PDA

View Full Version : Official postgame thoughts thread:

goingoneight
11/18/2007, 01:10 AM
Damned if I saw this one from start to finish. I thought only on a bad night could we lose this one. After two major key injuries and not having a potential All-American in the game at all... I would have predicted Tech in a massive rout.

Halzle stunk... until he got in a rhythm. Can't hate on a quality backup who hasn't seen anything but a victory formation since the Tulsa game. He got better and engineered as good of a comeback as we could have asked for having not scored a single offensive TD at all until the 4th quarter. Thank you for your efforts, Joey... and I understand why Stoops didn't pull you. We needed to select a quarterback to save OUr asses and he needed to find a rhythm. True freshmen don't usually save you.

Alan, Sam, DeMarco and Auston... I hope and pray you guys are alright and nothing's serious. No particular order, obviously... I hope you all bounce right back to a normal life.

We turned the ball over and punted ALL FREAKING NIGHT. We gave up a lot of yards, but it's Tech and OUr defense was beaten up... I'll give you a free pass, guys.

Seriously, this is nothing new, guys... we've been watching teams all over the nation do this all season long. We're the eleventh occurence of a top five team being upset by an unranked team. Add insult to injury, Colorado was on the final play and nothing could have possibly gone right until it was too late against Tech.

That said, we're 9-2 with two losses on the road. Who else in the conference can brag? Kansas? Good for them, any others?

Face it fans, we just saw our scout team nearly defeat Texas Tech on the road. At the beginning of the season, people predicted potentially 2-3 losses.

Miami
Texas
Tech.

Please don't make me wanna puke, Sooners, beat the 40-year old virgins next week!!!

TUSooner
11/18/2007, 01:16 AM
Good post.

My thoughts?
The board was too slow. :)

rubyspirit
11/18/2007, 01:18 AM
A lot of balls were overthrown. What can you do?

Sonner magic923
11/18/2007, 01:24 AM
ya well #8 can wait till next year lets go get back to back Conference Championships

rainiersooner
11/18/2007, 01:26 AM
At the end of it all, I think we showed a lot of heart. But this hurts all the same.

OUTrumpet
11/18/2007, 01:27 AM
Please don't make me wanna puke, Sooners, beat the 40-year old virgins next week!!!

So it doesn't count for losing your virginity when you shag a sheep?

And I agree, our back-ups did their best, and my hat's off to them. Halzle put up some good 4th quarter numbers, just wish he could have gotten going with more than 2 minutes left in the 3rd :(

Here's hoping for a quick recovery to all! *cheers*

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2007, 01:27 AM
Last week they mentioned the communication problem out on the field leading to a lot of bad defensive plays. It seems those communication problems are still out there. D J and Marcus Walker really don't seem to work well together for some reason.

Great comeback. Should have been a tie ball game but it doesnt matter now. Same as in the Fiesta Bowl, I appreciate the OU guys not giving up and fighting to make it a game.

min00
11/18/2007, 01:31 AM
I thought OU fought pretty hard, but also it goes back to what I been saying for years, play your backups when the game is in hand...For some reason Stoops keeps starters in way too long...IMO

chad
11/18/2007, 01:32 AM
I was pleased the team didn't give up going. They showed heart going into the 4th quarter when all looked bleak, and they nearly pulled it off.

Best wished to all that are injured and a speedy recovery.

Let's just focus and win next week. Don't start talking about the big 12 championship, that is 2 weeks away, we still have OSU to put away.

Boomer Sooner

NYC Poke
11/18/2007, 01:37 AM
FWIW, I thought it was a TD too. I'm not a Cowboy here to gloat. I wanted you to win. Even with your backup QB, I'm amazed at how well TT's D played -- they certainly didn't play like that against us.

Step away from the ledge. You're had a great season and there's still football left for you to play.

goingoneight
11/18/2007, 01:40 AM
I don't blame the coaches at all tonight.

I feel AP made up for his fumble with astounding special teams play.

I feel for the guys who got hurt and had to watch that.

I think this was the unluckiest game I've ever seen for a Stoops-coached team. They didn't get out-played so much as they just couldn't catch a break. Injuries, close calls gone the other way, punt-fest, couldn't recover the onside kick... it was just brutal to watch. I was ****ed after the K-State and USC losses, because we just gave up. This and games like the Fiesta Bowl... makes me appreciate that we're never really out of it.

My dad just said it best... "they were on their heels and we were on our asses."

wileyousooner
11/18/2007, 01:45 AM
i agree with all the comments. i thought we had lost it in a big way, but i still hoped the sooner magic had been blown in by a big texas wind. i am curious though why bob didn't stick in keith nichols. from what i saw of the first half, the defense had more holes than swiss cheese, but played a heck of a game in the second half. the team played with more heart than i have seen all year after having theirs ripped out with sam out. just goes to show you the backups need to play more. don't write off the Sooners. There are still games left to be played. Win at OSU and beat Kansas/Missouri and who knows? This has been a strange year all around.

