PDA

View Full Version : Lingering effects of concussions

Okla-homey
11/21/2007, 02:11 PM
I ain't about to put this on the FB board, cuz, well, you know...

Anyhoo, I was visiting with a person who was in a car wreck this summer. The person's noggin impacted the steering column and the person got a whopper of a popknot on the forehead and a concussion to boot. Hospitalized for a couple days.

The airbag failed to deploy, and the shoulder belt didn't engage, but that's irrelevant to this thread.

This person seemed very credible when the person told me they remained essentially dazed and confused for the better part of a month following the injury. This person is all better now.

Based on that, I'm thinking we may not see Sam sling one again this season.:(

What say you geniuii?

:pop:

OKLA21FAN
11/21/2007, 02:15 PM
many doctors will say to not have any 'contact' until at least ten days after the post concussion symptoms have worn off.

I would hate for a player to come back too soon and really jeopardized his career.

TUSooner
11/21/2007, 02:19 PM
C'mon , Joey, You can do it!
BOOMER SOONER! and
Get Well Soon, Sam, and enjoy the week off.

Okla-homey
11/21/2007, 02:20 PM
many doctors will say to not have any 'contact' until at least ten days after the post concussion symptoms have worn off.

I would hate for a player to come back too soon and really jeopardized his career.

I quite agree. I'd rather lose the BigXII this year (and that is NOT a foregone conclusion based on what I saw of Halzel in the 4Q vs. TT ) than lose Slingin' Sammy for good. I also pray, for his sake alone, he's 100% soon. That kid has as much heart as anyone I've seen play the game.

I just hope he heals up. I understand that was his second concussion. Evidently, subsequent concussions are trickier than the first time.

OUDoc
11/21/2007, 02:20 PM
I think it really depends on Sam and how hard he was hit. I don't think there's a standard answer (although I could be wrong), however, I'm glad I don't have to make the call whether or not he plays this weekend. If he busts his head again.......

olevetonahill
11/21/2007, 02:28 PM
IF there is any chance of him making it worse then DONT chance it

TexasLidig8r
11/21/2007, 02:31 PM
Here's hoping both your QB and Demarco Murray recover completely.

NormanPride
11/21/2007, 02:32 PM
Next year is our NC shot, anyway. The arrogant fan in me says we could beat the pokies with me at QB. The caring human in me says "Let Sam rest."

yermom
11/21/2007, 02:34 PM
from the way they were talking in the interviews they seem to expect Halzle to play Saturday (the running game taking the pressure off Joey, etc...)

but like Doc said, it really depends on how hard he got hit, not all concussions are created equal

Partial Qualifier
11/21/2007, 02:37 PM
Sam's injury probably doesn't compare to the car carsh person's. The doctors are allowing him to practice this week so I'd guess they'd let him play sooner rather than later. Sounds like he just got his bell rung (slight concussion)

So, whats the make & model of the deathmobile? ;)

silverwheels
11/21/2007, 02:40 PM
I sustained what was probably a minor concussion last year, and my head hurt for about 2 weeks afterwards. I could function up to my usual standards after a couple of days, but I'm not a football player.

Mjcpr
11/21/2007, 02:41 PM
In my expert opinion it was stinger or a sprain. Put him in, I work with too many Pokes.

;)

KC//CRIMSON
11/21/2007, 02:49 PM
Speaking of air bags, have you ever had one go off before?

It's like someone hitting you in the face as hard as they can with a tennis racket.

F'n hurts!

picasso
11/21/2007, 03:01 PM
wasn't Sam more like squished or sandwiched than popped in the head? It looked like Duke fell on him, luckily he wasn't killed. I think it squeezed part of the life outta him myself.

fadada1
11/21/2007, 03:04 PM
Speaking of air bags, have you ever had one go off before?

It's like someone hitting you in the face as hard as they can with a tennis racket.

F'n hurts!
probably better than the alternative;) ;)

i got me one of them concussion things my freshman year. lost about 5 hours of memory (2 hours before, 3 hours after). was only "out" for about 5 seconds. scary them head hittin' incidents.

mikeelikee
11/21/2007, 04:41 PM
The fact he didn't lose consciousness gives me hope he'll be able to go against the Pokies.