PDA

View Full Version : Dean Blevins on the Sports Blitz

tulsaoilerfan
11/18/2007, 11:45 PM
Gave grades of D- for the offense, defense, and overall for yesterday's game; he also mentioned all the emails and text messages he was getting about the game and was kinda critical of the coaching staff; some of the things he mentioned were some of the same things mentioned on here.

1. Why wasn't nichol put in earlier?
2. The Offensive line is over-rated.
3. No imagination on offense.
4. No leadership or emotion on the team.

All of the above came from Dean Blevins, not me; i know a lot of you think Dean is a tool and he's not my favorite either, but this is really the first time i've heard him be negative about the coaching staff; discuss.

goingoneight
11/18/2007, 11:48 PM
He bitches when we lose just like most of the "fans" who couldn't give two ****s about OU back when Boo and Schnelly were here. You win some, you lose some... after four injuries, to say we only lost by a score on the road is something worth mentioning, not bitching.

tulsaoilerfan
11/18/2007, 11:49 PM
He bitches when we lose just like most of the "fans" who couldn't give two ****s about OU back when Boo and Schnelly were here. You win some, you lose some... after four injuries, to say we only lost by a score on the road is something worth mentioning, not bitching.

So you don't think he has any valid points i take it?

peanous
11/18/2007, 11:54 PM
crimson glasses for most on this board..

30 years a fan here and it doesn't bother me to call it like I see it. apparently it bothers some

SoonerKnight
11/18/2007, 11:55 PM
Why put in a true freshmen that in mop up duty has not shown to play that well? remember at the beginning of the season both Halzle and Nichols got mop up duty for almost 2 qtrs. Halzle had shown that he could make the plays. Of course the pressure was on him last night and Nichols might not have been able to do as well as Halzle. To say this is the coaching is a little too much. Losing four guys in one gamis a lot. We almost won. I think if Bradford had not gone down OU wins by 20+!

kevpks
11/19/2007, 12:15 AM
D-? Oh...my...God. We passed!

85sooners
11/19/2007, 12:16 AM
Why put in a true freshmen that in mop up duty has not shown to play that well? remember at the beginning of the season both Halzle and Nichols got mop up duty for almost 2 qtrs. Halzle had shown that he could make the plays. Of course the pressure was on him last night and Nichols might not have been able to do as well as Halzle. To say this is the coaching is a little too much. Losing four guys in one gamis a lot. We almost won. I think if Bradford had not gone down OU wins by 20+!i agree

tulsaoilerfan
11/19/2007, 12:18 AM

30 years a fan here and it doesn't bother me to call it like I see it. apparently it bothers some
It bothers a lot of people on here, unfortunately; i personally have no problem with most of the questions that i see on here; in regards to the coaching staff, they make pretty big bucks to get this team prepared to play every week, and on the road this season they have not earned their paychecks, pure and simple

goingoneight
11/19/2007, 12:37 AM
All coaches at D-1 programs make big bucks. Some obviously more than others. It's pretty evident though, over time why Stoops and Co. makes more $$$ than guys like Leach and Hawkins. They have the hardware and the program generates the funds to keep them easily. We're not exactly breakign the bank to keep these guys ya know... and I can't think of one single guy outside of maybe Barry Switzer who could do better over nine years than Stoops. I only say maybe Barry because sometimes even coaching greats kind of drift away from glory like Bowden and Paterno have in recent years. The homer in me thinks he could still do it, though.

peanous
11/19/2007, 12:48 AM
Stoops problem is he lets friendship get in the way of doing what is best for the program. Can anyone deny he put one heck of a coaching staff together in 99. He has not done his job replacing those that have left with the same caliber replacement.

I don't really wanna pick on Venables much though I think he is in over his head. He was a man to man cover guy at K-state but stoops prefers to play zone. It could all just be adjustments that venables has yet to fully grasp as the D coordinator or BJW can't seem to get the DB's to play the proper way in a zone defense. I really don't know but there has been a huge drop off in technique in so many areas.

WE miss Mike, we miss Jonathan Hayes, we miss Mangino(I never had any clue this guy was this good of coach). The special teams has suffered since Hayes went to the Bengals, the Secondary has suffered since Mike left. and the O-line has suffered since Mangino left.

We are a great pass blocking team but its like they have no clue on how to run block. These backs are getting their yards mostly on their ability.

I just feel Bob lets his friendships with coaches get in the way of smart personnel management. There is some obvious problems that I just don't think will be addressed.

jdsooner
11/19/2007, 02:27 AM
I still think Stoops is smarter than Blevins.

Blevins acted like he was a genius because he picked Tech to win. His act is wearing thin.

SoonerKnight
11/19/2007, 03:28 AM
Dean will be run outta town he keeps talking that kind of smack oh and I listened to the teleconference with Stoops when Dean asked questions Stoops was all but kind to him IMHO!!!

soonersn20xx
11/19/2007, 06:11 AM
I'm glad someone is asking the hard questions and turning up the heat..........losing to Tech is not acceptable, and to ignore the problem and think things will get better without some change is foolish.

wishbonesooner
11/19/2007, 06:41 AM
We don't have any problems that can't be fixed. When fans stop caring about losing, then we have a problem.

yur-out
11/19/2007, 07:31 AM

chicken little for some on this board

35 years a fan here and it doesn't bother me to have faith in the coaches after a loss. apparently it bothers some

RacerX
11/19/2007, 07:45 AM
dean is a tool.

and that has nothing to do with whatever he said last night.

r5TPsooner
11/19/2007, 07:52 AM
Stoops problem is he lets friendship get in the way of doing what is best for the program. Can anyone deny he put one heck of a coaching staff together in 99. He has not done his job replacing those that have left with the same caliber replacement.

I don't really wanna pick on Venables much though I think he is in over his head. He was a man to man cover guy at K-state but stoops prefers to play zone. It could all just be adjustments that venables has yet to fully grasp as the D coordinator or BJW can't seem to get the DB's to play the proper way in a zone defense. I really don't know but there has been a huge drop off in technique in so many areas.

