PDA

View Full Version : Fake punt?

oupride
11/19/2007, 08:42 AM
Anyone know what exactly happened on the muffed punt on end of Sooners 1st possession 3rd qtr? Score was 27-10 gave possession to Raiders on OU 34. Announcers said it was a fake to Lewis Baker?

Boomer.....
11/19/2007, 08:46 AM
I heard that it was a fake punt to Baker and everyone knew it but him.

colleyvillesooner
11/19/2007, 08:47 AM
I read somewhere else that Stoops said it was Shaw's fault.

tulsaoilerfan
11/19/2007, 09:01 AM
I read somewhere else that Stoops said it was Shaw's fault.
Um, maybe one of the coaches should have made sure all 11 players were on the same page? Blaming this on any of the players is bush

KHS Sooner
11/19/2007, 09:13 AM
All I saw was the football heading to the punter and Lewis Baker stuck his hand out and knocked it away.

INGRAM1
11/19/2007, 09:26 AM
Can someone tell me if the TD that was not was really a TD? I work nights so I did not see the 2nd quarter through the rest of the game. Thanks.

KHS Sooner
11/19/2007, 09:27 AM
Can someone tell me if the TD that was not was really a TD? I work nights so I did not see the 2nd quarter through the rest of the game. Thanks.

From what I saw Manuel came down with it and had a foot in, then when he was down on the ground a Tech player grabbed the ball from him. I think it should have been a catch, but thats just me.

oupride
11/19/2007, 01:51 PM
It was ruled an incomplete pass by the ref. Then reviewed. The play stood as called on the field.

picasso
11/19/2007, 01:58 PM
why not just go for it and give the ball to Murray in that situation.

and prior to that we kick field goals inside the 5. Stoops has lost some cajones me thinks.

85sooners
11/19/2007, 02:00 PM
:confused:

Suerreal
11/19/2007, 02:02 PM

MJ had his two hands on the ends of the ball. The Tech defender had one hand on the center of the ball. MJ's foot came down in the end zone, and as they fell down out of bounds, the Tech defender was able to pull the ball towards his free hand and out of MJs grasp.

There was no bobbling to say that neither player had possession.

While in play, the ball was either in MJs' possession, or "tied" with the defender and TIES ARE SUPPOSED TO GO THE RECEIVER.

But this is my admittedly biased interpretation of the video I saw. Even I would have a tough time claiming there was indisputable video evidence on which to overturn the call on the field.

Breadburner
11/19/2007, 02:39 PM
There are 2 options on the fake punt the snapper got it wrong......Ones a run and ones a pass it should have gone to the punter where he would pass it downfield......

OklaPony
11/19/2007, 02:43 PM
It was ruled an incomplete pass by the ref. Then reviewed. The play stood as called on the field.
I thought the initial ruling was out of bounds / forced out, not incomplete.

Sonner magic923
11/19/2007, 02:46 PM
All I saw was the football heading to the punter and Lewis Baker stuck his hand out and knocked it away.

well what I saw was the ball headed straight for lewis baker and hit him somewhere about the shoulder, either he didnt know he was supposed to get it or the snapper didnt know who was supposed to get it who really knows

MiccoMacey
11/19/2007, 02:55 PM
well what I saw was the ball headed straight for lewis baker and hit him somewhere about the shoulder, either he didnt know he was supposed to get it or the snapper didnt know who was supposed to get it who really knows

Bingo. At first, I also thought Baker hit it with his hands, but replay showed it was coming at him and hit him in the shoulder area. He may have gotten a hand up, but it was clearly a defensive reaction to something coming at him.

Stoops was yelling at Shaw as he came off the field. That's why I don't think it was a called fake punt.

Vic n Tulsa
11/19/2007, 02:57 PM
MJ had his two hands on the ends of the ball. The Tech defender had one hand on the center of the ball. MJ's foot came down in the end zone, and as they fell down out of bounds, the Tech defender was able to pull the ball towards his free hand and out of MJs grasp.

There was no bobbling to say that neither player had possession.

While in play, the ball was either in MJs' possession, or "tied" with the defender and TIES ARE SUPPOSED TO GO THE RECEIVER.

But this is my admittedly biased interpretation of the video I saw. Even I would have a tough time claiming there was indisputable video evidence on which to overturn the call on the field.

OK. Here's the unbiased view of that play:

The throw from Hazle was a little high, MJ jumped high in the air and made the grab with both hands over his head, as he was coming down, he slightly bobbled the ball as his foot landed in bounds, as he and the defender fell to the ground, the defender grabbed the ball away from MJ as they fell out of bounds. The call on the field was an incomplete pass.

Replays clearly showed his foot landed inbounds and his hands were on the ball, but he had not secured the ball completely. Close call, but no overwhelming evidence to change the call on the field.

MiccoMacey
11/19/2007, 03:04 PM
Close call, but no overwhelming evidence to change the call on the field.

So if the pass had been ruled a TD, you would say they got it right?

The Maestro
11/19/2007, 05:52 PM

and prior to that we kick field goals inside the 5. Stoops has lost some cajones me thinks.

There is NO DOUBT about this one. I thought Barry Tramel's point on this was right on. I mean, it wasn't fourth and five. It was fourth and one. Tell Tech the play we are running and still convert. This was Tech's defense, not the Patriots. A fake should never be required at that point in the game. Just line up and get it. The confusion was embarrassing.

OUmillenium
11/19/2007, 05:57 PM
The nutlessness of the night until the 4th qtr was even more embarrassing.

rubyspirit
11/19/2007, 10:31 PM
Stoops does a lot of blaming on losses. I hate that! He says its a TEAM when they win, but can sure point the finger when they don't.

Well I point the finger at him on this one. He shouldn't call plays that aren't well practiced. I like trick plays, only if they work. Not one has for OU this year. NONE

stoops the eternal pimp
11/19/2007, 10:36 PM
the call was a fake. If the return team/defense lined up in a certain way, baker was to call the fake off using a certain call word. baker said it but the center either didnt hear it or forgot the call word...this according to stoops

tulsaoilerfan
11/19/2007, 11:44 PM
the call was a fake. If the return team/defense lined up in a certain way, baker was to call the fake off using a certain call word. baker said it but the center either didnt hear it or forgot the call word...this according to stoops
Again, on 4th and 1 against TECH's mighty defense, why on Earth would you not just line up and go for it instead of taking a chance on something like this?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/19/2007, 11:55 PM
Again, on 4th and 1 against TECH's mighty defense, why on Earth would you not just line up and go for it instead of taking a chance on something like this?

not sure why...just saying what the call was

budbarrybob
11/20/2007, 12:32 AM

HA, see TAM last year. :pop:

picasso
11/21/2007, 03:28 PM
HA, see TAM last year. :pop:
hey, I agree but that was last year.