PDA

View Full Version : I love Mike Leach!

Collier11
11/21/2007, 09:59 PM
Associated Press -- November 21st, 2007

1 million pennies. That's how many coins Mike Leach, head coach of Texas Tech University sent the Big 12 Conference in order to satisfy the unprecedented $10,000.00 fine that was handed down for his outbursts following the football team's loss to the University of Texas.

According to Texas Tech Athletic Department sources, Leach inquired about having the 1-cent pieces delivered directly to the Big 12 office compliments of the school's mascot, The Masked Rider (a black stallion & horseman). However, logistics proved difficult. Texas Tech athletic director, Gerald Myers intervened in what has apparently become a somewhat heated, tense situation.

Myers spent most of the week following the University of Texas loss defending Leach's comments regarding questionable calls by game officials in Austin.

The pirate load of 1 million copper coins was eventually shipped/delivered via UPS to Dan Beebe, commissioner of the Big 12 Conference, headquartered in Irving, TX

meoveryouxinfinity
11/21/2007, 10:09 PM
LOL sounds like an EDSBS article.

Big Red Ron
11/21/2007, 10:12 PM
He's a one of a kind.

LittleWingSooner
11/21/2007, 10:18 PM
His offense is hard to watch.

douxpaysan
11/21/2007, 10:20 PM
This means nothing without a pic...just my 2 cents.

Big Red Ron
His offense is hard to watch.Your posts are hard to read. Not because they're complicated either.

hgarmorer
Man that is awesome. I wonder how much shipping is for something like that?
LOL

Big Red Ron
11/21/2007, 10:22 PM
Man that is awesome. I wonder how much shipping is for something like that?
LOLFor that kind of pub, they should have paid him to not use Fed Ex. ;)

OU-HSV
11/21/2007, 11:08 PM
now that's funny

Curly Bill
11/21/2007, 11:14 PM
So this: :P is basically what Leach did to the Big XII offices. Awesome!!

Vaevictis
11/21/2007, 11:26 PM

It just occurred to me that it would be even nastier to send 1 million $0.01 checks.

I'll have to remember that. :) I wonder what it would take to get 1 million checks printed.

Curly Bill
11/21/2007, 11:30 PM

It just occurred to me that it would be even nastier to send 1 million $0.01 checks.

I'll have to remember that. :) I wonder what it would take to get 1 million checks printed.

I don't know...but I like the way you're thinking. :D

colleyvillesooner
11/21/2007, 11:33 PM
what a *********

jbstrick
11/21/2007, 11:39 PM
This is a hoax. Confirmed. Not true. Falsehood. Internet myth. The AP did not run this story.

You get the idea.

rainiersooner
11/22/2007, 01:04 AM
Would have been good though...

GottaHavePride
11/22/2007, 11:49 AM
But it DOES sound exactly like something he'd do.

Boomer.....
11/22/2007, 12:14 PM
Awesome!

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2007, 12:43 PM
Unfortunately, the conference can simply refuse shipment.

Vaevictis
11/22/2007, 01:10 PM
Unfortunately, the conference can simply refuse shipment.

With respect to the pennies, I don't think it's lawful to do so, assuming that the fine can be viewed as a "debt."

Veritas
11/22/2007, 01:22 PM
With respect to the pennies, I don't think it's lawful to do so, assuming that the fine can be viewed as a "debt."
Sure you can.

Title 31 (Money and Finance), Subtitle IV (Money), Chapter 51 (Coins and Currency), Subchapter I (Monetary System), Section 5103 (Legal Tender) of the United States Code:

United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues.

Leroy's right, though, they can refuse payment as pennies are not the usual instrument of payment (I can't find the specific legalese on that one).

Vaevictis
11/22/2007, 01:24 PM
I was referring to where Leroy Lizard said that the conference could refuse shipment.

That would be the same thing as refusing payment; if the fine can be characterized as a "debt" Leach owes, they can't refuse payment offered in legal tender.

westcoast_sooner
11/23/2007, 12:55 AM
Associated Press -- November 21st, 2007

1 million pennies. That's how many coins Mike Leach, head coach of Texas Tech University sent the Big 12 Conference in order to satisfy the unprecedented $10,000.00 fine that was handed down for his outbursts following the football team's loss to the University of Texas.

According to Texas Tech Athletic Department sources, Leach inquired about having the 1-cent pieces delivered directly to the Big 12 office compliments of the school's mascot, The Masked Rider (a black stallion & horseman). However, logistics proved difficult. Texas Tech athletic director, Gerald Myers intervened in what has apparently become a somewhat heated, tense situation.

Myers spent most of the week following the University of Texas loss defending Leach's comments regarding questionable calls by game officials in Austin.

The pirate load of 1 million copper coins was eventually shipped/delivered via UPS to Dan Beebe, commissioner of the Big 12 Conference, headquartered in Irving, TX

I think this is outstanding. Ironic for him to criticize the refs when we were coming to town, but the fact that he decided to ship his fine in pennies is too funny.

As far as he's concerned, he's complied and paid the fine.

douxpaysan
11/23/2007, 01:46 AM
Cost of a Texas Tech education(per course per semester)http://english.ttu.edu/tc/dl/cost.htm $901Fine for questioning the competence of a Big Twelve official $10,000Shoving one million pennies up the commissioner's butt... priceless

MiccoMacey
11/23/2007, 06:39 AM
Where's Frozen Sooner when you need him.

He answered something like this once. Pennies are acceptable.

Frozen Sooner
11/23/2007, 01:23 PM
They are. It's a jerk move, though. Sure, you've made a point to the person you're paying. Now some poor bank employee has to take all that crap in and a bank has to pay the fed to take all those pennies off their hands.

Yeah, I know, poor banks. But still-doing that kind of thing inconveniences more than the person you're paying.

Of course, looks like it didn't really happen.

Leroy Lizard
11/23/2007, 02:06 PM
I was referring to where Leroy Lizard said that the conference could refuse shipment.

That would be the same thing as refusing payment; if the fine can be characterized as a "debt" Leach owes, they can't refuse payment offered in legal tender.

I am not familiar with Texas law, but if any state in the Union allowed people to pay off debts with pennies I would be shocked.

Sooner Eclipse
11/23/2007, 02:18 PM
:rolleyes: :confused:

Vaevictis
11/23/2007, 02:23 PM
I am not familiar with Texas law, but if any state in the Union allowed people to pay off debts with pennies I would be shocked.

It's not state law that's at issue, it's federal. The Coinage Act declares US currency legal tender (see what Veritas posted), which according to my understanding means that a creditor must accept it as payment.

According to my understanding, the place where a transaction in legal tender can be refused is at the point of the transaction -- ie, if you go to buy some gas, they can refuse to accept cash. But if they give you gas on credit, they can't subsequently refuse to accept legal tender as payment.

The key is the creditor/debtor relation. Legal tender requirements only kick in when that relationship exists.

cvsooner
11/23/2007, 03:22 PM
Back to the thread title:

I don't.