WE miss Mike, we miss Jonathan Hayes, we miss Mangino(I never had any clue this guy was this good of coach). The special teams has suffered since Hayes went to the Bengals, the Secondary has suffered since Mike left. and the O-line has suffered since Mangino left.

We are a great pass blocking team but its like they have no clue on how to run block. These backs are getting their yards mostly on their ability.

I just feel Bob lets his friendships with coaches get in the way of smart personnel management. There is some obvious problems that I just don't think will be addressed.

You obviously don't watch much Arizona football do you? Their defense sucks! If Dixon stays in the game they probably hand 50+ points on Mike Stoops and his vaunted defense.

I agree that Venables is no longer the answer, but it's up to the players to be in the correct place during the game and not to blow coverages on a game-by-game basis.

Socrefbek
11/19/2007, 08:23 AM

I hear ya.

You have to take into consideration though that a great number of posters on this board comes from the "Everyone gets a trophy" generation. Everyone gets A's or B's in school because it might hurt someones feelings to get a "C". No red ink to correct my schoolwork cause it's bad for my self esteem. Let's not even get into the fact that you can't use corporal punishment, give cleaning duty or any other form of discipline that might actually build some character.

Constructive criticism is seen as a personal assault and absolutely not to be tolerated. Everyone is special.

Curly Bill
11/19/2007, 08:28 AM
I hear ya.

You have to take into consideration though that a great number of posters on this board comes from the "Everyone gets a trophy" generation. Everyone gets A's or B's in school because it might hurt someones feelings to get a "C". No red ink to correct my schoolwork cause it's bad for my self esteem. Let's not even get into the fact that you can't use corporal punishment, give cleaning duty or any other form of discipline that might actually build some character.

Constructive criticism is seen as a personal assault and absolutely not to be tolerated. Everyone is special.

I don't know how many posters on here fit into what you're talking about, but I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying.

usmc-sooner
11/19/2007, 08:43 AM
whether you like Dean or not he was right about everything said except for playing Nichol.

I'm glad we showed heart and fought back. I like coach Stoops. I can deal with the loss. I hope all the players heal and get better.
It's time to embarrass the pokes.

stoopified
11/19/2007, 08:47 AM
Gave grades of D- for the offense, defense, and overall for yesterday's game; he also mentioned all the emails and text messages he was getting about the game and was kinda critical of the coaching staff; some of the things he mentioned were some of the same things mentioned on here.

1. Why wasn't nichol put in earlier?
2. The Offensive line is over-rated.

All of the above came from Dean Blevins, not me; i know a lot of you think Dean is a tool and he's not my favorite either, but this is really the first time i've heard him be negative about the coaching staff; discuss.
First of all Dean is an overrated sports reporter who got his job becuse of a plane crash. Secondly this coaching staff has 95 more D-1 coaching wins than you, Dean, and all the coach bashers on this board.Third Blevins also said on this same Blitz THAT THE BRADFORD INJURY HAD NO BEARING ON THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME.Let's see second best QB on campus lights up TT for 290 yds and 2 TDs when EVERYONE in the stadium knew he had to pass.Is it just possible that the #1 passer in the country would have better numbers,more TDs,keep the TT offense off the field,and lead OU to victory?As usual Dean is clueless.The Bradford injury was THE DECIDING FACTOR in the game or maybe Dean the Dim thinks Bradford's#1 passer rating,28 TDs,2500+yards, are irrelevant.

1stTimeCaller
11/19/2007, 08:52 AM
*edit*I was as wrong as two boys ******* in the woods.

OklaPony
11/19/2007, 08:56 AM
not even close to being correct. whatsoever.
That line confused me, too. I'm really anxious to see the justification / explanation for it.

usmc-sooner
11/19/2007, 09:03 AM
Direct quote from Stoops:
"We as coaches haven't done a good job of getting our players to play with any kind of discipline."

wishbonesooner
11/19/2007, 09:15 AM
Like him or not, which I personally don't, Blevins was at one time the starting QB for OU. He's covered sports for a long time. He took over after Teegin's unfortunate death, but he didn't get a job because of a plane crash.

Animal Mother
11/19/2007, 09:21 AM
I’m sticking with this theory because it’s the truth. I know some people are tired of it but all I can say is tough sh*t. Coaches coach and players play. That is why any win or loss is a team action. The sum of the parts is less than that of the whole? Capiche?

stoopified
11/19/2007, 09:22 AM
Bill Teegins was sports director he died in the plane crash No plane crash then Bill is still sportsdirector and Dean is still just channel 9 reporter/consultant.However painful to recall it IS true.The main thrust of my post is Dean is a hack,who once again is wrong.The proof comes when we beat OSU and win the Big 12 Title against MU or KU.Once again Dean will be proven wrong.

USMC,what else do you expect Bob to do other than take the blame for player mistakes?Blame the players?Any good coach takes the heat for players making mistakes and Our coaches have done that all year.

usmc-sooner
11/19/2007, 09:24 AM
Bill Teegins was sports director he died in the plane crash No plane crash then Bill is still sportsdirector and Dean is still just channel 9 reporter/consultant.However painful to recall it IS true.The main thrust of my post is Dean is a hack,who once again is wrong.The proof comes when we beat OSU and win the Big 12 Title against MU or KU.Once again Dean will be proven wrong.

USMC,what else do you expect Bob to do other than take the blame for player mistakes?Blame the players?Any good coach takes the heat for players making mistakes and Our coaches have done that all year.

usually they say they had the right stuff called and the players didn't execute. I don't have this Dean Blevins hate that most have, I disagree with him some stuff but I think what he said on this was pretty accurate. Switzer has also made some critical remarks as well.

kc sooner
11/19/2007, 09:25 AM
I hear ya.

