PDA

View Full Version : Singletary turns down Baylor

PrideTrombone
11/22/2007, 01:33 PM
Boy, its gonna be funny to see who they scramble for now. They could actually get worse.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3123452

sooner59
11/22/2007, 01:53 PM
I cant say that it isnt funny. Kinda sad.....well there program is kinda sad, so I guess I shouldnt be surprised. If I was Singletary, I wouldnt want to coach there either. You are going to fail no matter what you do. I dont blame him.

Flagstaffsooner
11/22/2007, 01:58 PM
Well, that leaves it open for Nut-Case Nutt.

Jimminy Crimson
11/22/2007, 02:44 PM
I think they should hire Guy Morriss

goingoneight
11/22/2007, 02:55 PM
I hear Houston Callafran is looking for a job.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2007, 03:23 PM
Note to Baylor Athletic Department: Do not fire current coach unless you are sure your desired coach is going to take the job.

Flagstaffsooner
11/22/2007, 03:33 PM
Baylor just hired a new coach. And he is sooo excited to be there.... So is Sicem.

http://media.canada.com/8c8b3290-2b08-4dc6-8e3e-2cc645fdfe05/simmons.jpg

nmsooner
11/22/2007, 03:37 PM
We need to get Baylor out of the conference. I would rather see TCU.

BudSooner
11/22/2007, 04:49 PM
We need to get Baylor out of the conference. I would rather see TCU.

Call me crazy, but Arkansas wouldn't be a bad fit. But I doubt they leave the SEC for the "poor weak Big XII"

bluedogok
11/22/2007, 04:59 PM
Every big conference has at least one private school, it allows some business of the conference to keep some of the business private and not be subject to the same Freedom of Information act requests that the state schools are. If it was all state schools then pretty much everything would have to be a matter of public record. That was the reasoning by some.

Singletary knows that place is a coaching dead zone.

BudSooner
11/22/2007, 05:34 PM
Well, that leaves it open for Nut-Case Nutt.

Word is that Nutt's agent(heh, nutts agent is also Nick Satans agent btw)may have a press conference setup for this Monday, no word as to what it pertains to.

It might be Baylor.

arlington
11/22/2007, 06:06 PM
Best luck Baylor has had in years. BU is too difficult a job to entrust it to a coach with zero college experience and zero head coach experience. Too many people put too much credence into "motivational tactics" and his "hall of fame" career. most of these kids have no clue who he is.Sure the parents probably do but ultimately its going to come down to the same things it always does. Facilities, tradition, bowl games, NFL preperation, etc. Baylor needs an energetic young coach and staff, maybe an up and comer from a mid major program, who can take 3 and 4 star players , coach them up and unify the BU alums.Whoever they get, he better have some experience within the college game running a program.

soonerboomer93
11/22/2007, 10:24 PM
it wasn't his lack of experience at that matters, infact, it was a difference in goals.

The former Chicago Bears' star linebacker said that he apprised McCaw that, "...unless you're talking about doing what it takes to win a national championship, you're talking to the wrong person."

seems likes Baylors expectations are lower then his...

arlington
11/22/2007, 10:43 PM
BS..Noone here knows the level of there conversation. Singletary could be spinning that. And Baylors expectations probably need to be a little lower to start off. Like being an actual presence in the B12 on the field, with recruits and facilities. I stand by my assertion that he would have been a huge mistake for BU. You have to crawl before you can walk. How the hell can a coach with no history of leading college kids to victory even utter "national championship" in the same sentence? Hell he cant even make a difference with the niners!

AverageJoe
11/22/2007, 11:01 PM
You think Leach hates the old SWC refs just wait and see what Arkansas would do if brought to the Big12. ALL of those SWC rejects hate Arkansas.

AJ

westcoast_sooner
11/23/2007, 12:51 AM
Baylor will be a tough job for anyone. Singletary probably not the right guy at this time. IMO, if they were smart in Waco, they'd go for someone that's going to be able to motivate the guys they have, and take the 2 and 3 star players from A&M, SMU, Houston and other schools in the area. I don't think Baylor has a lot of hope for challenging the Big XII South leaders any time soon.

soonerboomer93
11/23/2007, 01:43 AM
BS..Noone here knows the level of there conversation. Singletary could be spinning that. And Baylors expectations probably need to be a little lower to start off. Like being an actual presence in the B12 on the field, with recruits and facilities. I stand by my assertion that he would have been a huge mistake for BU. You have to crawl before you can walk. How the hell can a coach with no history of leading college kids to victory even utter "national championship" in the same sentence? Hell he cant even make a difference with the niners!

No, their expectations should really be. They have a NC calliber womens basketball team and compete at high levels in every sports. The minimum expectation of any football team should be atleast a conference championship, and for a program in a major conference, there's no reason for them to for them to have it as an expectations. Is it realistic for them to turn it around in a season, probably not, but they could turn it around quickly with a couple good recruiting classes.

