PDA

View Full Version : hey old timey Sooner fans

picasso
11/16/2007, 03:20 PM
for those of you who have spoken of Little Red. There's a pic in the Tulsa World today:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2007/071116_B1_hFift47475_OU_3856680c.jpg
yeah yeah, we lost but still pretty cool.

cvsooner
11/16/2007, 03:31 PM
Bad mojo to put that photo up, dude. Maybe crop it so all we see is Little Red.

SoonerInHouston
11/16/2007, 03:34 PM
Cool. Little Red was still around my first couple years at OU. At the time I knew of no one who thought his presence was insulting to Native Americans. Even Little Red himself was very disappointed when OU decided to get rid of him. The clothes he wore and the dances he performed were always authentic Native American. Really a shame, especially considering other schools who still use Native Americans as mascots, FSU for one example.

toast
11/16/2007, 03:43 PM
no wonder we lost, we had Dean Blevins on the sidelines.

AzianSooner
11/16/2007, 04:07 PM
My dad was in diaper then. My grandpa must be as old as the guy dressed as the Medicine Chief Wild Dog standing on the sideline.

picasso
11/16/2007, 05:19 PM
Bad mojo to put that photo up, dude. Maybe crop it so all we see is Little Red.
yeah I thought about that but I'm Potawatomi. My medicine is the strongest there is.

85Sooner
11/16/2007, 06:28 PM
Has anyone ever seen an interview (now or then ) with one of the "little Reds" I am sure there were more than one.

Big Red Ron
11/16/2007, 07:25 PM
yeah I thought about that but I'm Potawatomi. My medicine is the strongest there is.Nuh Uh, said the local Choctaw chieftain.

;)

This is just further proof that Nebraska pulled an okie state on us with the whole Big Red "lil' Red" thing.

tomtom
11/16/2007, 07:38 PM
i remember a ou student by the name of randy palmer who i think was the last little red. he hated it when he had to give up being mascot.

Big Red Ron
11/16/2007, 07:59 PM
i remember a ou student by the name of randy palmer who i think was the last little red. he hated it when he had to give up being mascot.That's pretty cool. I think we should start a movement to bring Little Red back.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/16/2007, 08:41 PM
I think Kirk Kickingbird was the Little Red when I was at OU, '63-'67. Somebody do the Google and post it, eh?

AlbqSooner
11/16/2007, 08:45 PM
Dixon Palmer from Anadarko was Little Red. Not sure who Randy Palmer is, but I suspect it is either a son or another name for Dixon. He is Kiowa and his clothing as well as his dance were indeed Kiowa. He was not some New Jersey Italian riding a horse into the stadium at Free Shoes U and acting foolish.

Blues1
11/16/2007, 08:51 PM
I was 15 years old when that photo was taken, I have seen it before,and it's great to see it again...Yes we Lost - but we did it STYLE...One year earlier
(1956) I sat in the end zone stands in South Bend Indiana and watch our Sooners destroy Norte Dame 40 to zip...!!!!! - :)
AND One week before that photo I sat in the Stands in Colulmibia Mo. and watch our Sooners win 39 to 14 for our 47th game of our 47 Win Streak....!!!!

Have Fun & Keep Rockin' -- :)

usmc-sooner
11/16/2007, 08:56 PM
Dixon Palmer from Anadarko was Little Red. Not sure who Randy Palmer is, but I suspect it is either a son or another name for Dixon. He is Kiowa and his clothing as well as his dance were indeed Kiowa. He was not some New Jersey Italian riding a horse into the stadium at Free Shoes U and acting foolish.

Dixon is Randy's dad. I know Randy was Lil Red for a while, don't know if Dixon ever was. If Dixon was Lil Red it was way back in the 40's. I pretty sure Dixon was WWII vet. Yes they are Kiowa.

tomtom
11/16/2007, 09:22 PM

iron eyes cody was indeed italian

sanantoniosooner
11/16/2007, 09:24 PM
yeah I thought about that but I'm Potawatomi. My medicine is the strongest there is.
I grew up in Potawatomi County.

We might be related.

101sooner
11/16/2007, 09:36 PM
People of the Place of the Fire.

I'm from Wannette.

Okla-homey
11/16/2007, 10:51 PM
Kirk Kickingbird almost wore hisself out dancing after Greg Pruitt touchdowns.

David Boren killed Little Red, and I'll never forgive him for that. In so doing, Boren also robbed a lot of Indian boys an opportunity for a college education via the Little Red scholarship.

Jacie
11/16/2007, 11:09 PM
Did Little Red, the last one I guess, make an appearance after being officially retired? I think it would have been 72 or 73 against saxet.

Soonerfan88
11/17/2007, 01:42 AM
I've sent a few emails about bringing back a more "PC" version of Little Red (obviously, the name would have to change). Basically, the answer is that it would have to be initiated by the tribes and would be more of a university cultural representative instead of an athletic mascot. San Diego State was able to bring back the Aztec warrior so it can be done. So if any of you are tribal members, bring it up to your council and maybe OU can create a Native American Spirit Group as honored scholarship positions.

47straight
11/17/2007, 02:06 AM
Kirk Kickingbird almost wore hisself out dancing after Greg Pruitt touchdowns.

David Boren killed Little Red, and I'll never forgive him for that. In so doing, Boren also robbed a lot of Indian boys an opportunity for a college education via the Little Red scholarship.

Similarly, maybe in a generation nooone will know that the "Illini" was even a tribe at all.

Desert Sapper
11/17/2007, 02:08 AM
...Boren also robbed a lot of Indian boys an opportunity for a college education via the Little Red scholarship.

This is the real travesty. Damn we need to bring him back. Hell, being that we don't have anything celebrating 'Native America' at the University of Oklahoma football games (which is a bit silly, given the nature and history of the great state of OK), maybe we need to bring in a whole damn team of dancers and give them all scholarships. That would at least be some form of justice.