PDA

View Full Version : Ladies, when filling up your car in the cold..

Jerk
11/16/2007, 06:57 AM
Don't get in the car while it's filling up!

(safe for work, no gore, no blood, no death)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnSWW7c24fA&NR=1

Why I singled out 'ladies' - almost all of these incidences happen to them:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/static.asp

soonerboomer93
11/16/2007, 07:05 AM
you can use cell phones (mythbusters did a test and couldn't ignire fumes with a ringing cell, there are also no confirmed fires started by them), just don't get in and out of the vehicle while fueling

sanantoniosooner
11/16/2007, 07:57 AM
I get in mine when it's cold or real windy.

As long as you touch some metal AWAY from where you are filling and discharge any static you are fine.

OUDoc
11/16/2007, 09:16 AM
Good advice, SAS. I try to discharge whenever possible.

SoonerGirl06
11/16/2007, 09:28 AM
So if you touch something metal after you leave the inside of the car and before you touch the nozzle you'll be okay?

I have a hard time standing out in the cold while the gas is pumping, especially when it's sooo freakin cold.

Partial Qualifier
11/16/2007, 10:08 AM
I try to discharge whenever possible.

don't go on..

sanantoniosooner
11/16/2007, 10:18 AM
So if you touch something metal after you leave the inside of the car and before you touch the nozzle you'll be okay?

I have a hard time standing out in the cold while the gas is pumping, especially when it's sooo freakin cold.
yeah. It's that little spark like you get from carpet and used to zap somebody on the nose or ear. If you make sure you do it prior to approaching the fill handle you'll be just fine.

I had one car that used to shock the crap out of me almost every time I would get out of the vehicle. I think it was my old Nissan p/u.

sooneron
11/16/2007, 10:41 AM
Yay Jersey!! Full Serve only!!

sanantoniosooner
11/16/2007, 10:43 AM
Yay Jersey!! Full Serve only!!
We wouldn't want you to get petrol on your Cole Haans anyway ;)

SoonerGirl06
11/16/2007, 10:46 AM
yeah. It's that little spark like you get from carpet and used to zap somebody on the nose or ear. If you make sure you do it prior to approaching the fill handle you'll be just fine.

I had one car that used to shock the crap out of me almost every time I would get out of the vehicle. I think it was my old Nissan p/u.

Kool. That's good to know.

Maybe I'll keep a fabric sheet in my pocket to help witht he static electricity.

Pricetag
11/16/2007, 11:26 AM
I'd have had a heck of a time not giving the trigger a squeeze just to see the flamethrower effect after getting the thing pulled away from my car.

Veritas
11/16/2007, 11:29 AM
This wasn't what I was expecting. I was thinking more along the lines of something related to the physiological response to cold.

<- perv

sanantoniosooner
11/16/2007, 11:30 AM
This wasn't what I was expecting. I was thinking more along the lines of something related to the physiological response to cold.

<- perv
There is a discharge related to that one also.

Turd_Ferguson
11/16/2007, 11:30 AM
I gotta Dodge that will draw about a 440 volt off of ya every time you get out of it, but it's diesel so I don't worry too much.

ChickSoonerFan
11/16/2007, 11:38 AM
I think I heard this before and so I always touch something before I touch the pump handle.

And I TRY to not talk on my cell when I am pumping gas.

And I ALWAYS get back in my car when it is cold outside.

Turd_Ferguson
11/16/2007, 11:39 AM
I think I heard this before and so I always touch something before I touch the pump handle.

And I TRY to not talk on my cell when I am pumping gas.

And I ALWAYS get back in my car when it is cold outside.
Good jorb.

OUDoc
11/16/2007, 12:05 PM
I always touch something before I touch the pump handle.

Go on...

sanantoniosooner
11/16/2007, 12:06 PM
Go on...
she's just taking care of the discharge

ChickSoonerFan
11/16/2007, 12:11 PM
she's just taking care of the discharge

exactly. Isn't that what we ladies are supposed to do?

GottaHavePride
11/16/2007, 09:29 PM

???

I haven't even worn my heavy coat in the past two years.

badger
11/16/2007, 09:34 PM
I got a locking gas cap when it looked like it had been tampered with one night.

That thing is a pain in the arse to lock and unlock during fueling sessions... not as painful in the arse as gas prices, but, yknow :D

I guess I'm just fortunate that the prices didn't skyrocket until I had some solid income.