PDA

View Full Version : Here we go...

soonersnow
11/18/2007, 09:13 AM
again...OU loses and we begin hearing about it from all the wannabe coaches, naysayers and bandwagon fans who think they know everything there is to know about football. I am a LONG time fan who has been through the good (Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops), bad ( Gomer Jones, Blake) and ugly (Schnelly). Even during the good times, Wilkinson and Switzer would lose once in a while. You can't win them all, not now, not ever.

Frankly, I was proud of the way the Sooners came back. At halftime I thought we were in for a real fanny kicking, like 52-10 or something like that. We had a chance at the end to tie, for crying outloud. We were playing with a second string quarterback, for crying outloud. We were playing without the best defensive end in the Big 12 and possibly nation, for crying outloud.

We lost, people! Get over it! And, while you're at it, get ready for next week when we get back on track for a win against OSwho and then a BIG game the next week against either Kansas or Missouri. Personally, I would favor Kansas...it's hard to beat a team twice. Stop all the whining and bit----- and get behind the Sooners, now and always. If you don't like it, bail out and head on down to Stoolwater...they need fans to fill that new stadium they are finishing.mad:

StoopTroup
11/18/2007, 09:32 AM
Good Post Soonersnow.

I hope Bradford,Murray and all the others who received injuries yesterday are OK and ready for oSu.

I'm really prOUd of OUr Team too.

Boomer Sooner

Sco
11/18/2007, 09:35 AM
Amen. It just wasn't the year for #8, but it's still OU's season to make it to a BCS bowl and finish strong.

Let's just take down OSU first.

getrdone
11/18/2007, 09:39 AM
the frustration is not about losing, it's how we lost. Our defense got beat on many plays by a lack of fundamentals. Alignment, stance, key, db's not playing the correct areas of the zone, poor pusuit angles, etc. . In TX HS football people lose their jobs over repeated performances like our defense has shown. It should be the same way at OU. It's time to make a change somewhere.

soonersnow
11/18/2007, 09:50 AM
the frustration is not about losing, it's how we lost. Our defense got beat on many plays by a lack of fundamentals. Alignment, stance, key, db's not playing the correct areas of the zone, poor pusuit angles, etc. . In TX HS football people lose their jobs over repeated performances like our defense has shown. It should be the same way at OU. It's time to make a change somewhere.

Are you a coach? Must be, but how can you even compare TX HS football with College? If you don't like it down here in Oklahoma, go back to TEXASS where you belong. How did we lose? Anytime you lose, there is a reason...injuries, circumstances, home field advantage, breaks in the game, etc. No change needed, just some injuries to heal and get ready for the next game.:mad:

getrdone
11/18/2007, 10:07 AM
yes I am a coach in TX and I hate the horns. i was born and raised in ok. I didn't compare hs with college-other than someone needs to loose their job. Our lb's, and db's do not take proper angles in pass drops, pursuit angles, and line up poorly in man coverage. This has been happening for years. Face it, our defense is not what it used to be. I work for a guy who has coached a few pro bowlers, and a lot of all american db's, so yes i know what I am talking about and we face the spread 4 games a yr, i watch film of it numerous hours every season, I know what i'm talking about.

wishbonesooner
11/18/2007, 10:14 AM
Good points, I agree. But, if fans didn't passionately follow this program, if fans didn't really feed the monster, if they didn't buy season tickets and buy all the Sooner gear, would we need an 85,000 seat stadium? Would Bob Stoops be one of the highest paid coaches in college football if the fans didn't care? True, calling for somebody to be fired after every loss is crazy, but saying people are bad fans when they voice their displeasure about losing a golden opportunity to get another MNC isn't right either. Fans aren't out there busting their butts in two a days, or working their tails off during games, but fans do pay the bills when it's all said and done, that passion is why OU is the program that it is.

soonersnow
11/18/2007, 10:32 AM
yes I am a coach in TX and I hate the horns. i was born and raised in ok. I didn't compare hs with college-other than someone needs to loose their job. Our lb's, and db's do not take proper angles in pass drops, pursuit angles, and line up poorly in man coverage. This has been happening for years. Face it, our defense is not what it used to be. I work for a guy who has coached a few pro bowlers, and a lot of all american db's, so yes i know what I am talking about and we face the spread 4 games a yr, i watch film of it numerous hours every season, I know what i'm talking about.

