PDA

View Full Version : Venables

The Maestro
11/17/2007, 09:38 PM
Someone tell me what an *** hole I am for questioning his scheme.

250 yards....

27 points...

9:18 to go...

IN THE SECOND FREAKING QUARTER!!!

And can we please get Nichol in the game???

Can't believe Wilson throws with Halze on first down but couldn't think to do that with Sam much...

We gotta run...

I hate life...

Curly Bill
11/17/2007, 09:49 PM
Don't worry, there will be peeps take you up on it...but not me, I'm in agreement with everything you've said.

TMcGee86
11/17/2007, 09:56 PM
how we keep defending this scheme is beyond me.

there was a reason I had a bad feeling going into this game, and that reason is our pass defense has been shaky at best all season.

we dont deserve a MNC chance with this D. ignore it all you want but we are not good against the pass. KU will kill us if we backdoor our way into that game.

damn I'm depressed. I knew I shouldn't have felt good about Oregons loss. Karma is making me her beyotch.

The Maestro
11/17/2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks, guys...just glad you guys agree with me.

THIS is not a championship Oklahoma team...no doubt.

LittleWingSooner
11/17/2007, 10:11 PM
You can't blame the defense for the short field and the bad offense. The defensive game plan was solid. We lost our QB and gave them good field position and have given them this game right now. Hopefully we fight back in the 2nd half. It's not over yet.

soonersweetie
11/17/2007, 10:14 PM
everytime crabtree catches the damn ball, I question it. :(

Curly Bill
11/17/2007, 10:18 PM
If OUr defensive game plan was so solid why didn't we think about covering Michael Crabtree, you know since he is statistically the #1 receiver in the nation and all of that?

GrapevineSooner
11/17/2007, 10:23 PM
You can't blame the defense for the short field and the bad offense. The defensive game plan was solid. We lost our QB and gave them good field position and have given them this game right now. Hopefully we fight back in the 2nd half. It's not over yet.

281 yards allowed through the air in one half along with 18 (EIGHT!!! teen) first downs say otherwise.

The problem is we let Harrell get in a groove and didn't do anything to get him out of it.

hOlden caUlfield...
11/17/2007, 10:26 PM
There was one play that made think we got paid to lose the game. I saw our DB's inching back further and further past the 1st down marker. He hit a wide open reciever and they didn't touch him until 3 yards past 1st. I know they didn't really get paid, but it looked like we were trying to lose.

getrdone
11/17/2007, 10:26 PM
no the defensive scheme was phukin stupid, point number one, on short yardage in man coverage you do not allow the receiver to cross your face and get inside leverage. that is exactly what they are being coached to do, or not doing what they are coached to do. either way, get em off the phukin field. oh and by the way, thanks for the phukin fumble patrick so bradford has to make the tackle and get hurt.

also two major blocks in the back on the first long td pass right in front of the offials.

we suck on d, the refs suck.

Ever
11/17/2007, 10:29 PM
I agree 100% - This game has been on the horizon all season. We've faltered against the two big spread offenses we've played and the only reason we won was because our defense has more stamina and our offense could put up points.

It's pathetic and there is absolutely zero excuse for this. He needs to be fired at the end of the season.

The Maestro
11/17/2007, 10:30 PM
23 seconds...have to punt...fake or screw up...

Stoops is earning those millions while everyone on soonerfans works their *** off for a helluva lot less than that.

Something ain't right.

The Maestro
11/17/2007, 10:33 PM
EVerybody but Lewis Baker expected that fake...

For making that much money, Stoops should take some heat.

TMcGee86
11/17/2007, 10:38 PM
Stoops is a great coach, but I cannot stand the fact that we seem to keep trying stuff till we get beat at it.

This secondary has been weak for the past 3 years. Yet nothing has changed. We just keep trying to slip past.

I just dont understand it.

Curly Bill
11/17/2007, 10:39 PM
You critical folks know you're going to be attacked and called bandwagon fans right? I've already seen it in another thread. I still don't understand why you can't be a real fan, and yet critize what so obviously needs it...

Vegas Vic
11/17/2007, 10:40 PM
It's not all Venables.

Take an honest look at the starting lineup on defense this year. How many of these players would be starters on the 2000-2004 teams?

StoopTroup
11/17/2007, 10:40 PM
Seriously...

If Sam had been able to continue playing, I think we would have scored enough on the aggies to win this.

Venables is getting the brunt as we can't keep the offense on the field.

