PDA

View Full Version : Coach Fran steps down

meoveryouxinfinity
11/23/2007, 08:47 PM
just heard it on ESPN.

Newbomb Turk
11/23/2007, 08:48 PM
coffeyville was all over it minutes ago.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/23/2007, 08:49 PM
coffeyville was all over it minutes ago.
oh, well, i thought it would be new thread worthy.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=273270245

getrdone
11/23/2007, 08:55 PM
nothing in the article says he did. did he say it on tv after the game, missed the final minutes?

tommieharris91
11/23/2007, 08:57 PM
Yep, ESPN is reporting Franchione's resignation. I was kinda hoping that beating texass would save his job.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/23/2007, 08:57 PM
nothing in the article says he did. did he say it on tv after the game, missed the final minutes?
You're....blind??
title......and i quote....

Aggies top Longhorns in Franchione's finale

Newbomb Turk
11/23/2007, 08:59 PM
You're....blind??
title......and i quote....

Aggies top Longhorns in Franchione's finale

even though he did step down, the article says it was likely his finale.

soonerboomer93
11/23/2007, 08:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3124823

Embattled A&M coach resigns after 5 rocky seasons
Associated Press

Updated: November 23, 2007, 8:52 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Dennis Franchione resigned as Texas A&M's coach on Friday, ending a rocky five-year tenure less than an hour after the Aggies beat archrival Texas 38-30 at Kyle Field.

Franchione finished 32-28 at A&M, far short of the expectations when he replaced R.C. Slocum in December 2002. A&M was 19-21 in Big 12 games under Franchione and, worst of all, lost 12 of 15 games against main rivals Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Texas.

Dressed in a gray suit, Franchione stepped to the podium an hour after the victory, probably his biggest at A&M.

"We appreciate the opportunity we have had at this great institution, to work with this administration," he said. "We have made many lasting friendships."

Last year, Franchione likely earned himself one more season by beating Texas 12-7 in Austin. As sweet as it is to beat the hated 'Horns again, it didn't earn him another season in College Station.

The Aggies (7-5, 4-4 Big 12) still finished the regular season with four losses in six games. They haven't won the Big 12 since 1998. And athletics director Bill Byrne promises the ugly e-mail scandal that ruined this season will be a big part of his planned performance review.

Franchione didn't let it come to that.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

there's the correct article

OUmillenium
11/23/2007, 09:09 PM
Is there a save Franny websites or petition?

OUinFLA
11/23/2007, 09:12 PM
did he mention any refunds on "the newsletter"

my wife has earmarked all extra funds for the boy's Christmas presents.

aero
11/23/2007, 09:19 PM
Funny. Look's like he's the one who's going to be wondering where he's going to work this summer.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/23/2007, 09:21 PM
even though he did step down, the article says it was likely his finale.
Yeah, they probably wrote the article, posted it, then changed the title while they were writing a new one.

That's my excuse. And I'm sticking to it.

getrdone
11/23/2007, 09:25 PM
there was nothing in the article that says I quit, i'm stepping down, etc, , although it led you to believe he was resigning you didn't have to be a smart A## to a fellow sooner fan

meoveryouxinfinity
11/23/2007, 09:27 PM
there was nothing in the article that says I quit, i'm stepping down, etc, , although it led you to believe he was resigning you didn't have to be a smart A## to a fellow sooner fan
well I got the link from ESPN frontpage that said, "Franchione Steps Down"

no hard feelings

OUinFLA
11/23/2007, 09:33 PM
I find it funny that the lead thread on texags.com is:

Have You Considered a Premium Subscription??

I thought general consensus was - that might not be legal?

aurorasooner
11/23/2007, 09:45 PM
It would be interesting to know his buyout...... if aTm had to pony up the full funds to buy him out. I figured Fran would pull a Clownahan and get fired rather than resign. I really do hate to see him go since he was always our beotch and the last couple of years Mack's been his beotch.

AverageJoe
11/23/2007, 09:49 PM
Callahan should have shown some class and stepped down.

Oh that's right he has no class. What was I thinking.

AJ

soonerboomer93
11/23/2007, 09:52 PM

imho you might need a tad thicker skin, or else you're so not gonna survive the off season here

Jewstin
11/23/2007, 09:52 PM
Franny really looked bad with that post-game reaction. My buddy and I couldn't believe that was his response. That kind of emotional disconnect from his players ... blech.

ouradu
11/23/2007, 10:02 PM
what did he say?

soonerboomer93
11/23/2007, 10:06 PM
Franny really looked bad with that post-game reaction. My buddy and I couldn't believe that was his response. That kind of emotional disconnect from his players ... blech.

from what I read, the "interview" was complete *********gary, basically asking him how he felt about his last game being a win. You walk off the field after upsetting your biggest rival to questions about your job, I know i'd be stunned too.

utex74
11/23/2007, 10:23 PM

His resignation was already written before the game and all the details negotiated days ago. Odds are he even told the team before the game.