Yes, you do have to crawl before you can walk, but when you learn to crawl, your end goal is walking, not crawling. If you only expect mediocraty, and are willing to settle for it, you have no right to complain when that's all you get.

soonerboomer93
11/23/2007, 01:45 AM
Once again, since this comes up all the time. There is a reason all major conference have a private school in them. We're not kicking Baylor out (and especially not for Arkansas).

soonerboomer93
11/23/2007, 01:47 AM
Baylor will be a tough job for anyone. Singletary probably not the right guy at this time. IMO, if they were smart in Waco, they'd go for someone that's going to be able to motivate the guys they have, and take the 2 and 3 star players from A&M, SMU, Houston and other schools in the area. I don't think Baylor has a lot of hope for challenging the Big XII South leaders any time soon.

yeah, and Kansas has no shot at winning the Big 12 north, and KSU will always be bottom teir (ok, KSU is going down faster then your mom on a homeless man). Programs can suffer bad streaks, and bad programs can with the right coach and good recruiting improve.

ashley
11/23/2007, 08:58 AM
If you get them to go to KU and KSU, you ought to be able to get them to Waco.

arlington
11/23/2007, 10:45 AM
McCaw had no interest in Singletary as a HC and he shouldnt. So he gave him a token interview to appease some alums, Singletary knew it so he rips Baylor with his "winning championship"crap..Im sure BU wants to win just like the next school, but they dont have the resources that most of the schools they compete against do..Comparing all of Baylors success in sports like Womens hoops and tennis is irrelevant, those are apples and oranges compared to the numbers you need in football. Baylor should run to Art Briles as fast as they can with loads of cash. A terrific Mid major coach with a fun offense to sell recruits, recent name recognition to hs players AND hs coaches, and experience rebuilding a program. They dont need a 70s relic with no more experience coaching than i have.

HateTheWhorns
11/23/2007, 10:47 AM
Boy, its gonna be funny to see who they scramble for now. They could actually get worse.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3123452

Any word on whether or not Larry Fedora is interested? He's ready to be a head coach and might be a good fit. He's from Bryan, played college ball at Austin College, is a former Baylor assistant, and has done well as an OC at Middle Tenn St., Florida, and Okie Lite.

SicEmBaylor
11/23/2007, 01:21 PM
I'm not a Fedora fan. I was really wanting Paul Johnson, but he's probably out of reach.

I loathe to admit it, but Nutt is the only candidate that I feel comfortable with at the moment.

Baylor has a long history of screwing up hires.

AverageJoe
11/23/2007, 04:38 PM
They need to build an ON-Campus stadium and Athletic practice facility pronto or they will never be a semi-winner. Their campus is not all that bad but Floyd Casey area is Ghetto.

As far as KU and KSU or even Tech for that matter I would pick Lawrence, Manhattan and even "gag" Lubbock over Waco, TX any day to spend 4 or 5 years of my life in.

Sorry Sic Em Love ya but ya know.

AJ

AverageJoe
11/23/2007, 04:59 PM
What is the History of that Stadium anyway Sic Em? Why there in the middle of a halfway industrial low income housing area on the opposite side of 35 instead of maybe just East of 35 and South the River on Campus or just east of the arena across LaSalle South of the River? You could have River Boat Tailgate Parties man.

Baylor has the money, they should do it. Only needs to be 30,000 seats for Div-1 right? No Reason Baylor cannot compete with Tech for 6, 7, 8 wins a year and if On Campus people would not have such a bad view of Baylor if all they see is Floyd Casey Stadium.

AJ

SicEmBaylor
11/23/2007, 05:23 PM
They need to build an ON-Campus stadium and Athletic practice facility pronto or they will never be a semi-winner. Their campus is not all that bad but Floyd Casey area is Ghetto.

As far as KU and KSU or even Tech for that matter I would pick Lawrence, Manhattan and even "gag" Lubbock over Waco, TX any day to spend 4 or 5 years of my life in.

Sorry Sic Em Love ya but ya know.

AJ

We're almost finished with our on-campus practice facility. It's a pretty nice one.

The stadium will probably never be on campus. We just completed a major renovation of the stadium we already have, and the cost of building a new on campus just isn't possible from a cost or feasability stand point. I'm not sure where we would even put it except for the land along the river where all of the other sports venues are located, but I'm not sure there's enough of it for a stadium.

Hell, we can't even sell out the stadium we have now.

As for the location of the stadium, yes it's in the ghetto but ALL of Waco is in the ghetto. That shouldn't bother most students, and the area where the stadium is located is the main eating/shopping strip in Waco so the typical Baylor student goes over there all the time anyway.

SicEmBaylor
11/23/2007, 05:25 PM
What is the History of that Stadium anyway Sic Em? Why there in the middle of a halfway industrial low income housing area on the opposite side of 35 instead of maybe just East of 35 and South the River on Campus or just east of the arena across LaSalle South of the River? You could have River Boat Tailgate Parties man.

Baylor has the money, they should do it. Only needs to be 30,000 seats for Div-1 right? No Reason Baylor cannot compete with Tech for 6, 7, 8 wins a year and if On Campus people would not have such a bad view of Baylor if all they see is Floyd Casey Stadium.

AJ

I honestly have no clue why the stadium is over there.