PDA

View Full Version : Was Kid Nichol Injured or In Stoops Doghouse?

CitySooner
11/18/2007, 02:55 PM
I hope Millionaire Bob will tell us Tuesday why he never gave Kid Nichol a shot. Was he injured? Was he in Stoops dog house for some reason? Why did he stay with Halzle who is one dimensional and struggled for the most of three quarters? Sure, Halzle played better in the fourth quarter, but it was too late! Both quarterbacks are inexperienced no doubt, but Nichol could have given our offense another wrinkle to help counter the loss of Bradford. Remember the third and goal from inside the five right before halftime? Of course the smart thing to have done was to have given the ball to Chris Brown and again on fourth down if necessary. Are you going to honestly say you were not yelling for them to run it? Instead Halzle threw a horrible pass into the end zone. I could not believe that our coaches would put Halzle in that pressure situation when we could have easily pounded the ball in on third and fourth downs. We needed a touchdown, not a pussified field goal! With Nichol in the line-up we could have powered the ball in or (God forbid!) ran a quarterback bootleg or option. Would Tech be expecting that? Hell no! What message do you send your team when you are getting your asses kicked and settle for a field goal going into halftime? Weren't you screaming these same things at the television as I was and all the others I was watching with? I would bet NONE OF YOU were saying, "Oh yeah, kick the field goal, lets get some points." Those three points did nothing for us. And even worse it did nothing to boost the players confidence in their coaches and themselves. I am sure Halzle is a fine young man and he played to the best of his abilities. But let's be honest about it. Halzle was recruited to be a practice quarterback. He is gone after a few more games. Nichol was recruited to be our future leader. Better to get him in the game now and see what he's got instead of playing it safe.

Stitch Face
11/18/2007, 02:59 PM
What a totally novel excuse for a thread! Here, have some more red.

Sooner24
11/18/2007, 03:08 PM
Boy you sure seem obsessed with how much Stoops makes.

Jealous much?

By the way why have you never posted any replies in this thread?

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103610

The_Red_Patriot
11/18/2007, 03:14 PM
BANE EM!!!

fadada1
11/18/2007, 03:22 PM
wanker.

probably a poke.

tommieharris91
11/18/2007, 03:27 PM
City, how are you still allowed to post?

mizzOUstu702
11/18/2007, 03:30 PM
First of all, I completely disagree with City--you're an idiot. Get over your own ineptness; "millionaire Bob"?! Are you kidding me? Are you not grateful for 2000 or all the Big 12 championships? Get a life.

Regarding the quarterback situation, however, I agree that Nichol *could* have been as rusty as Halzle looked in the first half, but to not experiment with him in the second quarter--when Joey's overthrowing 5 yard out routes and hitting the crowd through the back of the endzone--is just plain crazy. You really could not have done worse with either quarterback in there. At least Nichol has some mobility and a little pop in his throw. And I'm sorry, but Halzle couldn't look off any receiver to save his life.

Frozen Sooner
11/18/2007, 03:36 PM
Nichol is likely "injured" injured.

cs6000
11/18/2007, 03:39 PM
How's this theory: Halzle is an older, journeyman sort of guy, seen losses before, etc. If he goes in and gets clobbered, he'll get over it. Nichol is a kid fresh out of high school, a superstar whose last big loss was to Schnookeverville HS. Throw him out there among those tortilla flinging hillbillies?

King Crimson
11/18/2007, 03:44 PM
How's this theory: Halzle is an older, journeyman sort of guy, seen losses before, etc. If he goes in and gets clobbered, he'll get over it. Nichol is a kid fresh out of high school, a superstar whose last big loss was to Schnookeverville HS. Throw him out there among those tortilla flinging hillbillies?

pretty bad theory in my opinion.

coaches at the highest level don't throw away games/NC hopes on hoky psychology.

the loss ain't on Halzle.