BoulderSooner79
11/18/2007, 01:48 AM
I thought Joey played well. Sure, it would have been nice to get going earlier, but even when he does get snaps in practice it is with different players than the 1st team. Once he got warm, he was pretty accurate. But timing wasn't there and he seemed to lock in on 1 guy. I hope a week of practice will improve this if Sam can't come back.

I thought the D played pretty well, but I must be the only one. They got a pick-6, then a 3 and out with 0 yards after the fumble to limit the damage to 3 points. But you could see them start to tire after that when the offense couldn't give them a rest. In the second half, they only gave up the score after the botch punt snap. The difference in the 2nd half is that the offense at least moved the ball even if they didn't score.

Bottom line, the outcome was determined on the first offensive snap and Sam got hurt. I think alot of those 2nd quarter drives Tech offense had would not have happened because they would have been sitting on the bench watching Sam and co.

Time to start thinking about kickin' poke butt.

soonermeteor
11/18/2007, 01:50 AM
I was ****ed after the K-State and USC losses, because we just gave up. This and games like the Fiesta Bowl... makes me appreciate that we're never really out of it.

Agreed. 34-27 is a lot better than 34-10. Plus, most people are bringing up the fact we fought back and probably got screwed some. We lost, but we dont look like trash.

SoonerBOI
11/18/2007, 01:51 AM
First, congrats to Tech. Joey, thanks for your effort. We lost to the better team tonite. We play the cards we are dealt with. I have no complaints. Boomer!

SoonerBOI
11/18/2007, 01:52 AM
FWIW, I thought it was a TD too. I'm not a Cowboy here to gloat. I wanted you to win. Even with your backup QB, I'm amazed at how well TT's D played -- they certainly didn't play like that against us.

Step away from the ledge. You're had a great season and there's still football left for you to play.

Congrats on your win tonight.

westcoast_sooner
11/18/2007, 01:53 AM
I was over at a friend's house, thought we were looking at a 55-19 type blowout at the end of the first half. We managed to pull it together in the 2nd half and played pretty well overall. Props to Joey, DeMarco, the WRs and the D in the 2nd half.

They showed a lot of heart, and if the ref and replay official don't screw us, we're in OT.

goingoneight
11/18/2007, 01:58 AM
Gawd I'm just sick of all these "fans" who come on here, complain and leave. They have the indecency to neg you, insult you, down our players and coaches and call themselves "fans."

I get a little pizzed when I'm watching the game and I say things I later regret, but I don't go and rip the hearts of the team and staff out after all the bad stuff that happened, and they fell one bad call short of coming back to go to OT.

Congratulations to Tech, their fans and team showed class and appeared to be a pretty clean game minus a few LOS penalities which always happen at least once.

Stitch Face
11/18/2007, 01:59 AM
thought we were looking at a 55-19 type blowout at the end of the first half

What a strange, random number to come up with.

Now don't ever mention it again.:mad:

sooner-n-ga
11/18/2007, 02:03 AM

Look to me like Mike Leach called off the dogs and it almost caught up with him in the end.

hybridworks
11/18/2007, 02:06 AM
negatives:
1) The spread offense wore on our d line early and quickly.
2) Secondary continued to play zone the entire game.
3) Running game took too long to develop.
4) Hazle got flustered early... guess thats what happens when you get 9 snaps the entire season.

Positives:
1) After the first quarter, when the passes were accurate, the WR's were catching them.
2) DM had a near 100 yd night minus the fact that he didn't see the ball much in the first half.
3) The team doesn't quit, even when trailing by a multi-touchdown deficit.
4) The defense came out rejuvenated in the 4th, again.

I'm proud of what was accomplished in this loss. This game shows what the difference is between the SoONErs and the majority of the NCAA 1-A division. The field general falls and the surrounding soldiers made this 4th quarter the most exciting game in 2007.

In my negatives, I didn't add the officiating. They got ducked on another several plays, but on the other hand, TT handed the offense opportunities to take the game. There were other things there like the TE's not being involved until late, but I attribute that to Hazle not finding his rhythm until late.

goingoneight
11/18/2007, 02:08 AM
Look to me like Mike Leach knew exactly how talented this OU team is and wanted to get that **** over with ASAP. Looked to me like Mike Leach also watched the Fiesta Bowl and knew we weren't through yet.

How many years did Barry Switzer get up comfortably (by two or three TDs) and run the clock out?

Leach knew late in the game we were picking up steam and he didn't want to risk a turnover-touchdown. They only aired it out to keep the chains moving and didn't mind punting. Since when does Mike Leach care to punt?

