PDA

View Full Version : Not that it would happen

aero
11/23/2007, 07:21 PM
We were pretty much written off for the NC game after the let down in lubbock but what if everyone ahead of us in the polls, lest Ohio State, were to lose and we were to win the B12 beating a potentially #1 or even 2/3, wouldn't we be in? Or even say they all lose above us but 1 or 2, wouldn't we have just as much claim? Not that I think we have played to championship caliber but who else this year has or really done significantly better? KU? That would end if we were to beat them. Just wondering.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/23/2007, 07:29 PM
Well, not to answer your question.. but just to provide some stats

BCS Standings
1. LSU 10-1
2. Kansas 11-0
3. West Virginia 9-1
4. Missouri 10-1
5. Ohio State 11-1
6. Arizona State 9-1
7. Georgia 9-2
8. Virginia Tech 9-2
9. Oregon 8-2
10. Oklahoma 9-2

1. Assume we win out....err "FINISH"
2. Assume LSU, ASU, and whoever else that would have to lose drops behind us and nobody jumps us.

We win out, obviously jumping Mizzou and Kansas

Remaining schedules of those who would need to lose for us to jump them:

#3 WVU:
11/24 #20 UConn 3:30 PM
12/01 Pittsburgh TBD

#5 Ohio State
No games remaining

#7 Georgia (won't even win the SEC)
11/24 at Ga Tech 3:30 PM

#8 Virginia Tech
11/24 at #16 Virginia 12:00 PM

#9 Oregon
11/24 at UCLA 3:30 PM
12/01 Oregon St 4:30 PM

kevpks
11/23/2007, 07:35 PM
I think we could jump VT, Oregon and Georgia regardless of whether they lose or not. If not, it would be really close. We would have a win over the #1 team in the country. It will be really interesting to see how it shakes out if West Virginia drops one of their last two games.

We are a long shot for the national title game, but who knows in this crazy season.

soonermeteor
11/23/2007, 07:39 PM
What would be a really interesting senario is if WV loses and we beat either missouri or kansas. You'll have all two loss teams besides OSU and Kasnas, but kansas will have lost to either Mizzou or us. Also, Hawaii wins. Then you have a mess.

Sooner98
11/23/2007, 07:39 PM
The following things must happen for us to get to New Orleans:

1. We win out
2. WV loses one of their next two games
3. Georgia loses to GTech
4. VTech loses one of their next two games
5. Oregon loses one of their next two games
6. USC loses to UCLA
7. LSU loses SEC Champ game

Sounds easy enough. Let's do this thing!!!1 :D

AverageJoe
11/23/2007, 07:41 PM
Assume we'll be #8 or #7 in the next BCS when we Beat OSU. And just hope the trend continues and WVU, GA, VA Tech and Oregon lose. We know Mizzou or KU will loose once and we WILL beat either of them and Oregon will lose at least one.

If nobody else loses that makes the Final BCS top 6

Ohio State
WVU
Georgia
VA Tech
Oklahoma
KU or Mizzou

So we'd have to hope WVU, Georgia and VA tech loses. Not likely all three lose, maybe one. SO the best I think we can hope for with our schedule strength and computer poll hatred is 4th in the final BCS before Bowls are picked. But crazier things have happened this year.

Eielson
11/23/2007, 07:44 PM
Here is my input.

1. LSU 10-1
6. Arizona State 9-1

^^They both lost. We still have to hope that LSU drops below us. I'm afraid it might not happen and that could be the killer.

2. Kansas 11-0
4. Missouri 10-1

^^If we win out, we'd have to pass these two.

7. Georgia 9-2
8. Virginia Tech 9-2
9. Oregon 8-2

I think we pass these three even if they also win out. Georgia would be questionable if they beat LSU, we would have to be more impressive in a win against Kansas.

3. West Virginia 9-1

We might be able to jump these guys as well in the humas polls. The computer polls would probably hurt us, though. They will have a tough game against Connecticutt.

5. Ohio State 11-1

Would have to be our NC Opponent.

As much fun as it is, though, we shouldn't be getting too concerned with these yet. We just have to go out and win our last two games. We are no lock to winout.

kevpks
11/23/2007, 07:46 PM
Georgia isn't even going to play for their conference title. That would be crap if they go in after all the grief we caught in '03. At least we won our division that year. Georgia might as well join the Big 10 if they are going to get a shot without having to play a championship game.

rondog79
11/23/2007, 07:46 PM
wow so your saying theres a chance look it could happen the ducks are done,uconn could and prob will beat wv , virgina can beat vt,and depending on what happens with the sec? who knows

colinreturn
11/23/2007, 08:24 PM
None of the 2 loss teams matter, if we beat the number 1 team in the country handily. we will jump all the 2 loss teams. and how many one loss will be left?

JohnnyMack
11/23/2007, 08:37 PM
Or: Don't blow 17 point leads to inferior opponents.

<runs away>

Socrefbek
11/23/2007, 11:26 PM
Or: Don't blow 17 point leads to inferior opponents.

<runs away>

Heh!:pop:

GrapevineSooner
11/23/2007, 11:33 PM
Or don't allow 27 points in a half.

colleyvillesooner
11/23/2007, 11:38 PM
you bastards get out of here with all your logic...

TUSooner
11/23/2007, 11:57 PM
It ****es me off that OhSU still has a shot.

josh09
11/24/2007, 12:06 AM
I know this season has been crazy, but i think its a little TOO over the top to think we could still make it back to the NC game.

Mixer!
11/24/2007, 01:01 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=071119_2_B2_hrbri26046

stoops the eternal pimp
11/24/2007, 01:11 AM
What if we built a time machine and took it back in time to the Colorado game and we into the lockerroom at halftime and told them all that would happen this season and they won because the fans in the time machine told them they need to win?

Sooner98
11/24/2007, 01:15 AM
What if we built a time machine and took it back in time to the Colorado game and we into the lockerroom at halftime and told them all that would happen this season and they won because the fans in the time machine told them they need to win?

I love it!! Now, if only there was some way that we could harness the 1.21 jigiwatts of power into the flux capacitor to make this possible, we could possibly have National Championship #8!

IronHorseSooner
11/24/2007, 08:48 AM
We still have to hope that LSU drops below us. I'm afraid it might not happen and that could be the killer.

With the way that LSU is playing, they won't beat Tennessee. Their defense is overrated, they have injuries or guys playing injured, and their offense is pedestrian. As far as the other teams go,

1. Oregon will lose to UCLA, and it might not even be close. Brady Leaf makes Jimmy Clausen look like a Heisman Trophy Winner.
2. VA Tech will have their rivalry game AT UVA! They would also have to play a BC team that has already beaten them.
3. UGA won't get there by default. If they lose to GA Tech, they're out. If TENN wins, they're out.
4. Don't worry about tOSU.
5. MU loses to KU, or KU loses to MU. I could make arguments either way as to how either scenario would help us.
6. WVU loses to UCONN. UCONN is a legit threat.
7. We might not need LSU to lose again (will pollsters finally put Lester in his place for all of those close calls?)

It will come to whether or not a 1-loss KU is better than a 2-loss OU who won their conference. If KU wins, we would have beaten the #1 team, which would make us the best of the 2-loss teams. If MU wins, KU would be in the proverbial Nebraska seat- reference 2001 when Nebbish got there by losing to CU, but going in over a 2-loss CU. KU would have beaten nobody and would have lost to a team OU beat TWICE!!! Pollsters don't like to be wrong twice and many people will lobby for OU to be there (some will likely even give us a Mulligan for the TTECH game since Sam was out).