Maybe Bob Stoops ought to sign you up!:D

hink4769
11/18/2007, 10:37 AM
again...OU loses and we begin hearing about it from all the wannabe coaches, naysayers and bandwagon fans who think they know everything there is to know about football. I am a LONG time fan who has been through the good (Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops), bad ( Gomer Jones, Blake) and ugly (Schnelly). Even during the good times, Wilkinson and Switzer would lose once in a while. You can't win them all, not now, not ever.

Chill out man. People are going to come on here and blow off steam (isn't that what message boards are for?). And calling them bandwagon fans just because they're angry that the team lost is out of line. If you've been a fan so long then you have a good idea of how rare it is to be in contention for a national title and when you're team blows a chance at one you're going to be upset. OU needed to win 3 games over teams with much less talent to get the NC game, you only get so many of those chances. It doesn't make somebody a bad fan when they get mad about it, it just shows how much they want to win.

Katy's Most Wanted
11/18/2007, 10:45 AM
when are you people going to be honest with yourselves??
A continuous pattern of losing to substandard teams year after year is called a pattern and one that has to be dealt with.
Why in heavens name would you bash someone that comes in with a very well thought out post from a position of knowledge and expertise about our Defense and you jump his butt for stating facts?
Where the heck do you think great coaches and players come from? From great high school systems that turn out football achievers - both players and coaches - such as Texas.
And don't you dare attack me- i was at OU when Gomer Jones took over and have supported this team for the last 45 years pal.
Maybe you're right - Bob should listen to this guy.

1890MilesToNorman
11/18/2007, 10:50 AM
I am surprised with some of the comments from this board? How many thought OU would be 9-2 at this point back in July? Not many. No one knew what the QB position would bring and no one knew how this team would jell being so young. This is a very young team, I repeat VERY YOUNG TEAM. I am pleased as I can be with this years Sooners in the year of upsets. The only problem I see is the inability of playing on the road but this started long before most of these kids were on the team. I became concerned about the Stoop's road preparation back when we played LSU for the NC.

Halzle grew up a lot last night, he was thrown into a situation he hadn't prepared for. The kid took about 2 quarters to get his game face on but he was moving the offense at the end.

I don't care how good your D is, if you spend 3/4 of the game on D, bad things are going to happen. The offense went 3 and out how many times last night? You get out there and put pressure on the QB and run with those receivers for 80 plus plays and tell me how much gas you would have left in your tank.

I've been a Sooner fan for 40 plus years and I like this team (coaches and all), there were times when I thought Switzer was nuts too for some of his play calling but we know how his era turned out.

My only complaint (as stated earlier in the post) is they need to find a different preparation plan when they leave Norman. This formula is not working.

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 10:54 AM
To be truthful, I haven't seen a lot of venom on this board following the loss. Everyone seems to be taking it pretty well, for the most part.

As for coaching, Bob saw everything that we saw. There is nothing about football we know that he doesn't. So if Venables is really the problem (and I don't think he is), Bob knows.

soonersnow
11/18/2007, 10:59 AM
To 1890MilestoNorman...AMEN, and I'm going to sit down and shut up. Glad to know there are others out there who have been fans longer ago than I want to remember. Glad to hear from Katy'sMostWanted too.:O

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 11:00 AM
A continuous pattern of losing to substandard teams year after year is called a pattern and one that has to be dealt with.

Tech is not a substandard team. They are a very dangerous team that can rack up huge points on just about anyone. In fact, a lot of sportswriters were predicting an upset, so obviously they suspected that they were better than you are giving them credit for.