AWESOME Post!!!

kc sooner
11/19/2007, 09:27 AM
First of all Dean is an overrated sports reporter who got his job becuse of a plane crash. Secondly this coaching staff has 95 more D-1 coaching wins than you, Dean, and all the coach bashers on this board.Third Blevins also said on this same Blitz THAT THE BRADFORD INJURY HAD NO BEARING ON THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME.Let's see second best QB on campus lights up TT for 290 yds and 2 TDs when EVERYONE in the stadium knew he had to pass.Is it just possible that the #1 passer in the country would have better numbers,more TDs,keep the TT offense off the field,and lead OU to victory?As usual Dean is clueless.The Bradford injury was THE DECIDING FACTOR in the game or maybe Dean the Dim thinks Bradford's#1 passer rating,28 TDs,2500+yards, are irrelevant.

Bradford got injured because we don't start the best running back. If Murray is starting, Bradford probably doesn't get hurt and we win, so it's all Stoops fault!!

1stTimeCaller
11/19/2007, 09:31 AM

First of all Dean is an overrated sports reporter who got his job becuse of a plane crash.

The way I read that line you say the he is a reporter and he only got that job (being a reporter) due to a plane crash. That is not a correct statement.

I should add that I do agree with the rest of your post, for the most part.

I'm sorry if I misread your post.

stoopified
11/19/2007, 09:33 AM
usually they say they had the right stuff called and the players didn't execute. I don't have this Dean Blevins hate that most have, I disagree with him some stuff but I think what he said on this was pretty accurate. Switzer has also made some critical remarks as well.
Yeah but does that mean they are bad coaches and should be replaced?What it means to me is the players are not playing the way they are coached.Stupid penalties 9unsportsman/late hits /unecessary roughness )have abounded this year.Is it because Our coaches can't coach?I don't think so and I don't think you really believe that either.

1TC Excuse me I should have said he has his CURRENT job because of a plane crash.

usmc-sooner
11/19/2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah but does that mean they are bad coaches and should be replaced?What it means to me is the players are not playing the way they are coached.Stupid penalties 9unsportsman/late hits /unecessary roughness )have abounded this year.Is it because Our coaches can't coach?I don't think so and I don't think you really believe that either.

well if you can find where I've wanted our coaches replaced or said they can't coach then you got me. They do have bad game plans from time to time. All of us do. Only James Hale can't admit that.

1stTimeCaller
11/19/2007, 09:41 AM
I also could have sworn that under Blake we got a lot of penalties because Blake wasn't a good coach and that under Stoops our players are more diciplined?

I don't think any sane person is calling for Stoops' job but asking questions doesn't seem too out of line.

Mjcpr
11/19/2007, 09:44 AM

That ain't true!![hairGel]

C&CDean
11/19/2007, 09:45 AM
This thread is gay.

stoopified
11/19/2007, 09:53 AM
Sorry USMC I thought you were critcizing Our coaches and not the gameplan.Gameplanning was not mentioned in your post.Do you not think that Our gameplan would have worked if Sam had not gotten hurt?My point in defending OUr coaches is that NO ONE is more qualified to coach this team than Bob and his staff and that includes Dean who has no coaching experience and Barry who has not coached in today's college game.Bob and his staff have put together gameplans good enough to win all 11 games,but 6 drppoed passes(ouright drops )i plus a dropped punt and three dropped oskies cost us at CU and Sam getting hurt in the first 5 minutes of this game cost us this game.Gameplan was irrelevant in both losses ,execution and injusry were the dciding factors.No gameplan will win if not executed (CU) or if your offense which depends heavily on the #1 rated passer in the country suddenly is forced to use a novice at QB.

How would a change of gameplan have affected either loss?Not trying to start a fight just asking an honest question.

VMG
11/19/2007, 09:57 AM
Interesting thread...

Remarkably, in spite of what was by (almost) all accounts an ugly first half performance, we were still in a position to win in the fourth quarter. Personally, though I share the frustrations of most of you, I like the glass is half-full perspective.

"Losing" is one thing, but I think "losing ugly" is what incites some to riot 'round heeyah. I guarantee that a competitor like Bob Stoops doesn't like any of this any more than we do. He has a pretty good record of responding well in the face of adversity -- I'm inclined to see what happens this coming weekend before I jump off the nearest Interstate overpass.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/19/2007, 09:59 AM
Bradford got injured because we don't start the best running back. If Murray is starting, Bradford probably doesn't get hurt and we win, so it's all Stoops fault!!

I sure the hell hope this is sarcasm, because this statement is ri-fuggin'-diculous.

Demarco Murray is one heck of a talent. Very sharp, and arguably the best running back on the squad. Yet what he brings to the table is entirely different than what Allen Patrick brings. AP is downhill, good angles from the snap, and hard yards, hit you in the mouth and make you like it, hence why he was able to step in so seamlessly when AD went down. Their styles are eerily similar. Early in a ballgame, when your offensive front is throwin' sometimes 50+ pounds per man bigger than the defensive front you're facing, that's all about smashmouth. It's all about a steady diet of hittin'. AP does just that, and does it well. Doesn't get cute. Doesn't get silly trying to chicken peck out a hole when D lines and LBs are fresh and flying. You want that consistency early in the ballgame as it's a major aspect of using sheer horsepower to wear out a defensive front. And while Demarco is again, a VERY special talent, he doesn't bring that type of downhill pain. He's slick. Fast. The opposite of what you need when trying to establish a power running attack. With a guy like Murray, your blocking schemes, your playcalling, and your methodology as an offensive coordinator has to take a different tack to take true advantage of the pure skill he brings.

So yes, he should get TONS of playing time and touches.

But early in a game, I know I'd prefer consistency and downhill strength as I put together early drives. 5.4 YPC to Murray's 6.0 ain't too shabby in that regard, especially given how he does it. Put that with some senior leadership on the field and I have no issue whatsoever with AP getting the start. It just makes sense with how they try to control a game offensively.

And it makes sense to me.

stoopified
11/19/2007, 10:01 AM
Interesting thread...

Remarkably, in spite of what was by (almost) all accounts an ugly first half performance, we were still in a position to win in the fourth quarter. Personally, though I share the frustrations of most of you, I like the glass is half-full perspective.

