PDA

View Full Version : I don't think what Saban said is wrong in any way

usmc-sooner
11/20/2007, 06:07 PM
why is that news worthy? or is it just espn.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2007, 06:16 PM
just trying to find something to fill a spot in the 24 hour sports news world....I dont see a big deal

OUster
11/20/2007, 06:17 PM
Amen. There is enough real news going on to not waste time with what dumb people misinterpret.

TheUnnamedSooner
11/20/2007, 06:19 PM
did i miss something? what was said?

sooner59
11/20/2007, 06:37 PM
We was talking about his team's loss to LA Monroe and how bad it was. He said something about Pearl Harbor and 9/11 and how people banded together after travesties. I don't think he meant to compare losing a football game to those events, but of course ESPN made it look like he did. He just meant that in the college football world, that was a tragedy, and his team needs to band together. I don't see anything wrong with what he said, but he could have found a better way to say it. He should know that is just putting something out there for the media to jump on. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the guy, but he probably didn't mean it like that.

Harry Beanbag
11/20/2007, 06:40 PM
I think his comments were idiotic at best. Sure he probably didn't mean to compare the loss to 9/11 or Pearl Harbor, but it came out that way. After hearing the actual quote, I'm not sure he's bright enough to really know what point he was trying to make in the first place.

TXBOOMER
11/20/2007, 06:43 PM
I think his comments were idiotic at best. Sure he probably didn't mean to compare the loss to 9/11 or Pearl Harbor, but it came out that way. After hearing the actual quote, I'm not sure he's bright enough to really know what point he was trying to make in the first place.

There is no doubt, he is not real smart. I think he may even be a stupid bas
tard!

BudSooner
11/20/2007, 07:02 PM
Hell I thought he was speaking for Les Miles on the meatchicken job opening.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/20/2007, 07:19 PM
Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!?!? NO!!!!

Germans?

Forget it, he's rolling.

When the goin' get's tough....

The tough get going!!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Pythagoras17.jpg

-Nick "Bluto" Saban

batonrougesooner
11/20/2007, 07:38 PM
So he's saying Louisiana-Monroe is somehow responsible for 9/11 and Pearl Harbor?

I really doubt they had anything do with those events.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2007, 07:41 PM
The Oprahfication of the country continues on

Stitch Face
11/20/2007, 07:41 PM
College coaches aren't the best at coming up with analogies for their losses.[hairGel]

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2007, 08:23 PM
Hyperbole is a perfectly useful figurative device as long as the intent is clear. What's the big deal?

I think his comments were idiotic at best. Sure he probably didn't mean to compare the loss to 9/11 or Pearl Harbor, but it came out that way.

Only an idiot truly thinks that Saban considers the loss of a football game to 9-11.

Coaches rarely talk from prepared speeches, so we should extend them a little flexibility.

I think coaches should call a nationwide boycott of all press conferences until sportswriters (and the public) learn some comprehension skills. Wouldn't that be awesome?

jps
11/20/2007, 09:04 PM
I am so tired of the language police everywhere who go out of their way to look for stuff to be offended about. I think it should have to be pretty overtly offensive like the Imus situation or leave it alone. All these reporters grasping at straws knowing full well someone will get upset. If you don't know by now, no matter what you do, someone isn't going to like it. Just the way it is.

douxpaysan
11/20/2007, 09:14 PM
So he's saying Louisiana-Monroe is somehow responsible for 9/11 and Pearl Harbor?

I really doubt they had anything do with those events.
Correct me if I am wrong...but isn't Munroe, Louisiana approximately half way from Germany to Pearl? Refueling stop...BRILLIANT

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2007, 10:11 PM
Correct me if I am wrong...but isn't Munroe, Louisiana approximately half way from Germany to Pearl? Refueling stop...BRILLIANT

Dude, you're thinking of London. For Louisiana to be halfway from Germany to Pearl Harbor, then Pearl Harbor would have to located in the Pacific Ocean somewhere. Now how silly is that?

badger
11/20/2007, 10:17 PM
let's all be offended together so that when the day comes when we are actually offended, we already are :D

oh, and Nick Saban should return part of his hefty paycheck everytime he embarrasses Alabama with loses to stupid awful programs.

bluedogok
11/20/2007, 10:31 PM
The media no longer reports the news, they are the info-tainment industry now. They feel they have to create the news and present it as entertainment.

