PDA

View Full Version : I really do not like saying this but...

BASSooner
11/18/2007, 03:30 AM
it is time for change.

Whether it's changing OUr game plan or Stoops dictating OUr coaching staff, something has to change.

I know that it is ridiculous for me to say this considering we have only lost 2 games. However, we have had more talent than we ever had in the past and we participated in numerous BCS bowls(and won one!) and a NC title game(and won one!).

I do agree that you cannot win them all but, if we are going to make frequent visits, we need to at least win a couple.

I believe that a change of gameplan can solve most of our big problems and could possibly help benefit us a lot more this season and the next.

Discuss.

Curly Bill
11/18/2007, 03:35 AM
I will go on record as saying I wouldn't mind if both coordinators were asked to search for work elsewhere. I don't think they are the worst there is by any stretch, but if we are going to take that next step I think change is in order as well.

edit...Bobby Jack Wright can go too.

TexasIsOUsBtch
11/18/2007, 03:38 AM
What i'm tired of, is losing to inferior talent... Every year, since 2000, and except 2004 and USC, we have lost at least one game to teams that should not even be competitive with us... Even Barry Switzer has commented on the fact that Stoops has trouble beating the teams he's supposed to... Usually losing to a team that we are double digit favorites over... it's getting old... I don't wanna go 10-2, or 11-2 every year... I want some national championships....

SoonerKnight
11/18/2007, 05:00 AM
Stoops is the best thing that has happened to this school. You might remember that we have won one NC game but played in three of them and have four Big XII championships. Now we lost the starting QB. If you thought that he was just "managing the games" Now you know he obviously has talent. Who do we blame for the QB trying to make a tackle? QB's don't tackle!!! Halzle has not played that much and it showed. He got better but you could definately see that his arm is weak. Nichols is a true freshmen. Now if we put in Nichols and not Halzle and lost by 20+ what would everyone say then? Our defense gave up in the first half they played with little emotion and gave up huge plays. That could be attributed to losing Austin English who helped keep the D fired up! Sammy if he plays next week I expect will fire this team up. At the very least we need to get to the Big XII game and win so we can go to the Fiesta. I know noone wants to go to the Fiesta again and I wanted to see OU in the NC game but this team can still make some big wins and next year I expect we'll get #8 and Sammy his Heisman!!!

wishbonesooner
11/18/2007, 05:23 AM
I think Bob is a great coach. I don't want anybody else coaching the Sooners. I do think he's gotten comfy and it shows. The product on the field is not what this deal is about.
Anybody else remember this quote? " You shouldn't thank me for winning a national championship, you should expect it from me" That was Bob Stoops himself the afternoon of the big celebration after the 2000 NC.

UTsucks
11/18/2007, 05:48 AM
Can we say John Cooper .............:texan:

wishbonesooner
11/18/2007, 05:58 AM
I think Bob's old friend Mike Leach saved us from absorbing an *** whipping from LSU.

batonrougesooner
11/18/2007, 07:19 AM
Switzer also said something about "feeding the monster".

jk the sooner fan
11/18/2007, 08:09 AM
goodness, such stupidity

sanantoniosooner
11/18/2007, 08:18 AM
Posting While Intoxicated

soonersn2007
11/18/2007, 08:22 AM
Houston, we have a problem.............now why would saying that make us stupid or any less of fans compared to the sunshine pumpers? I want Stoops to stay but there is a underlying problem here, we have lost too many games we should have won the last 3 years.

I think Brent Venebles leaving/fired would address some of it.

Katy's Most Wanted
11/18/2007, 08:29 AM
I posted (or should i say tried to) a comparison to Mack Brown and Bob Stoops in that they both seem to be mistakenly loyal to coordinator coaches or are inept.
This is not a heretical attack on Stoops but a statement of opinion that our coordinators cannot do the job. and this comes from people very close to the program and that played in the Big 12 and know both coaching staffs so it is not ArmChair BS.
And it is true, we lose to less than average teams with far superior talent. that is coaching.

batonrougesooner
11/18/2007, 08:43 AM
I seem to remember our starting qb getting knocked out of the game on the first series. That could have played a role.

No one knows how the game would have turned out otherwise but I can't help but think that his presence in the rest of the game might have helped our chances.

Then again, last I checked, Bradford doesn't play defense.

(yes you are detecting sarcasm)

colleyvillesooner
11/18/2007, 08:49 AM
Unbelievable. Call me a sunshine pumper, but did anyone go into That game thinking we'd win any other way than a semi shootout? Sam plays the whole game, we provably win by 7-10 pts and nobody is saying ****. Every good team struggles. We gave up 34pts to the #1 offense in the nation. Bad scheme and communication ld to the first half scores but those flaws were correctable and they were at the half.

yur-out
11/18/2007, 08:54 AM
Then again, last I checked, Bradford doesn't play defense.

