PDA

View Full Version : IPOD and Off Brand Experts

StoopTroup
11/21/2007, 04:28 PM
We were looking for an IPOD yesterday for the Daughter's Christmas Present.

After all the horror stories we've heard about how kids have distroyed them we will get a replacement plan for sure.

Anyway...the Girl will be 10 in Feb. and we thought it's time to get it for her as she has become a very good pianist and is very musically inclined like her Parents. We want her to have a nice one too.

I'm leaning toward the $149.99 IPOD with video for her.

We've researched some but any advice would be greatly appreciated as we want this to be a special gift for her. She is in the excellerated program in School and is keeping her grades at top notch and really deserves something like this...

TIA

Boomer Sooner ! ! !

ST

Taxman71
11/21/2007, 05:17 PM
Sounds like a good choice for your situation. She will like having what everyone else has plus there are tons of accessories for Ipods (covers, clock radios, etc.). I would get the biggest (in terms of Gigabytes) you can afford as those things fillup quick, especially with video. The extra $$ won't be a big deal 6 months from now.

If the MP3 player was for working out, lawn mowing or more physical stuff, the MP3 would likely be too fragile compared to an Iriver or the like.

yermom
11/21/2007, 05:42 PM
i don't think you can beat the quality of the iPod, i'd just be more likely to get something cheaper for a kid that young

but if you think she's going to take care of it, it sounds good. the Nano is probably less likely to have problems than the full iPod since there are no moving parts. (flash vs. hard drive)

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2007, 05:46 PM
I love IPod, but if I were going to get a flash player then I think I'd probably go with the Samsung Sansa.

rufnek05
11/21/2007, 05:49 PM
I have the first gen 30GB video, wish I had gotten something a little smaller, mainly for battery life. The video is cool and all, but the nano would have been a btter fit. but thats just me.

yermom
11/21/2007, 06:30 PM
I love IPod, but if I were going to get a flash player then I think I'd probably go with the Sandisk Sansa.

i got a refurb on woot a week or so ago and it was nice for ~$30, but i don't think it's worth not getting the iPod for the difference in retail prices, but that's just me

soonerboomer93
11/21/2007, 06:41 PM
I like my iPod personally, but I hate iTunes (okay, I don't hate it, I dislike it stongly)

soonerinabilene
11/21/2007, 06:41 PM
Stay away from Creative. I went through 3 in a year before I switched to Ipod. One thing I do advise is getting the product replacement plan that the store usually offers ( i know best buy has it) It costs 20 bucks at the time at purchase, but if it craps out on her, or she drops it in the bathtub, or the dog pees on it, or anything, you take it in and they give you a brand new one on the spot. Only thing you have pay is 20 bucks again if you want the plan to cover the new one.

StormySooner-IN
11/21/2007, 07:36 PM
My 15 yr old advice is to GET AN IPOD.

Ipod=teh awesome.

Just sayin. That is all.

soonerbrat
11/21/2007, 07:47 PM
I have the first gen 30GB video, wish I had gotten something a little smaller, mainly for battery life. The video is cool and all, but the nano would have been a btter fit. but thats just me.

my 60G iPod is over a year old and the battery stays good all day long and then some. I listen to it every day at work for about 8 hrs a day and then charge it on my iHome at night

Curly Bill
11/21/2007, 07:58 PM
I finally broke down and joined the 21st century buying an IPOD Nano 4 six months or so ago. I chose the Nano because of working out with it and the no moving parts thingy. I use it extensively working out, running with it, etc...and have no complaints whatsoever. I did get the two year replacement plan (Wal Mart) just in case.

StoopTroup
11/21/2007, 08:26 PM
yOU all are teh awesome!

Thanks!

ST

Boarder
11/21/2007, 08:46 PM
The Best Buy warranty doesn't cover everything. It doesn't cover if you drop it and break the glass or any damage like that. I had heard about it and point blank asked them when I bought the replacement for my damaged one a while back. After some hmmhawwing they finally admitted that it didn't cover damage.

yermom
11/21/2007, 09:08 PM
this is different than Applecare, right?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=4B8E627A&nplm=MA964LL/A

i've never used it, but reportedly, they will fix anything. you might ask someone at the Apple Store about that. the prices aren't really going to be any better anywhere with the way Apple prices stuff. if you buy the iPod online they will engrave it for free too

Boarder
11/21/2007, 09:12 PM
When they first present it to you, the Best Buy is a "cover everything" warranty. they almost come out and say that you can throw it down and come get another one. But, when pressed, they admit it doesn't. I haven't heard anything on Applecare. There was a place called ipodlounge.com or something that had tons and tons of info. I havent needed it in a while so I haven't looked.

