PDA

View Full Version : I'm surprisingly OK about yesterday's game

Half a Hundred
11/18/2007, 03:59 PM
When there was about 8 minutes to go, I figured that we had gotten to where we were mostly because the team didn't seem to have it mentally to win that sort of a game. Boy, they proved me wrong at the end.

For all intents and purposes, we should have at least tied them up, but by whatever factor you want to call it, we didn't. If we had managed to pull the comeback off, I had no doubt that we could have won the National Championship, based on that resolve I saw at the end of the game.

Unfortunately, the Bible seemed to speak against Sooner Magic last night, and it wasn't to be. Lets whoop the ever lovin' crap outta the Pokes to make up for it!

85sooners
11/18/2007, 04:01 PM
:hot:

josh09
11/18/2007, 04:16 PM
When there was about 8 minutes to go, I figured that we had gotten to where we were mostly because the team didn't seem to have it mentally to win that sort of a game. Boy, they proved me wrong at the end.

For all intents and purposes, we should have at least tied them up, but by whatever factor you want to call it, we didn't. If we had managed to pull the comeback off, I had no doubt that we could have won the National Championship, based on that resolve I saw at the end of the game.

Unfortunately, the Bible seemed to speak against Sooner Magic last night, and it wasn't to be. Lets whoop the ever lovin' crap outta the Pokes to make up for it!

I know, I threw in the towel as soon as Sam went down. I knew that it was going to be a shootout from the start anyways, and if we didnt have our main weapon leading OUR side of the shootout, then we were in trouble.

The effort the team gave last night was amazing. Im extremely proud of them.

cs6000
11/18/2007, 06:02 PM
I thought I'd feel all better after reading this.

sanantoniosooner
11/18/2007, 06:03 PM
:hot:
do you have any plans for a complete sentence in the near future?

okiewaker
11/18/2007, 06:09 PM
I, not suprisingly, grabbed my bag of bite size Tostitos, walked out on my deck, and threw the chips all over the yard.

PLaw
11/18/2007, 06:33 PM

Yeah, I was proud of the effort in the 2nd half, but really disappointed in the play calling that kept the defense on the field so much in the 1st half. It was clear that we could have lined up and gone three yards a cloud of dust and they weren[t going to be able to stop it.

If we lose to a Texas team, then I would much rather lose to Tech.

Boomer

Half a Hundred
11/18/2007, 06:34 PM
I, not suprisingly, grabbed my bag of bite size Tostitos, walked out on my deck, and threw the chips all over the yard.

Oh, until about 3 hours afterward, I was dead set on jumping into my car and driving to Lubbock to trash the place. Two things stopped me: one, I was way too drunk to drive and two, I couldn't trash Lubbock any more than it already is.

Hot Rod
11/18/2007, 06:38 PM
It only took Haizle 3 quarters to warm up, which wasn't good. Plus, we did play the last 8 minutes, the way we should've the entire game.

I was disappointed that we didn't go for the TD on the 4th and goal on the 1. Even though they stopped us, I thought we had a least another shot to make it good.

BTW, wasted Tostitos are never good. :(

okiewaker
11/18/2007, 06:50 PM
It only took Haizle 3 quarters to warm up, which wasn't good. Plus, we did play the last 8 minutes, the way we should've the entire game.

I was disappointed that we didn't go for the TD on the 4th and goal on the 1. Even though they stopped us, I thought we had a least another shot to make it good.

BTW, wasted Tostitos are never good. :(

Irony. Sugar VS. Fiesta. Tostistos make great bird feed.

GottaHavePride
11/18/2007, 07:12 PM

I think it just took a while for Halzle to get in sync with the receivers. Plus, the O-line couldn't have blocked my grandmother for a while there - didn't Halzle get gang-tackled by about six guys at one point? Hard to settle down and hit your receivers in your first significant action in a Sooner uniform while you keep eating turf sandwiches every other play.

soonerloyal
11/18/2007, 07:28 PM
If I hadn't watched Halzle improve as he played, and if I had seen no effort from the team to take back the game whatsoever...I'd still be in bed with the covers over my head, in mourning.

But he did, and they did; and although I prefer to see that effort and heart from start to finish, every game...I'm right there beside ya in being (surprisingly) OK.

What I'm not okay with is seeing a meltdown on our board during a bad game, and after a loss. Are we Sooners, or are we Pukes? Fer Chrissakes, suck it UP, people. Sure, this is a place for real fans to vent, absolutely. It's just the tards who descend on us that make me wanna, well, you know.

Sorry. Noobs and trolls drive me up a tree. :(

Curly Bill
11/18/2007, 07:45 PM
You know what? I'm surprisingly OK with what happend yesterday too...and that troubles me. What does that say about OUr expectations when we had a chance to win OUt and play in the NC game, but instead we lose to a 4-loss TT team and yet here we are OK with that? What does that say about us not being too surprised by what happened, and like I said: what does that say about expectations at this point? Is this something that we have come to expect? If so, why are we OK with it, why is this acceptable?

edit...and yeah I know, we might as well be OK with it because it ain't changing.

