PDA

View Full Version : Sooners defense motivated says Smith

oupride
11/15/2007, 03:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3109705
The boys are paying attention. Good material, great quotes. Discussion?

Ash
11/15/2007, 04:04 PM
Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

I hope the talk translates into focus and they play up to their potential.

The Sooners have dominated the seven-game series with Tech since Leach took over in 2000, posting a 6-1 record in those games. OU has held Tech below its points and total-yardage averages in every game. The Red Raiders' passing total has topped their season average only once against the Sooners.

And during those seven games, the Red Raiders have averaged 17.3 points fewer than their season scoring average, 112.1 yards fewer than their average passing total and 147.3 yards fewer than their average total offense.

flopshotjoe99
11/15/2007, 04:06 PM
can't wait to see the boys pull off at least a hat trick worth of picks.:cool:

The Maestro
11/15/2007, 04:37 PM
Glad to hear the coaches have been pounding them. Like Billy Tubbs said, "Get better!"

sooner94
11/15/2007, 05:07 PM
I like it. Our coaches are PO'd and our players want to make up for a bad game.

I sense a buttkickin' in Lubbock.

TheUnnamedSooner
11/15/2007, 07:11 PM
Awesome! If you look down at the bottom of the page, you can find out where to get an OU ringtone!!! Wow, after all these years...

85sooners
11/15/2007, 08:38 PM
lol

birddog
11/15/2007, 08:53 PM
all of a sudden the experts go from saying "open-field tackling" to "tackling in open space".

Sooner Stew
11/16/2007, 09:51 AM
yeah its obvious that Reggie and company know that they can play at a high level when they are all together and stayin on their assignments...I have a feeling that Harrell may get picked a couple of times tomorrow night...and maybe Granger and McCoy can get some good hits on him too...they've got make him uncomfortable and thats not very easy to do but as long as they know where their all supposed to be I think everything will work out fine b/c the Sooner D is experienced and I think it'll show :D

SoonerGM
11/16/2007, 10:34 AM
this tells me that giving up tons of yardage but few points is NOT the strategy of our defense. thats just some crappy excuse that several people made for very poor performance last week.

mightysooner
11/16/2007, 10:58 AM
Bob better have the defense squared away saturday is all I'm gonna say. That level of play in the Baylor game isn't gonna cut it here.

SoonerBBall
11/16/2007, 11:04 AM
this tells me that giving up tons of yardage but few points is NOT the strategy of our defense. thats just some crappy excuse that several people made for very poor performance last week.

Are you people seriously this braindead? No defense has a game plan to give up a ton of yards. Our strategy, though, is that we'd rather give up yards than points. That means in the passing game we defend first against deep passes and allow shorter passes. This plays into the hands of spread teams. Do we really need ANOTHER thread explaining this concept? No. Stop being stupid.

Redgiant2
11/16/2007, 08:06 PM
Yes the spread is some super secret new offense that nobody knows how to stop this year. Everyone fear the spread. The defense is giving up yards because they stink. That's it, end of story. And if anyone takes hope from this article you have to be brain dead. These coaches have been fixing this and that or ****ed off about that or this for 4 years now. If anyone thinks all of a sudden they're magically going to start living up to their supposed potential I've got some ocean front property in Arizona for sale. Someone please give Venables a head coaching job! Come on Arkansas!

OUinFLA
11/16/2007, 08:14 PM
...I've got some ocean front property in Arizona for sale. !

global warming is occuring faster than I thought :eek:

but, Im gonna support it, as I live 35 miles inland, and ocean frontage would greatly increase my property value.

oh, and regards you post?
yep, your right, our defense sux. thank goodness most everyone we play has a defense that sux worse.

well, I mean over the last 4... or 7 years or so anyway.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2007, 08:19 PM
Yes the spread is some super secret new offense that nobody knows how to stop this year. Everyone fear the spread. The defense is giving up yards because they stink. That's it, end of story. And if anyone takes hope from this article you have to be brain dead. These coaches have been fixing this and that or ****ed off about that or this for 4 years now. If anyone thinks all of a sudden they're magically going to start living up to their supposed potential I've got some ocean front property in Arizona for sale. Someone please give Venables a head coaching job! Come on Arkansas!

Swagger turns his back on you!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d82/fymmusic/swagger2.jpg

peanous
11/16/2007, 08:25 PM
Um, we gave one really really really really long pass play last week my friend.

StoopTroup
11/16/2007, 08:32 PM
Those are some big balls hanging above peanous.

Whet
11/16/2007, 09:26 PM
Those are some big balls hanging above peanous.

Beans before the franks!

SoonerBBall
11/17/2007, 02:19 AM
Um, we gave one really really really really long pass play last week my friend.

Don't mind Redgiant. He merely exists to troll every post I make and talk about how bad Brent V, and by extension our defense, sucks. He will completely ignore any other argument.

Crucifax Autumn
11/17/2007, 03:20 AM
Are you people seriously this braindead? No defense has a game plan to give up a ton of yards. Our strategy, though, is that we'd rather give up yards than points. That means in the passing game we defend first against deep passes and allow shorter passes. This plays into the hands of spread teams. Do we really need ANOTHER thread explaining this concept? No. Stop being stupid.

It's actually an old cliche in football...Bend Don't Break. Give 'em what they can get then tighten up in the red zone.

I'm personally for slamming them from the first play of a possession and hopefully backing them up and forcing a turnover in their own territory, but it's not a new concept to accept the yardage and stop the scores.