PDA

View Full Version : OU Coaches Are Way Overated (and overpaid)

CitySooner
11/18/2007, 11:18 AM
Hats off to the young men in Crimson last night for not giving up like a Cornsucker as they easily could have. However, I can't say the same for our coaching staff. Championship calliber teams have championship calliber coaches. We have the players, but not the coaches. The mighty Sooners could have easily stayed in the game and pulled out the victory if our coaches had a clue.

The ineptness of our coaching staff was exposed on the national stage last night. With everything on the line and our players giving it their all in adverse conditions, you would think our coaches would give them the opportunity to use their talents to lead this team to victory. But as usual Millionaire Bob finds a way to lose to another inferior team. You saw what transpired on the field:

400 yards allowed in the first half.
Forcing an experienced quarterback to make plays on crucial short yardarge downs intead of giving the ball to your short yardarge first down specialitst (Chris Brown?).

I am looking forward to Bob's press conference Tuesday. You know what will transpire. He will blame the players (turnovers and penalties), he will act like an *** when someone asks him a tough question, and he will absolutely not blame himself or any of his coaches.

Championship calliber head coaches have championship size nuggets. (Les Miles anybody?)
Kicking field goals when we should be pounding it in the end zone.
Not putting in the more athletic quarteback who can run and make plays instead of leaving the one in who stands flat footed and gets sacked.
No man coverage on the number one reciever in the country.

I know a little something about taking risks to become successful. Sometimes you have to if you want to reach the next level. I'm afraid Millionaire Bob doesn't. Our mighty Sooners might still make the Fiesta Bowl, but I hope the following week Mister Stoops will be paying close attention and taking notes on how to coach like a champion while watching LSU win the national championship.

Go ahead and give me neg and throw insults if that makes you feel good about yourself. But, next week our mighty Sooners will still be coached by Millionaire Bob instead of the once revered and eroneously labeled 'Riverboat Bob'.

CitySooner
11/18/2007, 11:20 AM
Correction: Paragraph three should read: "Forcing an INEXPERIENCED quarterback"

getrdone
11/18/2007, 11:33 AM
I agree with you, but we did play some man coverage last night, just not like we should have.

wishbonesooner
11/18/2007, 11:36 AM
There is no other coach I'd want to be here than Bob Stoops, his record shows he is a great coach. I do think he's changed though. He's a very conservative, play not to lose coach these days, far removed from the swashbuckling, go for broke guy he was at first. I could not make my living coaching, I'm not football savvy enough. But Bob is without a doubt a different coach than he used to be. I'll leave it up to you experts as to whether that's good or bad.

birddog
11/18/2007, 11:39 AM
Correction: Paragraph three should read: "Forcing an INEXPERIENCED quarterback"
you know you can self-edit that, right?

Johnny Utah
11/18/2007, 11:43 AM
Another correction: Paragraph two should read: "The ineptness of our coaching staff was exposed on the national stage last night AGAIN".

jdsooner
11/18/2007, 11:44 AM
Perhaps you would prefer Blake or ***************?

jbstrick
11/18/2007, 11:45 AM
Completely useless. (I am referring to the original post) :pop:

insuranceman_22
11/18/2007, 11:45 AM
While I won't go anywhere near as far as this, I do think we made some coaching error last night. The D regroup in the 2nd half and played well, but the 1 st half killed us. What I can't understand is why we continued to try and throw the ball in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. DM & CB were gained nice chunks of yardage, if we had given then a steady diet of carries the D may have had a better 2nd Q and we may have put more TDs on the board. This was a bad loss........ Oh well, I'd still stay with Stoops and Co., they've proven themselves for the better part of the last decade, go Boomer Sooner.

fadada1
11/18/2007, 11:52 AM
Perhaps you would prefer Blake or ***************?
NO S**T!!!!

those were a fun 4 years.

any of you fu*ksticks that think stoops isn't doing his job (and doing it well) need to be keelhauled. 10 years ago we would've had 90 scored on us. anytime (this year) you think stoops isn't doing a good job, take a look at college football this year.

mark mangino is the only coach doing an excellent, all-around coaching job this year. nick saban was suppose to be the second coming of bear bryant. losing to LA-monroe is embarrasing. lloyd carr lost to a 1AA team. tressel choked against an much more inferior opponet. the defending national champion has lost 3 times.

what, exactly, do you think stoops should do???

batonrougesooner
11/18/2007, 11:53 AM
Stoops has gotten much more conservative, I agree.

