PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain to me how ABC determines a coverage map.

aurorasooner
11/14/2007, 05:08 PM
Usually is geography or conference area (or pretty close). Then last week only Texas, Okla, and the KC area got the UT/Tech game and rest of the Big 12 north area got Ohio State/Illinois. This week there are 4 afternoon games that conform to the geography/conference theme, but then you look at some of the New England states and they get ISU/Kansas. WTH? Does ABC give the choice to the local ABC affiliates carrying the game? It just makes no sense to me that Maine a few New England States would carry the ISU/KU game and not the Penn State game unless this is either a big revenue gameplan producer for ABC when they close Penn State out of these states, the people up there don't watch any college football in the 1st place so the advertisers don't pay squat for ad time of any CFB in that area so they put the most meaningless game to that area on OTA, there are a helluva lot of KU and ISU fans in the New England States, or ABC wants all the people to tune in to ESPN2 with has the BC game on at night, which is probably the real reason----ie if they had Penn State on ABC it would siphon a lot of the BC viewers off from espn2....Yet they're showing the Penn State game in Mass.....It just makes no sense.
I know exactly why the Tech/OU game is a nationwide broadcast. ABC expects Tech to upset us and they want everyone to see it. I really do hope our guys come out and play with intensity on both sides of the ball so the whole nation shakes their heads and says "those guys are really, really good after Saturday night. This game is huge as far as the nation's CFB fans and especially the poll voters. We play a solid game, and look sharp on both sides of the ball, especially on pass D, and imo we could really leap in the human polls. Conversly, if well look like cheet, and Tech has WRs catching balls and running free and having a track meet against us and we barely win or get beat by 2 or 3 TDs, and we'll drop like a rock in the human polls. Big, Big game, just huge. http://assets.espn.go.com/media/abcsports/natcovmap/071117_330pm.jpg

cvsooner
11/14/2007, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure it's quite so insidious as ABC wants to see us lose. The underdog story works to some extent, but...

There are only six or so games in or around that timeslot and most of them are being broadcast elsewhere. I think it's going nationwide mostly because it's likely the best game at the time. Just my opinion, but an informed one based on working in TV and media.

Some of the decisions made have to do with rights concerning conferences and individual schools as well as ticket sales. Sometimes games aren't carried because they're not sold out, you know?

Desert Sapper
11/14/2007, 05:37 PM
The OU-Tech game is national because Lubbock is one of the few places that Bob Stoops has had any trouble. It isn't about desire to see anyone win or lose. It's about interest in the game, which equals ratings, which equals $$$$. The NATION has an interest in OUr game, because we could lose. ABC could give a **** who wins or loses. In fact, they probably want us to win, because it means more $$$$ the next time they air us, which is likely the osu game. If we win the rest of our regular season games, and KU wins theirs, it justifies the December 1 prime time slot that ABC has already claimed.

StoopTroup
11/14/2007, 05:46 PM
Whatever you expect them to do....

They might not...

Boycott Disneyland!

stoopified
11/14/2007, 06:02 PM
Dartboard and a blindfolded monkey?

soonerboomer93
11/14/2007, 06:14 PM
whether its inner or intra conference is a factor

then they need to cover the "viewing area" for said conference starting with protected markets.

stations along a border area between a couple conference may be able to choose which game they want to broadcast also