Seeing some of our guys getting hurt is killing me worse than losing...

peanous
11/17/2007, 10:42 PM
ya know had we run the football on the first posession maybe we wouldn't have already given up a td already

StoopTroup
11/17/2007, 10:47 PM
It doesn't make sense to change what's working however...we're down 4 scores and we need to manage the clock and play some D too.

We didn't start this half off like we should have.

Ever
11/17/2007, 10:49 PM
Bandwagon my foot. I've been watching this team for years and after all the energy all the money and all the cheering we've put into this we're entitled to say when one of the coaches sucks. I will not be like an Aggie and support a fool.

The Maestro
11/17/2007, 10:55 PM
Bandwagon my foot. I've been watching this team for years and after all the energy all the money and all the cheering we've put into this we're entitled to say when one of the coaches sucks. I will not be like an Aggie and support a fool.

Well said...how many game tickets, airline tickets, beer and hotels have I spent watching OU?

A helluva lot more than Stoops, Venables and Wilson came to watch me do my job. And I have to show up more than 14 days a year!!!

birddog
11/17/2007, 11:02 PM
....will be hired as the head coach at new mexico state.

East Coast Bias
11/17/2007, 11:08 PM
Our defense is definetely the weak link, seems to be overated.TT has been run over by several teams,they are not that good.Injuries to English and Bradford haven't helped but Halzie is awefull...

OKC-SLC
11/17/2007, 11:09 PM
I hope Venables gets offered one of the jobs that are opening this season.

Unfortunately, he hasn't been hired off for a reason.

And anyway, Bob would just promote an ineffective defensive coach.

Curly Bill
11/17/2007, 11:13 PM
....will be hired as the head coach at new mexico state.

We can only hope. :D

StoopTroup
11/17/2007, 11:22 PM
Ever...

Bob Stoops is responsible for Venables.

The HC is responsible for it all IMO.

Bagging on BV and avoiding any criticism on BS is purely aggish...

I've sat through two Coaches after Gibbs that owe me a lot more money than Bob Stoops and Company.

Again...if you don't like the way things go around here, there are plenty of other places to post.

soonerfannmiddlegeorgia
11/17/2007, 11:50 PM
Sooner fans, I think we have to look at who coaches the d-backs. Its not venables fault, I think its the TEXAS NATIVE WHO USED TO COACH AT TEXAS BOBBY JACK WRIGHT. Will someone please tell me what his playing experience is and coaching experience is. For the Colorado game to go down to d-back play and this game go down as d-back play, we have to ask our selves is he the man. For me I DONT THINK SO, WHAT HAS HE DONE FOR US LATELY!!!!! LETS BE HONEST!!!

wishbonesooner
11/17/2007, 11:55 PM
We have the most stubborn coaching staff in football. We are slow as hell in changing our gameplan when it isn't working. It seems as if they will not admit that something they devised isn't working, and they just don't adjust quickly.

soonerfannmiddlegeorgia
11/17/2007, 11:58 PM
FIRE BOBBY JACK WRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

soonerfannmiddlegeorgia
11/18/2007, 12:02 AM
BOBBY JACK WRIGHT NEEDS TO GO.......HASNT PLAYED THE POSITION, AND HE DANG SURE DOENST KNOW HOW TO COACH IT....DOES ANYONE AGREE WITH THAT....

wishbonesooner
11/18/2007, 12:03 AM
You know it would be different if this only happened tonight. It is far from the only time we've gotten embarrassed by a good passer.

StoopTroup
11/18/2007, 12:03 AM
How many points did we allow in the 2nd half?

soonerfannmiddlegeorgia
11/18/2007, 12:06 AM
THEY DONT HAVE TO SCORE WITH A THREE TOUCHDOWN LEAD!!!!!

OklaPony
11/18/2007, 12:36 AM
Sooner fans, I think we have to look at who coaches the d-backs. Its not venables fault, I think its the TEXAS NATIVE WHO USED TO COACH AT TEXAS BOBBY JACK WRIGHT. Will someone please tell me what his playing experience is and coaching experience is. For the Colorado game to go down to d-back play and this game go down as d-back play, we have to ask our selves is he the man. For me I DONT THINK SO, WHAT HAS HE DONE FOR US LATELY!!!!! LETS BE HONEST!!!
Newsflash... The sputtering offense in the 2nd half was clearly our demise at Colorado.

Boarder
11/18/2007, 12:46 AM
Oh, you're right. Texas tech head coach Mike Leach decided they didn't need to score and took it easy in the second half. Sounds logical to me.

Stoops doesn't owe any fan jack crap. They've won 9 games. If you don't like how things happen quit watching or caring. I did when Dallas signed owens after being a fan for 30 years.

