PDA

View Full Version : I Think and Hope Malcolm Kelly Returns For His Senior Year

SoonerFan80
11/20/2007, 03:56 PM
I realize I may be kidding myself, and it may just be the OU fan in me, but I honestly think Malcolm Kelly should return for his senior year.

Kelly started the 2007 season as arguably the best WR in the country. But IMO, he has slowly declined in production. He's dropping too many passes that hit him in the hands.

Whether he goes pro this year or next, he's going to be a very high draft choice, but I just think that if he returns for his senior year and works on his game, he will only improve his draft status.

What do you guys think?

TXBOOMER
11/20/2007, 04:07 PM
I don't think he will come back. I do believe he will go late first or early second round. His production has declined because they don't throw it to him as much which further adds to a reason not to come back. He has dropped a few but he has great hands and catches a lot more that he shouldn't catch, than drops that he should catch. Just MHO! Boomer!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/20/2007, 04:26 PM
I think Kelly is almost certain to go based on what I've heard and read. I've pretty much mentally moved him to senior before the season began.

I think the chances are good that he is the only one that leaves early which if true means we have a huge amount of talent coming back. I think the team is a second good pass rushing DE opposite English from being an all around great team.

astro5169
11/20/2007, 04:38 PM
Reggie is gone tooo....

astro5169
11/20/2007, 04:39 PM
Gute and AP AS WELL

Ardmore_Sooner
11/20/2007, 04:52 PM
What does Reggie have to gain by going pro early?

soonersn20xx
11/20/2007, 04:56 PM
What does Reggie have to gain by going pro early?
Agreed, hopefully some scouts put the word out that it would be a big mistake.

Clever Trevor
11/20/2007, 04:57 PM
I believe it was Billy Bob that said, "You can wish in one hand and **** in the other- and see which one fills up first".

I have seen Kelly get hung out a few too many times this year. Every time I saw it, I said to myself, he won't be back. If he's back next year, I will replace my beautimous mug with that of Mark May.

TXBOOMER
11/20/2007, 06:00 PM
Rivals top 100 has Kelly as the # 13 player and Reggie Smith as the # 20 player for the next draft. They are both gone. You can't pass up first round draft money to stay in college.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=719772

OU_Sooners75
11/20/2007, 06:14 PM
Rivals top 100 has Kelly as the # 13 player and Reggie Smith as the # 20 player for the next draft. They are both gone. You can't pass up first round draft money to stay in college.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=719772

Didnt the NFLPA and NFL come to agreement that there is now a draft salary cap?

Mainly effecting the 1st round????

TXBOOMER
11/20/2007, 06:25 PM
Didnt the NFLPA and NFL come to agreement that there is now a draft salary cap?

Mainly effecting the 1st round????

1st round picks get the big up front signing bonuses. If either of them come back and blow out a knee they will have cost themselves millions of dollars. I don't see anyway either of them come back based on the Rivals data.

INGRAM1
11/20/2007, 06:29 PM
I think that they will both stay. Both have shown that they can be dominating but both have also shown that they could use a little more polishing. If they both stay and get better, which they well, they both could go in the top 10 in the following draft class which means more money to them. Just my opinion.

southern sooner
11/20/2007, 07:22 PM
#1. Malcom is greatness and I hope he returns, however; his production hasnt only dropped due to the lack of touches, it has also dropped due to his dropped balls... that is a fact, last year he caught everything, circus like stuff, this year not so much.

#2. No way Reggie goes pro this year, our secondary has become way to much of an empasize in a neg way, he will come back to prove something.

Curly Bill
11/20/2007, 08:29 PM
Anyone who thinks MK will be back next year is indeed kidding themselves. Reggie...maybe....?

The NFL folks won't be worried too much about MK's declining production, they just know that he's 6'4" runs a 4.5, can leap, has great hands, and well.. they'll get him polished up just fine. They care less about stats and lots about potential.

rubyspirit
11/20/2007, 10:58 PM
Malcolm Kelly has been getting some **** balls thrown at him. I would run as far away from OU football and I could when the season is over.

All the best to him.

southern sooner
11/20/2007, 11:03 PM
Malcolm Kelly has been getting some **** balls thrown at him. I would run as far away from OU football and I could when the season is over.

All the best to him.

not sure what you mean by ****balls.... If you look at the passes he had tossed to him last year (beind the back, over the head and at the knees) this year they are hitting him in the hands.... Sammy is putting most balls on the mark, maybe you should go back and watch the game prior to speaking...

southern sooner
11/20/2007, 11:04 PM
not sure what you mean by ****balls.... If you look at the passes he had tossed to him last year (beind the back, over the head and at the knees) this year they are hitting him in the hands.... Sammy is putting most balls on the mark, maybe you should go back and watch the game prior to speaking... or maybe buy a clue!!!!!!

Widescreen
11/20/2007, 11:06 PM

All the best to him.
I'd love to throw some **** balls at you right about now.

goingoneight
11/20/2007, 11:10 PM
Kelly is in the same boat as AD was... he's looking at first round money. His "drop-off" hasn't been carelessness and it's not a lack of talent... if you watch any film at all, you'll notice he played ****ty teams to start the year off, owned them... and now draws double coverage every game. Hence the increase in Iglesias's touches as well as the tight end use everyone bitched about for years, now we have it.

It works like this... we didn't have a strong presence in the deep passing game when Mark Clayton and Brandon Jones left, therefore, it was zone coverage, take what you can get. Malcom comes of age and all we need is a solid #2 wideout and then all of a sudden everyone has a chance to be open from time to time.