There's still no one I'd rather have as head coach though.

josh09
11/18/2007, 11:54 AM
Are you kidding me?

Bob Stoops has given us a 9-2 record, something many teams would die for. Sure, we didnt play very well for 3/4 of the game last night, but what do you expect when our QB, the leader in passing efficiency, goes down on the first offensive play? I think it affected the whole teams attitude to a certain point.

As for your rant on Bob, maybe you've forgotten that he has made Oklahoma the WINNINGEST team since 2000, which is pretty much his whole career, besides '99.

He has also brought us a National Title, plus a couple more visits to NC's, 4 Big XII titles, and maybe 5 if we can get our heads on straight this year.

No team can be perfect all the time though, as we watched last night. But i still stand strongly behind our coach.

SoonerGM
11/18/2007, 11:59 AM
im tired of these fools constantly dissing our coaching staff. our winning percentage is abnormally good, it's like a video game stat. additionally, that game last night was robbed from us. if you went to the game, i dont know, maybe you couldnt see that. i got to see it on tv with all the replays. i think we could have ran it a bit more, but we legitimatly did enough to win that game.

yermom
11/18/2007, 11:59 AM
i was surprised to not see Murray getting any more direct snaps after Bradford went down

and they didn't have balls? really? i seem to remember some downfield passes 3rd and 1, and Halzle going deep early, and an apparently botched fake punt

i was glad to see them not go into a shell and just run, but it seems it took too long to get the TEs into the game

if Halzle plays a hair better, we win. if we don't get all the penalties we probably win

bred24
11/18/2007, 12:02 PM
BBJ needs to go he is a joke! But if you notice every time the show OU's sideline BBj has his head up Bob's ***!!! Our secondary is terrible it's like they don't know what's going on back there. And that is coaching.

Doged
11/18/2007, 12:02 PM
But as usual Millionaire Bob finds a way to lose to another inferior team.

Criticize all you want, it's your right. But expect to be called on it when you make ignorant statements that invalidate your entire post.

"As usual" means more often than not. However, it's a fact that Bob Stoops has one of the highest winning percentages in the nation making you, sir, a blithering idiot. Have a nice day.

josh09
11/18/2007, 12:03 PM
i was surprised to not see Murray getting any more direct snaps after Bradford went down

and they didn't have balls? really? i seem to remember some downfield passes 3rd and 1, and Halzle going deep early, and an apparently botched fake punt

i was glad to see them not go into a shell and just run, but it seems it took too long to get the TEs into the game

if Halzle plays a hair better, we win. if we don't get all the penalties we probably win

Halzle played much better than i expected him to, after he got settled down and focused. I was proud of him.

LSUdeek
11/18/2007, 12:04 PM
Am I in the twilight zone... where an OU fan posts a thread about Bob Stoops taking notes while a Miles-coached team wins the national championship?

batonrougesooner
11/18/2007, 12:05 PM
BBJ needs to go he is a joke! But if you notice every time the show OU's sideline BBj has his head up Bob's ***!!! Our secondary is terrible it's like they don't know what's going on back there. And that is coaching.

What does Bob Barry Jr. have to do with this?

bred24
11/18/2007, 12:07 PM
What does Bob Barry Jr. have to do with this?

Oh man LOL!!!!!!!!! I meant to type BJW. Sorry BBJ!

CitySooner
11/18/2007, 12:09 PM
I am not saying Stoops needs to be replaced or that he is not a good coach. But at times he is too consevative for the teams good. I think he may have become a little to comfy making the mega bucks and needs a little refresher course on what it takes to be a NATIONAL CHAMPION instead of just a conference champion. Isn't that what being a SOONER is all about? Or are we just happy going to a BCS bowl and talking about next year? Maybe you are, but not me.

Indy Sooner
11/18/2007, 12:21 PM
While I won't go anywhere near as far as this, I do think we made some coaching error last night. The D regroup in the 2nd half and played well, but the 1 st half killed us. What I can't understand is why we continued to try and throw the ball in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. DM & CB were gained nice chunks of yardage, if we had given then a steady diet of carries the D may have had a better 2nd Q and we may have put more TDs on the board. This was a bad loss........

Speaking of coaching errors, and I'm sure this was covered in the game thread, but since the board was essentially unavailable during that time I can't confirm, the decision in the first quarter to decline the 10-yard penalty which kept Tech in FG range (3 points were converted) was quite puzzling.

OKC-SLC
11/18/2007, 12:22 PM
You lost all credibility when you alleged that Les Miles is a championship caliber coach.

