PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts

JaminT
11/19/2007, 02:33 PM
Kevin Wilson,

I remember the TCU game, when you called a nice little fly pattern to open up the game. Thompson drops back, misses badly, and effectively ruins the young man's self confidence for the rest of the game. It's nice to see we learned from our mistakes. Halzle's first pass play....fly pattern, misses badly, and effectively ruins the young man's self confidence for the rest of the game.

Cale Gundy,

There is one player on OU's roster who is an absolute game changer, and he doesn't start. Murray is the best homerun threat we have, and he doesn't start.

Mr. Stoops,

Why did we play Nichol the first game of the year? Why did we burn his redshirt playing north tejas? I assumed it was for a situation like this one, but was obviously mistaken. When your lead horse goes down, and you've already burnt the red shirt opportunity, why don't we give him a chance.

Defense

Our defense really didn't do that bad, considering our zone allows for 10 yard passes in the middle of the field. Why did Reynolds get in the game against tech. I thought it was rather obvious that Reynolds is an above average run stuffer, and a below average coverage guy. Why would we have him out there instead of someone who specializes in pass coverage.

To those of you who criticize criticism,

We as fans are permitted to post our observations on this board. If every one of us were sunshine pumpers, I don't think this place would be what it is. Fact is, this team has some weaknesses, and there are many posters here who have attempted to discuss these weaknesses, only to get it shoved in their face.

KHS Sooner
11/19/2007, 02:35 PM
I agree.

PhiDeltBeers
11/19/2007, 02:46 PM
+1 ^^^^^

usmc-sooner
11/19/2007, 02:46 PM
Kevin Wilson,

I remember the TCU game, when you called a nice little fly pattern to open up the game. Thompson drops back, misses badly, and effectively ruins the young man's self confidence for the rest of the game. It's nice to see we learned from our mistakes. Halzle's first pass play....fly pattern, misses badly, and effectively ruins the young man's self confidence for the rest of the game.

Kevin Wilson wasn't the OC for that game.

PhiDeltBeers
11/19/2007, 02:48 PM
When we gave up 450+ yards to Baylor, I knew we were in for a long night against TT and so did everybody else in the Donor section.

The_Red_Patriot
11/19/2007, 02:53 PM
What makes everyone think Nichol would have come in and done any better than Joey??? Everyone is acting like this kid is the second coming.

Kind of reminds me of someone else...cough:Rawls:cough:Bomar:cough

I wonder if the reason Nichol didn't get any playing time was because he already informed the coaches he will transfer at the end of the season?

Im not saying he will transfer or not. I dont know but I keep hearing rumors.

JaminT
11/19/2007, 03:12 PM
So TRP,

My complaint with the qb choice revolves around Joey's play the first 4 series.

I also should mention that I wanted to see Murray line up at qb, like we've seen before this season. That would have made sense to me as well. I'm not saying Joey shouldn't have got a shot, I'm saying that he looked about as prepared to play qb as I would of, and thats less than good.

I'm not a confidant of Stoops, so I don't get the rumors like some, so I'm not privey to this transfer mumbo jumbo. But if the guy wants to transfer, and had the balls to tell stoops and co, sounds like he may have some cojones. And nothing will cure the transfer bug like giving the guy an opportunity to play when his team needs him.

and to USMC, damn if you're not 100 percent correct. Long was the OC, and Wilson had nothing to do with shattering that qb's confidence.

Theskipster
11/19/2007, 03:12 PM
Why does everyone keep saying that Halzle stunk it up and that Nichol would have likely been better?

It may have taken Halzle a little while to get comfortable, but once he did, he didn't do that poorly. He was 21-41 (51% completion) - 291 yards - 2 touchdowns -1 interception. He wasn't Jason White or Sam Bradford, but he was also the backup quarterback. Obviously the fly pattern he missed didn't kill his confidence.

I'll take that from my backup quarterback's first real game time start any day. So would any other team.

Putting a true freshman in that super pressure situation would more likely mean 4 interceptions than a some incredible comeback performance.

There are things to criticize, but the decision to play Halzle over Nichol is not one of them. Even with partial hindsight on your side.

And concerning you comments about criticism, most of the criticism that I see rejected here are unfounded and uneducated. That is why it is thrown back in people's face, not just because it is criticism.

PhiDeltBeers
11/19/2007, 03:15 PM
Should've redshirted the kid (Keith). We can't red shirt him next year. Not saying he would've done a better job than Joey either, although he (Joey looked pretty bad till the 4th quarter or so). Bradford has spoiled us.

Theskipster
11/19/2007, 03:16 PM
I wonder if the reason Nichol didn't get any playing time was because he already informed the coaches he will transfer at the end of the season?

Im not saying he will transfer or not. I dont know but I keep hearing rumors.

These rumors are unfounded and only based on people's fears and a semi plausible scenario. Don't let that influence your thinking or you will be wrong more than you are right.

Read this from the Tulsa World

----------------------------------------------------------
Did coaches consider trying true freshman Keith Nichol while Halzle struggled?

"Oh, to some degree," Stoops said Sunday. "But in the end, we just felt Joey, as far as the game plan, mentally, was further along in preparation. We just felt he was the right guy at the time."

"The way the game had fallen and with those guys getting a lead on us, we felt we were going to have to throw," Wilson said. "Joey's probably got a little more practice with some of the pass game. . . Joey having been here longer is a little bit more comfortable with some of the progressions we need to do."