(yes you are detecting sarcasm)
He doesn't?!? Well I guess when it's said the best defense is a good offense, (You know to keep the ball away from people like Favre, Brady,Manning,etc.) there is NO WAY people that say that, can have any idea what their talking about.:rolleyes:

soonerhubs
11/18/2007, 08:57 AM
Unbelievable. Call me a sunshine pumper, but did anyone go into That game thinking we'd win any other way than a semi shootout? Sam plays the whole game, we provably win by 7-10 pts and nobody is saying ****. Every good team struggles. We gave up 34pts to the #1 offense in the nation. Bad scheme and communication ld to the first half scores but those flaws were correctable and they were at the half.
I'm with CVS. I hope more than anything that everyone on our staff stays the same. With all due respect I feel that it's silly to start calling for coordinators' heads after a game in which injuries limited us in a monumental way.

Auston English healthy...different ball game.
Sam Bradford healthy...different ball game.
Eliminate some mental errors...different ball game.
Make the Officiating Crew take 3 decades worth of ethics class...same ball game because some things never change.

Call for the officials' heads if anyone's. They are the one's who seemed to want Tech to win. I watched the replay 10 times, and it's obvious the replay officials have no ethics.

TripleOption14
11/18/2007, 09:05 AM
Oh it's time for a change alright!!!! And it's called stop turning the FRIGGIN ball over because it is too costly! Last night it cost us one of the best QB's in the nation which in turn cost us the game!!!

jk the sooner fan
11/18/2007, 09:06 AM
i truly dont think the officials had an impact on the outcome of this game

i'm with CVS - it just amazes me what some of our "fans" will say

King Crimson
11/18/2007, 09:12 AM
that would be a great move to get rid of Bobby Jack Wright. he's really meant nothing to OU football since 99.

sarcasm.

we lost. our QB was Syd Barrett at a laser-light show featuring the first Pink Floyd record.

it's OK. life goes on.

sooner518
11/18/2007, 09:14 AM
i truly dont think the officials had an impact on the outcome of this game

i'm with CVS - it just amazes me what some of our "fans" will say
I agree to a certain extent. While I certainly saw Tech's share of hooking our D-lineman, and Johnson should have gotten credit for that TD catch, there's no guarantee that we would have scored again had we gotten that TD with 3 minutes left. I think it was a poor call but not horrendously blatant like at UO and 2 years ago in Lubbock.

If you had told me on Friday that we would give up 34 points to Tech, I would have said we win by 10 points. Our redzone offense just couldnt get it into gear. We had 3 drives inside the 10 in the final 6 minutes of the game and we only came up with 7 points. Thats not gonna get it done.

jk the sooner fan
11/18/2007, 09:20 AM
even though i thought that was a touchdown, i can see where there was probably not enough indisputable video evidence to overturn it.....he has to come down with the ball and there is some question as to whether he did or not

you just couldnt see it

rare are those seasons where we go undefeated - nobody at the beginning of the year thought we'd be undefeated.....we're right where most of us thought we'd be

remember the movie Blackhawk Down, where the platoon sergeant is distraught over thinking he had failed his mission because he lost some of his soldiers....the Special Ops guy says "its just war"

well, "its just football"

sometimes we get beat.....sometimes those KIDS go out and have a bad game, sometimes they make mistakes.....just like the rest of us do in our own daily jobs and lives...or sometimes we have significant injuries that alter the outcome of a game

jeebus people, get an EFFIN grip - getting rid of the coaches? the ref's losing the game for us? the defense playing zone too much? stoops being too loyal to his coaching staff?

please have a nice slice of perspective pie and a glass of SHUT THE HELL UP to wash it down

soonersnow
11/18/2007, 09:21 AM
If you REALLY don't like saying this...then don't, you wannabe coach.

soonerhubs
11/18/2007, 09:24 AM
even though i thought that was a touchdown, i can see where there was probably not enough indisputable video evidence to overturn it.....he has to come down with the ball and there is some question as to whether he did or not

you just couldnt see it

rare are those seasons where we go undefeated - nobody at the beginning of the year thought we'd be undefeated.....we're right where most of us thought we'd be

remember the movie Blackhawk Down, where the platoon sergeant is distraught over thinking he had failed his mission because he lost some of his soldiers....the Special Ops guy says "its just war"

well, "its just football"

sometimes we get beat.....sometimes those KIDS go out and have a bad game, sometimes they make mistakes.....just like the rest of us do in our own daily jobs and lives...or sometimes we have significant injuries that alter the outcome of a game

jeebus people, get an EFFIN grip - getting rid of the coaches? the ref's losing the game for us? the defense playing zone too much? stoops being too loyal to his coaching staff?

please have a nice slice of perspective pie and a glass of SHUT THE HELL UP to wash it down
You're right. I'm just venting.

