PDA

View Full Version : Houston Nutt - gone...

landrun
11/16/2007, 07:33 PM
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas head football coach Houston Nutt will not return in 2008, 40/29 News has learned.

More: Video | Survey | Discuss

Multiple sources have confirmed with 40/29 sports director Mark Lericos that Nutt will be leaving at the end of the season. Sources could not confirm whether Nutt would offer his resignation, be fired or possibly accept another position.

There is no word of any plans for an official announcement. The Razorbacks still have two games left to play this season.

Tune in to 40/29 News at 5 p.m. for complete details.

http://www.4029tv.com/sports/14619737/detail.html

Maybe he'll end up at aTm ? :D :D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2007, 07:35 PM
http://www.4029tv.com/sports/14619737/detail.html

Maybe he'll end up at aTm ? :D :D

No..The ATM adminstration is too dillusional. They probably think they have a shot at Bob or Vince Lombardi

Stitch Face
11/16/2007, 07:36 PM
I'm beginning to think I have a halfway decent chance of landing a head coaching job next year.

85sooners
11/16/2007, 08:00 PM
lol

peanous
11/16/2007, 08:58 PM
Nutt is gone but the peanous is still here

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2007, 08:59 PM
His cousin will replace him

TwoTon Nutts
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d82/fymmusic/swagger2.jpg

phead903
11/16/2007, 09:08 PM
No..The ATM adminstration is too dillusional. They probably think they have a shot at Bob or Vince Lombardi

Who is Bob Lombardi?:confused: :D

Flying Scotsman
11/16/2007, 09:26 PM
Vince Stoops??

goingoneight
11/16/2007, 10:27 PM
what's a "dillusional?" :confused:

sooneron
11/16/2007, 10:29 PM
Mike Leach to Arkansas.

You heard it from me first, folks.

Of course, he could go to ucla.

badger
11/16/2007, 10:31 PM
God answers prayer...
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i226/adrianthomas74/DearGodPlsMakeItStopcopy.png
Nutt's firing and our prayer request for Zona to win yesterday prove it :D

Sooner02
11/16/2007, 11:25 PM
I'm hearing from a source that Baylor wants him.

OKLA21FAN
11/16/2007, 11:27 PM
He has a history of going to Okie Lite after the Hog are done with him.

it could happen......really!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/16/2007, 11:39 PM
He has a history of going to Okie Lite after the Hog are done with him.

it could happen......really!It SHOULD happen. i'm quite fine with Mike Gundy there, but Nutt would be okay, too. Mike Gundy COULD go to Maroon aggy after Fran is cut out.

OU-HSV
11/16/2007, 11:41 PM
Maybe Nebraska is gonna give Nutt a second chance (that is assuming they actually gave him that first chance a couple years ago)

badger
11/16/2007, 11:42 PM
It SHOULD happen. i'm quite fine with Mike Gundy there, but Nutt would be okay, too. Mike Gundy COULD go to Maroon aggy after Fran is cut out.
You forget... Gundy wants to be an Aggie. I know, Aggie Logic at its best, but that's why T Boner wanted him as coach, because Gundy was a Poke and wouldn't leave for a better program when the opportunity arrived. That's probably why Baylor wants its hotshot alum who's currently assistant coaching for San Fran.

SicEmBaylor
11/16/2007, 11:54 PM
Oh God........it looks like we may have got him. =(
http://hootens.com/Articles/ArticleViewer.aspx?ArticleID=e9eeacd4-09d3-46f6-90be-0ac8d68e4b9b

Houston Nutt OUT at Arkansas, headed for Baylor

Chad Hooten
Updated: 11/16/2007

Hootens.com learned Thursday morning this will be Houston Nutt's final season as head football coach at the University of Arkansas.

Sources close to the program say UA recently told Nutt his final game as head coach of the Hogs will be next Friday (Nov. 23) at LSU.

Nutt's name has been linked to possible head coaching positions at SMU, Baylor, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Memphis and other universities the past few months.

