PDA

View Full Version : Why is it Bob won't let a backup QB...

wishbonesooner
11/18/2007, 11:02 PM
get any playing time? I know Bob has his reasons, but that's puzzled me back to when Josh was QB. Not saying it would have mattered last night, but maybe Joey could have gotten into it a little sooner had he taken some meaningful snaps.

hink4769
11/18/2007, 11:11 PM
I think his reasoning, at least this year, is to give Sam more game experience. The games where Joey might have come in earlier that were blowouts (NT, Utah State, Miami) were all early in the season and Sam was still very inexperienced. I think Bob was still trying to get Sam as many snaps as possible in preparation for conference play.

goingoneight
11/18/2007, 11:13 PM
The guys got plenty of time earlier in the year. I understand frustration, but think about it... Joey Halzle couldn't beat PT or Bomar out, then loses the starting job to a redshirt freshmen. I appreciate his contributions and leadership and all, but he's just not as good as Sam, or else he'd have never missed a beat, and might have won the starting job from the beginning.

It was nice to see him stick it out and get into a rhythm.

StoopTroup
11/18/2007, 11:18 PM
hink...your probably right.

Josh was really helping out Joey during the game.

Seeing what position he was put in and how he turned the game around towards the end is further proof to me that Josh is one heckofa QB Coach.

I think JH got his feet wet last night and is good enough to carry us on if Sam isn't able to go.

The Idiot really put us in this position of having to go with Freshman QB's.

I think Sam and Joey are a really good start in rebuilding the QB position with experience. I am really excited about the next cOUple of seasons.

Season Tickets will be sold OUt for years to come.

BOOMER SOONER ! ! !

stoopified
11/18/2007, 11:21 PM
Generally speaking there has been a dropff from #1 to #2.The 2 years this wasnt true White and Hybl battled through the season(until injury intervened).When Josh started in '03,'04 we hsd some big leads where a #2 could have played but Bob has always said if you have more than 1 qb,you have no qb.This proved to hurt UT in the Applewhite -Simms era,Simms-V. Young,V. Young-Mock days.In fact the only case I can think of where a 2qb system was sucessful was in 2006 with UF.

OUAndy1807
11/18/2007, 11:38 PM
I think this is one of the few areas where Stoops can justifiably be questioned. I don't think anyone expects a 2 qb system, and this year is different because we were trying to get Bradford more experience, but I've never been a fan of how our backups never get real gamespeed experience until it's too late.

tulsaoilerfan
11/18/2007, 11:40 PM
I think this is one of the few areas where Stoops can justifiably be questioned. I don't think anyone expects a 2 qb system, and this year is different because we were trying to get Bradford more experience, but I've never been a fan of how our backups never get real gamespeed experience until it's too late.
I think that's one of the reason's 2005 was such a struggle; we lost all those senior studs in 04 and most of the back ups had very little game experience in spite of all the blow outs in 03 and 04

Breadburner
11/18/2007, 11:42 PM
When exactly should they have seen the field.......If Bradford was a Sophmore or Junior it might be diffrent.......Not to mention the fact if Bradfords out so are most of the other starters......

DallasLoanGuy
11/18/2007, 11:46 PM
I have felt that Stoops could have given the backups a little more time(in past years).... but not this year.... we are workin in a freshman.

OUAndy1807
11/18/2007, 11:53 PM
When exactly should they have seen the field.......If Bradford was a Sophmore or Junior it might be diffrent.......Not to mention the fact if Bradfords out so are most of the other starters......

apparently you missed the point that was brought up a couple of times above that this year is the exception.

SOONER44EVER
11/18/2007, 11:57 PM
We beat Baylor 52-21 last week. The backup took exactly 1 snap. The last play of the game he took a knee. Maybe just maybe, if he had been put in for 2 or 3 series he would have been a little more confident and less nervous against Tech.

yur-out
11/19/2007, 12:01 AM
I have felt that Stoops could have given the backups a little more time(in past years).... but not this year.... we are workin in a freshman.
Last year we working in a brand new qb and the year before that another brand new qb.
ST is right, the IDIOT really put us in a bad position. I think Stoops and the rest of the coaches have done a good job recovering from "the Idiot".

SoonerKnight
11/19/2007, 12:03 AM
We beat Baylor 52-21 last week. The backup took exactly 1 snap. The last play of the game he took a knee. Maybe just maybe, if he had been put in for 2 or 3 series he would have been a little more confident and less nervous against Tech.

And if we could see the future we would have known Sam was going to get hurt. I think this year is the exception and what happen last night was a lot of bad luck.

SOONER44EVER
11/19/2007, 12:09 AM
And if we could see the future we would have known Sam was going to get hurt. I think this year is the exception and what happen last night was a lot of bad luck.
We haven't played the backup QB much since Stoops has been here. I seem to recall PT having only thrown 12 passes in an entire season when were scored over 50 5 or 6 times. Wait until the starting QB gets hurt when we are up 30 late in the 4th quarter and I'll bet you start wondering why the backup wasn't in too. It will happen. Its just a matter of time.

