PDA

View Full Version : Football Rules Question

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2007, 05:26 AM
Can you do an onside kick after a safety? Obviously wondering why Kansas didn't try it even though it was a severe longshot and thought maybe it was illegal. TIA

Flagstaffsooner
11/25/2007, 05:46 AM
nm

Flagstaffsooner
11/25/2007, 05:50 AM
I think the rules are the same as a kick off.

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2007, 07:27 AM
Kick After Safety
ARTICLE 2. After a safety is scored, the ball belongs to the defending team
at its own 20-yard line, and that team shall put the ball in play on or between
the inbounds lines by a free kick that may be a punt, drop kick or place kick
(Exception: Extra-period and try rules).

Free Kick Recovery
ARTICLE 3. A Team A player may touch a free-kicked ball:
a. After it touches a Team B player (Exception: Rule 6-1-4).
b. After it breaks the plane of and remains beyond Team B’s restraining
line (Exception: Rule 6-4-1) (A.R. 2-11-2-I).
c. After it touches any player, the ground, an official or anything beyond
Team B’s restraining line.
Thereafter, all players of Team A become eligible to touch, recover or
catch the kick.

Yep, you can onside kick a free kick after a safety. Not sure why they didn't.

PLaw
11/25/2007, 09:19 AM
Can you do an onside kick after a safety? Obviously wondering why Kansas didn't try it even though it was a severe longshot and thought maybe it was illegal. TIA

Here's another one: in one game yesterday, the kicker was roughed on an extra point. I had always thought that the penalty was assessed on the kick off, but the penatly was declined.

BOOMER
PLaw

ruf/nekdad
11/25/2007, 09:26 AM
nm
Nice mamorys?

Blitzkrieg
11/25/2007, 10:06 AM
Here's another one: in one game yesterday, the kicker was roughed on an extra point. I had always thought that the penalty was assessed on the kick off, but the penatly was declined.

BOOMER
PLaw

I pointed that out at my house, otherwise, why not take a free shot on their kicker everytime.

The Preach Man
11/25/2007, 10:15 AM
After reading those rules you couldnt actually kick an 'on side kick' because the ball has to touch the receiving team before the kicking team can recover it. That's not the case with a 'regular' kick.

MojoRisen
11/25/2007, 10:36 AM
Correct - but you could kick a long drive punt right at the first guy and cause serious havoc.

stoopified
11/25/2007, 11:05 AM
Correct - but you could kick a long drive punt right at the first guy and cause serious havoc.Maybe a linedrive would work better(Lashar off Rockins helmet in'83 OU-osu game). :)

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2007, 12:52 PM
Maybe a linedrive would work better(Lashar off Rockins helmet in'83 OU-osu game). :)
That only works against Aggies:D

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2007, 02:15 PM
After reading those rules you couldnt actually kick an 'on side kick' because the ball has to touch the receiving team before the kicking team can recover it. That's not the case with a 'regular' kick.

You're reading them incorrectly.

c. After it touches any player, the ground, an official or anything beyond
Team B’s restraining line.

That's the exact rule that governs when team A can recover.

tdsooner1321
11/25/2007, 02:41 PM
I pointed that out at my house, otherwise, why not take a free shot on their kicker everytime.

They called running into the kicker instead of roughing the kicker. It would have been five yard penalty (or in this case half the distance) and rekick the PAT.

Redshirt
11/25/2007, 04:46 PM
One reason they may have avoided an onside kick is that you have to kick from your own 20 yard line, way to deep in your own territory.

Newbomb Turk
11/25/2007, 05:00 PM
One reason they may have avoided an onside kick is that you have to kick from your own 20 yard line, way to deep in your own territory.

I don't see that they had anything to lose at that point.

Vaevictis
11/25/2007, 05:23 PM
Yep, you can onside kick a free kick after a safety. Not sure why they didn't.

Hmm, and according to that rule, it can be a punt too?

Can you fair catch a free kick punt? Looking at the rules, fair catches are defined to occur on a scrimmage kick, and a scrimmage kick is defined as a kick that occurs after a snap, so it seems to me that you can't.

Seems to me that with a skilled punter, that kind of kick could be relatively easy to recover for the kicking team, compared to a normal on-side kick...

sooner_born_1960
11/25/2007, 05:24 PM
I've seen plenty of fair catches on "deep onside" kicks.

Vaevictis
11/25/2007, 05:36 PM
I've seen plenty of fair catches on "deep onside" kicks.

I seemed to recall it too, but there have been a couple of "deep onsides" lately that I've seen that haven't been signalled for a fair catch, and was wondering if there were any rule changes.

So, I looked it up --

EDIT: Meh, fubar on my part. You can fair catch on a free kick.

So why don't teams fair catch on every damned on-side kick? (other than the ones where they knuckle-ball it off the ground, that is)

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2007, 05:49 PM
Hmm, and according to that rule, it can be a punt too?

Can you fair catch a free kick punt? Looking at the rules, fair catches are defined to occur on a scrimmage kick, and a scrimmage kick is defined as a kick that occurs after a snap, so it seems to me that you can't.

Seems to me that with a skilled punter, that kind of kick could be relatively easy to recover for the kicking team, compared to a normal on-side kick...

The thing is that even if you couldn't fair catch it, before Team A can recover it has to touch something past the restraining line.

You can't fair catch an onside kick-well, you can, but the ball has to be in flight, untouched, and past the neutral zone when you make the signal.

John Kochtoston
11/25/2007, 08:06 PM
The thing is that even if you couldn't fair catch it, before Team A can recover it has to touch something past the restraining line.

You can't fair catch an onside kick-well, you can, but the ball has to be in flight, untouched, and past the neutral zone when you make the signal.

Isn't there also some goofy-assed rule about the kicking team getting the opportunity to try a place kick from the spot the ball is caught when a kickoff or free kick after safety is fair-caught? I though I remembered that coming up once a season or so, when a kickoff is either intentionally or unintentionally kicked high and very short, and a lineman who has no clue about what do do fair-catches the thing at midfield? There's also some kind of consequence for missing the place kick (better field position for the receiving team, IIRC) so no one ever tries the place kick.

Or have I just been taking some really weird drugs? :D

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2007, 08:19 PM
You know, I don't know that specific rule. I didn't see anything in the rule book about it, but it was a pretty quick scan.

Vaevictis
11/25/2007, 08:23 PM
When I was looking through the rules, I saw something about a "fair catch kick", where if you fair catch the ball, you may choose to kick a field goal from the exact spot of the kick -- it's not a scrimmage play, so no snap, and hence no extra distance added to the kick resulting from the snap.

I don't know about the extra penalty associated with missing that kick though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_catch_kick

John Kochtoston
11/25/2007, 08:35 PM
When I was looking through the rules, I saw something about a "fair catch kick", where if you fair catch the ball, you may choose to kick a field goal from the exact spot of the kick -- it's not a scrimmage play, so no snap, and hence no extra distance added to the kick resulting from the snap.

I don't know about the extra penalty associated with missing that kick though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_catch_kick

That's the one. My memory of when it came into effect was pretty backwards, though. Apparently, a missed kick is live (and returnable), or goes over to the other team if it goes out of bounds, so people don't try it unless they are desperate.

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2007, 08:37 PM
The ball shall be put in play by a snap by the receiving team at the spot
of the catch if the ball is caught (Exceptions: Rules 6-5-1-a Exception,
7-1-2 and 8-6-1-b).

7-1-2 states that you can't snap between a hashmark and the sideline, 8-6-1-b is the touchback rule.

It's a pro and NFF high school rule, but not an NCAA rule.