Where the heck do you think great coaches and players come from? From great high school systems that turn out football achievers - both players and coaches - such as Texas.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am not aware of many college coaches that rose from the high school ranks. Minor point.

GrapevineSooner
11/18/2007, 11:04 AM
As frustrated as we are over this pattern of losing games to underdogs over the past several years, multiple that by about 100 and you have what the coaches are feeling.

Last night's loss cannot be pinned down on one coach, one philosophy, or one play.

In my mind, it was a combination of things:

* We had 5 red zone trips and only came away with 1 TD and 2 FGs.

* Our offense couldn't get untracked in the first half. Do that against a team like Tech, and you're just asking for trouble.

* Sure, there are instances where I would have liked our D to not play as loose on the wideouts or would have blitzed more. But it's not like we could have brought the blitz on every play.

Harrell, himself, is the son of a coach and would have been able to adjust on his own. Let alone, letting Leach make the necessary adjustments.

* And after sleeping on this loss, the biggest thing that bothers me is coming out to start the 2nd half with three straight passing plays. I felt we should have tried to get the running game going at that point if nothing more than to take Tech's offense out of rhythm.

* In the end, we're right where I thought we'd be based upon my pre-season expectations. A little frustrating since I thought it would be due to phasing in a new QB into this offense.

But we still have a chance to win the Big 12 and go to a BCS bowl game, which would be our sixth BCS bowl game appearance in Stoops' 9 years. In this era of parity where no team has won multiple titles since the BCS was instituted, the vast majority of teams out there would love to be in our place.

stoopified
11/18/2007, 11:05 AM

Frankly, I was proud of the way the Sooners came back. At halftime I thought we were in for a real fanny kicking, like 52-10 or something like that. We had a chance at the end to tie, for crying outloud. We were playing with a second string quarterback, for crying outloud. We were playing without the best defensive end in the Big 12 and possibly nation, for crying outloud.

We lost, people! Get over it! And, while you're at it, get ready for next week when we get back on track for a win against OSwho and then a BIG game the next week against either Kansas or Missouri. Personally, I would favor Kansas...it's hard to beat a team twice. Stop all the whining and bit----- and get behind the Sooners, now and always. If you don't like it, bail out and head on down to Stoolwater...they need fans to fill that new stadium they are finishing.mad:Exactly.If Our coaching staff sucks so bad,how have we manged to win 82% OF OUr games and a NC along with 4 CCs.

Intown
11/18/2007, 11:13 AM
How do you get over bad losses to bad teams? And they do suc. It's like having a sister that's the town slut. I would love her, but I'd be disappointed.

Hey Dan- Bill says you jinxed us

1890MilesToNorman
11/18/2007, 11:22 AM
How do you get over bad losses to bad teams? And they do suc. It's like having a sister that's the town slut. I would love her, but I'd be disappointed.

It's football! Sooner fans have been spoiled for decades. For 3/4 of my life the Sooners have been a top 10 team, that doesn't leave many losses to get used to. Age will put it all into perspective for you.

Have fun with it but keep it where it belongs, as entertainment.

BOOMER SOONER

getrdone
11/18/2007, 11:30 AM
it's not the fact that we lost. it's the way we lost. you can say young team, and all of that, and hey we won x number of games and all of that. here is the point-we are losing games the past few years because our defense does not play fundamentally sound football. YOU DO NOT LINE UP ON 4TH AND SHORT IN MAN COV WITH OUTSIDE LEVERAGE AND LET THE RECEIVER RUN INSIDE FOR A SLANT. A CORNER ALSO DOES NOT PASS OFF A WR TO A DEEP SAFETY WHEN THE CORNER HAS NO FLAT RESPONSIBILITY-YOU RUN UNDERNEATH THE GUY STRIDE FOR STRIDE WITH SAFETY HELP OVER THE TOP. ALSO IF YOU WATCH THE GAME OUR LB'S GET INTO PASS DROPS AND LOCK ONTO THE QB'S EYES-NOT HARDLY EVER DO THEY GLANCE AND FIND THE NEAREST THREAT TO THEIR ZONE-THAT MY FRIENDS IS A LACK OF FUNDAMENTALS-NOT TO MENTION POOR PURSUIT ANGLES IN COVERAGE.

