PDA

View Full Version : Told you guys about the Short Routes

Soonermagik
11/19/2007, 09:06 AM
I had a post a few days before the game about short routes and how we needed to be more aggressive.

Mike Leach took the short passes all night and wore out our defense. Why didn't we press our corners??? We were on the road with our starting QB out why not play more aggressive on defense? I'm not upset that we lost because we had Sam out, but our defensive play calling reminded me of Pelini.

KHS Sooner
11/19/2007, 09:09 AM
Venables has been playing the corners back all season, I quess just so they don't give up any long passes. It does sometimes work, but you have to be able to tackle first.

cheezyq
11/19/2007, 01:10 PM
We did play man-to-man on bump and run coverage for the first 4 series or so, and blitzed the heck out of Harrell. We ended up with an interception for a TD, a 3-and-out, and 2 drives that stalled and resulted in field goals, one of which was a 50-yarder. Then, we went to zone, and the rest is history.

sooner518
11/19/2007, 01:23 PM
We did play man-to-man on bump and run coverage for the first 4 series or so, and blitzed the heck out of Harrell. We ended up with an interception for a TD, a 3-and-out, and 2 drives that stalled and resulted in field goals, one of which was a 50-yarder. Then, we went to zone, and the rest is history.
I noticed that we stopped blitzing after the 1st quarter. wtf did we do that for?

Curly Bill
11/19/2007, 03:07 PM
I noticed that we stopped blitzing after the 1st quarter. wtf did we do that for?

We were attempting to set up the big 4th quarter comeback. :D
Almost worked too. :)

OUTrumpet
11/19/2007, 03:10 PM

I dunno, but maybe they looked at it like - our offense isn't going to make plays, and our defense is stuck on the field. Let's play a bend-but-don't-break style, keep the big play away from them, and try to keep our defense as fresh as possible but also keep the score down.

We did make some pretty good adjustments at halftime though, only let them score 7 on a short field. Just wish we could have figured that out between the 1st and 2nd quarters at the latest :(

Scott D
11/19/2007, 03:26 PM
I dunno, but maybe they looked at it like - our offense isn't going to make plays, and our defense is stuck on the field. Let's play a bend-but-don't-break style, keep the big play away from them, and try to keep our defense as fresh as possible but also keep the score down.

We did make some pretty good adjustments at halftime though, only let them score 7 on a short field. Just wish we could have figured that out between the 1st and 2nd quarters at the latest :(

7 points and just over 150 yards...but, most posters won't acknowledge that fact.

XingTheRubicon
11/19/2007, 03:42 PM
7 points and just over 150 yards...but, most posters won't acknowledge that fact.

Maybe they don't acknowledge it because when Tech is up 34 to 13 and we're taking 6 minutes to kick a field goal, they start throwing underneath more and less risky 15 yard darts in the middle of the field. They didn't have to score because we sucked so gloriously in the first half.

Just a thought.

Scott D
11/19/2007, 04:00 PM
Maybe they don't acknowledge it because when Tech is up 34 to 13 and we're taking 6 minutes to kick a field goal, they start throwing underneath more and less risky 15 yard darts in the middle of the field. They didn't have to score because we sucked so gloriously in the first half.

Just a thought.

oh absolutely, add that to the fact that the offense wasn't nearly as prone to going 3 and out as often in the second half as they were in the first half, leading to their offense being on the field less.

Just another thought.

proudsoonergal
11/19/2007, 04:16 PM
STOP WITH THE THOUGHTS!!! THAT'S GARBAGE!!! AND THE PEOPLE WHO POST THEM ARE GARBAGE!!!!!!

;)

OK2U
11/19/2007, 04:50 PM
Stoops mentioned on Monday that they didn't really change their defensive schemes after the first half, but blamed blown coverages and poor
safety play on Tech's scoring orgy in the first half.

Blitzkrieg
11/19/2007, 05:23 PM
I think your revelation about the short routes wasn't exactly a light bulb going off to the coaches. Since half the nation runs a spread now, the short routes are amost teams face.

The spread has been the great equalizer in college football, and it's time for the rules comittee to step back into the picture and adopt the same rules as the NFL. The problem is that the NCAA likes when upsets happen, and they like the parity.

Some wise coach will devis ethe best attack fro a spread, and then recruit the atheltes to beat it. It probably has to do with having 7 DBs on the field at once. It wil lhappen, football is always changing, just the way the 46 defense changed football, and the way the wishbone changed it.

I hope we are the team to figure out the best way to beat it, out whole league is using it it seems like.

MextheBulldog
11/19/2007, 05:59 PM
Let's give some props to Harrell as well. He made play after play with a defender in his face.

And it seemed to me that a majority of the time, those dump-offs occurred in between the D-line rushing hard and the LB's dropping back; i.e. in garbage time after the original play had run its course

Again, credit to Harrell for a nice game. (hurts to say that...)

XingTheRubicon
11/19/2007, 06:19 PM
oh absolutely, add that to the fact that the offense wasn't nearly as prone to going 3 and out as often in the second half as they were in the first half, leading to their offense being on the field less.

Just another thought.

You might want to take a peek at the box score and drive chart and then come back and post some more.;)