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2007, 12:24 PM
I'm afraid to say that some of you have lost your mind.

Breadburner
11/18/2007, 12:28 PM
We were 1 or 2 plays away from an ugly win.....Although there is blame to be laid you can make a **** sandwhich out of it and everyone has to take a bite.......One thing that irks me is.....If your faking a punt how does the guy the ball is gong to have no idea it's coming.......When did they call that play on the sideline or after the punt team was on the field.....I also thought the O-line could have played better....This team continues to be un-focused and inconsistent during games (see the break-downs on pass coverage)......I do think Halzle did a good job after he got a few plays under his belt but the play-calling for him at times was suspect....Like I said everyone has to take a bite out of this one.....We did have some nice returns and Hartley did a good job kicking......I forgot to mention on the on-sides kick at the end the guys did not put to much effort into getting that ball.....

TUSooner
11/18/2007, 12:37 PM
I am not saying Stoops needs to be replaced or that he is not a good coach. But at times he is too consevative for the teams good. I think he may have become a little to comfy making the mega bucks and needs a little refresher course on what it takes to be a NATIONAL CHAMPION instead of just a conference champion. Isn't that what being a SOONER is all about? Or are we just happy going to a BCS bowl and talking about next year? Maybe you are, but not me.
You don't know WTF you mean.
You're just another angry fan who needs somebody to blame.

Just A Visitor Here
11/18/2007, 12:37 PM
Speaking for about 100 of the other 115 teams, we'll take Stoops off your hands if you're so unhappy.

tulsaoilerfan
11/18/2007, 12:38 PM
Instead of faking the punt, why not just line up in the I formation and run a play? It was only 4th and 1; that play to me was the biggest coaching mistake in the game

Indy Sooner
11/18/2007, 12:39 PM
additionally, that game last night was robbed from us. if you went to the game, i dont know, maybe you couldnt see that. i got to see it on tv with all the replays. i think we could have ran it a bit more, but we legitimatly did enough to win that game.

Not last night. The questionable calls and the replay screwing I will give you but the team was out-executed and lacked comparative fire until the point of desperation was reached-- not a winning formula for a road game in the Big 12.

The_Red_Patriot
11/18/2007, 12:49 PM
Hats off to the young men in Crimson last night for not giving up like a Cornsucker as they easily could have. However, I can't say the same for our coaching staff. Championship calliber teams have championship calliber coaches. We have the players, but not the coaches. The mighty Sooners could have easily stayed in the game and pulled out the victory if our coaches had a clue.

The ineptness of our coaching staff was exposed on the national stage last night. With everything on the line and our players giving it their all in adverse conditions, you would think our coaches would give them the opportunity to use their talents to lead this team to victory. But as usual Millionaire Bob finds a way to lose to another inferior team. You saw what transpired on the field:

400 yards allowed in the first half.
Forcing an experienced quarterback to make plays on crucial short yardarge downs intead of giving the ball to your short yardarge first down specialitst (Chris Brown?).

I am looking forward to Bob's press conference Tuesday. You know what will transpire. He will blame the players (turnovers and penalties), he will act like an *** when someone asks him a tough question, and he will absolutely not blame himself or any of his coaches.

Championship calliber head coaches have championship size nuggets. (Les Miles anybody?)
Kicking field goals when we should be pounding it in the end zone.
Not putting in the more athletic quarteback who can run and make plays instead of leaving the one in who stands flat footed and gets sacked.
No man coverage on the number one reciever in the country.

I know a little something about taking risks to become successful. Sometimes you have to if you want to reach the next level. I'm afraid Millionaire Bob doesn't. Our mighty Sooners might still make the Fiesta Bowl, but I hope the following week Mister Stoops will be paying close attention and taking notes on how to coach like a champion while watching LSU win the national championship.

Go ahead and give me neg and throw insults if that makes you feel good about yourself. But, next week our mighty Sooners will still be coached by Millionaire Bob instead of the once revered and eroneously labeled 'Riverboat Bob'.

http://www.blitzt.com/files/Your_a_fag.jpg

Thats the picture I get in my head when I read this POS thread.

GET OFF THE BANDWAGON YOU JUMPED ON AFTER 2000.

possumfat
11/18/2007, 12:52 PM
The level of coaching and intelligence has suffered since the departing of Mike Stoops, Leach and Mangino. Those three guys coached with enthusiam and passion..............current assisitants including Mr. Stoops current coaching style has gotten very conservative and vanila.

