PDA

View Full Version : Great Season Henryetta Knights!!!

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2007, 12:44 PM
Finished 12-1 last night, losing a hard fought game to Heritage Hall 16-14; this team put together the best 2 year run in Henryetta history with a record of 23-3 and losing in the quarterfinals by a total of 3 points in 2 seasons; congratulations to the coaching staff and a fantastic bunch of seniors for achieving what no one outside of Henryetta thought could be done.

John

frankensooner
11/25/2007, 12:55 PM
Way to go Fightin' Hens, uh I mean Knights! Muskogee also lost this weekend to Union. It was a great season for both of my home towns. :D

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2007, 04:29 PM
Way to go Fightin' Hens, uh I mean Knights! Muskogee also lost this weekend to Union. It was a great season for both of my home towns. :D
Hell we might as well be the Hens, all the teams we play call us that and make fun of it but it's all reruns to us that have been around Henryetta forever; we all think it's actually funny

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2007, 04:38 PM
I m glad for them. Henryetta had to endure lots of bad seasons to get to the last couple of years, so I m sure you guys appreciate this run

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2007, 04:44 PM
I m glad for them. Henryetta had to endure lots of bad seasons to get to the last couple of years, so I m sure you guys appreciate this run
Yeah, that's an understatement; we lose a bunch of senior starters, so next year we are looking at a rebuilding season, but i think we can still make the playoffs; the only problem is we will have Eufaula, Morris, Chandler, and Prague to deal with. It's so hard to even get to the finals i don't know if we will ever do it

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2007, 04:49 PM
I played football at Hartshorne and won a lot of games there back in the day, only making the semi's once. I did make ESPN chasing James Allen down the field in that game though.:D

Anyway, Its good too see them put together a great couple of seasons and hopefully winning has lifted the expectancy of the underclassmen and will continue on.

Petro-Sooner
11/25/2007, 04:52 PM
I played football at Hartshorne and won a lot of games there back in the day, only making the semi's once. I did make ESPN chasing James Allen down the field in that game though.:D

Anyway, Its good too see them put together a great couple of seasons and hopefully winning has lifted the expectancy of the underclassmen and will continue on.

I can remember scrimaging Hartshorne in fifth or sixth grade. Man thats been a while.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2007, 04:55 PM
Used to be some pretty nice football teams come out of there but have not had a great team in about 12 years. When big Ceasar Rentie was down in the trenches they had some really good teams.

Petro where did you go to school?

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2007, 04:56 PM
Hartshorne was in our district when i was a junior and senior; they beat us both seasons and cost us a trip to the playoffs my senior year when we had Aikman as our QB

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2007, 04:57 PM

You caught him, right?:D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2007, 05:03 PM
You caught him, right?:D

Uhmm..No. That dude was a man amongst boys in class 2A!

We did hold him to 125 yards that game which I think was his lowest total. Also said it was the hardest hitting game he played in high school. He also played at a corner or safety spot(cant remember) and was all over the place.

My cousins played against you guys back in Troy's day(my cousin Michael went to OSU to play for PJ) and still talk about some of the throws Troy made on his way down to the ground. Said he would make some unbelievable plays and the WR's didnt have the greatest of hands at times.

Petro-Sooner
11/25/2007, 05:32 PM
2nd -8th grade at Morris. Back in the 80s when they were good.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2007, 05:35 PM
Morris had a pretty good team this year I think.

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2007, 09:47 PM
Morris had a pretty good team this year I think.
Yes they did, but they had the misfortune of having the play the University of Cascia Hall in the second round; there's no way a town like Morris or Henryetta should have to play those kinds of schools in the playoffs.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 12:07 AM
We played Cascia 2 out of my 3 years in high school in the 1st or second round. They had this runningback named Kenny Gunn, I think he went to TU, who was amazing. We had some pretty good teams but we just couldnt compete with them.

C&CDean
11/26/2007, 04:11 PM
Heritage Hall knocked my kids' team out of the playoffs this year (Lexington). My kid did make the paper though and made it on the news. Looks like he'll probably play at ECU in Ada.

Those private schools pretty much own 2A. When we went up there to HH for the game I was shocked. Hell, the entrance hall (yes, they have this massive hall that leads to the football field) cost more than our whole campus. We pimp hats and t-shirts with the bulldog on them. They pimp cardigans, polos, golf bags, winter coats, license plates, and all kinds of other crap with their logo. I'm pretty sure that "Mathis Hall" is named after the gerbil brothers too.

Must be nice to be able to buy the best football team in 2A.

sanantoniosooner
11/26/2007, 04:15 PM
nope..........Deans not bitter at all............:D

toast
11/26/2007, 04:31 PM
the public vs private school issue needs to be resolved by the ossaa, here's an article from the tulsa world...

Private school advantage?