Hootens.com sources say Nutt and Baylor have agreed on a $2 million a year deal.

Former Baylor Bear and Chicago Bear great Mike Singletary was reportedly Baylor's top choice.

badger
11/16/2007, 11:57 PM
the sympathy card is in the mail, sic'em ;)

SicEmBaylor
11/17/2007, 12:04 AM
If we hired him then I may very possibly become physically ill.

mdklatt
11/17/2007, 12:24 AM
I pity whoever gets that job. Arkansas fans are the most obnoxious and delusional kooks out there. I'd much rather deal with UT and oSu fans than them. :eek:

SicEmBaylor
11/17/2007, 12:29 AM
Does anyone have a link to the Arkie message boards?

AllAboutThe'O'
11/17/2007, 12:42 AM
Does anyone have a link to the Arkie message boards?
The best one is www.hogville.net.

And, as an Arkansas alum, I'm doing a happy dance right now.:D
I wish "The Dale" best of luck at Baylor, but I think you would have been better off hiring Mike Singletary.

SicEmBaylor
11/17/2007, 12:47 AM

mdklatt
11/17/2007, 01:00 AM
So Nutt left a "powerhouse" program for Baylor? Ha! I'm sure he merely jumped ship before they could throw him overboard, but ha! Maybe that will bring the Arkansas fans back down to earth about their real place in the CFB world. On second thought, they're probably sure they can get Bob Stoops.

But we have hills and trees! :rolleyes:

colleyvillesooner
11/17/2007, 01:02 AM
I think I speak for everyone when I say "heh"

SicEmBaylor
11/17/2007, 01:05 AM
So Nutt left a "powerhouse" program for Baylor? Ha! I'm sure he merely jumped ship before they could throw him overboard, but ha! Maybe that will bring the Arkansas fans back down to earth about their real place in the CFB world. On second thought, they're probably sure they can get Bob Stoops.

We also gave him a pay raise. :sigh:

mdklatt
11/17/2007, 01:10 AM
We also gave him a pay raise. :sigh:

You've got the money. Maybe Baylor should follow the oSu model and try to buy a football program. You got any T Boones of your own? Hell, taking up a collection at Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano should one Sunday should net a million or so.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/17/2007, 01:13 AM

It's not any different than Tubby Smith leaving Kentucky for the basketball job in Minnesota. Or Bill Curry leaving Alabama to coach at Kentucky.

mdklatt
11/17/2007, 01:15 AM
It's not any different than Tubby Smith leaving Kentucky for the basketball job in Minnesota. Or Bill Curry leaving Alabama to coach at Kentucky.

Didn't Curry get outright fired first?

AllAboutThe'O'
11/17/2007, 02:02 AM
Didn't Curry get outright fired first?
No, he bolted Alabama for Kentucky, much like Fran did when he skedaddled off to Aggieland. And Curry was less popular than Fran was (before Fran stabbed Bama in the back, of course).

11/17/2007, 02:15 AM
I pity whoever gets that job. Arkansas fans are the most obnoxious and delusional kooks out there. I'd much rather deal with UT and oSu fans than them. :eek:They remind me of Leslie State, but without any recent successes. I have a friend here in PHX who is an Arkieist, and he's pretty delusional, thinking of Ark as a top program. He would be insufferable if they actually were good.

CORNholio
11/17/2007, 03:07 AM
They remind me of Leslie State, but without any recent successes. I have a friend here in PHX who is an Arkieist, and he's pretty delusional, thinking of Ark as a top program. He would be insufferable if they actually were good.

Pretty much sums up the whole arkie fanbase. They still think they were seconds form winning a MNC in 98 when they were only like 9-0. They pretty much blame all of their suckitude on Nutt and completely ignore the fact that they had sucked long before he swept them off their feet.

