PDA

View Full Version : What were you doing....

SteelClip49
11/19/2007, 11:55 PM
on the evening of May 3, 1999 when the nightmare took place?

I was at home with my parents and sister, just going through the entire night staying awake and listening to sirens all through the morning. I was a freshman in HS and the next day class wasn't cancelled although we did go to the local news station and helped with loading up supplies for the people whose homes were destroyed.

yermom
11/20/2007, 12:16 AM
i was in bed

all the crazy crap happens when i'm asleep

GottaHavePride
11/20/2007, 12:20 AM
Evening? It was still light out. I was in Walker tower, watching the coverage on TV with the rest of the floor. We didn't go to the basement; stayed on 4 to watch.

olevetonahill
11/20/2007, 12:30 AM
Im like Yermom
I miss all the good stuff

critical_phil
11/20/2007, 12:30 AM
i spent the whole time in the freezer at the old albertson's on 104th/western.

management came over the intercom and said either go to the produce locker or leave the store. i started to leave, and saw the action about 1 1/2 mile due south of me.

my house was untouched. my buddy's house (about 1/3 mile south of me) was taken off its foundation.

soonerboomer93
11/20/2007, 01:16 AM
i was at home in houston

Cheerin' 4 OU
11/20/2007, 06:00 AM
I was hanging out at home for once because I was in the mood to skip classes at Rose State that night.

Of course, when the sirens went off on my side of town, I went to McDonalds to grab a Big Mac before going down to the cellar.

proud gonzo
11/20/2007, 09:02 AM
I was in Wichita. Saw the freaky green glow that afternoon and knew it'd be a bad night.

LilSooner
11/20/2007, 09:30 AM
I was out side with my grandparents like the good redneck that I am watching the whole damn thing pass about a 1/4 mile from our house.

My mom on the other hand was outside working on the garden and didn't even know there was a tornado.

My dad was freaked out because he lived in Georgetown and couldn't get ahold of me for about 3 days.

SoonerStormchaser
11/20/2007, 09:37 AM
I was in Ohio...at the end of my sophomore year of high school.

Mongo
11/20/2007, 09:49 AM
104th and Sante Fe on the lawn of my grandparents watching the whole thing

I thought me and my dad were gonna recreate the scene from Airplane when they smack around that hysterical woman. Mom was going nuts

Mjcpr
11/20/2007, 10:22 AM
I thought me and my dad were gonna recreate the scene from Airplane when they smack around that hysterical woman. Mom was going nuts

That seems like a dumb thing to do in the middle of a tornado, but to each his own I guess.

What did you all do during 9/11, the fart scene from Blazing Saddles?

BlondeSoonerGirl
11/20/2007, 10:27 AM
I was running back and forth from the TV to my front yard. It was coming straight for the house. Watched Val on Getner until the power went out.

It went back up about 1/8 from my front door. Scariest thing I've ever seen. It took days to get the yard cleaned up. Trash everywhere. Weird trash like zippers and socks and stuff. Insulation covered the house, the cars - everything.

Scare. Eee.

IB4OU2
11/20/2007, 10:31 AM
I was in Wichita. Saw the freaky green glow that afternoon and knew it'd be a bad night.

Was Toto scared too?

Howzit
11/20/2007, 10:42 AM
I was cycling around Lake Hefner training for a triathlon. I knew it was kinda windy, but I didn't have any idea what was going on.

When I was done I was going to put up the bike and go for a run. I got to the car and saw I had about 10 missed calls from home. I call home and the Mrs says, "Do you have any idea what's going on?"

I says, "Well, it is a little windy..."

She says, ":les: GET YOUR *** HOME!!!"

I was chcuckling to myself about how teh wimmins always overreact until I turned on the radio and heard everything going down.

Mongo
11/20/2007, 11:26 AM
That seems like a dumb thing to do in the middle of a tornado, but to each his own I guess.

What did you all do during 9/11, the fart scene from Blazing Saddles?

I guess you had to be there to see the behavior

and I dont like your tone Susan, I'll smack you around too

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/20/2007, 12:41 PM
I drove to my parents' house in Eastlake (119th & Western) in a torrential downpour about 20 minutes before the F5 hit.

When the 'lectricity went out I got in the hall closet with my mom and my geriatric dog. I had my eyes closed the whole time so when I opened them I didn't know if we would have a roof.

Thankfully, they just had a lot of wind damage, but there were a lot of houses that had to be rebuilt right around us.

After the tornado passed, I walked up to Western to see all the mass chaos. The apartments on the east side of Western, the Eastlake Addition on the west side of Western and a big portion of Westmoore High School were all jumbled in the middle of the street with dead horses and upside down cars.

The next day, we cleaned up the yard as the gawkers passed. Later that day we cleaned out the freezer and grilled a bunch of steaks and chicken that had been in it for the National Guard who was patrolling the hood.

Ike
11/20/2007, 12:45 PM
It was 2 days before my college graduation, and the day before our conference tournament. Me and a couple of buddies went to see if we could get a better look.

It's probably a good thing that we never did very close to any of them. That wasn't the brightest thing we ever did.

Mongo
11/20/2007, 12:57 PM
...Westmoore High School were all jumbled in the middle of the street with dead horses and upside down cars.

my friend's tahoe was crushed by one of those horses in the Westmoore parking lot.

I couldnt help to laugh