PDA

View Full Version : Chokes "disgusted"......again

Crimsontothecore
11/21/2007, 11:59 AM
More fodder from orangepower.com
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=44758
Do they really think their 47 fans will "drown out" 84,000+? My favorite is okstate5968 who plans on letting everyone in her vicinity know how she feels.
From the looks of her picture her vicinity will probably be the concession stand.

OUDoc
11/21/2007, 12:27 PM
Most of our thoughts on changing the ending have been well documented.

Ardmore_Sooner
11/21/2007, 12:30 PM
Neg away, but I agree with them, and I ALWAYS yell "brave" at the end.

mdklatt
11/21/2007, 12:42 PM

Yep. Even a broken watch is right twice a day, and the agroids are right about this.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/21/2007, 12:59 PM
Well you can do what you want to us, but we're not gonna sit here and let you bad mouth the United States of America!

Well said, Otter. Well said.

85sooners
11/21/2007, 01:19 PM
:P

Sooner98
11/21/2007, 01:53 PM
Can't say I disagree with them.

soonerloyal
11/21/2007, 02:35 PM
I'm bothered by it, but my Marines don't get bent out of shape when they hear it. One says the ending is just stupid. They both love the OU-in-the-corner flag. Jon said that if the OU logo was over the stars and field of blue, that would be disrespectful; but since it's just an all-over Crimson & Cream, it's all good.

I'd love one of those outraged fans to call me disrespectful and unpatriotic to my face. They'd see a whole new version of Crimson up-close & personal.

With all the real problems in this country that are far more worthy of outrage and concern, they've got a corncob up their arses about this? Figures. :rolleyes:

sooner n houston
11/21/2007, 02:40 PM
I don't like it either.

SoonerBBall
11/21/2007, 03:30 PM
Can we possibly stop crying about this ever?

So you don't like it. That is fine. So of us do, but we don't start threads about it every damn season.

If you don't like it, don't participate. See, that was easy.

BoulderSooner79
11/21/2007, 03:34 PM
I have a lousy singing voice at best, so I just participate in the silent prayer.

Crimsontothecore
11/21/2007, 03:36 PM
My original point is that these "loyal Americans" who are so disgusted at a harmless university tradition are the same people who defended their coach for giving a scholarship to a child rapist. Apparently they don't proudly defend the safety of children like they do lyrics to a song.

picasso
11/21/2007, 03:42 PM
it's not an old tradition, it's fairly new and it's not a big deal.

Pokes hate us for everything, not just that thar song.

OKLA21FAN
11/21/2007, 03:45 PM
My original point is that these "loyal Americans" who are so disgusted at a harmless university tradition are the same people who defended their coach for giving a scholarship to a child rapist. Apparently they don't proudly defend the safety of children like they do lyrics to a song.

or taking a leak on an elementary school wall :pop:

cheezyq
11/21/2007, 04:25 PM
It's just sad that they have to resort to this as a complaint. So what? Shouldn't they bemoan the fact that they have only 16 wins against us? Shouldn't they focus their frustration on 52-9, or something similar?

"We're better cuz we duzn't desimicrait the national anthem...nanny nanny boo boo"

Really? That's their insult?

Here's one: I'm sure that Westerners are offended by their stupid Pistol Pete mascot and the fact that they chose blinding orange as a color to blend with brown. You ask me, that's just offensive on a "holding down my lunch" level. But seriously, if you show up in a saloon in the late 1800s with a bright orange hat on, I'm pretty sure your about to get your *** kicked.

But, I guess the score, according to Stoolwater U is:

We is #1, cuz we's got moor rasslin' champeenships
We is #1, cuz we's ain't livin' in traylers an duzn't got mullitts
We is #1, cuz we is gunna beet dem gooners in a cupple yeers, cuz we is a teem on da ryz
We is #1, cuz we duzn't desimacrait da 'Mericun song
We is #1, cuz........dammit, wen duz baskitball seesun beegin?
We is #1, cuz........dammit again, wen duz rasslin' seesun beegin?