josh09
11/18/2007, 04:21 PM
I hope Millionaire Bob will tell us Tuesday why he never gave Kid Nichol a shot. Was he injured? Was he in Stoops dog house for some reason? Why did he stay with Halzle who is one dimensional and struggled for the most of three quarters? Sure, Halzle played better in the fourth quarter, but it was too late! Both quarterbacks are inexperienced no doubt, but Nichol could have given our offense another wrinkle to help counter the loss of Bradford. Remember the third and goal from inside the five right before halftime? Of course the smart thing to have done was to have given the ball to Chris Brown and again on fourth down if necessary. Are you going to honestly say you were not yelling for them to run it? Instead Halzle threw a horrible pass into the end zone. I could not believe that our coaches would put Halzle in that pressure situation when we could have easily pounded the ball in on third and fourth downs. We needed a touchdown, not a pussified field goal! With Nichol in the line-up we could have powered the ball in or (God forbid!) ran a quarterback bootleg or option. Would Tech be expecting that? Hell no! What message do you send your team when you are getting your asses kicked and settle for a field goal going into halftime? Weren't you screaming these same things at the television as I was and all the others I was watching with? I would bet NONE OF YOU were saying, "Oh yeah, kick the field goal, lets get some points." Those three points did nothing for us. And even worse it did nothing to boost the players confidence in their coaches and themselves. I am sure Halzle is a fine young man and he played to the best of his abilities. But let's be honest about it. Halzle was recruited to be a practice quarterback. He is gone after a few more games. Nichol was recruited to be our future leader. Better to get him in the game now and see what he's got instead of playing it safe.

Im not gonna lie, your pretty annoying

jdsooner
11/18/2007, 04:27 PM
I hope I never have to sit next to you at an OU game!

En_Fuego
11/18/2007, 04:27 PM
I thought Hazle played excellent in the 4th. If the Officials called the TD then Hazle would be a Sooner Legend.

HAZLE didnt play DEFENSE

jdsooner
11/18/2007, 04:28 PM
And, while you're at it, why don't you admit that you are jealous because Bob has a good looking wife?

Theskipster
11/18/2007, 04:28 PM
If there is any downside to having Millionaire Stoops as a coach, it is all the moronic bandwagon t-shirt fans like citysooner that become Sooner fans while OU is good.

kevpks
11/18/2007, 04:38 PM
How many elite D-1 coaches aren't millionaires? I am sure we could fire Bob and hire a cheaper coach. We could pay him in rolls of nickels and cases of Jack Daniels, but I would rather not relive 1995.

SoonerMom2
11/18/2007, 04:40 PM
If Nichols stays 'injured' then he hasn't burned his red shirt as he only came in for spot backup. That's my guess and would be smart on the part of Bob Stoops.

Don't care what he makes as he brought OU back to where we do play for championships. Some people that didn't sit through the dark days of the 96, 97, and 98 seasons don't have a clue about what it was like to go to game after game figuring it was a loss. Appreciate Bob Stoops and what he has accomplished.

RedstickSooner
11/18/2007, 04:45 PM
This whole deal is why all of our players need to wear those dark-tinted fasemask things, unless they've been banned.

That way, when the starting QB goes down, we can send Heupel back to the dressing room to "comfort" the dude, along with whichever QB is closest to Heupel in physical dimension. Heupel suits up, wearing that number, and comes out to lead the offense from the field. Especially with the line we've got this year, dude doesn't need any mobility or anything. And I'm sure he's still got that defense-reading talent, as well as his superhuman ability to adjust at the line.

Solves all our problems. I mean, why have him on the payroll, if we're not going to *truly* use him?

sanantoniosooner
11/18/2007, 04:49 PM
yeah, nobody would noticed Sam came out of the locker room suddenly left-handed.

tommieharris91
11/18/2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the grey spek, n00b.

LosAngelesSooner
11/18/2007, 05:40 PM
Yet another thread where you refer to him as "Millionaire Bob?"

BANE THE TROLL.

85sooners
11/18/2007, 05:45 PM
yeah, nobody would noticed Sam came out of the locker room suddenly left-handed.:eek:

stoopified
11/18/2007, 05:49 PM
And, while you're at it, why don't you admit that you are jealous because Bob has a good looking wife?
If he won't admit it,I will. :) On top of that she makes good money selling Mary Kay.Looks and money =my kind of woman.

bluedogok
11/18/2007, 06:37 PM
This whole deal is why all of our players need to wear those dark-tinted fasemask things, unless they've been banned.
They are only allowed if you have a medical condition that requires it, something like a doctor diagnosed sensitivity to light.

GottaHavePride
11/18/2007, 06:56 PM
It is also entirely possible that had we put Nichol in the game he could have gotten rattled by the crowd, thrown three INTs, fumbled the ball while getting sacked, and made the situation much, much, worse.

Hindsight arguments are pointless and - to add to a recurring theme on this board right now - retarded.