Harry Beanbag
11/21/2007, 07:22 AM
Hyperbole is a perfectly useful figurative device as long as the intent is clear. What's the big deal?

That's the problem, the intent wasn't clear at all. He even realized in the middle of the comment that he wasn't making any sense. You can tell by his brilliant use of "sort of" and "or whatever". :rolleyes:

Changes in history usually occur after some kind of catastrophic event. It may be 9-11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to catastrophic events. Pearl Harbor kind of got us ready for World War II, or whatever, and that was a catastrophic event.

Only an idiot truly thinks that Saban considers the loss of a football game to 9-11.

And why would that be? Football gets compared to war all the time. Hell, I just heard AD say something about it the other day.

Coaches rarely talk from prepared speeches, so we should extend them a little flexibility.

Really? This gem was in Saban's opening remarks, he apparently intended to make this comment.

I think coaches should call a nationwide boycott of all press conferences until sportswriters (and the public) learn some comprehension skills. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Normally I would agree with you, but Ol' Nick stuck his foot in his mouth on this one. It didn't offend me, I don't get offended, I just think it was stupid.

landrun
11/21/2007, 08:16 AM
Gusys. He's coaching at Alabama.

To them, this is like Pearl Harbor. :D

MamaMia
11/21/2007, 08:39 AM
His comments were asinine. Apparently, you can take the coach out of LSU, but you cant take the LSU out of the coach.

fadada1
11/21/2007, 08:53 AM
who cares.

i feel for coaches these days (and i have an interest of getting into/continuing coaching college athletes - done some already). heaven forbit a coach is allowed to speak his mind without being clobbered by some asshat with a laptop at a press conference. and heaven forbit we offend someone. that's part/most of the problem... people take themselves too seriously and we're promoting the pussification of america.

XingTheRubicon
11/21/2007, 09:45 AM
The alternative is the Gary Gibbs approach.

"Coach, another tough loss to Texas, what are your thoughts?"

"Well, it's not a conference game, and that's what we focus on."

Leroy Lizard
11/21/2007, 06:47 PM
That's the problem, the intent wasn't clear at all.

Then we give him the benefit of the doubt, right?

I don't know Nick Saban, but I am sure he knows that 9-11 was a far more serious crisis than losing to LA-Monroe. So who cares what he actually says?

I cannot believe we are reduced to worrying about whether or not a coach's comments comparing 9-11 to a lost game reflect his true feelings. I, for one, don't give a lick about Coach Saban's views on the meaning of conflict.

This thread reminds me of a bunch of gossipers hanging out by a fence.

"Did you hear what Muriel said about Alice?"

"No. Tell me more. Tell me more!"

"Well, she said that Alice thinks that her next door neighbor is good looking, and the other day both were away from their home AT THE SAME TIME."

"You dare say! I wonder what they could be doing together! One can only imagine."

Leroy Lizard
11/21/2007, 06:48 PM
By the way, if Stoops had made these comments everyone in here would be falling all over themselves defending him.

Harry Beanbag
11/21/2007, 10:24 PM
I cannot believe we are reduced to worrying about whether or not a coach's comments comparing 9-11 to a lost game reflect his true feelings. I, for one, don't give a lick about Coach Saban's views on the meaning of conflict.

I think you're misunderstanding my point. I don't care either, but what he said is still stupid.

Harry Beanbag
11/21/2007, 10:26 PM
By the way, if Stoops had made these comments everyone in here would be falling all over themselves defending him.

I would be embarrassed, but obviously I'm in the minority so whatever.

ashley
11/22/2007, 10:32 AM
Just football talk for heavens sake.