There comes a point in every aggy discussion/argument where :rolleyes: is the only thing that remains to be said.

stoopified
11/21/2007, 04:27 PM
My original point is that these "loyal Americans" who are so disgusted at a harmless university tradition are the same people who defended their coach for giving a scholarship to a child rapist. Apparently they don't proudly defend the safety of children like they do lyrics to a song.Good point.I do have to admit though,I sing the song as written or as close to it as my poor singing allows.

blackbeauty02
11/21/2007, 04:44 PM

burn...

tommieharris91
11/21/2007, 05:08 PM
You know it's a bad day in aggieville when they can't ask after the game:

"How's your basketball team look this year?"

sooner59
11/21/2007, 06:30 PM
I can think of about 4,000 more important things in this country off the top of my head. Who cares. I have marine friends, and they could care less....and one of them is a poke fan. Both teams do things that the other doesnt like, this is just one of them.

Big Red Ron
11/21/2007, 06:56 PM
Part of this wonderful Republic we live in, is that we can say whatever the f**k we want. It's called freedom. Some of us have defended the rights of everyone to say whatever the heck they want.

BTW - I think it's totally benign. It's not an either / or situation. America is the home of the Sooners and obviously the brave. I know servicemen who say "Sooners" at that point in the song.

I kinda like it.

Freedom.

jk the sooner fan
11/21/2007, 07:36 PM

me too

Tulsa_Fireman
11/21/2007, 08:44 PM
I don't.

I yell "Sooners".

But I've killed lots of puppies and kittens in my lifetime.

josh09
11/21/2007, 08:48 PM
More fodder from orangepower.com
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=44758
Do they really think their 47 fans will "drown out" 84,000+? My favorite is okstate5968 who plans on letting everyone in her vicinity know how she feels.
From the looks of her picture her vicinity will probably be the concession stand.

Jeez, i cant wait to go to the game and give them SO much crap!

soonerboomer93
11/21/2007, 09:34 PM
one of the biggest supports on the boards of saying "sooners" at the end is currently serving our country overseas in the military.

(but yeah, I prefer brave)

1stTimeCaller
11/21/2007, 09:59 PM
I can see where some people would find it offensive.

I don't find it offensive.

You aren't going to convince me that it is offensive and I'm not going to convince you that it isn't.

Let's worry about something else, shall we?

Tulsa_Fireman
11/21/2007, 10:44 PM
No.

I'm so offended, I think I'll go punch a nun and burn the flag.

1stTimeCaller
11/21/2007, 10:47 PM
As a fan of the sport of football, I'm offended at the product their school continues to put on the field.

soonerboomer93
11/21/2007, 10:56 PM
as a fan of Oklahoma, i'm offended that they have Oklahoma in their name

Tulsa_Fireman
11/21/2007, 11:05 PM
As a person, I'm offended that they are also persons.

insuranceman_22
11/22/2007, 01:07 AM
So we say "Sooners" instead of brave, they lhump sheep in the pasture....you tell me which is worse?

Okay seriously, it's not such a big deal. Nobody means disrespect to America by doing it. It's a sports thing that us Sooner fans do. It's closing in on kick-off and everybody is fired up, it's been around for a several years and it's probably not going away....you all are simply going to have to get used to it or get ****ed off every game.....

ouwasp
11/22/2007, 01:22 AM
I really think this new tradition causes more people to sing the anthem. I'm certain of it, but have no way of proving it.

Doesn't bother me; there are a lot more things to get upset about imo.

MamaMia
11/22/2007, 01:37 AM
I compromise. I say Brave but do the #1 sign in the air. It would be nice if we said, "...and the hooooome of the braaaaave...and the Sooners!!!! :D

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2007, 01:40 AM
I like the point Paperclip makes to OSU fans regarding the song Oklahoma:

The problem is, "honey lamb" is a term of endearment. It's not to be taken literally.

I don't get caught up in these OU vs OSU arguments (I root for both teams, although always the Sooners), but I found that pretty funny.

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2007, 01:49 AM
I would rather listen to a version with "Sooners" at the end then the jazzed-up, be-pop versions you hear modern singers belt out. You know what I mean:

"Oh say, can you see, biddy-biddy bup boop, by the dawwwwn's, dawwwwn's, dawwwns' early light, man!

SleestakSooner
11/22/2007, 12:40 PM
I would rather listen to a version with "Sooners" at the end then the jazzed-up, be-pop versions you hear modern singers belt out. You know what I mean:

"Oh say, can you see, biddy-biddy bup boop, by the dawwwwn's, dawwwwn's, dawwwns' early light, man!