By JIMMIE TRAMEL
10/12/2007

Here's a political football to kick around:

State Rep. Ben Sherrer of Chouteau wrote a newsletter guaranteed to spark debate.

Citing lopsided private school victories over public schools in high school football, Sherrer said most rural Oklahomans "have a strong disdain for private schools that seem comparatively overloaded with talent and numbers in their programs."

Sherrer wrote that before Cascia Hall blitzed Chouteau 71-6.

Sherrer challenged private schools, who draw students from more populous regions than rural schools, to admit they have a competitive advantage. He suggested private schools (and public magnet schools) self-impose a multiplier on average daily attendance that would push them into a class with a comparable talent base. OSSAA classifications are determined by enrollment.

Smoke? Fire?

McGuinness, Kelley, Metro Christian, Victory Christian, Heritage Hall, Cascia Hall, Oklahoma Christian School and Mount St. Mary are private schools who compete under the OSSAA umbrella. They are a collective 27-7 this season against public schools in the state. (Oklahoma Bible, the exception to every rule that you often hear about, is 0-6 against publics.)

Cascia's average margin of victory against publics is 57.0 points. The powerful Commandos don't discriminate. They also are 3-0 against private schools with an average victory margin of 28.0 points.

Cascia Hall competes in Class 2A. Coach Joe Medina said he would prefer to play up a class, if permitted. He indicated that Cascia fits much better as a 3A school for many reasons.

Medina would be in favor of putting Cascia in any class on a somewhat permanent basis -- anywhere from 4A to 2A -- rather than jumping levels every few years. Do that, he urged, and the Commandos will adjust regardless of enrollment.

Medina also indicated that some private schools have disadvantages. For instance, Cascia does not have "feeder" athletic programs like many public schools. Whoever shows up in sixth grade is who you get, and he estimated that 90 percent of his current varsity roster showed up as sixth graders.

Sherrer said he is not anti-private school and he's not anti-Christian school.

"I think it's good that they have an opportunity to compete and to not just be in a league by themselves," he said. "I just do feel pretty strongly, as do most of my constituents, that private schools ought to self-impose doing the right thing in admitting that they have a competitive advantage."

Sherrer said he just wanted to raise awareness about the issue. He doesn't consider this to be a legislative issue. He said he is not trying to put his nose in a place where it doesn't legislatively belong.

"However, I happen to live in a community where this is an issue," he said. "It does come up quite frequently, so I thought I would address it. A lot of people do think high school sports is something the legislature does actually control. I wanted to address that with my own constituents."

C&CDean
11/26/2007, 04:46 PM
Let's see.....

A school that sits right between OKC and Edmond that can pretty much recruit players from anywhere in the vicinity or even further away - as long as the parents can afford the tuition -, and yet they can keep their overall enrollment down to a level so they can still play in 2A very much does reek of an athletic advantage.

Taylor and Blake Griffin are two examples of private school boys in Oklahoma. And some of you may remember my friend Dalton Young who used to come to the tailgates a few years back. He went right from Cascia Hall straight to OU to play the o-line for Switzer.

Schools like Lexington only make it to 2A status because they bring in some kids from surrounding farms and very small towns who don't even have football (like Wanette/Asher/etc.). Otherwise they'd be playing in Class Podunk.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 04:47 PM
I remember when we played CH back in the day, I asked coach why they had gates and fences and he said " Its to keep poor dumb bastards like us out."

tulsaoilerfan
11/27/2007, 12:00 AM
Heritage Hall knocked my kids' team out of the playoffs this year (Lexington). My kid did make the paper though and made it on the news. Looks like he'll probably play at ECU in Ada.

Those private schools pretty much own 2A. When we went up there to HH for the game I was shocked. Hell, the entrance hall (yes, they have this massive hall that leads to the football field) cost more than our whole campus. We pimp hats and t-shirts with the bulldog on them. They pimp cardigans, polos, golf bags, winter coats, license plates, and all kinds of other crap with their logo. I'm pretty sure that "Mathis Hall" is named after the gerbil brothers too.

Must be nice to be able to buy the best football team in 2A.

I feel your pain Dean; from just about every knowledgable football source, Henryetta was thought of as 1 of the top 2 public schools in 2A this season; our reward for winning our first district championship in 56 years was a quarterfinal matchup up with Heritage Hall; did you see those 2 tackles they had on offense? Both of those boys had to be 6-6, and they had another one on the d-line about the same size; they had almost 70 kids suited up compared to our 35, yet they don't have an advantage over public schools? In spite of all that, we gave them the closest game they had all year and only lost 16-14, and we probably only play about 15-17 of those kids on a regular basis, the rest are just there so we can have enough to practice; this whole thing with the private schools is total bull****, and now we will have Lincoln Christian added to the mix next year in 2A