josh09
11/18/2007, 12:00 PM

We lost, people! Get over it! And, while you're at it, get ready for next week when we get back on track for a win against OSwho and then a BIG game the next week against either Kansas or Missouri. Personally, I would favor Kansas...it's hard to beat a team twice. Stop all the whining and bit----- and get behind the Sooners, now and always. If you don't like it, bail out and head on down to Stoolwater...they need fans to fill that new stadium they are finishing.mad:

I agree, great post.

We just need to focus on the future and on making sure we get these next 3 wins, because they would all be huge for next year's success.

owenfieldreams
11/18/2007, 12:07 PM
Let me pose this scenario. How do you think an opposing coach would prepare his team to play OU in a big game?

Forget the schemes, playcalling, matchups,talent disparity, etc., we're talking about the mental & emotional aspect of the game. In my mind he says, "hang in there, don't beat yourselves, & stay focused because OU will beat itself if you are simply patient". He would tell them that the Sooners are more talented but have no discipline to match the talent.

Folks, except for the Nebraska game @ Arrowhead, we have spit the bit in big games for years & it all started with SC in the OB......blown coverages, missed tackles, penalties that negate positive execution, shanked punts, you name it, we've done it, @ the most inopportune times.

In our two losses this year, our opponents were tough & we were in their home ballpark.In both games, our mistakes were a greater contributor to our ultimate defeat than anything they did. There is no mistaking our talent edge & it's this talent that keeps these losses respectable, at least on the scoreboard, but in close games, when the chips are on the table, we, more often than not, shoot ourselves in the foot & this, in my opinion is coaching. It's poor mental preparation. We are OKLAHOMA in name only & the rest of the college football world knows it.

Look @ KU. There's not one player in their 2-deep that we tried to recruit but they are undefeated & lead the nation in fewest penalties & turnover margin. They are disciplined & do not beat themselves. They do not have anyone who could start for us save their stellar CB, Aqib Talib.

Something is missing with this program right now. I don't mind getting beat by a better team in a game in which we competed to the utmost of our ability & lost but more often than not, we have to ratchet up our level of competition to overcome our own ineptness. We have played one game this year against a quality opponent in which we did not beat ourselves & that was against UT. Last night, we gave up at least 50 yards in field position due to penalties on kickoff returns. Duke Robinson has become the poster child for undisciplined behavior on the field that has cost us dearly & he's not the only one. Lofton had a very costly unsportsmanlike call up in Boulder. We drop passes, fumble, tackle poorly, blow coverages, & on & on & on. These are mental mistakes due to a lack of focus & that's coaching.

I rarely agree with the talking heads but this AM we were severly excoriated by both Holtz & May for these very things; i.e., a poor job of having a team ready to play on the big stage in a contest that would ultimately lead to a possible NC. We are better than Boise State, better than CU, & better than TT; but not enough better to spot them points due to our own ineptness.

SoonerBBall
11/18/2007, 12:09 PM
it's not the fact that we lost. it's the way we lost. you can say young team, and all of that, and hey we won x number of games and all of that. here is the point-we are losing games the past few years because our defense does not play fundamentally sound football. YOU DO NOT LINE UP ON 4TH AND SHORT IN MAN COV WITH OUTSIDE LEVERAGE AND LET THE RECEIVER RUN INSIDE FOR A SLANT. A CORNER ALSO DOES NOT PASS OFF A WR TO A DEEP SAFETY WHEN THE CORNER HAS NO FLAT RESPONSIBILITY-YOU RUN UNDERNEATH THE GUY STRIDE FOR STRIDE WITH SAFETY HELP OVER THE TOP. ALSO IF YOU WATCH THE GAME OUR LB'S GET INTO PASS DROPS AND LOCK ONTO THE QB'S EYES-NOT HARDLY EVER DO THEY GLANCE AND FIND THE NEAREST THREAT TO THEIR ZONE-THAT MY FRIENDS IS A LACK OF FUNDAMENTALS-NOT TO MENTION POOR PURSUIT ANGLES IN COVERAGE.

