PDA

View Full Version : WEST VIRGINIA

BIG_IKE
11/21/2007, 08:54 AM
I can't contain this ANY longer.
What the HELL is the media/fan obsession with West Virginia and the National Championship?!?!?!!?
These over inflated one dimensional guys who play a powder puff schedule are always thrown int the national title hunt and every year they lose to teams that would never win the Big 12 or any other major conference.

Whats the deal?!?! Their claim to fame is beating Georgia that ONE YEAR unexpectedly in a BCS a game. Aside from that, they do not impress me at all.
So what if they have a good QB and RB. Lots of schools do. Someone please help me understand this WV obsession. They are as overrated as SUC, Texass, Wisconsin, and a few SEC teams if you ask me. The killer part is..I honestly don't believe they could even beat those teams. WVU is a top 25 team, but not top 10.

MarylandSooner
11/21/2007, 09:22 AM
Lets face it, the East Coast drive by media has to have someone to prop up from their BCS Big East conference and it might as well be the WV. WV might not be so high and mighty though come this weekend afte playing Uconn.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/21/2007, 09:32 AM
$$$$$Ratings$$$$$

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2007, 09:59 AM
I think one thing that people find fascinating about them is they do something that we're told cant be done..And thats win football games being one dimensional. I like watching them and would love a OU/WV matchup just to see how OU would stop them.

bri
11/21/2007, 10:02 AM
Well, I'll say this for West Virginia...at least they can win a conference road game. That's probably why they're still in the discussion.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2007, 10:04 AM
Well, I'll say this for West Virginia...at least they can win a conference road game. That's probably why they're still in the discussion.

Word. Something can be said for a team that wins games its supposed to win

soonersweetie
11/21/2007, 02:42 PM
I have said this all year long. I just don't get the love for WV. They just don't impress me.

silverwheels
11/21/2007, 02:49 PM

Well, all of the ones they've played so far except for one.

BoulderSooner79
11/21/2007, 03:20 PM
I think the interest is more about the BCS than WVU, and the Sooners are part of the reason that WVU gets attention. OU is now in a position to play BCS spoiler for the Big12 by knocking off the north division winner and WVU is the next in line *if* they win out. Texas could also play spoiler if OU falters on Saturday. The talking heads know that it is not a long shot for the big12 south winner to prevail and they think WVU should win out.

illinisooner
11/21/2007, 04:37 PM
They're exciting to watch, c'mon, who doesn't love the option?

soonerspudman
11/21/2007, 08:50 PM
They are in fact a pretty exciting team, but I just can't stand all the Disney Machine talking heads choking each other's chickens under the desk at the thought of WV in the big game. In fact, I have a theory that those guys get paid based on ratings, and they all know that Big East = Big Markets = Big Paydays. Therefore, let the merciless pimping rage on. It's understandable from a business standpoint (it ain't about Mickey, it's about the green) but it sucks for anyone looking for objective coverage because it ain't gonna happen...

Mile High Sooner
11/22/2007, 12:36 AM
But can they do it w/o their star QB? I think probably not.

soonerboomer93
11/22/2007, 01:16 AM
Um, White was injured during a game...

Leroy Lizard
11/22/2007, 12:49 PM
I can stomach a West Virginia national title more than any other possibility this year. Go Mountaineers!!

Fiatil
11/22/2007, 02:25 PM
Um, White was injured during a game...

Guess which game he was injured in? It was against some team from central Florida. After that game everyone got all hyped up about said team, then they choked into obscurity.

arlington
11/22/2007, 06:18 PM
Completely agree. Having to watch WVU or another undeserving team like Ohio State in the title game is what almost makes me want to root for the B12 North winner against us(Cant do but tempting!) in the B12 title game. If we are not in it, i dont want to watch a team who hasnt beaten 1 opponent that doesnt have at least 3 losses now, play in the title game. The Big east sux this year. Arizona State is more deserving than either WVU or OSU. We would throttle WVU. They dont pass well enough to exploit us , there D sux and they only have about 3 players to worry about.Only in the slow *** Big East can they get away with that.

soonermeteor
11/22/2007, 07:14 PM
I don't know if I've been all that impressed, but they've won one more game than us. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping they get in there against ASU or someone else besides LoSUr.

OU_Sooners75
11/22/2007, 07:17 PM
I can't contain this ANY longer.
What the HELL is the media/fan obsession with West Virginia and the National Championship?!?!?!!?
These over inflated one dimensional guys who play a powder puff schedule are always thrown int the national title hunt and every year they lose to teams that would never win the Big 12 or any other major conference.

Whats the deal?!?! Their claim to fame is beating Georgia that ONE YEAR unexpectedly in a BCS a game. Aside from that, they do not impress me at all.
So what if they have a good QB and RB. Lots of schools do. Someone please help me understand this WV obsession. They are as overrated as SUC, Texass, Wisconsin, and a few SEC teams if you ask me. The killer part is..I honestly don't believe they could even beat those teams. WVU is a top 25 team, but not top 10.

Calm down, Connecticut will silence the mountaineers lovefest.

Rogue
11/22/2007, 09:47 PM
They're fun to watch, sort of a perennial underdog because they're WVU, and I sort of root for them against most of their conference opponents.

tulsaoilerfan
11/22/2007, 10:00 PM
How many of u realize Bobby Bowden was the coach there at one time?

Rogue
11/22/2007, 10:02 PM
How many of u realize Bobby Bowden was the coach there at one time?

Pretty common knowledge isn't it? Mrs. Bobby Bowden tells a story about once a year about how bad they were to the Bowdens.

AzianSooner
11/22/2007, 11:06 PM
WET VARGINA?

I'm a fan of that too.

BIG_IKE
11/26/2007, 11:23 AM
WOW...I got negged to hell and back because I not a West Virginia groupie? Ooooh that'll teach me.

soonersweetie
11/29/2007, 04:00 PM
WOW...I got negged to hell and back because I not a West Virginia groupie? Ooooh that'll teach me.

same here, go figure. Of course the comments that were left for me were more based on the fact that supposedly "women don't know football" :rolleyes:

My response to that would be "Consider the source", of course it would help if he/she had actually left their name.

That being said, after watching them play last Saturday, I was more impressed with them that day than when I had watched them previously. Of course they also played Uconn.