Boarder
11/18/2007, 12:49 AM
I hate life...

herein lies your problem. It's a football game. Empahasis on game.

getrdone
11/18/2007, 12:52 AM
it is very frustrating when our players can't even line up fundamentally sound and repeated mistakes.

when walker passes off crabtree on the td post-corner route, if you noticed and know anything about football, he has no more underneath responsibility, but he breaks off his pursuit angle flat and toward the sideline, instead of running underneath with crabtree.

TUSooner
11/18/2007, 01:02 AM
So much of this criticism is just ignorant anger looking for a scapegoat.
Our defense was shell-shocked in the 2d Q but played a great 2d half. As I recall, Tech scored only 1 TD and that was after we gave them a very short field. The D kept us in the game: If the offense had not been in a trance for that long strtech we'd have been fime. We almost won ANYWAY.
Don't mistake indignant whining for legit criticism.

And beat the **** out of the pokes

Redgiant2
11/18/2007, 01:05 AM
It's not all Venables.

Take an honest look at the starting lineup on defense this year. How many of these players would be starters on the 2000-2004 teams?

Your argument would hold more water if it hadn't taken Venables exactly one week to create the defensive juggernaut you see today. They've been playing just like this since mike left regardless of scheme. Please see the KSU game for proof.

As far as BJW is concerned he had the nations number one pass defense in 1991. Clearly an once in a life time coaching effort as he now coaches a pass defense that leaks like a bucket with the bottom missing. The defense stinks to no end irregardless of shifting players around or how much they tell us this is the best defense in the world at the beginning of the year. It's time for someone to make a change somewhere.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/18/2007, 01:10 AM
when walker passes off crabtree on the td post-corner route, if you noticed and know anything about football, he has no more underneath responsibility, but he breaks off his pursuit angle flat and toward the sideline, instead of running underneath with crabtree.

You didn't look close enough.

There was a route in the flat. Walker released (too quick, I WILL give you that, a problem all year) to the safety over and Crabtree 's corner and Harrell's eyes upfield froze D.J. for just enough time to keep from his releasing hard on the corner route. Not that it would've mattered, as the drag to the flat is what opened the route up as the corner releases the deep and the FS has to rotate in a big time hurry just to get position, let alone make a play.

If the corner hangs on the post, it opens the drag. He saw post, released to the inside, and we got torched on the double move. Plain and simple.

Damn good playcall is what that was.

mightysooner
11/18/2007, 01:10 AM
I've been flamed on here and called a non-fan repeatedly for daring to question Venables "skill sets". I truly DO NOT believe we have any chance at winning another national title with this guy commanding our defense. We've been through 4 seasons now of defensive collapses that cost us games, busted coverages over and over, little to no pass rush, and generally clueless defenses on the field that play 12 yards off the receivers and can't stop anybody when we really need them to. How is anybody still convinced that this guy is the right guy for the job? If you look at his track record, he's just not good! No more excuses for this guy Sooner fans. This is Oklahoma. Mediocrity isn't welcome here. It's time for somebody else to take over defensive responsibilities here.

Collier11
11/18/2007, 01:13 AM
Venables has nothing to do with offensive fumbles, ints, shanked punts, and the D being on the field farrrrr too long!

Stitch Face
11/18/2007, 01:13 AM
It's time for somebody else to take over defensive responsibilities here.

I'm ready!

mightysooner
11/18/2007, 01:15 AM
I'm ready!

Grab a headset. I'm ready to take chances. :D

LittleWingSooner
11/18/2007, 01:29 AM
Defense nearly won the game tonight.

If Bradford doesn't get hurt on the first play from scrimmage OU wins comfortably.

SoonerBBall
11/18/2007, 01:31 AM
I've been flamed on here and called a non-fan repeatedly for daring to question Venables "skill sets". I truly DO NOT believe we have any chance at winning another national title with this guy commanding our defense. We've been through 4 seasons now of defensive collapses that cost us games, busted coverages over and over, little to no pass rush, and generally clueless defenses on the field that play 12 yards off the receivers and can't stop anybody when we really need them to. How is anybody still convinced that this guy is the right guy for the job? If you look at his track record, he's just not good! No more excuses for this guy Sooner fans. This is Oklahoma. Mediocrity isn't welcome here. It's time for somebody else to take over defensive responsibilities here.

You might want to look at his track record a few more times.

goingoneight
11/18/2007, 01:31 AM
A lot of folks here don't seem to get football. Venables may not be the best in the business, but he didn't turn the ball over twice and only manage 6 points on offense until the 4th quarter.

