern california and i no all the illegal activites that go on among there recruiting trail....our rival high school(mission viejo high school) is a recruiting hub for SC(where mark sanchez came from) and they send there own coaches down there every summer and spring to train there guys...they also give the team a load of free nike equipment...and mmark sanchz was getting loads of free items when he was in hs....i just want USC to get caught one time and watch their "Dynasty" fall down the drains

fadada1
11/25/2007, 03:48 PM
our losses were worse than USC losses...
nope. sorrry. tech or cu would destroy stanford. losing to the tree was similar to michigan losing to app state.

yoseph
11/25/2007, 03:51 PM
yes stanford sucked but oregon(w/ dixon) was better than any team we face in the big 12....including mizzou

StoopTroup
11/25/2007, 03:57 PM
It's the AP folks.

TripleOption14
11/25/2007, 04:17 PM
It's the AP folks.

Exactly!! At this point in the season the AP poll is pretty much useless. BCS and the computers is all that matters now.

Partial Qualifier
11/25/2007, 04:19 PM
It's just ridiculous. Mizzou, that team we easily wheeled a month ago is #1? While we're number 9? Please. No sour grapes here, we lost two games we should've won.. but instead of thinking to themselves "whom would beat whom on a neutral field" like they should be, they're just blindly penalizing teams for losing. Oh except for Kansas, because now it's late in the season and nobody wants to admit they're an idiot for having KU at #2. "Lookee there, missouri is number 1!" it's bull****.

This year magnifies whats wrong with human voting. As bad as the BCS is, at least it offsets some of the human polls' stupidity. Once the computers can account for EVERYTHING, maybe we can throw out the human polls altogether.

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2007, 04:24 PM

I don't know if i would agree with that second statement

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2007, 04:25 PM

They will also have Tony Temple for this game

OU-HSV
11/25/2007, 04:39 PM
One thing I don't get about this is USC jumping us, to me that's bogus nonsense. I mean Stanford lost to Notre Dame yesterday, good lord. And I think a lot of people have forgotten that we beat this mizzou team already once this year. They threw the ball a lot then...they still throw the ball a lot now. Basically the same mizzou team, but they're clickin a little better now. It's almost like no one is giving us a chance to beat mizzou this go around (other than Lou Holtz came out and said we'd beat them this time again). Hope the "no love" factor will fire our Sooners up and help us roll.

It's so frustrating because I feel like griping about the sh*t in every thread, but I have to keep reminding myself, we lost to FREAKING Colorado and Tech. THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE, if we don't lose one or either of those games, then we have a legit complaint. We just didn't take care of business...it wasn't our year. All we can do now is hope we beat mizzou again and hope the BCS shows a little more love to us than the AP. Now that felt good...that was my rant.

goingoneight
11/25/2007, 04:39 PM
yes stanford sucked but oregon(w/ dixon) was better than any team we face in the big 12....including mizzou

Because we have never shown ourselves capable of beating Oregon with Dennis Dixon, right? :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
11/25/2007, 11:14 PM
No sour grapes here, we lost two games we should've won.. but instead of thinking to themselves "whom would beat whom on a neutral field" like they should be, they're just blindly penalizing teams for losing.

Are they supposed to reward teams for losing? Or look the other way?

"Whom would beat whom" is impossible to analyze. Right now, I would have LSU as the #1 team, despite their recent loss. Who would you put at #1? (Never mind... Oklahoma, of course.)

By the way, what difference does it make where they put USC? Once we win or lose in the CCG, it won't matter.

OU-HSV
11/25/2007, 11:43 PM

"Whom would beat whom" is impossible to analyze. Right now, I would have LSU as the #1 team, despite their recent loss. Who would you put at #1? (Never mind... Oklahoma, of course.)

By the way, what difference does it make where they put USC? Once we win or lose in the CCG, it won't matter.
Two loss LSU at #1?? What for, you honestly think they should be the #1 team right now?
And you're right about USC, we know whatever happens versus mizzou will change that. But I think the main thing is some of us feel that even right now they shouldn't have jumped us.

cheezyq
11/26/2007, 02:29 AM

I'm just befuddled at the contradictions in this post. I think you are truly confused and wonder if you even know what you're typing.

You start off saying "should they reward teams for losing...?" and follow it up with a "you can't compare scenarios that don't exist". Then you throw the curve ball with a "LSU should be #1 despite the loss". Where do you get your reasoning from? A Wheaties box?

Obviously, the AP poll (which doesn't matter in the BCS anymore, right?) is a subjective ranking system. It's based on the perceptions of the sportswriters. Sure, wins and losses factor into the perception, but the most important factor in the poll is the biases of the sportswriters. And those biases ALWAYS override logic when poll time comes around.

People get used to hearing that LSU is the awesomest team on the planet, and they get blinded to the fact that LSU is 3 plays from a 5-loss season. Oh, sure, "they look so impressive, and that D is so awesome, and the SEC is the best conference and....yada yada yada". Nothing the sportswriters say or do or elect in a poll is based on tangible results. It's all based on subjective paraphernalia that gets repeated often enough for people to assume it's a fact.