Reggie Smith's cover skills don't necessarily need work, he just needs to stay with the play until the whistle blows. If I were him, I'd go ahead and go. He'll get really good NFL bank, but not top-notch, AD-caliber bank early-on... with a chance to score major bank if he plays well and stays injury-free. Basically, it's getting on the job early for him. If he stays here, he risks injury and doesn't make anymore than whatever he can make working for a restaurant kind of wage. Big risk not worth taking.

IMHO, Kelly's gone, Reggie's 70/30 favoring gone, and Lofton will draw attention over the next few weeks form scouts, but surprises us by staying ala RUUUUUUUUUU.

Crucifax Autumn
11/21/2007, 02:44 AM
I hope they both stay, but I fear they will both take the money.

soonerhubs
11/21/2007, 09:13 AM
I seem to remember a Malcolm Kelly catch against Baylor that was quite circus-like. It actually reminded me of a Randy Moss catch from the week before as they both looked dang near impossible to catch.

cheezyq
11/21/2007, 10:27 AM
#1. Malcom is greatness and I hope he returns, however; his production hasnt only dropped due to the lack of touches, it has also dropped due to his dropped balls... that is a fact, last year he caught everything, circus like stuff, this year not so much.

Just speaking from my limited experience as a former WR, this (circus-like stuff) could be a part of his problem. Don't get me wrong, I love watching the one-handers and cool stuff like that. But now-a-days when he goes up to get the ball with both hands, it seems like his hands are too far apart.

Go back and watch his technique in the CCG v. Nebraska last year, and his technique in the last few games this year. There's a slight difference in how he places his hands. Maybe he's trying to get too cute with it? I don't know. But this is the one thing I've noticed about him. And it's not happening all the time, either. It's like he loses concentration or something.

And before everyone goes all ballistic, I'm not saying I'm an expert and that I KNOW this is his problem. I'm just saying that it's something I noticed on a few of his dropped passes, only because I used to play the position.

TXBOOMER
11/21/2007, 08:36 PM
There were people that actually believed AD would return after last year. When these guys come in and ask Bob what he thinks, he is going to tell them to go, especially if they are projected first rounders. Our guys going to the league helps recruiting more than anything. I wish these guys the best and I hope MK is around for the Dallas pick they got from Cleveland.

tulsaoilerfan
11/21/2007, 09:46 PM
A player would be a fool to come back to school if he is looking at first round $

redpurple
11/21/2007, 09:54 PM
so how many starters are we returning and which ones are for sure gone?

MalcolmRaps4
5/17/2011, 06:53 PM
This is very random, I know. And I haven't posted in a real long time, I know. But, since around the BCS Championship game I have been working on a podcast. I have been wanting to tell you guys about it for a while but due to my status as a lurker I didnt want to come off as a spammer.

But, today, I did a 30-Minute interview with former Sooner Reggie Smith. I think Sooners fans would enjoy it. I posted it in here because we talked a lot about Malcolm Kelly, this time in Sooners history, and a lot about the Boise St game.

If you want to check it out: http://www.sports-casters.com

Other OU stuff is all over our site. We often interview an analyst from Accuscore.com who is an OU grad and we always talk OU with him. His name is Zach Rosenfield.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it. Let me know, and if you like follow us @sports_casters

MalcolmRaps4
5/17/2011, 06:53 PM
Ohh, haha I guess I never posted. My bad.

cccasooner2
5/17/2011, 07:37 PM
.... But now-a-days when he goes up to get the ball with both hands, it seems like his hands are too far apart.

Were did this redux come from?

Advances in technology have since shown that a football is about 12 inches (30 centimetres) long and about 22 in (56 cm) in circumference at the center and the hands should be placed acccordingly.

MalcolmRaps4
5/18/2011, 12:49 AM
Not sure what that means, but I hope some of my fellow sooner fans enjoy the show.

Peach Fuzz
5/18/2011, 01:22 AM
http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/2347/raptorjesus.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/raptorjesus.jpg/)

JLEW1818
5/18/2011, 08:54 AM
This is very random, I know. And I haven't posted in a real long time, I know. But, since around the BCS Championship game I have been working on a podcast. I have been wanting to tell you guys about it for a while but due to my status as a lurker I didnt want to come off as a spammer.

But, today, I did a 30-Minute interview with former Sooner Reggie Smith. I think Sooners fans would enjoy it. I posted it in here because we talked a lot about Malcolm Kelly, this time in Sooners history, and a lot about the Boise St game.

If you want to check it out: http://www.sports-casters.com

Other OU stuff is all over our site. We often interview an analyst from Accuscore.com who is an OU grad and we always talk OU with him. His name is Zach Rosenfield.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it. Let me know, and if you like follow us @sports_casters

are you MK?

Mad Dog Madsen
5/18/2011, 09:44 AM
Ohh, haha I guess I never posted. My bad.

http://pollexworld.com/anudrake/animated%20gifs/samjackthread.gif

JLEW1818
5/18/2011, 09:44 AM
is he a snake catcher?

badger
5/18/2011, 10:10 AM
are you MK?

I bet he's one of these guys. (http://www.sports-casters.com/index.php?show=about)

As for MK... maybe he'll come back and get his degree? That's like a senior year I guess...

Mad Dog Madsen
5/18/2011, 04:59 PM
You're wrong as usual badj! :D

badger
5/18/2011, 05:57 PM
You're wrong as usual badj! :D

You're just saying that cuz I'm a girl. Stop being sexist, chicks can know the futbolls from the goal points to the point scores too.