They DID make halftime adjustments, that's why we came back... we just can't expect to crawl out of that deep a hole with Halzle playing so badly. Oh, wait... we did... damn, it's pretty cool to hold your opponent to 7 points on the road if you win, isn't it? But when you lose, having played 4 quarters without your staring quarterback, on the road, and lose yet another good defensive end... yeah... that MUST be Brent Venables fault, huh?

Morons.

goingoneight
11/18/2007, 01:32 AM

Seriously... last I heard, conference titles and BCS bowls don't happen for everybody.

Vegas Vic
11/18/2007, 01:32 AM
You guys do realize that Tech was held under their season average tonight, right? Harrell only averaged 5.8 yards per attempt and had a modest 2 TD's and 2 INT's.

It was OU's ineptitude offensively inside the red zone that cost them the game. Too many trips in there with nothing to show for it was the key factor.

rubyspirit
11/18/2007, 01:33 AM
Wack thread ... defense rocked tonight.

goingoneight
11/18/2007, 01:44 AM
You cannot expect to play Mike Leach on a consistent basis (which we do every year), and not give up yards and points. We adjusted at halftime and held Tech to seven in the 2nd half... on their home field.

Halzle, bless his soul... was not ready to lead the team and it showed. He came pretty damn close, though.

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
11/18/2007, 02:05 AM
The fact that we havent won a BCS bowl game Since Mike left???? Great track record.........

Vegas Vic
11/18/2007, 02:10 AM
The fact that we havent won a BCS bowl game Since Mike left???? Great track record.........

Do me a favor. Take the starting eleven players on OU's defense this year and honestly say which (if any) of them would be starters on the 2000-2004 teams. Could it be that the talent on the field might have more to do with the decline in OU's defensive performance than the coaching?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/18/2007, 02:14 AM
Your argument would hold more water if it hadn't taken Venables exactly one week to create the defensive juggernaut you see today. They've been playing just like this since mike left regardless of scheme. Please see the KSU game for proof.

this one?

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/games/boxscore.cfm?GameID=1037

Sonner magic923
11/18/2007, 02:20 AM
Do me a favor. Take the starting eleven players on OU's defense this year and honestly say which (if any) of them would be starters on the 2000-2004 teams. Could it be that the talent on the field might have more to do with the decline in OU's defensive performance than the coaching?

Reggie Smith Austin English Nic Harris to name a few. Lets dont start throwing people under the bus (players or coaches) we had an off night. At the end of the day we are still playing for the Big 12 Champ.

BASSooner
11/18/2007, 02:29 AM
Hate Venables or not. I don't have anything for him or against him at this point.

I just have one thing to point out and it is the obvious:

If we can't stop the spread, we won't see another championship picture for a loooong time

Collier11
11/18/2007, 02:29 AM
we need someone outside of English to get their hands on the qb!!!

Curly Bill
11/18/2007, 02:35 AM
we need someone outside of English to get their hands on the qb!!!

Supposing he doesn't change his mind, the arrival of R.J. Washington will be much welcomed next season.

Ever
11/18/2007, 03:11 AM
Dear Coach Venables,

You have faced two spread offenses this season that were based upon Texas Tech, Tulsa and Baylor. Both smoked your zone defense and you were lucky the offense was solid enough to get away with a win. In each of those games it was conditioning that won out. You knew full well that Tech would be able to move faster and for longer than anyone we’ve faced before, including Missouri. This game, more than any other, was expected to be brutal.

The scheme is simple. Worse than that, it’s predictable. You never play man, the defenders almost always play five yards deep with no opportunity to jam the receivers, and you allow too much across the middle. Harrell called timeout after scanning the defense in the 3rd quarter when coverage pressed the line. He saw that, thought better of it, and consulted with Leach. The defenders moved off the line when play resumed and they were smoked across the center.

Listen, on 3rd and short or 4th and short you cannot play the defenders five yards deep. The receiver will cross in below coverage, catch the ball and turn up field with momentum carrying him across the first down marker. THAT’S THE CORE OF THE SPREAD OFFENSE! LEACH USED IT AT OKLAHOMA! YOU’VE SEEN THIS EVERY TIME YOU PLAY THE SPREAD! THIS IS BASIC! W-A-K-E U-P!

Sincerely,
Sooner Nation

The_Red_Patriot
11/18/2007, 06:28 AM
Our offense choked. Our D shut Tech down in the 4th qtr.