"And now here specially for the patrons of Boone Pickens Stadium we present Snoop Dog singing our National Anthem!"

jdsooner
11/22/2007, 06:19 PM
I am offended by bright orange that hurts my eyes.

oklaclarinet
11/22/2007, 08:30 PM

My pet peeve with the anthem is when singers get one of the basic aspects of the melody wrong. It is one of the most common mistakes in singing the anthem. This mistake happens on the "ly" in "dawn's early light" and the "lous" in "perilous fight." Both of those notes are supposed to be secondary dominants, or in other terms, they are raised half a step from the note in the key. Using solfege, the sequence should be Mi-Fi-So, not Mi-Fa-So, Fi being the Fa note raised by half a step. Missing this melodic difference completely changes the cadence at the end of the phrase. I get really frustrated when singers who claim to have talent miss this simple musical concept then go on to do all sorts of crazy melismas at the end of the song that for some reason people think are impressive. (Case in point, Ashanti at the start of the Dallas game today. She did all sorts of fancy vocals at the end, but she already lost any positive opinion I might have considered for her when she missed the aforementioned raised half step.)

badger
11/22/2007, 08:35 PM
well... isn't America the home of the Sooners?

eh. whatev. I'm sick of hearing how offended people are about everything. Lighten up and get over yourself, already.

olevetonahill
11/22/2007, 08:39 PM
I can see where some people would find it offensive.

I don't find it offensive.

You aren't going to convince me that it is offensive and I'm not going to convince you that it isn't.

Let's worry about something else, shall we?
Bro we are so ****ed if You are the voice of reason here :D :P

jkjsooner
11/22/2007, 08:45 PM
It's as unpatriotic as burning the flag. It shows a complete an utter disrespect for the Country you're singing about by separating yourself (and trying to hold yourself out as superior) rather than unifying yourself with the rest of the nation.

This guys, presumably an attorney, apparently sees the world in black/white only and can't comprehend any shades of gray.

To him this action is equivalent to an offensive, violent, and hateful form of anti-American expression. :confused: That being said, I still agree with the freedom to burn a flag as even repulsive expression should be legally defended (yet publicly criticized) but that's a topic for another board.

olevetonahill
11/22/2007, 08:45 PM
My pet peeve with the anthem is when singers get one of the basic aspects of the melody wrong. It is one of the most common mistakes in singing the anthem. This mistake happens on the "ly" in "dawn's early light" and the "lous" in "perilous fight." Both of those notes are supposed to be secondary dominants, or in other terms, they are raised half a step from the note in the key. Using solfege, the sequence should be Mi-Fi-So, not Mi-Fa-So, Fi being the Fa note raised by half a step. Missing this melodic difference completely changes the cadence at the end of the phrase. I get really frustrated when singers who claim to have talent miss this simple musical concept then go on to do all sorts of crazy melismas at the end of the song that for some reason people think are impressive. (Case in point, Ashanti at the start of the Dallas game today. She did all sorts of fancy vocals at the end, but she already lost any positive opinion I might have considered for her when she missed the aforementioned raised half step.)

Dayum Band NERD :P
Now as a shot up Combat vet . I dont really care for it . But IT DOES NOT BOTHER ME .
Hell Ive been caught up in the Moment and done the same .
fergive Im a FAN :cool:

badger
11/22/2007, 08:48 PM
Some versions of the national anthem are so bad you might as well shout words at the end to make it end faster. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrFW2aYHVR8)

Click if you dare.

goingoneight
11/22/2007, 08:55 PM
You throw a fit about some fans changing the words to the national anthem, but you cheer like crazy when the child rapist makes a tackle. NTM you call a drunk driver who nearly killed an innocent woman a hero.

Glass houses... period.

badger
11/22/2007, 08:56 PM
You throw a fit about some fans changing the words to the national anthem, but you cheer like crazy when the child rapist makes a tackle. NTM you call a drunk driver who nearly killed an innocent woman a hero.

Glass houses... period.
I just found another "word changing" on the anthem video :D
Click here... if you dare. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMrsj11UWX8&feature=related)

EstablishedSooner1967
11/22/2007, 09:02 PM
I am not a big fan of yelling Sooners at all many of young men/woman lost lives protection our country and its flat disrespectful and if you want to yell Sooners I say fist pick up a weapon and man a post...

olevetonahill
11/22/2007, 09:12 PM
I am not a big fan of yelling Sooners at all many of young men/woman lost lives protection our country and its flat disrespectful and if you want to yell Sooners I say fist pick up a weapon and man a post...
Bro read My post :cool:

SleestakSooner
11/23/2007, 11:56 AM
Part of being American is enjoying the ability to use free speech. While a great number of OU fans do that at every home game, there are hundreds of other fan bases that do just the same while rooting for their teams. It would be completely un-american to tell people they are not supposed to alter anything that symbolizes our great country.

