PDA

View Full Version : Blevins says the Sonics and Hornets

stoopified
11/21/2007, 04:58 PM
will swap owhership and Bennet will bring the Hornets back to OKC and that Shinn will leave Sonics in Seattle.He made this comment back a few weeks ago as the NBA season started.I had forgotten about the comments until seeing a recnt story where Shinn was bemoaning NO having the worst attendance in the NBA.Sad considering how well the Hornets are playing too.I do not recall any particulars about the story other then Dean saying there would be the swap and Hornets would be OKC bound.Does anyone else recall this Blevins SCOOP?

Taxman71
11/21/2007, 05:11 PM
Plus, there is a 95-37 percent chance Stoops goes to Florida.

SOONER STEAKER
11/21/2007, 05:12 PM
He said that in his minute & thirty second rant. He didn't go into detail but those were his words.

Big Red Ron
11/21/2007, 07:07 PM
He said it but I ain't buying it. Durant is going to be a mega star. Green is going to be his Scottie Pippin (sp) and they'll be in the lottery with a minimum top 5 pick. The Hornets are a good team but minus CP3, nobody on par with Durant.

Also, I think the Hornets are in a way tougher division with;
Dallas Mavericks
Houston Rockets
Memphis Grizzlies
San Antonio Spurs

Compared to;
Denver Nuggets
Minnesota T-Wolves
Portland Trail Blazers
Utah Jazz

I wouldn't make that trade if I were the Sonics.

BigRedJed
11/21/2007, 08:34 PM
His thoughts are unoriginal (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7465330). However, I highly doubt there will be a franchise trade. The league wants Shinn out of the picture, if possible.

However, as I have been saying for more than one year now, I still believe the following could transpire: legal wrangling keeps the Sonics tied up in Seattle for another year or two (or three), in which time an arena deal could materialize. The team shoots up in value 30%+ with a new arena, and Clay and Co. sell to Seattle investors for a sick profit.

They are then given the opportunity to purchase a near-bankrupt, beleaguered Hornets franchise for fire-sale prices. This accomplishes the following for the NBA:

Keeps a team in Seattle, a top-tier city, and saves the black eye of a 40-year team with a championship history leaving said city.
Gets George Shinn out of David Stern's hair, and out of the league.
Stabilizes the Hornets organization by moving them to a proven market with built-in team fanbase, where they will be an instant success, instead of having to sell them to fans in a fourth city this decade.
Puts a team in OKC, a market the league is excited about, and allows a graceful exit from NOLA, a city they already know can't support a team for years to come.It accomplishes the following for Clay Bennett and OKC investors:

Allows them to turn a ridiculous profit on the Sonics
Allows them to purchase another NBA franchise for a fraction the cost they paid for the Sonics (there would be a swing of more than a quarter of a BILLION dollars in what it would cost them to bring the Sonics here, not chump change even for a guy like Aubrey McClendon).
Allows them to make good on their promise to bring a team to OKC, even if it takes an extra couple of years.Trust me folks, Sonics to OKC is no done deal at this point.

BigRedJed
11/21/2007, 08:47 PM
And I have to say, the talent on the court is really gonna have squat to do with which team the investors want to bring here. Talent comes and goes. They and the NBA also know they will have an easier time marketing the Hornets to OKC, not that it makes a huge difference. Their goals are simple: (1) make money, and (2) bring a team, any team, to OKC. In that VERY SPECIFIC order.

Big Red Ron
11/21/2007, 08:55 PM
And I have to say, the talent on the court is really gonna have squat to do with which team the investors want to bring here. Talent comes and goes. They and the NBA also know they will have an easier time marketing the Hornets to OKC, not that it makes a huge difference. Their goals are simple: (1) make money, and (2) bring a team, any team, to OKC. In that VERY SPECIFIC order.Just to be clear, I was referring to how silly a team swap would be from a value proposition perspective. The Hornets have been in three cities and have no real national image or branding. The Sonics are a much more marketable team nationally (where the big $$ are) Neither team will be difficult to market in Oklahoma.

The only way a swap occurs is if it is in name only (CPC is a Sonic in Seatle and Durant is a Hornet in OKC). Sorta like the Colts/Ravens deal.

It doesn't really matter, one of the teams, more than likely the Sonics will be in OKC soon enough.

rubyspirit
11/22/2007, 02:07 PM
Hahaha ... you believe Dean's reporting. LOL!