PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dixon's injury

The Maestro
11/16/2007, 11:41 AM
While I think it sucks for the guy and I actually enjoy watching him play cause I think he runs like VY but passes better, it is just apart of the game and you have to be ready for it. If a quarterback so unsuited to run your offense is your backup, you are an injury away from being down by 20 at 4-6 Arizona, even if you are the second ranked team. And, as I recall...

Jamelle and Lydell go down vs. OSU in 1987...CT and Rotnei stepped in and did what they had to do, including a win at number one Nebraska.

Jason White...twice! Nate led us to the Big 12 title, won the MVP and then led to the team to a Rose Bowl win.

AD...Allen Patrick and gang actually increaased OU's rushing totals last year after AD's injury leading us to the Big 12 title.

So while I feel bad for Dixon, I don't feel bad for Oregon...and you have to be ready to face adversity due to injuries.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2007, 11:50 AM
Hopefully this wont affect his baseball career too much

The Maestro
11/16/2007, 11:52 AM
I also enjoyed hearing that the third team QB at Oregon is named...

Justin Roper.

Hey, nice "midnight to 6:00 a.m. overnight disc jockey at a country station in Waxahachie, Texas" name.

badger
11/16/2007, 11:54 AM
It's Ryan Leaf's fault. (http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/)

In unrelated news at the same link, Virginia is NOT GAY :D:D:D

cheezyq
11/16/2007, 11:56 AM
I feel bad for Dixon. Having your dream season smashed by injury sucks. That said, I have no love lost for Oregon. My only regret is that they didn't lose by 50.

trey
11/16/2007, 12:04 PM
I felt bad for him until they pulled his dad out of the stands and erin andrews said that the trainer had tears in his eyes. Watching the whole team quit was comical.

badger
11/16/2007, 12:16 PM
I feel bad for Dixon. Having your dream season smashed by injury sucks. That said, I have no love lost for Oregon. My only regret is that they didn't lose by 50.
I feel bad for him too. It reminded me of a Jason White injury... either Jason White injury.

Sure, we don't like the Ducks. We think they're a bunch of tree hugging hippies that protest sweat shops yet take millions from Nike (hippo-crats! Yes, I said hippo-crats, it's like being a hypocritical democrat). We think their refs are taking direct orders from Pac 10's office during the game as opposed to a real, credible replay booth. We also think some of their fans are worse than LSU's on occasion, because they like to throw stuff at visitors and such at that stadium that sound WAY too much like "Austin" (stupid whorns) to be considered legit.

However, we sympathize with a potential Heisman candidate (FORMER candidate, now), because we've got our own Heisman quarterback that had the same thing happen to him twice. You see it happen and it looks painful just watching. You see the player walk off, but know he'll never walk normally again. When he gets his dad called to the sideline, you know that it's an ACL tear and that his college career and football career are both over... and that he'll never walk pain free again.

:(

jwlynn64
11/16/2007, 12:34 PM
I don't have a lot of sympathy because the trainers commented that they felt that Dennis lied to them about the extend of his injury during the week. If he would have been honest, they could have given him the proper treatment or at the least Leaf would have had a full week preparation for the game and not been thrown to the wolves.

I see it as a story where one person's desire to shine in the spotlight cost his team a chance for glory in the MNC.

Civicus_Sooner
11/16/2007, 12:44 PM
Kahrma beesches

TMcGee86
11/16/2007, 12:50 PM
What really ****ed me off was the fact that they sit there and show him crying, say the trainer is crying, say the coach is hugging him, call his dad out of the stands, and spent the rest of the game as a tribute to his sad end...

Then it all of the sudden it was simply a "twisted knee" (whatever the hell that means) and Dixon himself said he would be fine and that it wasn't hurting anymore.

Talk about all-time transparencies. It was obvious that the Duck PR machine took over and informed everyone that their ranking would plummet if the pollsters thought Dixon was out for the year, and it would likewise hurt Dixon's pro stock if he let on that it was a serious knee injury so they needed to pretend everything was okay!

I also loved how Dixon was all too eager to speak to Erin Andrews about how he would be fine and he would move on, despite the fact that the games was far from over and he should have been screaming that the game wasn't over yet and they were about to make a comeback.

