PDA

View Full Version : Needed: gift ideas for hunter/fisherman

Chuck Bao
11/19/2007, 06:22 PM
I need to order something over the internet to make delivery by Christmas.

My price range is around $1,000, but it could be a little bit more.

Of course, I can't order a gun or something like that over the internet.

This springs to mind.

http://www.browning-archery.com/dimg/thm_134/9a5680a9be11def5a9c5ab076adff5ca.jpg

How good are Browning compound bows? It does look cool and I like that idea. He could always pass the bow to his son. I'm just wondering if technology will continue to advance and a high-tech bow in 2007 wouldn't be worth much 10 years from now.

Also, wouldn't deer bow hunting be already over in Oklahoma after December?

Anyone have other suggestions?

Is it possible to put together a package trip to hunt bigger game after December and stay within budget?

Pay for the release of wild turkeys on my family's ranch?

White tail deer and wild pigs we already have. Any other wild game for release would be legal and potential game?

How about some high-tech sonar thing for fishing?

High quality hunting knives? Throwing knives? Alibis?

I'm running out of ideas.

olevetonahill
11/19/2007, 06:24 PM
You can order a Gun . you just have to have it shipped to an FFL holder .

Rogue
11/19/2007, 06:25 PM
You can buy a gun over the internet and $1k will buy a goodern. Have an "accomplice" work with a local gun dealer with an FFL license pick it up, sign for it, etc.

Check your peem.

Rogue
11/19/2007, 06:28 PM
Oh, you can google "caldwell lead sled." That's on this hunter's list.

OklaPony
11/19/2007, 06:45 PM
What type of fishing does the prospective gift receiver do and where?

Vaevictis
11/19/2007, 06:46 PM
This is much much less than your budget, but, I've been eying this a little bit:

http://leatherman.com/products/knives/steens/default.asp

If you're willing to consider a good tool, and not just a proper hunting knife... I can definitely recommend the Leatherman k503x pocket knife, especially with the bit kit accessory -- I carry this all the time now, in addition to my multitool.

Chuck Bao
11/19/2007, 06:47 PM
What type of fishing does the prospective gift receiver do and where?

Mostly around our home near Lake Texoma.

OklaPony
11/19/2007, 07:09 PM
Mostly around our home near Lake Texoma.
On the big lake trolling for stripers or on farm ponds casting for bass? Any flyfishing? Nothing's more bitchin' than catching a nice size sandy/black/spotted/hybrid/striper bass on a fly rod.

yermom
11/19/2007, 07:24 PM
well under that range (~$400), i'd go for one of these:

http://www.chrisreeve.com/sebenza.htm

not really a hunting knife, but they could carry it every day

Harry Beanbag
11/19/2007, 07:35 PM
One of these might come in handy.

http://www.bumperdumper.com/art/road8.jpg

The Ghost of Joe Morrison
11/20/2007, 02:31 PM
Know why chicks dig hunters????

'Cause hunters go deep into the bush, fire multiple times, & normally eat what they shoot!:D

Widescreen
11/20/2007, 02:49 PM
I'm :stunned:

fadada1
11/20/2007, 03:07 PM
might i make a suggestion for the hillbilly fisherman:

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6936/dynamitexd6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Widescreen
11/20/2007, 03:20 PM
I got 2 of these for my kids. They work really well.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31FIpcBh30L._SS400_.jpg

IB4OU2
11/20/2007, 03:45 PM
I need to order something over the internet to make delivery by Christmas.

My price range is around $1,000, but it could be a little bit more.

Of course, I can't order a gun or something like that over the internet.

This springs to mind.

http://www.browning-archery.com/dimg/thm_134/9a5680a9be11def5a9c5ab076adff5ca.jpg

How good are Browning compound bows? It does look cool and I like that idea. He could always pass the bow to his son. I'm just wondering if technology will continue to advance and a high-tech bow in 2007 wouldn't be worth much 10 years from now.

Also, wouldn't deer bow hunting be already over in Oklahoma after December?

Anyone have other suggestions?

Is it possible to put together a package trip to hunt bigger game after December and stay within budget?

Pay for the release of wild turkeys on my family's ranch?

White tail deer and wild pigs we already have. Any other wild game for release would be legal and potential game?

How about some high-tech sonar thing for fishing?

High quality hunting knives? Throwing knives? Alibis?

I'm running out of ideas.

Optics are always a really nice gift, like a nice pair of Binoculars, scope or range finder. If you are buying for an avid hunter and can access a FFL liscensed person whom can order a firearm I would go with the Thompson Center Encore where in the future your gift reciever could purchase different barrels and hunt game in different situations just by changing out the barrel.

Chuck Bao
11/20/2007, 04:24 PM
Optics are always a really nice gift, like a nice pair of Binoculars, scope or range finder. If you are buying for an avid hunter and can access a FFL liscensed person whom can order a firearm I would go with the Thompson Center Encore where in the future your gift reciever could purchase different barrels and hunt game in different situations just by changing out the barrel.

Great suggestion. I hadn't thought of optics. And, he can take the binoculars to see the Sooners play. Anyone have any brand preferences?

I'm not purchasing guns because he already has many of almost every kind and far outside my budget range. My brother got all of my dad's collection and my mom is trying to sell, not buy.

The best gift would most certainly be a RUF/NEKS shotgun. The drawing is this weekend, right?

IB4OU2
11/20/2007, 06:15 PM
Great suggestion. I hadn't thought of optics. And, he can take the binoculars to see the Sooners play. Anyone have any brand preferences?

I'm not purchasing guns because he already has many of almost every kind and far outside my budget range. My brother got all of my dad's collection and my mom is trying to sell, not buy.

The best gift would most certainly be a RUF/NEKS shotgun. The drawing is this weekend, right?

Lower price- Nikon $300-500, Upper price- Saworski- $600-1,000

Price does make a difference in the quality of the optic.

badger
11/20/2007, 08:32 PM
gift card to Bass Pro. that way, they'll get something they love and there is no risk of getting something they can't use or don't want :D

soonerboomer93
11/20/2007, 09:02 PM
gps could be handy (portable one that can be used in the vehicle/boat/and hand held)

Curly Bill
11/20/2007, 09:09 PM

Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Steiner...these are some of the more expensive, but worth the money.

Cheaper: Burris, Nikon, ???

Hamhock
11/21/2007, 09:32 AM
i think it's awesome that you want to get him a gift he'll actually like.

honestly, it is hard to buy a gift for a sportsman unless you know him really well.

is he already a bowhunter? if not, he may choose not too. it takes a whole lot of time/energy to bowhunt. less than 10% of bowhunters harvest a deer each year. If he is already a bowhunter, he may have a brand allegiance.

a good fail safe, if he doesn't already have one, is a GPS. i'd get the Hunt C. they are made right here in tulsa and are a quality product. since you have the funds, buy one of the most expensive ones. like anything else, the technology fades fast.

if you don't know much about what kind of hunting/fishing he likes, the BassPro gift card idea is a great one. if i got a $1,000 gift card to bass pro, i'd be a very happy little boy.

i also don't like the gun idea because people's tastes/needs are so different. you probably don't have any idea if he'd rather have a tactical H&K or a varmint gun or a collector's shotgun. ( i will concede that there is no such thing as a bad gun when it's a gift).

bottom line, if you give him the gift card, he'll get exactly what he wants and think of you every time he uses it.