"Losing" is one thing, but I think "losing ugly" is what incites some to riot 'round heeyah. I guarantee that a competitor like Bob Stoops doesn't like any of this any more than we do. He has a pretty good record of responding well in the face of adversity -- I'm inclined to see what happens this coming weekend before I jump off the nearest Interstate overpass.
I agree.

BTW (responding to an earlier post)why would anybody think Murray is less likely to fumble than AP,check stats,they have both fumbled in the past,in fact that hampered DM's early playing time.

Breadburner
I think he is dead wrong about Nichol......The offensive line did play poorly and is overated as far as run-blocking goes early in games......On emotion and intensity it seems to come and go......I don't think I would give the D a D- Really TT scored 28 we gave them 7 with that fake punk debacle.....One or 2 plays and the outcome of this game is an ugly win for OU......The players still have to play especially in coverage on not make mistakes.....

C&CDean
I hear ya.

Oh. So bitching about poor coaching by stupid fans who don't have a clue = taking a paddling in school?

Your post is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board. Seriously.

usmc-sooner
11/19/2007, 10:02 AM
Sorry USMC I thought you were critcizing Our coaches and not the gameplan.Gameplanning was not mentioned in your post.Do you not think that Our gameplan would have worked if Sam had not gotten hurt?My point in defending OUr coaches is that NO ONE is more qualified to coach this team than Bob and his staff and that includes Dean who has no coaching experience and Barry who has not coached in today's college game.Bob and his staff have put together gameplans good enough to win all 11 games,but 6 drppoed passes(ouright drops )i plus a dropped punt and three dropped oskies cost us at CU and Sam getting hurt in the first 5 minutes of this game cost us this game.Gameplan was irrelevant in both losses ,execution and injusry were the dciding factors.No gameplan will win if not executed (CU) or if your offense which depends heavily on the #1 rated passer in the country suddenly is forced to use a novice at QB.

How would a change of gameplan have affected either loss?Not trying to start a fight just asking an honest question.

all I'm saying is I think we made some mistakes defensively, offensively, and on special teams. I'm think we probably win if Bradford stays healthy. But I think we should be able to run the ball better on Tech. I don't know if anyone can stop Tech's offense completely but we could've done better than what we did the first half. I don't know if I exactly blame Venables, I don't really blame the secondary because Harrell had all day to throw, no pressure.
I'd like to see us start limiting our penalties. Loadholdt jumping offsides sure gets old, Duke had 2 personal fouls.
I also don't think the refs did a competent job. They blew the TD call, they missed an obvious facemask on Murray, they made some BS PI on Finley, on Duke's first PF some Tech player came from about midfield and drilled an OU player on the sideline that should've been offsetting penalties.
Just a bad game all around.
Seems like everything that could've went wrong did go wrong. Some blame on coaches, some on players, some on refs, and some of it the stars just lined up right for Tech.

C&CDean
11/19/2007, 10:04 AM
all I'm saying is I think we made some mistakes defensively, offensively, and on special teams. I'm think we probably win if Bradford stays healthy. But I think we should be able to run the ball better on Tech. I don't know if anyone can stop Tech's offense completely but we could've done better than what we did the first half. I don't know if I exactly blame Venables, I don't really blame the secondary because Harrell had all day to throw, no pressure.
I'd like to see us start limiting our penalties. Loadholdt jumping offsides sure gets old, Duke had 2 personal fouls.
I also don't think the refs did a competent job. They blew the TD call, they missed an obvious facemask on Murray, they made some BS PI on Finley, on Duke's first PF some Tech player came from about midfield and drilled an OU player on the sideline that should've been offsetting penalties.
Seems like everything that could've went wrong did go wrong. Some blame on coaches, some on players, some on refs, and some of it the stars just lined up right for Tech.

And this would be an example of a smart post.

kevpks
11/19/2007, 10:10 AM
We had a few key bonehead plays. Duke hitting a guy out of bounds after a nine yard gain and the fake punt really stick in my mind. However, I am optimistic that those kinds of errors won't occur this week and we will win the South. I also think we are only a few upsets away from being back in the top five heading into the Big XII Championship game against the number two or number one team in the country. Any other year that might sound crazy, but upsets seem to have become the norm. Besides, this optimism makes football much more fun to watch.

kc sooner
11/19/2007, 10:26 AM
I sure the hell hope this is sarcasm, because this statement is ri-fuggin'-diculous.

Demarco Murray is one heck of a talent. Very sharp, and arguably the best running back on the squad. Yet what he brings to the table is entirely different than what Allen Patrick brings. AP is downhill, good angles from the snap, and hard yards, hit you in the mouth and make you like it, hence why he was able to step in so seamlessly when AD went down. Their styles are eerily similar. Early in a ballgame, when your offensive front is throwin' sometimes 50+ pounds per man bigger than the defensive front you're facing, that's all about smashmouth. It's all about a steady diet of hittin'. AP does just that, and does it well. Doesn't get cute. Doesn't get silly trying to chicken peck out a hole when D lines and LBs are fresh and flying. You want that consistency early in the ballgame as it's a major aspect of using sheer horsepower to wear out a defensive front. And while Demarco is again, a VERY special talent, he doesn't bring that type of downhill pain. He's slick. Fast. The opposite of what you need when trying to establish a power running attack. With a guy like Murray, your blocking schemes, your playcalling, and your methodology as an offensive coordinator has to take a different tack to take true advantage of the pure skill he brings.

But early in a game, I know I'd prefer consistency and downhill strength as I put together early drives. 5.4 YPC to Murray's 6.0 ain't too shabby in that regard, especially given how he does it. Put that with some senior leadership on the field and I have no issue whatsoever with AP getting the start. It just makes sense with how they try to control a game offensively.

When DM finally got in, didn't he run pretty good straight up the middle? I'm not saying he doesn't fumble, but if he was in, everything would have been different and he probably doesn't fumble on that first play. Anyway, I like AP but he hasn't looked the same all year, and DM is the better player and should be starting, but now he's hurt.

stoopified
11/19/2007, 10:43 AM
I agree 100%.I missed the obvious late hitagainst TT that wasn't called until I saw the playback.I understand the frustration brother.That is why I am so quick to jump on Blevins, or Tramel or any local media for IMHO bashing OUr coaches and players.Jim Donnan and R.C. Slocum as well as Pat Jones do a better job of critquing Bob and the Sooners for the most part.I think it is 1) they are not as far removed from college coaching and 2) they watch more college ball.NOBODY in college football this season is more than an injury or bad play or two away from a loss.