TripleOption14
11/23/2007, 10:25 PM
Can anyone say...... Coach Nutt!! :D

OUinFLA
11/23/2007, 11:28 PM
what did he say?

{paraphrased] **** off, dip ****'s {/paraphrased}

bluedogok
11/23/2007, 11:32 PM
His resignation was already written before the game and all the details negotiated days ago. Odds are he even told the team before the game.
On the 10pm news here they said some of the A&M players told some UT players before the game that it was Fran's last game.

They showed his announcement at the press conference.

Newbomb Turk
11/23/2007, 11:33 PM
{paraphrased] **** off, dip ****'s {/paraphrased}

I'm guessing that's about right.

:D

josh09
11/24/2007, 12:09 AM
He acted very strange in the post-game interview on the field, so i knew something had to be up.

That sure isnt a bad way to exit, though.

bluedogok
11/24/2007, 12:14 AM
Maybe he is going to be the new SMU coach? He did a good job at TCU and seems like a much better fit at mid-level underdog schools. He just doesn't seem to have what a big program in a big conference needs to succeed. A school in a winnable conference suits him better.

Veritas
11/24/2007, 12:55 AM
One Big 12 bum down, one to go.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/24/2007, 12:57 AM
One Big 12 bum down, one to go.

Did Callahan take credit for Ganz INts this week like he took credit for his TDs last week

Veritas
11/24/2007, 12:58 AM
Did Callahan take credit for Ganz INts this week like he took credit for his TDs last week
Heh. Yeah right.

In Ganz's defense he was playing injured the second half, hence the reason his passes were off and he stopped moving out of the pocket.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/24/2007, 01:00 AM
Oh I think the guy's a pretty decent quarterback. Callahan promised that job to Keller and Ganz was on the outside looking in no matter what Callahan said

badger
11/25/2007, 07:33 PM
anyone have a video link? I heard he walked out on byrne

soonerP_A_C
11/25/2007, 07:40 PM
Did you see the press conference? Fran read his statement, and then walked off while the AD was still talking... What a classless jacka$$...

meoveryouxinfinity
11/25/2007, 07:48 PM
Did you see the press conference? Fran read his statement, and then walked off while the AD was still talking... What a classless jacka$$...
Stickin' it to the mannn :pop:

goingoneight
11/25/2007, 07:52 PM
If someone fired me after accomplishing something great (beating Texas is great by Aggie standards), hell, I'd have walked out like a fool with that money baby.

R.C. Scrotum got canned after beating No. 1 Oklahoma in 2002, FRANchise gets the boot after winning back-to-back over Texas, one was defending Natty Champs Tejas.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/25/2007, 07:53 PM
anyone have a video link? I heard he walked out on byrne
no but...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LMswTaxyK3k

...LOL

badger
11/26/2007, 11:14 AM
it had it right at the end of the clip. thanks!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2007, 11:17 AM
If someone did that to Castligione, they'd be sleeping with the fishies..

KYHonorarySooner
11/26/2007, 11:26 AM
Former GB Packers head coach Mike Sherman is the new Aggie coach heard first on Colin Cowherd's ESPN radio show

Houston Texans assistant Mike Sherman will be introduced as Texas A&M's football coach at a noon ET news conference Monday, a source close to the situation told ESPN's Joe Schad.

The Houston Chronicle first reported the story on its Web site Monday morning.

Sherman declined comment Sunday on reports that he was Texas A&M's leading candidate to replace Dennis Franchione, who resigned Friday following the Aggies' 38-30 victory over Texas.

Sherman, who turns 53 on Dec. 19, has been the Texans' assistant head coach for two seasons under Gary Kubiak, a former A&M quarterback. Sherman became the offensive coordinator this season.

When Sherman left the Texans' locker room after Sunday's loss to the Cleveland Browns, he was trailed by several reporters who asked for comment on the Texas A&M situation. He politely declined, saying he would only talk about the loss.

Earlier, Houston owner Bob McNair addressed Sherman's status.

"I think the report says he may be the leading candidate,'' McNair said. "They [Texas A&M] haven't called me. That's not to say they haven't called someone in the organization. I don't think they could find anyone better. He's an outstanding coach. We certainly would not stand in his way.''

Like Kubiak, Sherman has A&M ties. He was the Aggies' offensive line coach from 1989-93 and then in 1995-96 under R.C Slocum. Kubiak coached A&M's running backs in 1992 and '93.

Sherman coached the Green Bay Packers from 2000-05, guiding the team to three NFC North titles. Under Sherman, the Packers produced two of the four highest-scoring seasons in franchise history.

The Aggies went 32-28 in five seasons under Franchione and couldn't gain ground on the Big 12's elite teams. A&M hasn't won the league title since 1998.

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville was also thought to be a strong candidate to succeed Franchione.