Texas Golfer
11/18/2007, 02:09 AM
Although I'm disappointed that our national title hopes are gone, we still have a chance for the conference title. But, more importantly, I hope for the speedy recovery of the injured players.

sooner59
11/18/2007, 02:12 AM
Im really pleased with the fact that we didnt give up....just like when I went to the Fiesta Bowl last year. Im glad we didnt give up. I truly appreciate effort and heart. For the first half I blame Venables and Allen Patrick for fumbling (and causing Bradford to get hurt). But I give Halzle some credit. For as little as he has played (mostly clean-up), I think he played his best. Im upset with our first half defense, but im happy with the second half defense. But I just hope Murray isnt hurt bad. I hope we finish strong this year, but I still think next year is our year. Im going to be in San Antonio if we win next week, so hopefully we can spoil someone else's NC hopes.

MamaMia
11/18/2007, 02:26 AM
Actually, my final thoughts are that I'm not a whole lot surprised we lost this game.

TUSooner
11/18/2007, 12:50 PM
My only real concern was the opening fumble, which I saw as another symptom of how the O on the road never seems to start out firing on all cylinders.

I hope we mangle Osu in very nasty ways.

TUSooner
11/18/2007, 12:52 PM
Actually, my final thoughts are that I'm not a whole lot surprised we lost this game.

Well, I thought we'd win, but wasn't totally shocked that we lost. But I WAS very surprised at HOW we lost, with Sam getting knocked out of the game and all.

RiddlerOK
11/18/2007, 01:09 PM

Westcoast must not be aware of TGOWWDNS..........just sayin'. :)

rhombic21
11/18/2007, 01:25 PM
1) I've been a Kevin Wilson fan since he replaced Long. I think that on the whole, he does a pretty good job. Last night was ridiculously bad playcalling though. Texas Tech has the worst run defense in the conference, and we were without our starting QB. Why in the world are we coming out and throwing the ball 3 times in a row on several possessions in the first half? Here's what our offensive attack should have been. Run the ball with Murray until he gets tired or the defense loads 8 and 9 guys in the box, and then throw playaction to the TEs, FBs, and occassionally to a WR downfield. Why in the world were we freaking lining up in the shotgun and asking Halzle to come in and try to beat them with the dropback passing game. Even if Sam had been in the game that would have been dumb. Tech sucks against the run and is decent against the pass. Pound the football with Murray and Brown and throw it when they over-commit.

2) I don't know what Allen Patrick does that makes the coaches like him, but he should have been replaced a long time ago. It's pretty clear that he's not anywhere as effective as Murray or Brown. He never makes anybody miss, has no ability to pick his way through traffic or find a cutback lane, and then he fumbles the ball on top of it. There is absolutely no way that DeMarco shouldn't have been getting 25 carries a game since the start of conference play.

3) What the hell is up with the offensive line. Backup quarterback or not, there is no way that Texas Tech should be getting more pressure on our QB than we're getting on theirs. And then we have second and goal on the half yard line and we can't punch it in? Most over-rated unit that I can ever remember. They've been average all year. With the amount of skill position talent that we have, this offense should dominate every week, but we struggle on a consistent basis because we don't get consisent blocking.

4) Can't fault the defense too much. They came back and played strong in the second half. And Tech is a difficult offense to stop when you keep giving them the ball, and letting them get in rhythm with the crowd behind them. Everybody knew going into the game that we would need to score points to win the game. We only gave up 34 to a very explosive offense, and 7 of those were set up by a botched punt.

5) Injuries suck and we always seem to get hit by them. Jason White in '01, '02, and the '03 NC game, AD last year, and now Sam and Auston, our best players on each side of the ball.

6) Replay is worthless as far as I'm concerned. It's probably just coincidence, but we never get a close call at a critical moment of the game to go our way. Tired of it.

Lott's Bandana
11/18/2007, 01:29 PM
The thing that keeps swirling around in my head and has me hoarse is the oblivious "coverage (?)" of the game.

Didn't know Halzle was the quarterback.

Several replays of Crabtree's "almost" touchdown continued showing a not-called clip right behind him.

Second-to-last drive's pass into the end zone was never replayed which would have shown our receiver being tackled while jumping for the ball.

Finally, and most disturbing:

Adon Tennel tearing his ACL because of a block in the back, right in front of the Umpire. Announcers never say a thing, in fact, ABC showed the Umpire and the TT player that caught the punt having a friendly chat after the play...twice!

TT's "system" includes OL holding on nearly every play.

Why did the flags stay in the pockets so much? Why does my DVR continue to show me things "professionals" didn't see? Delete.

Thought crossed my mind: Leach paid an extra $10,000 for that victory.

r5TPsooner
11/18/2007, 01:32 PM
I'm bummed about losing the game, but losing all of those players to injuries was very hard to watch. Especially the DeMarco injury which just looked harmless.

leavingthezoo
11/18/2007, 01:42 PM
i just keep remembering how very young and green we are in several positions and am really looking forward to the next several years as those positions mature. bad break losing sam so early, but glad to see the boys didn't carry any quit in them this game. i wanted to wring hazle's neck in the first half, and wanted to pat his back by the end of the game. kinda like my relationship with sooner football. i love it, but sometimes i don't want to talk to it. then it goes and makes things right again. heh. wish it could have been prettier with a better outcome. and... there's more football to be played. BOOMER SOONER!