Boarder
11/21/2007, 09:13 PM
Oh, and for a youngster, I'd think about getting a Nano. Mrs SB washed a pair of my jeans with my Nano in the pocket. It didn't work for about a week then magically came back on and started working again. It was amazing to me.

yermom
11/21/2007, 09:18 PM
When they first present it to you, the Best Buy is a "cover everything" warranty. they almost come out and say that you can throw it down and come get another one. But, when pressed, they admit it doesn't. I haven't heard anything on Applecare. There was a place called ipodlounge.com or something that had tons and tons of info. I havent needed it in a while so I haven't looked.

my Apple geek friends swear by Applecare

soonerinabilene
11/21/2007, 09:39 PM

There are two coverages: Product Replacement Plan, which they will give you a new one if something happens to it( I have already used it once because my son dropped mine in the toilet) All I had to do was pay 20 bucks for the plan to roll over to the replacement.

The second one is the product service plan, which is basically for 3 years, if something happens to it, you bring it in and they mail it off to have it fixed and then mail it back to you. The replacement plan is the best way to go.

soonerboomer93
11/21/2007, 09:55 PM
Oh, and for a youngster, I'd think about getting a Nano. Mrs SB washed a pair of my jeans with my Nano in the pocket. It didn't work for about a week then magically came back on and started working again. It was amazing to me.

solid state electronics
if it's not on when it goes in the drink (so it can't short) just have to wait for the internals to dry out. sometimes will still work if it was on.

Newbomb Turk
11/21/2007, 10:09 PM
solid state electronics

amen - don't get an mp3 player with a tube-type amp.

BTW - I really like my Sandisk Sansa.

StoopTroup
1/1/2008, 04:30 PM
Well...another SO win.

I love my Nano.

We got 3. One for the girl and one each for me and the Ms.

Subscribed to MP3Rocket and Limewire and figured out how to sync everything.

We bought the boy a Sandisc Shaker and are now going to try to help him download some stuff.

Again...

Thanks to everyone for their input.

ST

Frozen Sooner
1/1/2008, 04:39 PM
amen - don't get an mp3 player with a tube-type amp.

Dude, the McIntosh .mp3 players sound so warm and lifelike.

Of course, you have to carry them in a backpack and they weigh about 100 lbs...

OCUDad
1/1/2008, 05:45 PM
I love IPod, but if I were going to get a flash player then I think I'd probably go with the Samsung Sansa.Great to hear from an expert who knows all about this stuff. Can you show me where I can pick up a Samsung Sansa? :pop:

sooner_born_1960
1/1/2008, 05:59 PM
The Magnavox Walkman is the shnitz.

bluedogok
1/1/2008, 09:02 PM
my Apple geek friends swear by Applecare
NEVER buy an extended warranty from anyone other than the manufacturer. All of those things that Best Buy and the others sell are absolutely worthless. They are nothing but pure profit for the stores and I have never known anyone who has actually had them work. Always stick with Applecare or the like since they have a vested in terest in the product.

Sooner_Bob
1/1/2008, 09:41 PM
I love my 30 gb iPod . . . I'm thinking about buying my 9 year-old a nano for her birthday in April.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/1/2008, 09:42 PM
NEVER buy an extended warranty from anyone other than the manufacturer. All of those things that Best Buy and the others sell are absolutely worthless. They are nothing but pure profit for the stores and I have never known anyone who has actually had them work. Always stick with Applecare or the like since they have a vested in terest in the product.I bought the warranty for my digital camera from Best Buy. Within a month, my camera just quit working. They sent it to their repair place who said it wasn't working because the camera had been dropped. I told BB that wasn't true and that any problems had to be mechanical. For all I knew they dropped it at the repair place. BB ended up giving me a replacement camera. Maybe that was just a fluke.

Cam
1/1/2008, 09:51 PM
Stay away from Creative.
I've got two Creative Zen's (V & Microphoto) and have had zero issues with either of them. The Microphoto is a little awkward to work, but no complaints with either one of them as of yet.

pott_2
1/2/2008, 06:46 AM
IPOD is the only way. The other kids will beat up your kid if they have a Zune, etc. Only use the Applecare warranty. I have an older Nano and a new touch. No problems at all.

pb4ou
1/15/2008, 01:24 AM
I just bought a Sansa Sandisk and I love it. I also have a 2 year warranty from Radio Shack on it. It will replace all damages except for water damage.