Let's just compare OU and LSU, as a lone example.

LSU has lost at home, in a 93,000 seat stadium to Arkansas, a team that has 4 losses. LSU has also lost to a 5-loss Kentucky team on the road. LSU has suffered no significant injuries. LSU has also narrowly escaped in 3 games, all with a single play at the end as the deciding factor. LSU has also defeated a few good teams, yet also played its share of patsies.

OU lost to a 6-loss Colorado on the road, and a 4-loss Texas Tech team...also on the road and also without their starting QB. OU has won every other game, with the exception of Texas, by 10 points or more. OU has defeated the current #1 ranked BCS team by 10 points, and Texas by 7. And, as long as we're going on subjective items (this is the AP), you can toss in the questionable calls that have affected the outcomes (or at the very least, the final score) in OU's two losses.

So, if we're basing our opinions all on subjective matter, then I submit this line of reasoning as to why OU should be ranked higher than LSU. At the VERY least, OU is equivalent to LSU. But again, what I've stated above is based on a logical analysis of the few tangible results that are available in CFB, not what AP voters ACTUALLY use to rank their teams. And don't get me started on USC.

Does OU deserve to be #1? Again, basing our opinions on what we have available to us and using a logical view, the answer is no. MU should be #1, with West Virginia and OhioSU coming in a close second and third. LSU is nowhere in the picture, and USC has as much right to claim a top 10 spot as Michigan does. Do I think that those teams (top 3) would beat OU one-on-one? Not necessarily. But it's the AP, so who cares?

TheHumanAlphabet
11/26/2007, 06:18 AM
Not a nut about the anti-OU bias, but it looks like if we beat Mizzou, they may still be rated higher than us. Given we only jumped up one spot with our win over LosuR, I doubt we rise much above 6 or 7 and I doubt Mizzou falls that far...

Harry Beanbag
11/26/2007, 07:25 AM
No ****ing way would Missouri be ahead of us after we beat them for the second time this year.

And for everyone having a hard time with USC jumping us this week, they beat the #6 team like a drum on the road, that's why. If OU beats Missouri, we'll jump over them again, not that it really matters anyway.

sanantoniosooner
11/26/2007, 07:48 AM
Bottom line, national title number eight could not have come in an easier, more designed year. Only three road games and the rest of the country fell apart. We would be looking at a matchup with West Virginia at this point in New Orleans for all the marbles. No, I am not one of those guys that thinks we should win it every year, but the setup, the talent and the matchups were right there for us...and we lost to a 24 point underdog where we led them by 17 in the second half...and our QB got knocked out of a game on his first play making a tackle on a silly fumble and the impact didn't even look all that bad. It just blows...this was an ideal year for number 8...and no need to argue rankings now...who cares if we finish 2nd, 3rd or 6th...just become the first team to ever repeat as Big 12 champs, come see me in the Fiesta Bowl and get Stoops and his crew their fith Big 12 title in 9 years and our first BCS bowl win since the Rose in 2002.
Exactly.

If you are in the position of talking about who's loss is worst, then you seriously screwed up somewhere.

SoonerGM
11/26/2007, 09:46 AM
the AP poll is a joke anyway. why argue about it? this is the same poll that threw a stink fit about having to put your name on your vote and wanted to give up preseason/early season rankings. and when they didnt, they broke away from the BCS. here we are today and they keep spitting thier nasty poll out as if anyone cares about it anymore, and they dont even abide by the same rules that they wanted in place. i dont even bother to look at it anymore, and i dont understand why you guys want to debate over it. if we all stop paying attention to it, maybe it will fade away.

sanantoniosooner
11/26/2007, 09:55 AM
It's still relevant to me even when I disagree with it. Each writer should produce their weekly vote and at least have to give an accounting for his choices for the final vote though.

Boomer.....
11/26/2007, 10:05 AM
The rankings do not matter! We have already screwed ourselves out of the MNC. All we can do now is win on Saturday and go to the Fiesta Bowl, no matter where we are ranked.

Partial Qualifier
11/26/2007, 10:09 AM

Befuddled me too. You began by arguing the issue I pointed out, then immediately confirmed the same point. Huh?

oh and by 'blindly', I mean they're not taking into account that many teams have at least one loss this year, and thus not really analyzing the losses, schedules, injury situations, etc.

perhaps if they were putting some effort into this, they'd see that HMMMMM.. OU beat the #1 team rather handily, and although OU has one extra loss - their starting QB was out practically the entire game. Looking at it that way, how could you possibly have Mizzou 1 and OU 9 ? (nevermind the rest of what's screwed up in the latest poll)

And on that same point - if OU for a 2nd time this year beats the team you voted #1 in the nation, what other choice would you have but to vote OU #1? But they can't do that because -- oops! -- that would be admitting their severe mental retardations!1!