How many businesses do you know of that use some version or likeness of the USA flag to promote themselves?

While the OU fans exercise their right to free speech, they are not incorrect in the way they do it. A Sooner is representative of the University of Oklahoma, located in Norman, Oklahoma smack dab in the middle of the USA. Since we can all agree the term 'brave' at the end of the national anthem is in referrence to anyone living in America, Sooners are indeed part of the brave. Therefore it is true that Sooners are also brave just as cowboys are. In other words, the anthem is just as much ours as it is yours. We can and will change it however we like. If you don't like it stop crying and whining and wasting your breath and words.

Especially with pseudo-intellectual ramblings like this one found on the preferred aggot site:

Let me spell it out for you nimrod...the MAJORITY of your bandwagon, never took a class there fans don't know where the library is...get it now? You may want to find the library yourself, the use of "their" should be "there"...pitiful bandwagon mullet. Simple grammer....pathetic. But please, more of that sage wisdom there ...magic...bommer sonner! - OKCPoke.

I think we can all agree that it is truly pathetic to call someone out on their mistakes while making an egregious one of your own. If it's so simple you ought to be able to spell it correctly at the very least.:rolleyes:

Oh and btw... I am a veteran and former OU student as well.

[/smack down]

Mixer!
11/23/2007, 12:44 PM
"grammer"? :rolleyes:

Tulsa_Fireman
11/23/2007, 12:52 PM
Jammer.

He's an Alabammer fan.

bri
11/23/2007, 01:01 PM
aggy is just angry that we can come up with our own traditions.

Veritas
11/23/2007, 01:15 PM
My sorta unbiased perspective is that the OU thing (shouting 'Sooners') is kinda dumb, but the Chokes are reaching pretty hard for something to be indignant about.

I'd think they'd be indignant about perennially sucking.

bri
11/23/2007, 01:23 PM
The thing is, aggy doesn't think they suck. As long as they can go to a bowl game and beat someone they shouldn't (i.e. you guys this year, us in 2001 and 2002), they can turn a blind eye to getting prison raped by Troy and just keep towing the "team on the rise" party line. I mean, it's not like they're us or anything; they have no higher standards to look back on.

Veritas
11/23/2007, 01:49 PM
The thing is, aggy doesn't think they suck.
Some programs define success by perennially contending for MNCs and winning the conference.

Other programs define success by defeating those programs once every few years.

The Chokes are the latter.

Leroy Lizard
11/23/2007, 02:03 PM
What is the intent of singing Sooners at the end of the anthem? Is it to show your disgust at our country? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. There' a Horn fan who uses a doctored image of our country's flag as his avatar. He replaced the stars with Bevo heads. So what?

Burning the flag is a completely different issue, because the act is performed to show one's disgust with the country.

BTW, I have seen t-shirts with the slogan "Land of the Free, Home of the Cowboys."

bri
11/23/2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah, but that guy over on aggy board hasn't, so it isn't true.

God, I hate those f*cking inbreds.

birddog
11/23/2007, 02:23 PM

i guess i need singing lessons then.

Crimsontothecore
11/23/2007, 08:58 PM
Some programs define success by perennially contending for MNCs and winning the conference.

Other programs define success by defeating those programs once every few years.

The Chokes are the latter.
Very well put. Their entire identity is to be a stumbling block.

sanantoniosooner
11/24/2007, 12:09 AM
My sorta unbiased perspective is that the OU thing (shouting 'Sooners') is kinda dumb, but the Chokes are reaching pretty hard for something to be indignant about.

I'd think they'd be indignant about perennially sucking.
Exactly.

On both points.

Sure it's people's right to be stupid. And it's my right to be annoyed at their stupidity. And it's their right to defend their stupidity. And it's my right to point out it's still stupid even if they have the right to do something stupid.

SoonerBBall
11/24/2007, 01:16 AM
Exactly.

On both points.

Sure it's people's right to be stupid. And it's my right to be annoyed at their stupidity. And it's their right to defend their stupidity. And it's my right to point out it's still stupid even if they have the right to do something stupid.

That was stupid.