You know if we used my playoff plan instead of BCS,OU WOULD still be in the hunt. :D

stoopified
11/19/2007, 10:44 AM
.[/QUOTE]

SoonerMom2
11/19/2007, 11:19 AM

Very well stated! Your comments about Blevins are correct. This is the man that guaranteed from his sources that Stoops was going to FL. If he told me the sky was blue, I would go check. He always gives more props to the school up north then he does OU.

Personally think Bob Stoops needs a different host for his show like Myron because Blevins is horrible. I wouldn't give you two cents for Mark Rogers either and all of his rumors he reports as facts. The two of them are in the same mold IMHO!

I refuse to watch the Sports Blitz or Channel 9 sports when he is on. I go to another channel. I love Toby Rowland but detest Blevins and have for a long time. Thanks for summing up my feelings on the guy. Second rate or less sports guy.

Dan Thompson
11/19/2007, 11:34 AM

How true it is. Seems like we have been in this mode for some years now.

RacerX
11/19/2007, 11:48 AM
Why aren't any of the geniuses calling for Cale Gundy's head?

He obviously can't teach a RB to hold on to the football.

So the RB fumbled and Sam got hurt.

IT'S ALL CALE GUNDY'S FAULT!!!!

TUSooner
11/19/2007, 11:59 AM

You don't need crimson glasses to disagree with Blevins. And all criticism is not "telling it like it is." Sometimes when people call it like they see it, they see it wrong and they are just whining.

Where's ANY proof or indication whatsoever that Nicol would have down better in that situation? Halzle cam around, just too late. I'd just as soon let Bob & the coaches on the spot make that call, Not Blevins from his ivory broadcast tower. That's the lamest sort of second-guessing there is. NO MERIT

Is the Offensive line is over-rated? I thought they pushed Tech around pretty well all game. I wish we'd have taken better advantage of it Does overrated mean that they are "bad"? NO MERIT

No imagination on offense? That's also a very cheap second guess. Whe pffensive plays don;t work, any genius can say "shluld have done something else." What "imagination" did Dean want to see? I would have preferred us to continue ramming the ball doen TT's throat in the 2d Q instead of trying 3 passes on that one series. At least we could have run some clock But there are limits about what you can do with a 2d (or 3d) string QB coming off the bench in a jam. NO MERIT

No leadership or emotion on the team?
Yeah sure. That's why we all-but shut Tech out in the 2nd half and came within a whisker of tying the thing up despite everything else. Sure we were shell-shocked in the 2d Q, but we did NOT collapse and let the game end as a 55-13 laugher. The guys kept playing. For Dean to make a blanket statement about NO leadership or emotion in the face of that reality is just plain stupid. NO MERIT

TUSooner
11/19/2007, 12:04 PM

How true it is. Seems like we have been in this mode for some years now.

Ever since your lobotomy?

Tulsa_Fireman
11/19/2007, 12:16 PM
When DM finally got in, didn't he run pretty good straight up the middle?

Sure. But does he lay pop between the tackles in the manner AP does? Nope. Not that this makes him a bad running back, he's just a different style of running back. Allen Patrick will get you hard yards. Demarco can make things explosively happen. Early on, I want AP in there to bang around and get those hard, blue collar, lunchbox yards. That's simply ball control. 8, 9, 10 play drives where the assault in the trenches is relentless and after the first series, you're already dictating the game to the defense, not the other way around.

I'm not saying he doesn't fumble, but if he was in, everything would have been different and he probably doesn't fumble on that first play.

This is a ludicrous assumption. It's a fumble. It's not like AP went in and told himself, "You know, I sure hope I can put one on the turf in the first series. It'd only be better if Sam had to make a tackle and get a concussion. That'd rock!" That's the equivalent of telling yourself if you'd put the wadcutters instead of the hollow points in the clip, you wouldn't have shot your toe off.

Anyway, I like AP but he hasn't looked the same all year, and DM is the better player and should be starting, but now he's hurt.

Again, one has zip squat to do with the other. I like Allen Patrick. I like Demarco Murray. They're both quality running backs and they're both Sooners. Overall, you can make the argument that Murray is the better running back. But again, in those ball control series, Allen Patrick fits the bill better given what Wilson does with the offense in the early going. Not that Murray can't perform in that aspect of the game, but Patrick, given his physical stature, power, and experience, is a better fit in these scenarios.

stoopified
11/19/2007, 12:21 PM
Why aren't any of the geniuses calling for Cale Gundy's head?

He obviously can't teach a RB to hold on to the football.

So the RB fumbled and Sam got hurt.

IT'S ALL CALE GUNDY'S FAULT!!!!
You are right,IT IS all Cale's fault.Lets fire HIM. :)

That is the first time that I recall anyone calling for Cale's head.Mangino-check,Leach-check,B.Sttops-check,M,Stoops-check,Long-check,Wilson-check,Venables-check,Wright-check.

Curly Bill
11/19/2007, 12:23 PM
But does he lay pop between the tackles in the manner AP does? Nope.

I'm not so sure about this. It surprises me, but Demarco runs very hard and picks up tough yards, and I really didn't think that would be part of his game. I saw more of that out of AP last year, but I can't say that this year I agree. That may not be his fault because of the way he's being used in the rotation and all that, plus starting out the year injured, but this season I don't recall him being any better at running between the tackles then Demarco. Plus, Demarco has the threat of taking it outside and to the house that maybe makes defenses play him a little differently.

cvsooner
11/19/2007, 12:40 PM
Dean Blevins would know all about being a second rate/string QB. He makes two good plays in his OU career and he's an expert on winning games?