StoopTroup
11/18/2007, 07:49 PM
I can't say I'm OK with it because we got screwed on that end zone replay.

I would have liked a shot in OT at them though.

Sooner FLiP
11/18/2007, 07:59 PM
I can't say I am ever ok with a loss, but I am glad that we went down fighting.

SoonerKnight
11/18/2007, 08:12 PM
When Sam went down I too thought ah ****! But when Halzle threw the INT I knew it was going to be a really long game. We started the season with a red shirt freshmen. How high could we expect to go? The star QB went down and the backup came in and took a long time to get started he was 0/4 on his first 4 throws. He really was playing cold. Probably was a little nervous too. The fact that a redshirt freshmen came in a played so well is testament to Stoops and the coaching staff and how good of a job they have done. Now for me this loss was not okay I hate seeing my Sooners lose but now I expect to be the spoiler to Kansas or Missouri. I also expect to play in the Fiesta bowl. That is not the bowl I would like to be in but atleast it is a BCS bowl. I don't want to see OU play in the Cotton Bowl or Texas bowl or someother stupid bowl!!!! I expect that Sam will recover and next season will be a really good season for OUr Sooners! :D

zeke
11/18/2007, 08:22 PM
I think we will win the Big 12 Championship.

If so its a Good Year.

This is a young team and will be very good for several years.

bringit
11/18/2007, 08:29 PM
I said it after the CO loss that we'd lose two more. Hope I'm wrong. Good team--not great.

tulsaoilerfan
11/18/2007, 08:31 PM
I'm never ok about an OU loss :)

garland sooner
11/18/2007, 08:36 PM
i'm still bummed, mostly because i wanted to revel in our team winning and wipe the grins off the jerks that i had to stand next to the entire game. I wanted them to taunt back at them and say, "We beat you with our backup!" however, i didn't want to stoop to their level.

Alas, i'm okay with it because i know we can't always expect our backup to be like Holloway. Boomer Sooner, baby. and let's finish the season and beat whatever team that comes our way.

BigDeezy
11/18/2007, 08:37 PM
"Unfortunately, the Bible seemed to speak against Sooner Magic last night, and it wasn't to be."

Bible and inerrancy are no longer synonymous to me.

okiewaker
11/18/2007, 08:38 PM
You know what? I'm surprisingly OK with what happend yesterday too...and that troubles me. What does that say about OUr expectations when we had a chance to win OUt and play in the NC game, but instead we lose to a 4-loss TT team and yet here we are OK with that? What does that say about us not being too surprised by what happened, and like I said: what does that say about expectations at this point? Is this something that we have come to expect? If so, why are we OK with it, why is this acceptable?

edit...and yeah I know, we might as well be OK with it because it ain't changing.

Curly, don't be on the fence post. This is not acceptable, if you are a champion. We are used to first class coaching and first class playing. Yes, we will lose, at times, but this is an extraordinary program and should expect nothing less then what Bud and Barry provided us!

SoonerJack
11/18/2007, 08:50 PM
It's not the end of the world. Think of it this way: For Missouri fan or KU fan, this year has been like a fantasy come true. Next year or the year after that? Prolly back to the same ol' same ol'. For the Soonerfans, we know that the team accomplished way more than we predicted at the beginning of the year. We'll still play for the B-12 championship after thoroughly trashing the cowboys in Norman, and we'll probably send a disappointed Kansas or Missouri team back home with defeat.

Doged
11/18/2007, 08:51 PM
Losing sucks, but I feel a lot better about this one than the Colorado game.

I'm far, far, far more concerned about the injured players than I am about a MNC I never expected us to play for this year anyway (next year being a whole different story!). Here's hoping Bradford, Murray, English et al all recover fully both because the team needs them badly and because they're young men who I'd hate to see have to struggle throughout their futures because of debilitating football injuries.

kevpks
11/18/2007, 09:03 PM
Curly, don't be on the fence post. This is not acceptable, if you are a champion. We are used to first class coaching and first class playing. Yes, we will lose, at times, but this is an extraordinary program and should expect nothing less then what Bud and Barry provided us!

I was born in 1980 so some of you will have to educate me. Did Switzer win a national title every single year and never lose to an unranked team? Stoops has "provided" four conference titles and a national championship and he's not done yet.

bluedogok
11/18/2007, 09:12 PM
I was born in 1980 so some of you will have to educate me. Did Switzer win a national title every single year and never lose to an unranked team? Stoops has "provided" four conference titles and a national championship and he's not done yet.
No, but many were ready to fire him after going 7-4-1 in 1980, 8-4 in 1982 and 8-4 in 1983 before winning it in 1985. Too many seem to not recognize that things can be much worse like it was in the 90's.

A Sooner in Texas
11/18/2007, 09:19 PM

You seem pretty educated to me. :)
Barry of course didn't win a national championship every year, but sure put us in the running just about every single year he was there...and Stoops has us there as well. Having gotten my first formal introduction to the Sooners in 1972, I was so lucky to watch Barry get his three plus a number of B8 titles. After the years of exile, Stoops has brought us back to the promised land -- and every year with him is a year of promise. We aren't going to have that promise fulfilled every year, but what a thrill to watch and enjoy.