And while I'm at it, his hat, his hat seriously bugged me. Could you pick a stupider looking outfit. Brutal.

badger
11/16/2007, 12:51 PM
I don't have a lot of sympathy because the trainers commented that they felt that Dennis lied to them about the extend of his injury during the week. If he would have been honest, they could have given him the proper treatment or at the least Leaf would have had a full week preparation for the game and not been thrown to the wolves.

I see it as a story where one person's desire to shine in the spotlight cost his team a chance for glory in the MNC.
Well, people sometimes act irrationally when they are most concerned with helping their team and such.

We all know, here in Sooner Nation, that Baby (Brady?) Leaf sucks. He played the entire Holiday Bowl against us (screw you Duckies who say that game didn't count!) and had about month to prepare there! I think Leafy knew he would play some because otherwise, his brother wouldn't have been there to support him (Wazzu must hate him more now than ever with that Duck hat... of course, they allegedly have always hated him).

The best chance for Oregon to win would be to have Dixon play. Dixon at 75 percent... 50 percent... 13 percent... whatever, is still better than Baby Leaf at 100 percent. Dixon knew this and obviously, his teammates knew this too, because they stopped playing when Dennis stopped.

So, Dixon grimmaces and says he is fine and can play. He goes out and he snaps his knee, much like Jason White once did, despite us also having a backup ready to play (remember Nate Hybl? Yeah, he used to start ahead of the Heisman guy).

Anyway, if you really think Dixon made a selfish decision, you can take comfort in knowing that ACL tears are painful the rest of your life. Torn cartilage does not grow back. It's bone-on-bone whenever, wherever he'll walk or use his leg. Even surgery doesn't cause you to recover fully. Why else would a player so determined to play like Jason White retire from the NFL?

So either way, Dixon is out, Oregon is screwed and OU moves up when we beat Teck... barring another ref blowjob :mad:

The Maestro
11/16/2007, 01:02 PM
I bet Belloti's wife tied one on in Tucson last night!

jwlynn64
11/16/2007, 01:19 PM
Is it confirmed that he tore his ACL?

My point wasn't so much about his selfish decision as about lying to his team. IMHO, if he had just been honest with them, then they could have made the best decision for the team.

TUSooner
11/16/2007, 01:27 PM
Anyway, if you really think Dixon made a selfish decision, you can take comfort in knowing that ACL tears are painful the rest of your life. Torn cartilage does not grow back. It's bone-on-bone whenever, wherever he'll walk or use his leg. Even surgery doesn't cause you to recover fully. Why else would a player so determined to play like Jason White retire from the NFL?

So either way, Dixon is out, Oregon is screwed and OU moves up when we beat Teck... barring another ref blowjob :mad:
Just for the redord, ACL tears are not necessarily career ending or life-altering. My daughtor tore both of hers. She's pain-free and extremely agile.
Of course, she did NOT mess up the meniscus, that is, the cartilege that cushions the knee. OTOH, my 40-something BiL never tore his ACL, but he wore out his menisci and sounds like a rusty door hinge when he walks. :(

Ash
11/16/2007, 01:38 PM
I bet Belloti's wife tied one on in Tucson last night!

:D :D :D

OUinFLA
11/16/2007, 04:12 PM
Just for the redord, ACL tears are not necessarily career ending or life-altering. My daughtor tore both of hers. She's pain-free and extremely agile.
Of course, she did NOT mess up the meniscus, that is, the cartilege that cushions the knee. OTOH, my 40-something BiL never tore his ACL, but he wore out his menisci and sounds like a rusty door hinge when he walks. :(

My wife wants me to replace the guest bedroom door, could you come help us?

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
11/16/2007, 04:27 PM
However, we sympathize with a potential Heisman candidate (FORMER candidate, now), because we've got our own Heisman quarterback that had the same thing happen to him twice. You see it happen and it looks painful just watching. You see the player walk off, but know he'll never walk normally again. When he gets his dad called to the sideline, you know that it's an ACL tear and that his college career and football career are both over... and that he'll never walk pain free again.

:(

Maybe White and Dixon should both have just nutted up!!!! BJ Symons played close to half of his senior year with a torn ACL!!!! He tore it in OCT and finished the season. Hell IMO Symons deserved the Heisman that year he had over 50 TD's and almost reached the 6000 yard plateau in passing yards.