Arkie=Banjo Aggie

yermom
11/17/2007, 03:22 AM
Baylor would be thrilled with the record he has at Arkansas

TheHumanAlphabet
11/17/2007, 03:55 AM
Noone's mentioned, perhaps Singletary was happy in the NFL or perhaps he overbid himself... I'm sorry, if Morris couldn't get BU going, what's to think Nutt could? I'm not seeing the fire of a coach from him. He recruited players due to 1. Arkie - no recruitin' necessary and 2. He hired the best Offensive mind he had to get one player, then lost both the next year...

AllAboutThe'O'
11/17/2007, 04:19 AM
Pretty much sums up the whole arkie fanbase. They still think they were seconds form winning a MNC in 98 when they were only like 9-0. They pretty much blame all of their suckitude on Nutt and completely ignore the fact that they had sucked long before he swept them off their feet.

Arkie=Banjo Aggie
It's one thing I hate about most Arkansas fans. They still think had they beat Tennessee in '98 they would have won the national title. Just like they still dwell on a dropped interception against Miami in '88 that prevented the Hogs from achieving a perfect regular season. In '98, had they won, they would have had to play Tennessee again in the SEC title game and it was going to be tough beating the Vols a second time. Also, people blame QB Clint Stoerner for the ill-advised fumble but they don't blame the defense that folded like a cheap tent when they had to make one more stop against Tennessee.
Nutt was a great short-term hire for the Hogs. He won his first two years with players Danny Ford recruited. Ford was like Howard *************** times five; his best days were well beyond him but he knew the SEC and was able to stock SEC-caliber players. He just couldn't bring the fire anymore so Ford was canned. Then Nutt won with Ford's players and once they left, his recruits were fairly mediocre. Nutt got lucky with Matt Jones, who saved Nutt's bacon several times, and McFadden, but those players were few and far between.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/17/2007, 04:23 AM
They remind me of Leslie State, but without any recent successes. I have a friend here in PHX who is an Arkieist, and he's pretty delusional, thinking of Ark as a top program. He would be insufferable if they actually were good.
Arkansas has 10 times the potential of OSU. They've got world-class facilities, an upgraded stadium, a big weight room and big-time statewide support that OSU fans could only dream about. But what's hurt Arkansas is some small-minded bigwigs that settle for mediocrity and don't have what it takes to bring an athletic program into the 21st century. That was Frank Broyles' big shortcoming, FWIW. And you thought that Boone Pickens was a big-time donor, Arkansas has several just like T. Boone, like the Tysons and the Waltons, but unlike T. Boone, they really haven't upped the ante to make Arkansas big-time.

Flagstaffsooner
11/17/2007, 05:43 AM
SicEm, just think of the excitement that Nutt will bring to Waco. A regular circus, no more having to pee on bars to generate football news at Baylor.

The show between the Baptist starch panties and Houston Nutt will be The Greatest Show on Earth.;)

AllAboutThe'O'
11/17/2007, 05:47 AM
SicEm, just think of the excitement that Nutt will bring to Waco. A regular circus, no more having to pee on bars to generate football news at Baylor.

The show between the Baptist starch panties and Houston Nutt will be The Greatest Show on Earth.;)
And I betcha the TV news anchors in Waco are hotter than the ones in NWA. That's also right up Nutt's alley.

yur-out
11/17/2007, 07:09 AM
And you thought that Boone Pickens was a big-time donor, Arkansas has several just like T. Boone, like the Tysons and the Waltons, but unlike T. Boone, they really haven't upped the ante to make Arkansas big-time.
That's true they haven't upped the ante, I've never seen them on tv at a football game.;)

swardboy
11/17/2007, 08:20 AM
If SicEm is indicative of the normal Baylor fan, how can they do this? Shouldn't a fan base be excited about the new hire?

Yes, I opened that door wide open....who shall take the first step through?

ruf/nekdad
11/17/2007, 08:26 AM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/lbrownie/sec-coaches-south-park.jpg

CORNholio
11/17/2007, 11:04 AM
Arkansas has 10 times the potential of OSU. They've got world-class facilities, an upgraded stadium, a big weight room and big-time statewide support that OSU fans could only dream about. But what's hurt Arkansas is some small-minded bigwigs that settle for mediocrity and don't have what it takes to bring an athletic program into the 21st century. That was Frank Broyles' big shortcoming, FWIW. And you thought that Boone Pickens was a big-time donor, Arkansas has several just like T. Boone, like the Tysons and the Waltons, but unlike T. Boone, they really haven't upped the ante to make Arkansas big-time.