Desert Sapper
11/18/2007, 09:27 PM
I feel good, because of the way this team played in the second half. The D was on in the second half, and Halzle finally started connecting. He came in frozen, and had to thaw out. By the time of that BS call on the TD to Johnson, he was looking great. Just wish he could have completed one of those wide-open TDs in the first half, or one of the TDs when we were in the red-zone.

One question about the TD to MJ: if the rules are so dang clear about maintaining possession after going out of bounds, when you already have established possession and your feet have touched in the end zone, why did all the guys who get paid to comment on the game disagree with the call? I'm not whining, and I'm not saying we would've won with the call, but it would have helped and gotten us closer with time still left on the clock. As I read the rules, him having possession in the end zone made it a TD. Whether he lost the ball out of bounds or not is irrelevant. He caught it in the end zone, his foot touched, the end. I was maybe a little zealous to call out Bible, when the booth official makes the call on overturning a play, but he's the face of the officials as the Ref, so I saw him as responsible. The rules are here: http://www.sccfoa.org/docs/2007_NCAA_Rules.pdf. Enjoy.

StormySooner-IN
11/18/2007, 09:30 PM
No, but many were ready to fire him after going 7-4-1 in 1980, 8-4 in 1982 and 8-4 in 1983 before winning it in 1985. Too many seem to not recognize that things can be much worse like it was in the 90's.I was born in 1992 and have only been around since 2002 so you'll have to educate me.;)

Nah, I've read up on my OU history.:)

okiewaker
11/18/2007, 09:33 PM

I'll educate you. No where in this post did I say Switz won the NC every year. Also, I did not say Stoops was doing a bad job. I was simply stating that for many years, too long for your uneducated A** to understand is that OU has been a benchmark for perfection, and should not settle for less.

AlbqSooner
11/18/2007, 09:48 PM
Two comments:

The second half scoring was OU 17 - tech 7.

Switzer once said that the key to winning championships is having the best athletes, the best coaches, a reasonable schedule and a bit of luck. When questioned about the luck, he said if you have the coaches, athletes and schedule, are lucky enough not to have a bad call in a critical situation, and are lucky enough not to have a critical injury you have a chance to win a National Championship.

I do not accept mediocrity from the Sooner teams, but I do not believe this team has delivered mediocrity at all.

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 10:02 PM
No, but many were ready to fire him after going 7-4-1 in 1980, 8-4 in 1982 and 8-4 in 1983 before winning it in 1985.

Actually, the Bury Barry bumper stickers started cropping up before the 1983 season. Until that time, Barry had won two national titles, but that didn't stop the criticism.

As for comparing Barry to Bob, just keep in mind that Barry put his team in the Top-3 in 9 out of 16 seasons. I doubt anyone can match that, although I haven't checked. I doubt even Paul Bear Bryant had nine Top-3 finishes for as long has he coached.

bluedogok
11/18/2007, 10:40 PM
As for comparing Barry to Bob, just keep in mind that Barry put his team in the Top-3 in 9 out of 16 seasons. I doubt anyone can match that, although I haven't checked. I doubt even Paul Bear Bryant had nine Top-3 finishes for as long has he coached.
Didn't he have like 42 National Championships in 24 years, so he HAD to have them in the top 3 every year :rolleyes:

OUmillenium
11/18/2007, 10:50 PM
I'm OK with yesterday's loss because I would rather have that happen at Texas Tech from Leach rather than a nationwide azzpounding from LSU and Lester in the BCS title game.

Will win another MNC as soon as our D is up to the task.

Sounds like we played a heck of a 4th quarter, maybe I shouldn't have gone to bed early.

westcoast_sooner
11/19/2007, 01:17 AM
I'm totally bummed about the outcome of last night's game. But when we were down big, this team could have quit, could have laid down and had half a hundred hung on them. They didn't. These guys fought back, probably for one of the first times this year, and nearly pulled even.

I hate losing. But I'm hoping this is a turning point for this team. It may show some of them how much desire and effort it will take to win Championships. I'm hoping we see some guys start getting vocal, showing a little leadership.

SoonerKnight
11/19/2007, 02:01 AM
I'm totally bummed about the outcome of last night's game. But when we were down big, this team could have quit, could have laid down and had half a hundred hung on them. They didn't. These guys fought back, probably for one of the first times this year, and nearly pulled even.

I hate losing. But I'm hoping this is a turning point for this team. It may show some of them how much desire and effort it will take to win Championships. I'm hoping we see some guys start getting vocal, showing a little leadership.

I thought this team showed heart and desire to win. We had some things go our way but ultimately it was not enough! I want us to beat the snot out of OSU and then spoil Kansas's title hopes. I want us to beat #2 Kansas and say see how we play when Sammy is not hurt. Oh and like Stoop's said hopefully our QB will not have to make tackles.