When Oklahoma gets down, it seems like we forget to run what has worked for us alot all year.

We finally remembered we had Tight Ends in the 4th qtr.

And where in the hell was the Play action fake hit the Tight end in the endzone when we had all those chances in the red zone in the 4th qtr?

Defense didnt lose this game.

Our offense did, just like it did in Colorado

cs6000
11/18/2007, 07:53 AM
Tactically, it would be better to have the D shut down out opponent in the first quarter, when there is still time to win the game.

TripleOption14
11/18/2007, 08:51 AM
Venables has nothing to do with offensive fumbles, ints, shanked punts, and the D being on the field farrrrr too long!

EXACTLY!!! That game was over as soon as Bradford went down. I don't see how you guys can't see that. Halzle was not a threat of ANY kind. You can't ask a D to repeatedly stop a team like Tech when they get good field position and when they've been on the field non-stop because the O can't do a damn thing.

If AP does not fumble causing Bradford to have to make a tackle this is a COMPLETELY different game. As always said, turnovers cost team W's and tonight it cost us Bradford and the game. Bad things happen when the ball is turned over case and point.

OUmillenium
11/18/2007, 09:07 AM
Lots of good points here. Here are a few points from me...

1) Venables defensive scheme is too soft. Some good blitzes at times but not the type of D needed to win championships. This D will never get a 13-2 defensive battle type of win ala Orange Bowl 2000.

2) My biggest complaint with Coach Stoops is not getting the backup QB enough preparation (game snaps). We needed a change of pace QB change in the 2003 Sugar, but coaches feared PT was not ready. We never have a backup QB ready to take the reigns.

3) Get Demarco Murray on the edge, not up the middle.

The Maestro
11/18/2007, 09:20 AM
herein lies your problem. It's a football game. Empahasis on game.

Sorry, dude. I leave for work at a job I am not too crazy about with TWO bosses that love to micro manage and have a very jacked up view of reality versus expectations. I get home after the sun has gone down cause my commute is 1:30 each way. 3 hours a day in the car, brah!

So for 14 Saturday's I have OU football that gets me by. On Monday's I start thinking about the game, what I am going to eat, what I am going to drink and the fun I am going to have...so pardon me if we have a chance to play for a national title and then see it crumble before my eyes. It's Sunday morning now...and my morning commute is just 23 hours away again...now go back to enjoying your "it's just a game" comment. It's always been more than a game to me...and that ain't changing.

OUmillenium
11/18/2007, 09:24 AM
Go Maestro

It is more than a game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

StoopTroup
11/18/2007, 09:27 AM
Damn Maestro...

Sorry about your job situation. I've been there.

I hope it gets better.

The Maestro
11/18/2007, 09:28 AM
For those of you praising the defense in the second half, yes...I agree. Problem is, they allowed so many points in the first half that it didn't matter. What half you give it up is not important...it's important that you not have a half where you give up 30 points and 300 yards. That's basically what happened.

But the offensive gameplan was equally as bad. Kevin Wilson has been getting a hall pass in this thread. Yes, I know losing Sam sucked, was not KW's fault and adjustments had to be made. So why not take the pressure off of him and run, run, run...ON THE EDGES NOT UP THE MIDDLE!!! Why can our coaches not see that up the middle running is ineffective?

Allen Patrick...I guess he is not the number one Senior running back on Mel Kiper, Jr.'s big board as he was before the season. He hasn't had a signature run all season...until now. The first play at Tech is the one we will remember.

TMcGee86
11/18/2007, 11:26 AM
While the defense by no means gets a free pass to me because I can't ignore the fact that an offense is run differently when one is up by 3+ scores, I will say that the offensive game plan was really really poor at times.

I was as if KW could not understand that Bradford was not in there anymore. At least not until it was too late.

Where were the quick hitches we saw Sam throw his first game. Where were the confidence builder throws for short yardage that we needed. But mostly, why in the world were we not running down their throat all game, at the very least to take some time off the clock and keep the defense fresh.

bad.

SOONER STEAKER
11/18/2007, 11:34 AM
Brent has done a good job for 8 years. WE need someone to come in and do a reat job as d-coordinator. I hope Brent gets the Arkansas job so we can get another defensive leader.

Stitch Face
11/18/2007, 11:38 AM
Sorry, dude. I leave for work at a job I am not too crazy about with TWO bosses that love to micro manage and have a very jacked up view of reality versus expectations. I get home after the sun has gone down cause my commute is 1:30 each way. 3 hours a day in the car, brah!