I long for the days of losing a game because we pulled out all the stops to win, played with emotion and got jacked up when we had a great play.

Now its "taking care of business", "robotic"..........this is a game, its not life and death by any means but emotion and enthusiam plus making the best decisions are key factors to winning...................just don't see that like we did in the early days of the Stoops era.

Sometimes change is good, not sure what that change is but a little shake up or something needs to happen to maximize the talent that abounds in Norman.

11/18/2007, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure about the coaching - gambles either make you a goat or a hero, but not a good or bad coach. What I'd like to know is why Stoops' teams seem to ALWAYS struggle on the road in hostile environments. LSU, Alabama, A&M...it's happened before. Don't tell me TU and Texas in Dallas were "road" games...the first of this kind was Colorado and look what happened. Then, Iowa State, and look what happened. Finally, the whole damn floor collapsed in Lubbock. Another game in New Orleans against LSU would have been a repeat. Why can't Stoops' teams win on the road is the more to the point question.

UTsucks
11/18/2007, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure about the coaching - gambles either make you a goat or a hero, but not a good or bad coach. What I'd like to know is why Stoops' teams seem to ALWAYS struggle on the road in hostile environments. LSU, Alabama, A&M...it's happened before. Don't tell me TU and Texas in Dallas were "road" games...the first of this kind was Colorado and look what happened. Then, Iowa State, and look what happened. Finally, the whole damn floor collapsed in Lubbock. Another game in New Orleans against LSU would have been a repeat. Why can't Stoops' teams win on the road is the more to the point question.

I agree......Why can't Bobby win on the road? Norman record speaks for itself. Road and BCS that's another.
:texan:

85Sooner
11/18/2007, 01:39 PM
Stoops has gotten much more conservative, I agree.

There's still no one I'd rather have as head coach though.

Thats my thought. I can't think of anyone I would rather have, just wish he (they) the coaching staff,would grow some gonads and show that desire he had when he first came here.

Big Red Ron
11/18/2007, 01:50 PM
I bet you have a tiny penis.

11/18/2007, 01:51 PM
So .... anyone.... is Stoops actually a different coach on the road vs. at home?

Big Red Ron
11/18/2007, 01:53 PM
So .... anyone.... is Stoops actually a different coach on the road vs. at home?Are you actually stupid. Look it up for yourself **** head.

CitySooner
11/18/2007, 01:58 PM
http://www.blitzt.com/files/Your_a_fag.jpg

Thats the picture I get in my head when I read this POS thread.

GET OFF THE BANDWAGON YOU JUMPED ON AFTER 2000.

Thats the picture you have next to your bed. How else would you have it?

SoonerTerry
11/18/2007, 02:02 PM
It's threads like this that make me wish my negspek was strong like a banhammer..:mad:

Take your wagon and go play in traffic.

Stitch Face
11/18/2007, 02:03 PM
So .... anyone.... is Stoops actually a different coach on the road vs. at home?

Lycos is still around? Crazy.

Sincerely,

[email protected]

Desert Sapper
11/18/2007, 02:03 PM
Sam Bradford doesn't go out in the first quarter, and we win by 3 or more TDs. Joey Halzle took a while to warm up, but damn am I proud of the way he played in the 4th quarter. We finally have a competent backup, and he proved it at the end of that game. Our D played an excellent football game after they figured out how to contain Crabtree. That pass to to MJ was a TD, and John Bible stole it (and he knows it). Given that we lost the QB with the best Passing Eff. Rating in the country in the first quarter, and spotted Tech 27 points, I can't say I feel so bad losing on the road by a TD. One way or another, the future looks good. We have a good chance at home against osu. We can play with KU or Mizzou. If we can break the odd-years curse and win the Big XII this year, I'll be very, very happy.

And Lester Miles is a jackass. He has won on luck more than anything this year (the Auburn 'cojones' TD, when it was obvious he didn't have a clue he almost ran out of time), and his Tigers looked like *** this week against Ole Miss.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

SoonerGirl06
11/18/2007, 02:04 PM
It is so easy to sit in the comfort of your lazy boy, drinking your brew and criticize the coaching staff to oblivion. I'd like to see some of you morons handle the situation better than our coaching staff did.

If you don't like the play calling, the way the team played then fine. But to act like a complete imbicile about it is stupid and I have three words to say to you:

Get a life.

CitySooner
11/18/2007, 02:04 PM
I bet you have a tiny penis.
With a statement like that you must have penises on your mind quite often.