Um, no. There's a reason Thomas Lott was the starter.

kc sooner
11/19/2007, 12:43 PM
This is a ludicrous assumption. It's a fumble. It's not like AP went in and told himself, "You know, I sure hope I can put one on the turf in the first series. It'd only be better if Sam had to make a tackle and get a concussion. That'd rock!" That's the equivalent of telling yourself if you'd put the wadcutters instead of the hollow points in the clip, you wouldn't have shot your toe off.

I don't think it's ludicrous to think if DM was in, then everything would have been different, I'm not blaming AP, I know he didn't do it on purpose. I don't know, DM might have fumbled also, but IMHO and a lot of other people, DM is the better back and should have been starting.

Anyway, it sure is sucking living in KC right now and taking all kinds of crap from MU and KU fans who didn't even know what college football was until this year. Hopefully, we can win Sat. and beat one of those two in San Antonio. Go Sooners!!

stoopified
11/19/2007, 12:48 PM
Dean Blevins would know all about being a second rate/string QB. He makes two good plays in his OU career and he's an expert on winning games?

Um, no. There's a reason Thomas Lott was the starter.
Hey now,lets be fair Dean was part of a half-dozen great plays involved in Sooner Magic.I may think he is an overrated sports journalist who trys too hard to get SCOOPS that aren't there but he is proably the best 2nd string QB in OU history.Maybe that should be its own thread,BEST 2nd String QB in OU History?

usmc-sooner
11/19/2007, 12:55 PM

I don't think it's ludicrous to think if DM was in, then everything would have been different, I'm not blaming AP, I know he didn't do it on purpose. I don't know, DM might have fumbled also, but IMHO and a lot of other people, DM is the better back and should have been starting.

Anyway, it sure is sucking living in KC right now and taking all kinds of crap from MU and KU fans who didn't even know what college football was until this year. Hopefully, we can win Sat. and beat one of those two in San Antonio. Go Sooners!!

can't you just go scoreboard to the MU fans, hopefully won't be to long until we can do it to the KU fans.

tulsaoilerfan
11/19/2007, 07:04 PM

1TC Excuse me I should have said he has his CURRENT job because of a plane crash.
I haven't seen anyone ask for Bob to be fired, and i don't think any of them are bad coaches; however, there is something missing when this team goes on the road this season and it goes beyond the Taco Tech game; you can't be considered an elite team unless you win on the road and this team just hasn't done it

r5TPsooner
11/19/2007, 07:09 PM
The loss in itself sucks. I just wish that we would have gone down swinging having played a great ball game on the road, only to be beaten by the better team.

We played a pretty poor game and were beaten by a team that was not better than us IMO.

okcusooner
11/19/2007, 07:41 PM

All of things you say about Patrick are true. However, you miss the GLARING issue of why someone else should start. Ball security has been a RECURRING problems with AP. Take a look at the MTSU game last year. On successive drives AP coughed up the ball on routine running plays. Unfortunately, that was just a prelude.

He is, however, one of the best gunners in OU history and will probably stick with an NFL team because of it.

ratherthanlater
11/19/2007, 07:55 PM
I'm glad someone is asking the hard questions and turning up the heat..........losing to Tech is not acceptable, and to ignore the problem and think things will get better without some change is foolish.
You are a moron. I hope you get the clap.

okcusooner
11/19/2007, 08:07 PM
You are a moron. I hope you get the clap.

This is precisely the type of response that is appearing too often and making this website less than it could be.

Can we please increase the amount of thought-provoking argument on THE MERITS, instead of junior high school, stream-of-conscious nonsense?

BoulderSooner79
11/19/2007, 08:12 PM
I am pretty happy with the coaching overall. My one big issue with the O strategy is trying to be a power rushing team. They are not and it is not working, and that leads to slow starts in games until we mix it up. Fortunately, we are a very good pass-first offense, and that is a superior strategy anyway because the rules favor it. We have the accurate QB, the line and the receivers. I think we should pass at least 2/3 of the time in the first half and maybe a more balanced 50/50 in the second half when the D is more tired.

I live in the Denver area and watched the Broncos win back-back superbowls in '90s. That was a very good run-first team and a notable feature was they had *the smallest O-line in the league*. They could run against a fresh defense because the O-line would book it from sideline to sideline zone blocking and let Terrell Davis wait for a lane. They couldn't do that with a big line because the guys would be too slow and couldn't repeat it for 8-10 plays. The line averaged 285lbs - 35lbs less than OU's line! But big guys are hard to get around rushing the passer as long as they have good footwork. We have big guys with good footwork, so we should use 'em that way to win the game. Now once the D is tired and having more problems getting off blocks, then we should throw a talented set of running backs at them.

TUSooner
11/19/2007, 08:28 PM
This is precisely the type of response that is appearing too often and making this website less than it could be.

Can we please increase the amount of thought-provoking argument on THE MERITS, instead of junior high school, stream-of-conscious non-sense?
But where exactky ARE the merits? Where is the "thought provoking argument"?
I don't waste my time reading every post, but the majority of posts I do see are nothing but handwringing by people who MUST find someone to blame. As if there must be some great fundamental flaw in the OU prpogram that must only be found and fixed - immediately. It's hysteria, and it deserves a metaphorical cold slap in the face.
Typically it's : "I'm not saying we need to fire Stoops, but..."
But what then?!? WTF is exactly the point? You don't like to see OU lose, and you want it to stop, OK. So what?
College athletes lost a game under tough conditions. The starting QB got knocked out of the ****ing game, fer crying out loud. It happens. And internet posters can't do anything about it. Spoiled babies who howl for constant - and instant - gratification don't deserve having a lot of time spent on explaining the facts of life to them. Okcu, I've seen just a few of your posts and you don't seem like part of the mass hysteria. But you do seem to spend a lot of energy defending chicken little.

mdklatt
11/19/2007, 08:37 PM
Can we please increase the amount of thought-provoking argument on THE MERITS, instead of junior high school, stream-of-conscious nonsense?

Hi, I'm the Internet. Have we met?

:D

okcusooner
11/19/2007, 08:42 PM
Okcu, I've seen just a few of your posts and you don't seem like part of the mass hysteria. But you do seem to spend a lot of energy defending chicken little.