So for 14 Saturday's I have OU football that gets me by. On Monday's I start thinking about the game, what I am going to eat, what I am going to drink and the fun I am going to have...so pardon me if we have a chance to play for a national title and then see it crumble before my eyes. It's Sunday morning now...and my morning commute is just 23 hours away again...now go back to enjoying your "it's just a game" comment. It's always been more than a game to me...and that ain't changing.

That is sad, and I'm not being facetious.

You should talk to a counselor or "life coach" or something about reorganizing your job plans, etc. so that the success of a college football team isn't the only thing that keeps you going.

As a doc I've been through the stress of not seeing the sun for days or weeks sometimes, 36-hour work shifts, staying at work overnight every third day, getting abused by superiors, never having a Saturday away from work. That went on literally for years. If OU's victories were the only thing I had to look forward to I wouldn't have made it.

I apologize for implying you were a bandwagon fan by losing it during the first quarter last night. I didn't realize the wagon was your home. There may be times again (I hate to say it) when we win five games a season instead of ten and you don't want to travel 3 hours back and forth from a job you hate if that's all you've got.

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 11:47 AM

Get a life.

If you were a Notre Dame fan, would you be considering suicide?

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 11:50 AM
Boy, there sure are a lot of coaches in this thread. Be sure to post your phone numbers so that Bob can call you when he isn't sure what to do.

getrdone
11/18/2007, 11:54 AM
bob doesn't need to call anyone, he needs to hold his coaches accountable for not getting it done. he knows what to do, it's just not either being coached well, or the players are not getting it.

bred24
11/18/2007, 11:55 AM
Boy, there sure are a lot of coaches in this thread. Be sure to post your phone numbers so that Bob can call you when he isn't sure what to do.

This is my favorite post on sports message boards. Go feel inferior somewhere else! And you know what there are a lot of people on this board that would've kept pressuring Harrell. After the first 3 series. It was working why rush three and play 10 yds of the receivers???

Collier11
11/18/2007, 12:21 PM
my biggest complaint is that halzle looked scared to death. If Nichol is that bad why did we recruit him? Halzle was never meant to play at OU, nichol has all the athleticism in the world and a rocket arm. If Halzle is truly better than Nichol and Bradford has to miss more time, we are in trouble!

tulsaoilerfan
11/18/2007, 12:59 PM
So maybe they need to recruit better players on defense then?

Collier11
11/18/2007, 01:21 PM
Get a life.

If you were a Notre Dame fan, would you be considering suicide?

Youre a F*cktard!! I think some of you are taking him a little serious right or wrong! The point of it is, we live in OKlahoma. Oklahoma stands for good people and good football! I am somewhat the same, while I dont hate my job, I start thinking about the next game on Sunday morning, I start thinking about next season the day after the natl title game. I love OU football, always have and always will. Under Blake, you supported because it is still your team and you know the players are busting their azzes. Under Stoops, expectations have been raised, we expect Greatnes every single year and while reality tells us we will only see "true" greatness every so often in the form of a natl title, it is still hard to take it when Ou does lose. Especially to an inferior opponent which has happened twice this year!

Collier11
11/18/2007, 01:22 PM
FYI! My gf is still ****ed that when we lost I kicked my cooler across the deck in front of all of our friends and "embarrassed her", I told her to mind her own business :)

Stitch Face
11/18/2007, 01:30 PM
FYI! My gf is still ****ed that when we lost I kicked my cooler across the deck in front of all of our friends and "embarrassed her", I told her to mind her own business :)

You go, Casanova!

boomersooner2000
11/18/2007, 01:34 PM

I totally agree. BUT, BV does control the 5-7 yard cushion that Marcus and Reggie give the receivers on EVERY freakin' play! He also controls the zone defense that we've been running all year. CHANGE UP THE SCHEMES!!! I've been biting my tounge all season, because I don't want to be one of the fans that says fire a coach after a loss, but what is aggravating to me is that we don't just get beat on one blown coverage deep pass, it's the same thing week in and week out. Teams nickel and dime us down the middle of the field and BV has yet to change it up.

Sure he made adjustments at halftime, which is good, but those adjustments were needed when Tech went up 13-7.

BV is a great Linebacker coach IMO, but it's time for a change at DC. Get some fresh ideas and schemes into play. It's almost like BV is refusing to admit that this Cover 2 scheme isn't working.

When do you say enough is enough?

Collier11
11/18/2007, 01:53 PM
You go, Casanova!

yea she's not too keen on how "in to the game" I get :confused:

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 01:55 PM
Halzle was never meant to play at OU

Those comments are out of line and have no business being posted on this board.

