PDA

View Full Version : To the recording industry...

OUDoc
11/20/2007, 09:35 AM
I try to teach my children right from wrong. I try to keep them from illegally downloading MP3's and encourage them to pay for their downloaded songs. But because of your stupid anti-piracy copyright protection, the songs we download are almost unusable anywhere but the computer.
I tried to burn some songs I bought online onto a disk. Through several burnings, all I had were unusable disks. I began to realize that my CD drive was crapping out, so I replaced it. When I attempted to re-burn those songs, I was told I'd used my limit of copies of those songs, despite the fact that I didn't yet have a single usable disk (fortunately, I eventually found a way around this problem).
Next, my kids want to transfer their songs to their cell phones. No go. The downloaded songs are in .wma and won't work on the cell phones. Any attempt to convert the songs runs into a "copy-protected" error.
All this trouble because I'm trying to do the right thing and make sure you guys get your royalties. My kids keep reminding me of all the places you can download the same song for nothing in MP3 format so you can transfer it right to the phone. You guys are making it harder for me to explain why they shouldn't do just that. :mad:

LilSooner
11/20/2007, 09:39 AM
Why don't you just buy the CD single instead and burn it.

If'n you want to be all legal and stuff.

C&CDean
11/20/2007, 09:44 AM
Buy the ****ing CD ya cheap bastard. Geez, it ain't like you're a pauper or anything.

OKLA21FAN
11/20/2007, 09:45 AM
my beef is that while I don't mind paying for new release Dloads, I do have a problem having to pay for MP3s of recording that I have previously purchased years ago on records, Cassettes, 8 tracks (yep, i had one once) and other mediums when the industry 'changed' the standard.

Bit Torrant is my friend. :pop:

(see ya in jail!!!)

yermom
11/20/2007, 10:22 AM
yeah, if i'm going to buy it, it's going to be on CD, generally. then i can make it whatever format i want, and i can make better quality mp3s if i want. plus i have the original if i lose the mp3 at some point. it's not like you can re-download crap you have bought

iTunes will let you download mp3s without DRM now though, that is really cool, since you can then make data CDs for the car, etc...

OUDoc
11/20/2007, 11:13 AM
iTunes will let you download mp3s without DRM now though, that is really cool, since you can then make data CDs for the car, etc...
I didn't know that. I'll keep that in mind.

Ike
11/20/2007, 12:05 PM
Next, my kids want to transfer their songs to their cell phones. No go. The downloaded songs are in .wma and won't work on the cell phones. Any attempt to convert the songs runs into a "copy-protected" error.

They've done this intentionally. The industry is of the opinion that you should have to pay for every copy of a song you own. So you should pay separately for the CD, the copy on the ipod, the copy on the computer and the copy on the cell phone.

If this sounds unreasonable, thats because, well, it is.

bluedogok
11/21/2007, 12:07 AM
They would like to move the market to a Pay-Per-Listen model.

I have had one CD that had copy protection that made it useless, I have only bought downloads from iTunes and had no problems recording to CD. I typically record it to a CD then re-rip it without any DRM. I haven't bought any since they went DRM-free, I still prefer having the CD.

soonerboomer93
11/21/2007, 02:39 AM
I have to buy most online since I can't exactly run to the local record store and pick US music up. Only some of the iTunes stuff is DRM free, but I think amazon was going all DRM free for their downloads.

11/21/2007, 05:51 AM
Just wait a couple of days. There'll be a freeware out there to fix it for you, Doc. Until then, prescribe yourself Valium.

;)

RacerX
11/21/2007, 07:57 AM
I try to teach my children right from wrong. I try to keep them from illegally downloading MP3's and encourage them to pay for their downloaded songs. But because of your stupid anti-piracy copyright protection, the songs we download are almost unusable anywhere but the computer.
I tried to burn some songs I bought online onto a disk. Through several burnings, all I had were unusable disks. I began to realize that my CD drive was crapping out, so I replaced it. When I attempted to re-burn those songs, I was told I'd used my limit of copies of those songs, despite the fact that I didn't yet have a single usable disk (fortunately, I eventually found a way around this problem).
All this trouble because I'm trying to do the right thing and make sure you guys get your royalties. My kids keep reminding me of all the places you can download the same song for nothing in MP3 format so you can transfer it right to the phone. You guys are making it harder for me to explain why they shouldn't do just that. :mad:

There are solutions to all those problems.

Veritas
11/21/2007, 08:55 AM
Replay Music:
http://www.replay-music.com/replay-music/index.php?src=GMUSIC_REPLAYMUSIC

Best $40 you'll ever spend.

MamaMia
11/21/2007, 09:10 AM
I buy all my CDs. I like the photos and artwork. Not that I've ever burned any music but judging by what I've listened to, it just sounds better.

sooner_born_1960
11/21/2007, 09:20 AM
yeah, if i'm going to buy it, ...
I thought that was funny.

yermom
11/21/2007, 09:45 AM
:D

i actually buy a fair amount of music, but i'm not above getting stuff that other people i know have ripped/downloaded

i don't download very much music at all

but if an artist really wants my money they should play within 200 miles of here :mad:

sooner_born_1960
11/21/2007, 10:14 AM
I hear you, yermom. Just pulling your chain a little. In the good old days, we would record each other's LP's onto cassette or copy cassette to cassette. I don't recall being accused of criminal behavior back then.