PDA

View Full Version : GuyMo Officially Fired

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2007, 02:51 PM
I know you all have other things to talk about (like who your next coach should be :rolleyes: ), but here is some news from around the conference.

Guy Morriss was officially fired today:
http://baylorbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111807aab.html

King Crimson
11/18/2007, 02:56 PM
it's kinda too bad, i think two years ago was the make or breakout year for Guy. a couple breaks here and there and BU is bowl eligible. i think he's a pretty good coach all things being equal....you lose OT games in College Station and Norman and last year when the QB gets hurt. tough to win at a private school in the South division Texas.

so who's it gonna be, Singletary? the former player thing has more precedent of failure than success IMO.

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2007, 03:07 PM
it's kinda too bad, i think two years ago was the make or breakout year for Guy. a couple breaks here and there and BU is bowl eligible. i think he's a pretty good coach all things being equal....you lose OT games in College Station and Norman and last year when the QB gets hurt. tough to win at a private school in the South division Texas.

so who's it gonna be, Singletary? the former player thing has more precedent of failure than success IMO.

Supposedly a deal is being worked on with Houston Nutt. Around campus, I hear Singletary who is definitely the popular choice, but there's a lot of conflicting information on the innertubewebs about Nutt.

Here is my theory based on what has gone down the last few days:

I think Baylor, informally through either reps of the BOR or FOB (Friends of Baylor), reached out to Singletary to discuss what it would take to get him to coach here were the spot to become vacant. I think there may have been some back and forth and at some point Singletary indicated, for whatever reason, that he may not take the job.

At that point, we reached out to Nutt's agent who we already know has indicated Nutt's desire to come here and started working out a preliminary deal. All the while, it appeared more and more evident that Singletary wouldn't come and that a deal would need to be reached with Nutt.

Now, the Arkansas media gets wind that Nutt would definitely be leaving but that information was due to Nutt's resignation to take the Baylor job and not necessarily indicative that his firing is eminent. So, they released a story that Nutt had reached a deal with Baylor the night before last.

At some point in the last couple of days, I would guess that Singletary changed his mind or a deal was able to be worked out with him and he tentatively accepted the position requiring Baylor to inform Nutt and/or his agent of this fact.

The result is that today you have this article with Nutt denying that he's leaving because he assumed he'd be resigning to take the Baylor job and still doesn't believe (or want to admit) that he'll be fired at the end of the season.

With all the conflicting information floating around out there, that scenario above is the only one that seems to make any sense to me.

badger
11/18/2007, 03:14 PM
Methinks Miss Arkansas Piggy will be telling Kermit the Frog... er, Houston the Nutt the following...

Houston the Nutt: I'm sorry, Miss Piggy, but you are far too controlling. I've decided to start dating the Bernstein Bears instead.

Miss Piggy: YOU CAN'T DUMP ME! I JUST DUMPED YOU! Nyah, nyah.

And thus, Arkansas will fire Houston the Nutt before Houston the Nutt gets to embarrass the piggies again.

Ooooo.... pig sooie.

King Crimson
11/18/2007, 03:20 PM
if i were a Baylor guy, i can't say i'd be real excited by Houston Nutt in general. and all the Mustain/Malzahn stuff.

what is Singletary doing that it's better than coaching at BU? i thought he was humping the end of the couch to take the BU job?

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2007, 03:24 PM
if i were a Baylor guy, i can't say i'd be real excited by Houston Nutt in general. and all the Mustain/Malzahn stuff.

what is Singletary doing that it's better than coaching at BU? i thought he was humping the end of the couch to take the BU job?

He's the LB's Coach with the 49ers, but there's a chance he may be out of a job if they fire their HC at the end of the season. He supposedly wants a HC job in the NFL and may be holding out for that. He did want the job 5 years ago, but Baylor turned him down because of a lack of experience.

I have serious doubts about his coaching ability since there isn't much evidence of it, but he'd definitely be a great motivator and I have no doubt he'd work his *** off to see that we succeed. Having said that, he's a huge huge gamble.

I definitely don't want Nutt but the one benefit there is that he at least has plenty of experience at running a Div. I program.

Newbomb Turk
11/18/2007, 03:30 PM
http://www.woopig.net/images/nutt/lolnutt_baylor.jpg

tulsaoilerfan
11/18/2007, 03:34 PM
I don't think anyone can win consistently at Baylor

badger
11/18/2007, 03:37 PM
I have no doubt he'd work his *** off to see that we succeed.
Careful, SicEm. We all know Phil Fulmer and Mike Gundy want their programs to succeed, also. They, too, are alumni of their *cough**hack**gag**coughagain* respective *cough* programs.

However, as much as they want their own programs to succeed, they also want donuts and hair gel. Tell me, what is Singletary's donut/hair gel? If it's San Francisco-style marriages, Baylor is definitely not a good place to go :D:D:D

OklaPony
11/18/2007, 04:00 PM
My Baylor-grad brother and I were having this conversation last night. I just find it hard to believe that the powers that be at Baylor think that Nutt would be a good fit, it just doesn't seem to be a good match to me. I think a good candidate for Baylor would be Larry Coker.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2007, 04:02 PM
BRING BACK KEVIN STEELE

Texas Golfer
11/18/2007, 04:06 PM

I was at the Baylor/OSU game last night and the talk is Houston Nutt will be Baylor's new HC.

