PDA

View Full Version : Here's the latest on Bradford and English

Widescreen
11/21/2007, 09:31 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=071121_2__Oklah16518

By John E. Hoover and Guerin Emig, World sports writers
11/21/2007 5:51 PM
Last Modified: 11/21/2007 5:56 PM

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said after practice Wednesday night that a determination hadn't been made yet on whether quarterback Sam Bradford will play Saturday against Oklahoma State.

“Everything for Sam at this point has been positive,” Stoops said. “That doesn’t mean he’s set to play. Doctors will evaluate him today and tomorrow and make that determination."

Bradford, the nation's top-rated passer, with an efficiency rating of 179.4, sustained a concussion on the Sooners' first offensive play last week in a 34-27 loss at Texas Tech.

Bradford, who needs one touchdown pass to tie the NCAA single-season freshman record of 29, gradually has become more involved in practice since Monday, and on Tuesday took 75 percent of the snaps in practice, Stoops said.

Stoops also pronounced defensive end Auston English doubtful. English has missed the last two games with a broken bone in his lower right leg. He had a surgical procedure last week to insert a stabilizing pin, but hasn't been able to return yet.

r5TPsooner
11/21/2007, 09:40 PM
Not so good news about English. He's a stud on our D for sure. Hope he's back for whatever bowl game we get.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/21/2007, 09:43 PM
Not so good news about English. He's a stud on our D for sure. Hope he's back for whatever bowl game we get.

I hopeEnglish is back for the Big 12 Championship game after we smoke OSU.

Collier11
11/21/2007, 09:50 PM
English worries me cus we cant get a pass rush without him...

Newbomb Turk
11/21/2007, 09:52 PM

absoruetly.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/21/2007, 09:55 PM

English worries me becuz I kant spel.:D

We are really thin at DE and it is a little late to burn someone's redshirt.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/21/2007, 10:56 PM
But what did we do last year to generate pressure when we weren't exactly smokin' folks at the line of scrimmage?

Wish we had English's motor up there, but if BV holds to pattern, he'll bring Nic 'The Hammer' Harris up to pop a lil' pain and support against the run. HOPEFULLY they picked up a thing or two from last week and keep the pressure steady.

We'll see.

OU-HSV
11/21/2007, 11:04 PM
Wow, I didnt realize he was that close to the freshman record. Would that be colt mccoy's record?

KHS Sooner
11/21/2007, 11:33 PM
Hopefully Bradford can get that record, and we are probaly going to need him against osu.

insuranceman_22
11/22/2007, 12:58 AM
Do you guys remember at the beginning of the year how we (well a lot of people) were raving about how deep we were at QB and RB. It would appear that we're about to find out. If SB doesn't go, JH will start and KN may indeed make an appearance. DM isn't doing any toting this weekend and AP is in the doghouse for slippery hands, looks like CB, MM and hopefully Gute will all get a few carries. I wish we had all the starters healthy, this is going to be a tough game. The orange always gets jacked-up for us and we're definately not firing on all cylinders....that being said, I think we'll still win. Go Sooners!

OU-HSV
11/22/2007, 01:04 AM
Do you guys remember at the beginning of the year how we (well a lot of people) were raving about how deep we were at QB and RB. It would appear that we're about to find out. If SB doesn't go, JH will start and KN may indeed make an appearance. DM isn't doing any toting this weekend and AP is in the doghouse for slippery hands, looks like CB, MM and hopefully Gute will all get a few carries. I wish we had all the starters healthy, this is going to be a tough game. The orange always gets jacked-up for us and we're definately not firing on all cylinders....that being said, I think we'll still win. Go Sooners!
Agreed, this will show us our depth.
Something I've been thinking about is how everyone seems so critical of Bob for not giving JH and KN more snaps earlier in the season, but on the flip side people would be questioning him if they felt Sam hadn't got enough snaps. I think the coaches have handled the QB situation well this year, letting Sam get all he can out there. Also, now it shows to be a great thing that CB was giving a lot of playing time throughout this season instead of naming AP the starter and barely letting the backups play. IMHO we are fine at RB. And I think once JH and KN get some snaps and get settled in more, we'll be fine at QB too. Just my take.

sooner59
11/22/2007, 02:22 AM
I think you are right. On the other hand, im going to be shocked if Sam doesn't play. I think he will get cleared later tomorrow. But if he doesn't, I think JH will do fine at home with the fans behind him. Losing Murray hurts, but injuries seem to bring out the best in back-ups. I know JH started slow, but he picked it up. Last year, AP stepped in for AD and carried the load. I think we have a package of backs that can pick up the slack. As far as Tennel and Davis go, I think the TE will be used more to make up for Adron being hurt, and on DE, im just hoping that Dotson, Beal, and Taylor can hold their own. According to Bob, they will get help from the likes of McCoy and possibly others as DTs will work in this week as DEs. I think that we have a lot of talent that can be utilized without burning redshirts. I just hope their heart matches their talent. If it does, they have a chance to be more like last year's team and fight through adversity and injuries and make the best of the situation. This week's quote/pep talk for our team should be "Be like Paul Thompson today!" I stole that from someone's signature. I don't remember who it is, but I give them credit, its a good line.

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2007, 02:41 AM
Wow, I didnt realize he was that close to the freshman record. Would that be colt mccoy's record?

McCoy is actually tied with someone, can't remember who, but they had it first.

sooneron
11/22/2007, 11:05 AM
McCoy is actually tied with someone, can't remember who, but they had it first.
Some guy from Idaho or something.

OU-HSV
11/23/2007, 12:54 AM
Some guy from Idaho or something.
Found it. Colt is tied with this guy:
David Neill 1998 Nevada 29 pass TDs

Sam ties them with one more td

yermom
11/23/2007, 01:18 AM
since that includes bowls... he should break that one pretty easily

douxpaysan
11/23/2007, 02:14 AM
I get the sense that almost everyone on here would rather not take any unnecessary risks with SB. I am genuinely optimistic with JH's ability to get the job done saturday. Truth be told wouldn't it be sweet to beat them with our back-up? Plenty of time for records...

colleyvillesooner
11/23/2007, 11:05 AM
ESPN reported last night that Sam was medically cleared to play.

rondog79
11/23/2007, 12:35 PM
ZERO STATE FANS HAVE TO BE TRIMBLING NOW THAT OUR BOY IS BACK. DOWN GOES THE SHEEPHUMPERS

StoopTroup
11/23/2007, 12:37 PM
I dOUbt it rondog...

They are busy preparing for new bumper stickers to put on their vehicles once they win their bowl game.

To bad all that planning is going to waste. :D

:pop: