PDA

View Full Version : Moxie. Does this year's Sooners squad have it?

soonerboy_odanorth
11/16/2007, 11:11 AM
I don't sense it. Still too young and/or not the right chemistry to go into other people's back yards and abuse them.

And Sam is the cornerstone of that. He has a good game this weekend, we win. If his performance is that of the two true previous road games, we lose.

I think it's that simple. Thoughts?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2007, 11:14 AM
Moxie, a carbonated beverage, is considered by some to be the USA's first mass produced soft drink, although both Vernors ginger ale and Hires Root Beer predate it by a decade.

If they have it, its probably no good by now

meoveryouxinfinity
11/16/2007, 11:16 AM
agree, kinda. Sam, and, most importantly, the receivers have to have a good day. That and some help from the run game.

That said, I don't think this will be as high of a shootout as people think.

KRYPTON
11/16/2007, 11:16 AM
I'd prefer Sturm und Drang over Moxie during the remainder of this Hootenanny of a season.

mightysooner
11/16/2007, 11:18 AM
The last sooner team we had that had any moxie was the rose bowl team. Since then.....all of our teams have been the same every season that I've observed. No fire. No attitude.

I think our offense has moxie. But out defense seems to sleepwalk through every season these days and they don't seem to play together.

starrca23
11/16/2007, 11:18 AM
I want whatever brand the Duke Boys were running though Hazzard County

OKLA21FAN
11/16/2007, 11:21 AM
Moxie? He was last seen playing for the Coyotes!
http://www.ivygateblog.com/images/varsityblues.jpg

The Maestro
11/16/2007, 11:23 AM
Moxie, attitude, "it" factor...call it what you want. A big win in impressive style with a "take it right to you" attitude this weekend and all is well.

A loss to either Tech or OSU and this is easily the most disappointing season under Stoops considering talent, schedule, expectations and the way things opened up for us in a matter of six weeks...Cal, USC, South Florida, Boston College, Florida, LSU, ASU, Oregon, Ohio State all needed to lose...and did!

It is up to us to take advantage of this now and not look back.

Mac94
11/16/2007, 11:25 AM
This is a year where every team has flaws ... there is not a clear cut, above the rest, team. This Oklahoma squad has a shot because of that fact.

The bottom line is, in mid Novemeber the Oklahoma Sooners hold their fate in their own hands for the Big-12 and National Title.

We'll see what they do with it.

MextheBulldog
11/16/2007, 11:37 AM
Moxie? He was last seen playing for the Coyotes!
http://www.ivygateblog.com/images/varsityblues.jpg

Not that i'm a fan, but whatever happened to Dawson?

MextheBulldog
11/16/2007, 11:39 AM
I don't sense it. Still too young and/or not the right chemistry to go into other people's back yards and abuse them.

And Sam is the cornerstone of that. He has a good game this weekend, we win. If his performance is that of the two true previous road games, we lose.

I think it's that simple. Thoughts?

Sam's not going to be asked to win this game, much less any game. Defense and run game are going to need to be huge.

We don't need to abuse, just win baby.

1890MilesToNorman
11/16/2007, 11:46 AM
I don't care what kind of game we play, ugly or awesome, as long as we come out of it with a WIN. This goes for the rest of the year as well.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/16/2007, 11:52 AM
Sam's not going to be asked to win this game, much less any game. Defense and run game are going to need to be huge.

We don't need to abuse, just win baby.

Dizergreements.

I haz it.

If the defense and run game have to be huge, then we have to abuse them.

Steal their manhood. Ram it down. Step on their throats.

If we are not going to do that, then yes, Sam will have to win the game. We cannot continue to "play not to lose" on the road. To wit: Colorado, Iowa State.

SoonerMom2
11/16/2007, 11:59 AM
Did some of you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Do some of you not remember last summer when everyone was wringing their hands we didn't have a quarterback?

We found a quarterback in Sam Bradford who has lost one game by all of 3 points.

How about some enthusiasm about how far this team has come and now holds its own destiny in its hands. We don't need someone to lose ahead of us now thanks to Mike Stoops' team taking care of Oregon.

Reading doom and gloom from the sky is falling crowd reminds me of the glass is half empty types no matter the topic. Not necessary and makes me wonder how many on here posting some of this doom and gloom are really die hard Sooner fans that were sitting in the stands in 1997-98 watching us get beat Saturday in and Saturday out. That experience makes you think twice about the fact we are even competing ten years later for another National Championship and savoring the moment. I remember sitting in the stands with snow and ice against A&M and OU getting clobbered. Obviously some of you doom and gloomers never had that horrible experience or you might appreciate what Bob Stoops and his players accomplish year in and year out.

Once again Stoops and company have put together a team this time with a new Freshman redshirt quarterback who is competing at the highest level. From the hand wringing over who was going to win the job to finding a top notch quarterback, it doesn't get any better than that because Bradford has given OU a chance to compete for the National Championship that a lot of others teams like the school up north would give anything to be in our position.

They will WIN in Lubbock because this is revenge for that game the Raiders stole in 2005! Mike Leach and his hypocricy on officiating can take it and shove it.

Go Sooners!

The Maestro
11/16/2007, 12:04 PM
Dizergreements.

I haz it.

If the defense and run game have to be huge, then we have to abuse them.

Steal their manhood. Ram it down. Step on their throats.

If we are not going to do that, then yes, Sam will have to win the game. We cannot continue to "play not to lose" on the road. To wit: Colorado, Iowa State.

Agreed. If you go in it with the attitude of, "Hey, let's just win however..." then you don't have the right frame of mind. Football is a brutal game...attack, attack, attack...step on throats and destroy the opponent...then shake their hand for a game well played. It's not personal...it's football...and you have to want to crush your opponent...from the defense, to the offense and yes, including the quarterback.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/16/2007, 12:05 PM
They will WIN in Lubbock because this is revenge for that game the Raiders stole in 2005! Mike Leach and his hypocricy on officiating can take it and shove it.

Go Sooners!

Mama, I likes your stylins'.

Ahm a gonna THROAT PUNCH the fird YOSEMITE SAM farker I run into! :texan:

oupride
11/16/2007, 12:08 PM
It is up to us to take advantage of this now and not look back.

Winning the next 3 games should give the defense plenty of confidence. Think about it. Look at the receivers our D-backs will have to face vs TTech, OSU and Kansas. With all the criticizm the D-backs took after Baylor I know they will be ready.

oupride
11/16/2007, 12:12 PM
The last sooner team we had that had any moxie was the rose bowl team. Since then.....all of our teams have been the same every season that I've observed. No fire. No attitude.

I think our offense has moxie. But out defense seems to sleepwalk through every season these days and they don't seem to play together.
These are different players that were at the rose and orange bowl. This Sooner team is hungry. Mark my words. The pollsters have treated them poorly since the loss to CO and they will bring their A game. Whether that is enuf to win it all remains to be seen.

r5TPsooner
11/16/2007, 12:15 PM
Undecided. Ask me after the Tech game.

Curly Bill
11/16/2007, 12:21 PM
I don't know if we have moxie, but we have plenty of:

SW
AGGER

:D :D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2007, 12:32 PM
I don't know if we have moxie, but we have plenty of:

SW
AGGER

:D :D

Swagger is the third album from scottish rock band Gun. It features a cover of "Word Up!", originally recorded by Cameo.

Now who on the team would have Swagger? Do we have some players into Scottish Rock?

SoonerRecon
11/16/2007, 01:02 PM
these players remember 2005, the tech fans talking about their mama, and the screw job from the lubbock insurance salesman. first play of the game we start crackin heads. if we don't then Stoops can call a trick play to get our guys fired up. when you're on the road you've got to put teams away, something this team hasn't done yet, but i think we get it done against sand aggy.

The Maestro
11/16/2007, 01:09 PM
The pollsters have treated them poorly since the loss to CO

Yeah, as well they should. Colorado sucks. We were fortunate so many other top 10 teams lost that day or we would have plummeted.

Man, I sure do appreciate Stanford more and more today.

Curly Bill
11/16/2007, 03:01 PM
Swagger is the third album from scottish rock band Gun. It features a cover of "Word Up!", originally recorded by Cameo.

Sounds promising, may have to check this stuff OUt. :P

picasso
11/16/2007, 03:12 PM

yeah, last year's team just threw in a former QB, somehow overcame the Oregon screw job, AD's injuries and won a conference title!!!!!

Yep, no heart or moxie there.

EstablishedSooner1967
11/16/2007, 04:20 PM
Do I need to sent the team a case of this? Only thing it is Orange....
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e217/SGH1967/IMG_0036.jpg

Dan Thompson
11/16/2007, 04:32 PM
Pass defense worries me and maybe the wind.

85sooners
11/16/2007, 04:39 PM
screw tech!!

cccasooner2
11/16/2007, 05:22 PM
If they don't have moxie, perhaps a simple game-face will suffice. :pop:

soonerboy_odanorth
11/18/2007, 04:28 PM
And there we have it.

Unlike last year's team, this team has no moxie, no grit, or however you want to define it.

Last night this team was charmin soft, bordering on gutless. And at least for this game, it was from the head man on down to the lowliest walk on.

I do want to throw out a special thanks to the following entities for putting on the field one of the worst overall performances a team has had during the Stoops era:

Bob for officially getting rid of the riverboat gambler mantra. Don't have to worry about anybody accusing him of that anymore. (Fourth and goal at the two down by 3 TD's and we kick a field goal?)

Kevin Wilson for proving that the decision in the Sugar Bowl to throw it into the end zone 4 consecutive plays when we had been smashing the ball down LSU's throat wasn't all Chuck Long's fault. Thanks for putting Halzle in a no-win situation there, Kevin.

Bob and Kevin for abandoning the run game when there was more than enough time to stick with it.

Our biggest o-line in history at times playing like our smallest, at least in pass protection. How do 320 lb guys get shoved around the field all night like they did? I am not sure we would have won if Bradford had stayed in there healthy. It's not like he would have been given any more time to throw. Really bad perfomance.

Our defensive secondary. Just... wow. I understand they were on the field all night thanks to the offense, but they were the proverbial chickens with their heads cut off for mcuh of the night.

Brent and Bobby Jack for turning what was supposed to be a d-secondary chock full of playmakers into a pretty average bunch. I know several of them got their tackles, but does it seem to any of you like they've really gotten guys like Nic Harris and Lendy Holmes into positions where they can be truly impactful? Nic had 5 tackles on the night, but it seems to me he wasn't noticably or even hyperactively patrolling the middle of the field against those 10-15 yard routes, or blitzing like a madman against Tech. Both of which I thought we've done more of in the past to put the brakes on the TT offense.

It was a really bad TEAM loss from the top down.

They better just burn this game film, not dwell on it at all, and just move right to preparing for the LoSuRs. Because it seems to me the play was so poor that there really aren't a lot of great "teaching opportunities".

It is going to take a supreme effort for them to pull out a victory next Saturday. I hope they realize that and will play with some anger. Otherwise we can just say "thank you" to Texas for giving us last year's Big 12 Championship and "glad to return the favor this year."

But moving on....

I look forward to this coming summer for Jerry to beat the ever-lovin' crap out of these guys, and hopefully Bob and the staff really getting hard on themselves and try to get a determination on who's got the GUTS to compete for a championship.

85Sooner
11/18/2007, 06:33 PM
no

tulsaoilerfan
11/18/2007, 08:44 PM
Where are the leaders on this team?

okiewaker
11/18/2007, 08:50 PM
Moxie see 2000, 2003 sooners.