I've never said the sky is falling. However, I realize that whether OU wins or loses (and I really prefer it when they win) I have to go to work on Monday. Given that, I try to assess the team dispassionately.

No, the sky is not falling. Yet I said in one of my posts earlier this year that Ivan Maisel was nuts in picking OU to win the National Championship this year.

Weeks ago it was very clear, and I posted, that the 2007 Sooners are a good team, not a very good team, and would not get to the title game. I received the cyberspace equivalent of torches and pitchforks. Hence, my negative rating.

These are not the Blake years when the sky really was falling. However, anyone who really thinks that a four-loss season is impossible needs to have another look at their Tivo.

bluedogok
11/19/2007, 09:40 PM
I don't know, DM might have fumbled also, but IMHO and a lot of other people, DM is the better back and should have been starting.

Why does it matter who "starts" when you play a three back rotation? Even though Murray didn't "start" he still has the most carries for the season. I actually prefer having a "hammer" type back in early, let the line and the back work between the tackles and wear the defense down and then put the jet in to run by them.

2007 Cumulative Stats from SoonerSports.com (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND)
RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
-----------------------------------------------------------
Murray, DeMarco 11 127 787 23 764 6.0 13 92 69.5
Patrick, Allen 10 117 657 20 637 5.4 5 69 63.7
Brown, Chris 10 100 426 12 414 4.1 5 17 41.4

DM - 36.92% of carries
AP - 34.01%
CB - 29.07%

It seems Murray gets a bit more work than whoever the "starter" is. Because they use a rotation he is fresher at the ends of games than most defenses and this only serves to help the offense.

bluedogok
11/19/2007, 09:46 PM
I haven't seen anyone ask for Bob to be fired, and i don't think any of them are bad coaches; however, there is something missing when this team goes on the road this season and it goes beyond the Taco Tech game; you can't be considered an elite team unless you win on the road and this team just hasn't done it
THIS JUST IN....THERE ARE NO ELITE TEAMS THIS SEASON.....:rolleyes:

NO ONE is flawless this season, everyone (except for KU) has had struggles this season and has a ding on their records. KU may have one after they finally play someone worthy. Most teams have had road struggles, you really have to worry when you struggle at home.

rubyspirit
11/19/2007, 10:10 PM
I was ****ed with Dean's grading of the game/team. I emailed him and he responded. He admitted he was wrong.

Clever Trevor
11/19/2007, 10:14 PM
Why put in a true freshmen that in mop up duty has not shown to play that well? remember at the beginning of the season both Halzle and Nichols got mop up duty for almost 2 qtrs. Halzle had shown that he could make the plays. Of course the pressure was on him last night and Nichols might not have been able to do as well as Halzle. To say this is the coaching is a little too much. Losing four guys in one gamis a lot. We almost won. I think if Bradford had not gone down OU wins by 20+!
You lost 4 guys? Besides Bradford, who else?

Clever Trevor
11/19/2007, 10:15 PM
Oh, and Dean the dream couldn't carry my jock. On camera or off.

PLaw
11/19/2007, 10:17 PM

Well said. I was at the game - the thing that I keep coming back to is the poor defense in the first half. It was clear we made some adjustments and Tech only scored once in the second half.

Had the defense rallied when Bradford went out, I think Halzle could have got his legs under himself and led the team to a victory. The play calling might have been better (anybody can armchair QB), but the fact remains we were within 7 points with a 1:33 left in the game.

BOOMER

PLaw

Clever Trevor
11/19/2007, 10:24 PM
:confused:
Well said. I was at the game - the thing that I keep coming back to is the poor defense in the first half. It was clear we made some adjustments and Tech only scored once in the second half.

Had the defense rallied when Bradford went out, I think Halzle could have got his legs under himself and led the team to a victory. The play calling might have been better (anybody can armchair QB), but the fact remains we were within 7 points with a 1:33 left in the game.

BOOMER

PLaw:confused:
How would the defense's rallying helped Halzle? The kid is on the bench on the phone with the OC when the D is on the field. What he needed were plays that would have slowed the game down for him some. Instead, the OC pushes him out there and has him throw the ball all over the field like he's Paul Smith. Ain't gonna work, even if he is P Smith, b/c he hasn't gotten the reps in practice.

tulsaoilerfan
11/19/2007, 11:40 PM
THIS JUST IN....THERE ARE NO ELITE TEAMS THIS SEASON.....:rolleyes:

NO ONE is flawless this season, everyone (except for KU) has had struggles this season and has a ding on their records. KU may have one after they finally play someone worthy. Most teams have had road struggles, you really have to worry when you struggle at home.

Have most good teams(since there are no elite teams) struggled in all their true road games?

bluedogok
11/20/2007, 12:06 AM
Well, since most have losses I would say they have struggled in some, and some at home. Here is just the Top 5, close games (<10) in Blue and losses in Red.

1 - LSU
Thu, Aug 30 at Mississippi State W 45-0
Sat, Sep 8 (9) Virginia Tech W 48-7
Sat, Sep 15 Middle Tennessee W 44-0
Sat, Sep 22 (12) South Carolina W 28-16
Sat, Sep 29 at Tulane W 34-9
Sat, Oct 6 (9) Florida W 28-24
Sat, Oct 13 at (17) Kentucky L 37-43
Sat, Oct 20 (18) Auburn W 30-24
Sat, Nov 3 at (17) Alabama W 41-34
Sat, Nov 10 Louisiana Tech W 58-10
Sat, Nov 17 at Mississippi W 41-24

2 - Kansas[/u]
Sat, Sep 1 Central Michigan W 52-7
Sat, Sep 8 Southeastern Louisiana W 62-0
Sat, Sep 15 Toledo W 45-13
Sat, Sep 22 Florida International W 55-3
Sat, Oct 6 at (24) Kansas State W 30-24
Sat, Oct 13 Baylor W 58-10
Sat, Oct 20 at Colorado W 19-14
Sat, Oct 27 at Texas A&M W 19-11
Sat, Nov 3 Nebraska W 76-39
Sat, Nov 10 at Oklahoma State W 43-28
Sat, Nov 17 Iowa State W 45-7