85sooners
11/19/2007, 12:12 AM
We haven't played the backup QB much since Stoops has been here. I seem to recall PT having only thrown 12 passes in an entire season when were scored over 50 5 or 6 times. Wait until the starting QB gets hurt when we are up 30 late in the 4th quarter and I'll bet you start wondering why the backup wasn't in too. It will happen. Its just a matter of time.:O

yermom
11/19/2007, 12:42 AM
when should/would have Halzle played? Colorado? Iowa State? Texas?

the backups came in for the blowouts, other than Baylor, and that one only really ended up a blowout, it was a little too close for comfort a lot of the game

westcoast_sooner
11/19/2007, 12:57 AM
I didn't think Joey played all that badly last night. Sure, it took some time for him to get going, but the number 2 guy just isn't going to be as sharp as the starter. No position is going to be tougher to master than QB, and Joey showed that to be true.

Personally, I thought last week that Joey or even Keith could have come in and run the offense, rather than just hand off against Baylor. No real need to run up the score, but get the next guy some reps in a game.

SOONER44EVER
11/19/2007, 01:00 AM
I didn't think Joey played all that badly last night. Sure, it took some time for him to get going, but the number 2 guy just isn't going to be as sharp as the starter. No position is going to be tougher to master than QB, and Joey showed that to be true.

Personally, I thought last week that Joey or even Keith could have come in and run the offense, rather than just hand off against Baylor. No real need to run up the score, but get the next guy some reps in a game.
He didn't even get to hand the ball off last week. He played one play taking a knee on the last play of the game.

SoonerKnight
11/19/2007, 03:09 AM
We haven't played the backup QB much since Stoops has been here. I seem to recall PT having only thrown 12 passes in an entire season when were scored over 50 5 or 6 times. Wait until the starting QB gets hurt when we are up 30 late in the 4th quarter and I'll bet you start wondering why the backup wasn't in too. It will happen. Its just a matter of time.
I seem to recall that Jason White got hurt and Hyble played who was a back up! I remember that we recruited some really good QB's to have them leave because they got hurt physically or emotionally not sure which! We have had a lot of rotation in the QB spot and when JW was QB we really did not have a back up for him his senior year. So comparing the last few years I would say we have had bad luck with the QB and next year should change that. Of course when you have QB who is a freshman you might want to play him as much as possible especially if he is the best on the team and you look at our conference games we didn't win a lot of those by blow outs! Iowa state, Missouri, Saxet, Colorado (L) etc..... When would we have played the backup QB?

yermom
11/19/2007, 03:30 AM
Thompson was the backup in 2003. he played in at least the Fresno St. and aTm games

SoonerKnight
11/19/2007, 03:38 AM
He was the back up but I thought there was another QB that would have been the backup that got hurt in practice?

swardboy
11/19/2007, 08:21 AM
One other angle on playing the #2 qb: In our 77-0 blowout of A&M PT got significant playing time and looked all-world both passing and running the ball. More than a few were wondering back then 'hey, maybe we should reconsider starting the white kid with the gimpy knees.' In retrospect, we ALL know that was a goofy assumption. So I wonder if avoiding qb controversies plays into a coaching philosophy of playing time in front of thousands of rabid fans?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/19/2007, 10:10 AM
I think it is a fair cricism of Stoops that during his tenure that back-ups in general and QB in particular do not get much playing time. Even though after about 1 series or definitely by 2 I was ready to see Nichol come in the game I think the criticism in this particular case would have been more fair if Nichol had come into the game instead of Halzle.

Just my opinion but I thought especially when he first came into the game Halzle looked like a deer in the headlights. KW did throw deep on the first play he came in but that screamed "tendancy breaker" to me. It probably isn't all on Halzle for the passing game sputtering but the passing game mostly consisted from that point on of 4-5 yard out routes...even on 3rd and 6 and the WRs several times had to come back short of the sticks to make the catch. Lets be honest TT does not have a good defense either.

I give Heupel some credit for real hands-on, in-game coaching and Halzle did play better at the end. I also think that the drop-off from Bradford to Halzle is so huge that the offense is severely limited and that is a little disconcerting.

bakerjrb
11/19/2007, 10:55 AM
I find it interesting that on the same message board you can find threads
- hammering the coaches for not giving the backup QB playing time, and.....
- hammering the coaches for splitting the playing time between the RBs.

I had no problem with Sam getting ALL the snaps this year as he was learning how to run this offense. When he is a sophomore or junior, that is the time to be more liberal with substitution of his backup(s).

That being said, I would have liked to have seen Nichol come in during the 2nd quarter after Halzle started so poorly. We could have simplified the offense to "zone read left" and "zone read right" a la V Young, with an occasional pass downfield to keep the LB's and Safeties honest. I would have liked our chances of running this scheme against Tech.

Nonetheless, Wilson and Heupel must have done a great job of coaching Joey up at halftime, with the improvements we all saw in the 4th quarter.

Here's hoping that Sam cam bounce back with no residual cobwebs from that concussion.

BTW, for those idiots who have posted that Sam "was scared" to go back in the game or faulted the coaches for not playing him after the concussion, please review the following link:
http://www.headinjury.com/sports.htm
There is a very real chance of DEATH with a second injury to the brain, even a minor blow, if it occurs while the person is still symptomatic from the initial injury. That's why players with concussions are held out of ANY contact for at least one week, longer if symptoms persist.

Now, let's go win another Big 12 Championship!

Boomer.

jrb

wishbonesooner
11/19/2007, 10:58 AM
Championship teams have somebody ready to go if an injury happens. We've been really lucky over the years that things have worked out for us. It didn't Saturday. For the most part, Bob leaves his starter in. New QB's need all the reps they can get, I understand that part. Just always been curious why backups rarely get more than a couple of handoffs or taking a knee.