Stitch Face
11/18/2007, 01:58 PM
You know, the Dropkick Murphys' version of Guns of Brixton kicks ***.

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 02:07 PM
Youre a F*cktard!! I think some of you are taking him a little serious right or wrong! The point of it is, we live in OKlahoma. Oklahoma stands for good people and good football!

I want Oklahoma to stand for more than that, frankly.

I am somewhat the same, while I dont hate my job, I start thinking about the next game on Sunday morning, I start thinking about next season the day after the natl title game. I love OU football, always have and always will. Under Blake, you supported because it is still your team and you know the players are busting their azzes. Under Stoops, expectations have been raised, we expect Greatnes every single year and while reality tells us we will only see "true" greatness every so often in the form of a natl title, it is still hard to take it when Ou does lose. Especially to an inferior opponent which has happened twice this year!

Whether OU wins or not says nothing about who I am. I have a friend that is a Rice fan because he got his doctorate there. Are you really suggesting that I am in some way superior because my football team wins and his doesn't?

Some of you need some PERSPECTIVE. It's a fun game that some of you are blowing out of proportion. Sure, losing is no fun and I feel bad when the Sooners lose. But as long as they play as hard as they can, I have no complaints. If I did, then I would be obliged to suit up myself.

Some of the fans in here are the same type that wanted Barry fired after his third four-loss season. How many in here would have tolerated a third four-loss season in a row from Stoops?

The phrase "great expectations" is just a euphemism for "malcontent."

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 02:11 PM
Everything the Dropkick Murphys do kicks ***.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B-0PLPLpOpo

Collier11
11/18/2007, 02:15 PM
I want Oklahoma to stand for more than that, frankly.

Whether OU wins or not says nothing about who I am. I have a friend that is a Rice fan because he got his doctorate there. Are you really suggesting that I am in some way superior because my football team wins and his doesn't?

Some of you need some PERSPECTIVE. It's a fun game that some of you are blowing out of proportion. Sure, losing is no fun and I feel bad when the Sooners lose. But as long as they play as hard as they can, I have no complaints. If I did, then I would be obliged to suit up myself.

Some of the fans in here are the same type that wanted Barry fired after his third four-loss season. How many in here would have tolerated a third four-loss season in a row from Stoops?

The phrase "great expectations" is just a euphemism for "malcontent."

I dont think at any point did I criticize Stoops in a way that I want him gone, I would not want any other Coach than Coach Stoops.

As far as the perspective goes, Ou football does not define my life except on Saturdays in the fall. I dont hate myself if Ou loses, I dont hate anyone else if Ou loses and I dont feel the need to jump off a bridge. But it does hurt to see my team lose to a team that we are better than, two diff times!

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 02:15 PM
Go feel inferior somewhere else!

Oh, thinking you can coach somehow makes you feel superior?

Heh.

And you know what there are a lot of people on this board that would've kept pressuring Harrell.

How many points did Tech score in the second half? Seven?

Curly Bill
11/18/2007, 02:23 PM
How many points did Tech score in the second half? Seven?

Looks to me like they scored just enough..you know since they'd already built up a big half-time lead.

Desert Sapper
11/18/2007, 02:28 PM

THEY ARE TEXAS TECH! THEY WILL SCORE IF THEY CAN!

Fact is, they couldn't score much in the second half, mostly due to adjustments.

And stop yelling, it is hurting my ears.;)

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 02:36 PM
Looks to me like they scored just enough..you know since they'd already built up a big half-time lead.

So BV's no-pressure defense is what cost us the game? If so, what type of defense was he running in the second half?

Curly Bill
11/18/2007, 02:45 PM
So BV's no-pressure defense is what cost us the game? If so, what type of defense was he running in the second half?

Pretty much the same one he always runs, time...after time...after time...well, you get the point. Nah, I think they played better in the 2nd half too, but what some of you apparently fail to realize is they don't erase the score at the half and start over, so the terrible first half OUr D played doesn't give them a pass because they played better in the 2nd half. Besides that TT had a big enough lead that I think quite frankly they took the foot off the accelerator, and yeah it nearly cost them, which would have of course been great for us, and exactly what they deserved.

bred24
11/18/2007, 02:47 PM
Pretty much the same one he always runs, time...after time...after time...well, you get the point. Nah, I think they played better in the 2nd half too, but what some of you apparently fail to realize is they don't erase the score at the half and start over, so the terrible first half OUr D played doesn't give them a pass because they played better in the 2nd half. Besides that TT had a big enough lead that I think quite frankly they took the foot off the accelerator, and yeah it nearly cost them, which would have of course been great for us, and exactly what they deserved.