Nichol is 2-of-7 for 15 yards late in three games. Halzle came in 7-of-8 for 133 yards in six fourth-quarter showings before going 21-of-41 at Tech.

JaminT
11/19/2007, 03:18 PM
I think the stats are misleading for any number of reasons

You know the look bradford had after the concussion

Halzle had the same look from the first snap on

You can't honestly sit here and claim you're satisfied with what you saw, can you?

I'm merely pointing out that my perceived consequence of burning a redshirt was a miscalculation, and once i realized that it wouldn't of cost us anything to try him out, I was disappointed.

Scott D
11/19/2007, 03:24 PM
I think the stats are misleading for any number of reasons

Halzle had the same look from the first snap on

You can't honestly sit here and claim you're satisfied with what you saw, can you?

I'm merely pointing out that my perceived consequence of burning a redshirt was a miscalculation, and once i realized that it wouldn't of cost us anything to try him out, I was disappointed.

forget the fact that there were between 8 and 10 passes that were catchable that weren't caught by the receivers. That'd be too easy.

oh, and I can honestly sit here and claim that the horse comes before the cart, unless the cart is owned by an aggie.

MiccoMacey
11/19/2007, 03:26 PM
I think the stats are misleading for any number of reasons...

They go hand in hand. Halzle's stats for the game were misleading. I wasn't impressed with his stats or play for the first half. I was pleased with his stats and moreso his play in the second half.

BTW, my four year old daughter likes to type on these message boards. Bear with me please. It'll probably be more intelligent than anything I said anyway.

rrrr44444444444444444442sagggggghhhhhhytewxxxxxxss sssssssssssssssxxeddsazws4444wxj

And now my two-year old daughter:

u9ollkkkuuuuyyyyyyyy66600000pppp[lllllllllll lkkkkoo9998764wazz;pppppoo

JaminT
11/19/2007, 03:35 PM
YOU'RE DAUGHTERS A FOOL :)

I agree with the two year old, but that four year old has a lot to learn!

Theskipster
11/19/2007, 03:35 PM
Am I satisfied with seeing us lose? No.

But do I think that the coaches chose the QB that gave us the best chance to win the game? Yes.

If you want to complain about something, try complaining about not running the ball down their throats when we kept gashing them for 7 yards most of the time when we did run it. Complain that our D-line gave a Harrell the exact thing he needs for that system: Time to see the field. Complain about how soft we played the tech receivers for the first half when our main pressure guy was out.

JaminT
11/19/2007, 03:36 PM
Dropped passes?

I don't remember to many dropped passes near as much as I remember passes that were no where near, NO WHERE NEAR a receiver.

JaminT
11/19/2007, 03:38 PM
Skip,

I didn't want to pour it on, I just brought up what was irking my about the game.

I think that Halzle was a weakness, not an attribute as his apologists would have you believe

I think Murray not starting is the single dumbest decision made by our coaching staff, and should cost them more than a loss

I think that the complaints you have are very very very good points, and should be discussed, but just because my discontent doesn't align with your discontent doesn't mean they're mutually exclusive.

MiccoMacey
11/19/2007, 03:39 PM
YOU'RE DAUGHTERS A FOOL :)

AND THE FATHER THAT PRODUCED HER...HE'S FOOLISH TOO!!!! BUT HE'S A MAN...HE'S FORTY (ONE)!!!! AND HE'S A FATHER....OF CHILDREN!!!!!

:D

I agree with the two year old, but that four year old has a lot to learn!

And yet she's still more smarter than I am. :)

SoonerWally
11/19/2007, 03:41 PM
Could just be me, but I thought the lost look in Halzle's eyes was more the coaches' fault than his. We just thought Bradford was invincible and I don't think that Halzle was ready to go.

SleestakSooner
11/19/2007, 03:50 PM
They go hand in hand. Halzle's stats for the game were misleading. I wasn't impressed with his stats or play for the first half. I was pleased with his stats and moreso his play in the second half.

BTW, my four year old daughter likes to type on these message boards. Bear with me please. It'll probably be more intelligent than anything I said anyway.

rrrr44444444444444444442sagggggghhhhhhytewxxxxxxss sssssssssssssssxxeddsazws4444wxj

And now my two-year old daughter:

u9ollkkkuuuuyyyyyyyy66600000pppp[lllllllllll lkkkkoo9998764wazz;pppppoo

I noticed your youngest girl there ended her post with "poo"... it may be time to check a diaper! :eek:

SoonerBBall
11/19/2007, 04:13 PM
I think the stats are misleading for any number of reasons.

I'd love to hear your reasons, but I'm betting they are probably really bad.

Halzle had the same look from the first snap on.

That is blatant hyperbole and has been refuted with the fact that he went 21-41 with 2 TDs and only 1 INT. So yeah, your criticism is unfounded.

Well, we lost to Tech, at Tech, when our undeniably most experienced QB left the game after the first offensive series and never returned. Not to mention that we lost 3 other players that included a starter, a player who should be starting, and a talented backup that saw a great deal of playing time. I'm not happy we lost but I'm certainly satisfied with the outcome of the game considering what happened for the 60 minutes of play time.

There is a reason that you are playing Monday Morning Coach (TM) with your "perceived consequences" while Bob, Kevin, and Brent are earning ridiculous salaries with theirs. I'm also sure that Bob is very sad that you are disappointed.

C&CDean
11/19/2007, 04:19 PM
Good lord, another stupid thread.