93sooner
11/18/2007, 09:26 AM
http://blog.firebobbyjack.com/

says it all.

jk the sooner fan
11/18/2007, 09:28 AM
folks, look across college football - with the 25 scholarship limit, an ENDLESS number of very good football players coming out of the high school ranks, and the invention of the spread offense,.......its very easy to see why we have such parity in the game

gone are the days of the Big 2 and the 6 dwarves .....this is how football is....if you were a fan when your team goes undefeated and wins it all....enjoy it, because those seasons are rare and thats what makes them special

batonrougesooner
11/18/2007, 09:29 AM
He doesn't?!? Well I guess when it's said the best defense is a good offense, (You know to keep the ball away from people like Favre, Brady,Manning,etc.) there is NO WAY people that say that, can have any idea what their talking about.:rolleyes:

say what exactly?

RacerX
11/18/2007, 09:35 AM

says it all.

:rolleyes:

King Crimson
11/18/2007, 09:38 AM
i thought it was Pelini to blame for our bad DB play.

AlbqSooner
11/18/2007, 09:40 AM
Losing Bradford early compounded everything else. Halzle did a reasonable job considering that he had so little game experience. About midway through the third quarter and into the fourth, he played well for a backup. Before that, we had so many 3 and outs.

Our defense played so much that they understandably were less than fresh by the time the offense got to sustaining some momentum. That left a tech offense, which we knew was going to score in bunches, with fresh legs playing against a gassed defense.

That they scored 34 should surprise no one.

That we struggled offensively with a backup QB should surprise no one.

That tech at lubbock at night was one of our toughest games should surprise no one. Several posters, from preseason on, have said that.

As JK said, "its just football".

We are about where everyone figured we would be at this point in the season.

kc sooner
11/18/2007, 09:51 AM
I don't know who to blame, but somebody is to blame, I know after the Tulsa game I was thinking that kind of D does not win a championship. We've given up lots of yards to bad teams - tulsa, baylor, colorado, and somehow TT has lost 4 games this year, including to colorado at home. MU held them down and stuffed them all game long.

2k2 c5
11/18/2007, 10:20 AM
Spoiled. Considering the weapons we lost, and the short time it took the replacements up to speed they best they could, I was not as dissatisfied after the game as I thought I was going to be at the end of the first half.

jk the sooner fan
11/18/2007, 10:23 AM
their total yardage for the ENTIRE game is what they put up in one half against osu

they put up 400+ on everybody......did we really think this defense was going to stonewall them into a 200 yard game?

holding them to 34 points was a great effort in my opinion, with bradford playing and the omission of some really stupid penalties on our part, we win that game by 14

birddog
11/18/2007, 10:25 AM
Spoiled. Considering the weapons we lost, and the short time it took the replacements up to speed they best they could, I was not as dissatisfied after the game as I thought I was going to be at the end of the first half.
amen, halzle's over there admiring the hall-of-famer he just pulled from his nose, and next thing he knows he's reading defenses on the field.

considering how it all went down i thought the second half was pretty entertaining because the damage had already been done.

JohnnyMack
11/18/2007, 10:25 AM
Some of you people need your asses kicked.

JohnnyMack
11/18/2007, 10:27 AM
10 wins with this team is about where they should be. We don't have the talent OR the experience to win a MNC this year. But yeah, let's fire the coaching staff anyways.

bcgvh
11/18/2007, 10:45 AM
Stoops is a great head coach, don't want to ever lose him, but he puts all of his faith and loyalty into his staff, which is average at best.

stoopified
11/18/2007, 10:48 AM
Posting While IntoxicatedNot entirely but DRUNK and STUPID is a wicked combination.

Intown
11/18/2007, 11:08 AM
I thought the season was going a lot better than expected. However, if the next game is a flop, then yes things will need to change. I admire Stoops for his loyalty, and he can get underperforming coaches jobs somewhere else.

SoonerGM
11/18/2007, 11:09 AM
i dont see how you can say there was not enough video evidence to rule it a catch. it looked like quite the obvious catch on my HD big screen tv. in fact i was having a hard time seeing why it was originally ruled incomplete. i mean even the announcers said it was a catch.

there was also a catch by kelly(not td) where he hopped on one foot a couple of times that was ruled incomplete. the ball stuck to his hand like glue though. i guess jumping up and down somehow equates to bobbling the ball? yah... the refs did have an impact on the game.

Stitch Face
11/18/2007, 11:16 AM
If you melt down when your team loses two games you need to seriously rethink how you've organized your life. Maybe try to find something more meaningful to hang your hat on than a bunch of 19-20 year old kids losing a football game (two, at that! The nerve!) The gut-wrenching lack of validation experienced on this board is sad and amazing, especially considering that OU is still basically the most successful team of the decade and the last 60 years.

But you're right. Fire 'em all.:rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 11:25 AM

says it all.

That is a pretty shameful web site. Reminds me of the immaturity shown by some OU fans during the Gibbs years.