Your critcism is so much clearer in all caps. I just can't image why you are a HS coach and Bob and Brent coach the big boys. It makes no sense.

Doged
11/18/2007, 12:16 PM
It's football! Sooner fans have been spoiled for decades. For 3/4 of my life the Sooners have been a top 10 team, that doesn't leave many losses to get used to. Age will put it all into perspective for you.

BOOMER SOONER

Excellent post and QFT.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/18/2007, 12:29 PM

2 things:

The person that should lose his/her job is your high school English teacher. 'Lack of fundamentals' only scratches the surface of your posts.
Your screen name is 'getrdone'. That squelches any credibility that your lofty high school (probably position coach) career has garnered.

MissouriSooner
11/18/2007, 12:37 PM
Previous post: "And after sleeping on this loss, the biggest thing that bothers me is coming out to start the 2nd half with three straight passing plays. I felt we should have tried to get the running game going at that point if nothing more than to take Tech's offense out of rhythm."

Has anybody noticed that our run-blocking has gotten progressively worse since the Texas game? We struggled to run-block in the A&M and Baylor games, and it was apparent that if we didn't start blocking better, we'd be forced to rely mainly on the passing game. That game plan works only if you execute the passing game flawlessly against inferior opponents, but if you can't execute it flawlessly [e.g., Colorado, Iowa State, TTech], you barely win against inferior opponents, or you lose. Why our NFL-sized line cannot adequately run-block is a mystery to me. I predict we will see more of the same hit-and-miss offensive production in our remaining games if we don't start blocking properly for the run game. BTW, my bona fides: been a fan since the fifties, OU alumnus, make it back to see most home games and attend a few road games. I, too, have seen the good, bad and ugly through the years, and that's what makes this year so frustrating - we have the requisite talent, but get beaten by inferior talent. Tech is good, but not that good; we held them to 7 in the second half, and we even gave them that 7. I agree with earlier posters who lay the blame at the coaches' feet, and I don't think Bob would disagree with that assessment.

Stitch Face
11/18/2007, 12:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am not aware of many college coaches that rose from the high school ranks. Minor point.

Don't forget up-and-coming North Texas!

Stitch Face
11/18/2007, 12:43 PM
when are you people going to be honest with yourselves??
Why in heavens name would you bash someone that comes in with a very well thought out post from a position of knowledge and expertise about our Defense and you jump his butt for stating facts?
And don't you dare attack me- i was at OU when Gomer Jones took over and have supported this team for the last 45 years pal.
Maybe you're right - Bob should listen to this guy.

You're lucky Katy wants you, because it's doubtful many people on here do.

yur-out
11/18/2007, 01:07 PM
yes I am a coach in TX
Well I've never COACHED in texass, but I did spend 18 years of my life as a high school COACH in oklahoma. What I can tell you is (I don't know how it is in texass, but in Oklahoma) one COACH doesn't talk about how another COACH should be fired because of his kids performance. COACH'S don't do it (because it might be them next time). That is left up to the talking heads and fans that don't know what it's like to be a COACH. So you may be a COACH, but not one I'd ever want to be on a staff with.

UTsucks
11/18/2007, 01:10 PM

Who died and made you the expert? :texan:

A Sooner in Texas
11/18/2007, 04:15 PM

BOOMER SOONER

Lotsa truth there. The losses hurt more because we win more. But coaches and players are human beings, not machines, and are not going to be perfect. It's fun to watch wins, but it's the occasional losses - and for the Sooners, they are VERY occasional -- that make the wins that much better.