I see the comparison in the dellusions of the two fanbases. They both seem out of touch with cfb reality. Both have tasted short-lived success and both blow it out of proportion. And plz don't give me the one MNC for Arkie from like 69 or something, even Minnesota got a few back then. Arkie fans think they belong in a sentence with Notre Dame, Michigan, Suc, tOSU, Texas, etc.....just like pokie fans do. Arkie may have a bit more potential for success but that just makes them even more aggie for having sucked so long.

I reitterate--Arkie=banjo aggie

11/17/2007, 11:30 AM
If SicEm is indicative of the normal Baylor fan, how can they do this? Shouldn't a fan base be excited about the new hire?

Yes, I opened that door wide open....who shall take the first step through?Waco is the armpit of the Central Plains. IMO, a negative atmosphere throughout the whole city. A city of tightwads.
Seems like Guy Moriss is a good coach. Where will he end up going?

min00
11/17/2007, 11:45 AM
One thing Ark has more of is $$$$

badger
11/17/2007, 11:57 AM
I think there is a good reason not to be excited at Baylor...

They got Guy Morriss from Kentucky, another SEC program, who nearly led them to a victory over awesome LSU (remember the bluegrass miracle?) and we see how well Morriss did.

A tribute... to the Morriss era at Baylor:

-ISU... is still the equivalent of Baylor in the North, which isn't always bad, because they can upset conference opponents.
-Colorado... your first conference win. According to some students I talked to, this completely transformed the Baylor campus for one week!
-Kansas... proof that a new guy can come in and win big... with an easy non-conf sched.
-Mizz... ummm... whatev.
-Nebraska... today, you are equals with one of the best programs in the Big 12 and college football history: You both hate your coach and they are already fired and everyone knows it.
-KSU... proof that mediocrity is only temporary and there is light at the end of the very, very long tunnel.

And the South...
- Oklahoma State... you escaped the bottom of the South division thanks to these guys. Give a waving wheat on your way out for Mike Gundy, who in his first season, sank even below you guys!
- Oklahoma... you nearly beat us in overtime at Owen Field. You caused traffic jams that are usually a little easier because fans didn't want to leave. Kudos where they're due...
- Texas Tech... you never really played well against them and while they've risen to #2 in Texas, you have... not. Sorry.
- Texas... you took three points off the board on the opening drive at home because Guy got greedy. Alas, you were then shutout.
- Texas A&M... the best for last. You have created a rivalry that shouldn't exist. You have made Fran so embarrassed and angry that he won't even shake Guy's hand anymore. Best of all, you beat them on a gutsy call in overtime and nearly beat them again in the following year.

So, there are some highlights in that ol' Baylor line. You created a new rivalry, you weren't at the bottom of the division for once, you had conference wins that invigorated your fans temporarily. It can be done! Baylor can win!

StoopTroup
11/17/2007, 11:59 AM
Mmmmm....the nuggety goodness...

http://www.peteglover.com/images/candy_honey%20payday.jpg

SicEmBaylor
11/17/2007, 12:27 PM

Yes, I opened that door wide open....who shall take the first step through?

The overwhelming majority of Baylor fans, the ones I've talked to at least, want Singletary. I personally think he's a huge gamble, but he's a gamble that I'm willing to take for the purposes of finally uniting the fan base and what not.

