PDA

View Full Version : Why Didn't we run more?!?!?

AZSOONER
11/18/2007, 10:24 AM
I was suprised that when Bradford went out we went right to the pass. Why bring your backup into a game your behind in and start throwing the ball? We still were dominating the run, and when we finally did start running and would pick up 8 yards on first we would throw throw and punt. I'm not calling for anyones job, and you can get mad at me for being upset, but that's what these boards are for. I expected to see it posted already, but I didn't so I'll post it. We settled for 2 field goals when we were inside the 10 that in my opinion if we considered it 4 down territory and just pounded the ball I'm confident we would have punched both of them in. Instead we tried passing with a 2nd string QB with the field shortened. Not to mention we would have controlled the clock and rested our D. It looked like we were going to start running in the 2nd, first down we picked up a few, 2nd a few more and on third Halzle tripped and his knee was down before he was able to hand the ball off. So punt and start running the next time, but instead it looked like we abandoned the run. We had plenty of time to get back in the game.JMHO.

Katy's Most Wanted
11/18/2007, 10:35 AM
I posted the same type of question earlier, but since it is deemed heretical to question anyone, coaches or otherwise, it didn't make the post.
you are exactly correct. in fact i posted during the game that Paul McGuire said immediately after the second set of downs with Joey that he was shocked that we weren't running the ball.
Go figure.
Kevin Wilson and Venables have got to go!!!

OUHOMER
11/18/2007, 10:39 AM
I asked the same question 50 times last night

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2007, 10:42 AM
Kevin Wilson and Venables have got to go!!!

Its not questioning that is so bad but its ridiculous statements like that..Chuck Long had to go...Mike Stoops had to go......BJW has to go......Bo Pellini had to go....The kid that didnt hear me say I wanted one of those frozen lemonaids in the stands has to go...

AZSOONER
11/18/2007, 10:51 AM
Well at least I'm not alone then. I mean I understand I'm not a coach, and there are usually 2 or 3 sides to every question, this to me seemed to be a no brainer though and it was soooo frustrating last night thinking "well, next possesion we'll committ to the run" and never see us do it. Not to mention seeing Tech go for it on 4th down so much and I understand this is a fan thing, but I wanted to see us go for it on 4th and short a couple times. I thought "If we can't pick up a yard here we don't deserve to win anyway" I don't mind the losing as much as I do the way we lost.

stoopified
11/18/2007, 11:00 AM
Maybe beacuse we trailed 27-10 at half?

Flagstaffsooner
11/18/2007, 11:03 AM
In 1985 when Aikman went down, we went to the run....the Bone. As the King said, "Dance with the girl with what brought you."
But that's neither here or there. Different times and different teams. I'm not going to second guess the coaching staff. Maybe they felt that Halzle would find his grove with the pass as he did, albeit too late.

AZSOONER
11/18/2007, 11:17 AM
Maybe beacuse we trailed 27-10 at half?
We trailed 13-7 after the first quarter and this is when I started getting frustrated. We had plenty of time, the game wasn't out of hand, we could have controlled the clock, and after the running game was going (which I truely believe it would have) the passing game would have been easier for Halzle plus he would have been settled in a bit more. Like I said, the way we lost is what hurts for me. Our O-line and trio of runningbacks could have won that game for us, Techs strength isn't stopping the run.

SoonerMom2
11/18/2007, 11:49 AM
Did you notice how many times Halzle checked off at the line of scrimmage after he came in the game and it was always into a pass play? What was up with that? He took too much time checking off and we lost precious seconds on the clock. One crucial time he was called for taking too much time.

Octavian
11/18/2007, 01:52 PM
We had to start throwing the ball every down. We had no choice.

We were down by 6 with only 40 minutes of football to play and we don't have any good running backs.

When you're down by 6 in the 2nd quarter, and all you got is Allen Patrick, DeMarco Murray, Chris Brown, and a smallish offensive line.....it's only logical to start slingin' the ball all over the field with the backup.

We had no choice.

AverageJoe
11/18/2007, 01:58 PM
Did you notice how many times Halzle checked off at the line of scrimmage after he came in the game and it was always into a pass play? What was up with that? He took too much time checking off and we lost precious seconds on the clock. One crucial time he was called for taking too much time.

OU QB's do not check into anything, all plays even the one's that look like checks come from the sideline.

AJ