SoonerTerry
11/18/2007, 02:07 PM
Really city... go play in traffic

It would be safer by comparison

11/18/2007, 02:07 PM
It is so easy to sit in the comfort of your lazy boy, drinking your brew and criticize the coaching staff to oblivion. I'd like to see some of you morons handle the situation better than our coaching staff did.

If you don't like the play calling, the way the team played then fine. But to act like a complete imbicile about it is stupid and I have three words to say to you:

Get a life.

Hon, I'm not suggesting I could have made a better decision. But I am suggesting that SOME OTHER COACHES might do a better job of winning road games.

zeke
11/18/2007, 02:08 PM
I'll take Bob Stoops over anyone else thats out there

Curly Bill
11/18/2007, 02:11 PM
That pass to to MJ was a TD, and John Bible stole it (and he knows it).

You are aware that Bible did not make the initial call on that play, nor was he in the replay booth? Besides that, if you look at he rules of college football the receiver must retain possession of the ball upon landing on the ground, which Manual obviously did not do. I wish it weren't so, because I like blaming the officials as much as the next guy, but this loss has nothing to do with the officiating.

SoonerTerry
11/18/2007, 02:12 PM
Dear mods,

ooooo what a pretty banhammer you have!>!>!

Can I play with it for a minute?

Sincerly,
SoonerTerry..

PS: I'll wash the blood off when I'm done.. TYIA

mdklatt
11/18/2007, 02:14 PM
What I'd like to know is why Stoops' teams seem to ALWAYS struggle on the road in hostile environments.

Preach it brother. We are the OKLAHOMA SOONERS. "Hostile environment" only applies to lesser teams, i.e. every other team in the country. All other teams should just lay down before us. Nobody else's starters could even crack our three-deep. It's ridiculous that we can't win with a backup QB who has seen plenty of playing time this year. He's been in what, 2-3 series before last night? Come on Halzle, get with the program! He's not entirely to blame, of course. How dare Texas Tech challenge us? WE ARE A TEAM OF DESTINY! THERE IS ONLY ONE OKLAHOMA! BOW DOWN BEFORE US!

mdklatt
11/18/2007, 02:16 PM
But I am suggesting that SOME OTHER COACHES might do a better job of winning road games.

Give us a list so we know who to go after when Stoops gets run out of town.

stoopified
11/18/2007, 02:22 PM
Anyone who wants Bob fired is an IDIOT.

bred24
11/18/2007, 02:31 PM
Dear mods,

ooooo what a pretty banhammer you have!>!>!

Can I play with it for a minute?

Sincerly,
SoonerTerry..

PS: I'll wash the blood off when I'm done.. TYIA

Quit being a wuss!! Just because there's different opinions on how bad our coaching is doesn't mean to ban someone. Some of you need to toughen up a bit!

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2007, 02:32 PM
We'll take him.

Some of you people need to get a little perspective here. OU has been put in the position of at least making a run for the MNC nearly every year that he has been coach. I don't know who the hell you think you're going to get in this country that can do that. Honestly, who the hell would you go after?

Football is a game and nobody is invincible. Losses happen and while they are never fun (and trust me I know), they're part of the game.

If you want to know what REAL problems are then trade places with us for a day. Seriously. Anyone who even hints that Stoops should be fired needs to be taken out to the South Oval and publicly flogged.

Idiots.

SoonerGirl06
11/18/2007, 02:33 PM
Amen Brother SicEm. Amen.

bred24
11/18/2007, 02:36 PM
Would we take Gary Gibbs??? He went 9-2

SoonerTerry
11/18/2007, 02:40 PM
Quit being a wuss!! Just because there's different opinions on how bad our coaching is doesn't mean to ban someone. Some of you need to toughen up a bit!

Thats great advise.. For people that think the coaching staff should be fired after a loss..

Get the hell over it.. its part of the game

Animal Mother
11/18/2007, 02:43 PM
You are aware that Bible did not make the initial call on that play, nor was he in the replay booth? Besides that, if you look at he rules of college football the receiver must retain possession of the ball upon landing on the ground, which Manual obviously did not do. I wish it weren't so, because I like blaming the officials as much as the next guy, but this loss has nothing to do with the officiating.

Thanks for being the voice of reason C Bill. I've been saying that about the rule since the play happened. We have to quit whining about refs. If anything, you would have to think they were gunning for Leach not helping him after his tirade. He has no yank with anyone. It was a team loss as any win is a team victory.

GottaHavePride
11/18/2007, 02:47 PM
and with that, I believe this thread has outlived its usefulness.