[b]3 - Missouri
Sat, Sep 1 at Illinois W 40-34
Sat, Sep 8 at Mississippi W 38-25
Sat, Sep 15 Western Michigan W 52-24
Sat, Sep 22 Illinois State W 38-17
Sat, Oct 6 (25) Nebraska W 41-6
Sat, Oct 13 at (6) Oklahoma L 31-41
Sat, Oct 20 (22) Texas Tech W 41-10
Sat, Oct 27 Iowa State W 42-28
Sat, Nov 3 at Colorado W 55-10
Sat, Nov 10 Texas A&M W 40-26
Sat, Nov 17 at Kansas State W 49-32

4 - West Virginia
Sat, Sep 1 Western Michigan W 62-24
Sat, Sep 8 at Marshall W 48-23
Thu, Sep 13 at Maryland W 31-14
Sat, Sep 22 East Carolina W 48-7
Fri, Sep 28 at (18) South Florida L 13-21
Sat, Oct 6 at Syracuse W 55-14
Sat, Oct 20 Mississippi State W 38-13
Sat, Oct 27 at (25) Rutgers W 31-3
Thu, Nov 8 Louisville W 38-31
Sat, Nov 17 at (21) Cincinnati W 28-23

5 - Ohio State
Sat, Sep 1 Youngstown State W 38-6
Sat, Sep 8 Akron W 20-2
Sat, Sep 15 at Washington W 33-14
Sat, Sep 22 Northwestern W 58-7
Sat, Sep 29 at Minnesota W 30-7
Sat, Oct 6 at (23) Purdue W 23-7
Sat, Oct 13 Kent State W 48-3
Sat, Oct 20 Michigan State W 24-17
Sat, Oct 27 at (24) Penn State W 37-17
Sat, Nov 3 Wisconsin W 38-17
Sat, Nov 10 Illinois L 21-28
Sat, Nov 17 at (23) Michigan W 14-3

stoopified
11/25/2007, 02:14 AM
You lost 4 guys? Besides Bradford, who else?
WR Adron Tennell,TB DeMarco Murray,DE Alan Davis .All are out for the season.

cvsooner
11/25/2007, 02:41 AM
Missouri's season opener Sept. 1 against Illinois was a neutral field, not an away game. They played in St. Louis.

Leroy Lizard
11/25/2007, 05:36 AM

Constructive criticism? You think the coaching staff hangs out here looking for tips?

In the eyes of all coaches, we are nothing more than a bunch of spoiled know-it-alls who use hindsight to justify their post-game criticisms. Ask any coach how much he thinks the average fan really knows about this game and he will laugh out loud.

I remember Switzer telling journalists after the loss to the Chicago Bears that there was no point in even trying to explain his decisions because the journalists wouldn't understand. People like Randy Galloway threw a fit, but Switzer was right on target.

This is a very complex game that requires a lot of experience as an actual coach to even bother second-guessing a staff that has been a proven winner for many years.

Now, on to finer points.

To say that Murray should have started because Patrick fumbled is hindsight. HINDSIGHT. Patrick played on almost every snap tonight and carried 29 times. He didn't turn the ball over a single time. He has been a standout player for OU. Stoops started him against Tech BECAUSE HE IS A DAMN GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYER. And the last time I looked, Stoops was a pretty good judge of talent, which is why Bradford is starting. (I am sure all of you talent experts predicted Sam's success this year, right?)

To say that the offense is predictable is to use the oldest, most tired cliche in football. Every fan whose team loses thinks it was because the offense was too predictable.

That brings up the next biggest cliche: The defense didn't show any fire. Exactly how do you even measure that? Most likely, the defense simply didn't play well, or the other team's offense played very well, or a combination of both.

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2007, 05:39 AM
Constructive criticism? You think the coaching staff hangs out here looking for tips?

In the eyes of all coaches, we are nothing more than a bunch of spoiled know-it-alls who use hindsight to justify their post-game criticisms. Ask any coach how much he thinks the average fan really knows about this game and he will laugh out loud.

I remember Switzer telling journalists after the loss to the Chicago Bears that there was no point in even trying to explain his decisions because the journalists wouldn't understand. People like Randy Galloway threw a fit, but Switzer was right on target.

This is a very complex game that requires a lot of experience as an actual coach to even bother second-guessing a staff that has been a proven winner for many years.

Now, on to finer points.

To say that Murray should have started because Patrick fumbled is hindsight. HINDSIGHT. Patrick played on almost every snap tonight and carried 29 times. He didn't turn the ball over a single time. He has been a standout player for OU. Stoops started him against Tech BECAUSE HE IS A DAMN GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYER. And the last time I looked, Stoops was a pretty good judge of talent, which is why Bradford is starting. (I am sure all of you talent experts predicted Sam's success this year, right?)

To say that the offense is predictable is to use the oldest, most tired cliche in football. Every fan whose team loses thinks it was because the offense was too predictable.

That brings up the next biggest cliche: The defense didn't show any fire. Exactly how do you even measure that? Most likely, the defense simply didn't play well, or the other team's offense played very well, or a combination of both.

Good points.

stoopified
11/25/2007, 11:00 AM
AP looked like a player last night,didn't he?It amazes me how some people jump on a player for a bad play and forget all his previous good plays as if one fumble suddenly turned AP into a substandard player.Looks like the experts were wrong,having a 3back rotation is not a bad thing.

bluedogok
11/25/2007, 02:23 PM
Every player also responds differently to problems. Maybe not getting much work after the fumble gave AP more motivation against OSU, maybe it made him concentrate on holding onto the ball and run with more purpose. It seems maybe that lit a fire under AP and he showed it in practice this week., we don't know if that is the case or not, the coaches probably do. Some players would be worthless after that type of discipline while others respond well. I was impressed with his special teams play after that, it seems too many of todays skill players would go sulk in a corner and he turned it into something. Good for him, I hope he goes on and does well in the future.

BTW - Blevins is a tool.....