OklaPony
11/18/2007, 04:08 PM
Houston Nutt will be Baylor's new HC. You heard it here first.
Ummm... no, actually I heard it last night from my brother. I'm not gonna take any of it as gospel until it actually happens.

Chuck Bao
11/18/2007, 04:20 PM
I agree that Houston Nutt is not a good match for Baylor.

I'm still hoping for Singletary even if his chances for success would be a long shot. Well, it's a long shot anyway, regardless of who we have as coach.

We need someone to compete in recruiting talent and someone to motivate our players and fans. Singletary, in my opinion, is the best choice.

Maybe the Nutt talk was a negotiation tactic with Singletary. Anyway, I'm a hoping.

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2007, 04:25 PM
Careful, SicEm. We all know Phil Fulmer and Mike Gundy want their programs to succeed, also. They, too, are alumni of their *cough**hack**gag**coughagain* respective *cough* programs.

However, as much as they want their own programs to succeed, they also want donuts and hair gel. Tell me, what is Singletary's donut/hair gel? If it's San Francisco-style marriages, Baylor is definitely not a good place to go :D:D:D

He's ultra-religious and an ordained minister. That could be a positive in recruiting, but I'm scared it may also hurt. Recruits are signing up to attend and play for the university -- not attend Sunday school.

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2007, 04:26 PM
BRING BACK KEVIN STEELE
I ought to neg the **** out of you for saying that.

;)

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2007, 04:29 PM
I ought to neg the **** out of you for saying that.

;)

oh come on...he was ok wasnt he? he just didnt know when to tell his quarterback to take a knee

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2007, 04:34 PM
oh come on...he was ok wasnt he? he just didnt know when to tell his quarterback to take a knee

He didnt' know how to tell his quarterback anything. Hell, he didn't know how to tell any of the players, assistant coaches, or fans anything either.

He was utterly and totally useless. The symbol of Kevin Steele is when we got blown out by UT one year (that doesn't exactly narrow the list) and he lays his head on Mack's shoulder appearing to cry while Mack pats him lovinginly on his bald head.

My left nut produces more testosterone in one day than both of his have in a life time.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2007, 04:38 PM
He didnt' know how to tell his quarterback anything. Hell, he didn't know how to tell any of the players, assistant coaches, or fans anything either.

He was utterly and totally useless. The symbol of Kevin Steele is when we got blown out by UT one year (that doesn't exactly narrow the list) and he lays his head on Mack's shoulder appearing to cry while Mack pats him lovinginly on his bald head.

My left nut produces more testosterone in one day than both of his have in a life time.

Lol...I guess my memory of him is against UNLV? when they go for the score instead of taking the knee and they fumble and the other team runs it 99 yards..I think Baylor could have started 2-0 that year

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2007, 04:39 PM
Lol...I guess my memory of him is against UNLV? when they go for the score instead of taking the knee and they fumble and the other team runs it 99 yards..I think Baylor could have started 2-0 that year

Yeah, that's just another great example of his ineptness. It really was down hill from that. He was a vegetarian you know.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2007, 04:41 PM
Yeah...I d love for Baylor to get to 6 wins and get in a bowl and I thought that was the year they would do it.

badger
11/18/2007, 05:50 PM
do you still have your "new guy in town" shirt? :D

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2007, 05:58 PM
do you still have your "new guy in town" shirt? :D
Hah, no. They did have those though.

I wish him the absolute best. I think he's a decent coach who suffered from some bad luck, a few bad decisions, and our administration not living up to its promises.

bluedogok
11/18/2007, 06:05 PM
Kevin Steele @ Baylor=Keith Burns @ Tulsa
Both pathetic examples of head coaches. Didn't Steele get slapped around by some of his players in the NFL?

I would think the Hogs just want Nutt gone, after all since Broyles retired his protector is gone.

badger
11/18/2007, 06:08 PM
Hah, no. They did have those though.

I wish him the absolute best. I think he's a decent coach who suffered from some bad luck, a few bad decisions, and our administration not living up to its promises.
I know. A few guys a few years back, including my future husband, skipped out on a conference at Baylor we were all supposed to faithfully attend. Of course, the boys decided to watch the green/gold football scrimmage instead, where they gave away "new guy in town" 7up t-shirts.

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2007, 03:12 AM
Singletary has turned us down.
http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sports/story/316552.html

King Crimson
11/22/2007, 04:45 AM
sounds like singletary worked Baylor. and BU people believed in him too much.

i think Guy is better than anyone else BU will get. i think he's one game from being bowl eligible in 05...with OT losses at ATM and Owen Field.

and that would have pushed him over top (for a little while, at least). QB gets hurt last year.