Exactly!! Just like when TT played at OSU. They eased up on the gas pedal. If TT was doing the same damn thing we wouldn't have stopped them.

Collier11
11/18/2007, 04:03 PM
Those comments are out of line and have no business being posted on this board.

There is nothing wrong with that statement, it isnt a shot at Halzle, it is just an observation that many would back up. He is not a big time qb, he looked lost and scared last night, he does not have the skill level to play qb for OU. Nothing about that is out of line or derrogatory to the person.

The Maestro
11/18/2007, 04:39 PM
Good Lord...the comment was really made in the heat of the moment of the game, vodka enhanced, and I have plenty of a life here in the AZ, there Leroy.

Traffic sucks and a lot of people aren't crazy about work. NO big deal.

The Maestro is fine...I have a great family and not enough free time. No boo hooing for me. That's fairly normal.

Theskipster
11/18/2007, 04:42 PM
There is nothing wrong with that statement, it isnt a shot at Halzle, it is just an observation that many would back up. He is not a big time qb, he looked lost and scared last night, he does not have the skill level to play qb for OU. Nothing about that is out of line or derrogatory to the person.

Halzle did pretty damn well when you consider the situationhe was put in. Halzle may not be Jason White or Sam Bradford, but he didn't go out and lose the game for us either.

I'm quite happy that Halzle chose to be a Sooner.

You are out of line on this one. You want to kick off Jacob Gutierrez for not being an elite running back too?

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 05:06 PM
Nah, I think they played better in the 2nd half too, but what some of you apparently fail to realize is they don't erase the score at the half and start over, so the terrible first half OUr D played doesn't give them a pass because they played better in the 2nd half.

So in other words, when the D works it is because the players are playing well; when it doesn't it is because of the scheme.

Face it: The same defensive coordinator was on the sideline for both halves.

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 05:07 PM
Good Lord...the comment was really made in the heat of the moment of the game, vodka enhanced, and I have plenty of a life here in the AZ, there Leroy.

Well, maybe you should sober up before posting.

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 05:10 PM
There is nothing wrong with that statement, it isnt a shot at Halzle, it is just an observation that many would back up. He is not a big time qb, he looked lost and scared last night, he does not have the skill level to play qb for OU.

Halzle could have played for someone else, but he chose to play for the Sooners. For that I am grateful. I appreciate ALL of the players on our roster. You should too.

The Maestro
11/18/2007, 05:11 PM

Uh...hey, dumbass. It was during an OU game and this is soonerfans.com...I guess you aren't aware of the audience, Einstein.

By the way...do you enjoy sounding like a Mommy when you say stuff like this?

Gawd, what a goober...I guess you're the hall monitor type.

85sooners
11/18/2007, 05:35 PM
:hot:

freshchris05
11/18/2007, 05:39 PM

because SF.com is strictly family place... :rolleyes:

you know how many times i've posted on here drunk?

Bwahahahahahahhahahahaha

tulsaoilerfan
11/18/2007, 05:46 PM
Surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet

Tulsa_Fireman
11/18/2007, 05:47 PM
I just popped fourteen boners reading this, Tulsaoilerfan.

That oughta do it. ;)

hOlden caUlfield...
11/18/2007, 06:26 PM
Some of you guys are way too sensitive. Why are some of you even on here? This is a board to talk about sports. Express opinions and stuff. I will not give you my opinions on who or who did not lose this game because you guys might tell on me. I'll sum it up by saying i agree with the maestro.

Leroy Lizard
11/18/2007, 06:46 PM
By the way...do you enjoy sounding like a Mommy when you say stuff like this?

Did your Mommy tell you not to live your life through the success of a sports team? If not, she should have.

Big Red Ron
11/18/2007, 06:54 PM
I didn't read through this thing but I imagine it ranks right up there in th "Worst Thread EVAR" category.

GottaHavePride
11/18/2007, 07:04 PM
1. Indeed, this thread is also retarded, and as such will be closed.

2. Every team is going to have a down game and lose to someone they shouldn't every once in a while. OU has had far less of those than any other team in the country over the past seven years. Considering that before the season started we were picked to finish second in the south division and are currently still leading the division through our tiebreaker over Texas... I'd say the team has been overachieving most of the year thanks to Bradford.

3. I'm gonna throw this out there: enjoying some beers during a football game is normal. If you need to be drunk to enjoy a football game, you might be an alcoholic.