I've talked to a couple of people who dont' think Nutt would be too bad. If he could replicate what he did at Arkansas at Baylor then he'd be considered a hero. The problem is, I think his success at Arkansas should be judged relative to the conference that he's in and the school he's coaching. He did a miserable job at Arkansas which should have been performing better than it was. My take is that he won't lift Baylor up to the level of Arkansas but cause Baylor to further decline relative to who we are in the conference (if that's possible)

I'll tell you this right now though, the Baylor fan base can probably deal with Singletary turning us down assuming we didn't try to do it on the cheap. If it turns out that Singletary wasn't even offered the job then I gurantee you there will be Green and Gold clad fans wielding pitchforks and torches collectively marching on the homes of our BORs.

tulsaoilerfan
11/17/2007, 12:37 PM
I think this would be the first time a coach is hired at another school before he is fired at his current job :)

AzianSooner
11/17/2007, 12:38 PM
Houston Nutt can do magical at ATM due to his recruiting skill and coaching skill.

mdklatt
11/17/2007, 12:40 PM
Arkie fans think they belong in a sentence with Notre Dame, Michigan, Suc, tOSU, Texas, etc.....just like pokie fans do.

Even poke fans aren't that delusional. Now they think they could compete with those teams on any given Saturday, but they don't think they're an elite program. Their delusion is that they will be an elite program...next year. It's always about next year if you're an oSu fan.

OUinFLA
11/17/2007, 12:51 PM
I gurantee you there will be Green and Gold clad fans wielding pitchforks and torches collectively marching on the homes of our BORs.

This is not a flattering image for a Baptist school.

:D

Flagstaffsooner
11/17/2007, 12:59 PM
This is not a flattering image for a Baptist school.

:DAfter all the crap with their Basketball program a few years ago pitchforks and torches would be rather mellow.:)

AzianSooner
11/17/2007, 01:06 PM
one quality that Nutts is the best candidate for ATM is that he loves to beat texas and he did beat texas.

At ATM, he can do the "boooked Horn down" all he wants and no appology required.

SicEmBaylor
11/17/2007, 01:13 PM
After all the crap with their Basketball program a few years ago pitchforks and torches would be rather mellow.:)

That wasn't our fault though. You can take the boy out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the boy.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/17/2007, 01:24 PM
one quality that Nutts is the best candidate for ATM is that he loves to beat texas and he did beat texas.

At ATM, he can do the "boooked Horn down" all he wants and no appology required.
If Nutty coached every game like he did against Texas, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Nutt went 2-1 vs. the Horns, and very easily could've been 3-0. He grew up with the old Arkansas-Texas SWC rivalry, and knew what it meant to the Razorback fans, so he had an entirely different mindset going up against Texas than he did against, say, Kentucky and Vanderbilt. Having a winning record vs. the Horns is one of the very few things he did right as the Razorbacks' coach. I'm sure that he can get BU or A&M up for the old SWC rivals.

TexasEx4OU
11/17/2007, 01:27 PM
...right up Nutt's alley.

Gross.

AzianSooner
11/17/2007, 01:33 PM
I believe Houston Nutt to Big 12 will make this conference is more competitive. But ofcourse, ATM has plenty of money to go courtin ANY coach that it wants to.

SicEmBaylor
11/17/2007, 01:36 PM
I believe Houston Nutt to Big 12 will make this conference is more competitive. But ofcourse, ATM has plenty of money to go courtin ANY coach that it wants to.
Nutt would be a better fit at Aggie than Baylor.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/17/2007, 02:30 PM
Nutt would be a better fit at Aggie than Baylor.
"God, do I love that maroon helmet. And do I love these kids; they're precious and special and they're privileged to be Aggies. And I'm privileged to be coaching at such a fine institution of higher learning. Boy, I tell you, whenever we come out of our locker room and hit the turf at Kyle Field and see that Fightin' Aggie Band performing, it just gives me chills. Chills, brother. And then I go over to the sideline and see President Bush flashing the 'Gig 'Em' sign at me. That just flabbergasts me, brutha, even though I voted Democrat. And then I see that 12th man go crazy and it's just special. Just special, brother. This is the greatest place on Earth, and all these Aggies make it so special. Makes us honored to be Aggies. There's no other place I would rather be than in College Station, USA. It would be better if we had more hot TV news anchors here, though; it's hard to see the ones from Houston all the time."