PDA

View Full Version : Another Question for ya

StuMondo
11/14/2007, 11:13 AM
JMorales got me thinkin'

He suggested a particular type of offense that NU should start running. It got me thinking what you you Sooners think NU should do with it's program.

NU/OU have always had a pretty tough and respectful rivalry and everyone in Husker nation is talking about it but they all have some sort of a bias or clouded perspective because of their fandom. I would like to get the opinions of some people who likely have some knowledge of what our program is about and are unbiased, and what you think we should do? Should we go back to the incestuous hiring policies and go with a Turner Gill, should we just go after the best available coach regardless?

Thanks,
Stew

cheezyq
11/14/2007, 11:59 AM
JMorales got me thinkin'

He suggested a particular type of offense that NU should start running. It got me thinking what you you Sooners think NU should do with it's program.

NU/OU have always had a pretty tough and respectful rivalry and everyone in Husker nation is talking about it but they all have some sort of a bias or clouded perspective because of their fandom. I would like to get the opinions of some people who likely have some knowledge of what our program is about and are unbiased, and what you think we should do? Should we go back to the incestuous hiring policies and go with a Turner Gill, should we just go after the best available coach regardless?

Thanks,
Stew

Well, OU hired John Blake, who was tied to the program, and we all know his record of success.
Then OU hired Bob Stoops, who was not tied to the program, and we all know his record of success.

So, if you're interested in mimicking OU's success, I suggest that you hire Turner Gill. You see, Frank Solich = Gary Gibbs, and Drunkenberger = Drunkahan (seriously, I'm convinced the good ol' hillBilly is either drunk or high most of the time). Next in line is a well-respected former player, which = Turner Gill. Then, if/when he fails, you can hire outside of the family and get yourself Steve Spurrier's defensive coordinator.

:D

Seriously, though, hire Turner Gill. He'll probably get it anyway, since Osborne is calling the shots.

cvsooner
11/14/2007, 12:13 PM
Based on the Dan Jenkins story, I'm thinking the TCU coach is headed up yonder, myself.

swardboy
11/14/2007, 12:21 PM
Unlike Blake, Gill has paid his dues in a head coaching job, and has done a respectable job at a tough place.

I think Stoops was an anomaly, stepping from coordinator to ultra-large program like OU. Head coaching experience at some lower level provides a philosophy and record that can be evaluated. We hit a home run in Stoops that was bit of a risk, IMHO.....I would love to accompany Joe C. to Vegas baby!!!!

Curly Bill
11/14/2007, 12:21 PM
Hire an up-and-comer from OUtside the program. Someone that can of course recruit, someone that won't offend everyone across the midwest in someway, someone that will pay homage to nebish tradition without being a slave to it. Somone like OU got in Bob Stoops!

...but then I got no love for nebish so hire Franchione, or better yet keep Callenberger.

cvsooner
11/14/2007, 12:32 PM
Hire an up-and-comer from OUtside the program. Someone that can of course recruit, someone that won't offend everyone across the midwest in someway, someone that will pay homage to nebish tradition without being a slave to it. Somone like OU got in Bob Stoops!

Someone like...Bo Pelini, perhaps? He's actually got some connections to the program but would be enough of an outsider to make it work. And right now, it's not the offense at Nebraska that needs work.

mdklatt
11/14/2007, 12:47 PM
Seriously, though, hire Turner Gill. He'll probably get it anyway, since Osborne is calling the shots.

John Blake's problem wasn't that he was tied to the program. I think that's a big bonus, especially at a program with a lot of tradition. John Blake's problem was that he sucked balls as a head coach. Buffalo may not be much of an indicator, but Turner Gill seems like he could be head coach material. As long as he and Osborne don't try to bring back the wishbone or something (then again...why not?) I think he's the best choice.

mdklatt
11/14/2007, 12:50 PM
Someone like...Bo Pelini, perhaps? He's actually got some connections to the program but would be enough of an outsider to make it work. And right now, it's not the offense at Nebraska that needs work.

The Bugeaters seem high on Pelini, too...but why in the hell would he come back to a school that told him to eff off? Even with Pederson gone he's better off somewhere else...like LSU if Meatchicken gets smoked by OSU yet again, Carr "retires", and Lester leaves the swamp.

Desert Sapper
11/14/2007, 01:13 PM
Gill would probably be fine, but as someone pointed out, the blackshirts need to stop being the pinkshirts and nut up. IMO, the best D Coordinators in their respective conferences are Tyrone Nix at South Carolina (somebody mentioned Spurrier DCs?), Craig Bray at ASU, Jim Heacock at tOSU, Bill Young at KU, Mike London at UVA, and Hank Hughes at UConn. I don't think NU is even going to go after any of them.

StuMondo
11/14/2007, 01:57 PM
It is my belief that Osborne, a big believer in stability, will hire the face of husker football for the next 10, 15, 20 years. To me, that is turner gill. I don't know if that's my first choice, but it does seem logical. I suppose it could be Pelini, but I could see him leaving after having some success, don't get me wrong, I could see him staying as well, but the odds would be significantly less than Turner staying.

Thanks for your input y'all!

Blues1
11/14/2007, 02:47 PM
Give Ron Zook another Million --- It's only 450 miles down the road....I'd move that far for a 1 million raise.... :)

BermudaSooner
11/14/2007, 02:48 PM
1. Get Dr. Tom and Joe C. together to schedule an every year game between NU and OU. This 2 year off thing just isn't right.
2. Get a coach that will bring in the walk-ons Dr. Tom used to have. I understand the walk-on program isn't what it used to be, correct? Maybe Turner Gill is the man for that.
3. Hire a DC. The KU guy would be great.

Jmorales22
11/14/2007, 03:21 PM
I don't know if Turner Gill would qualify as a "home run" in the minds of the fans up there, would he?

I think considering how terrible the "blackshirts" have been, prevailing minds in Lincoln will go for a defensive guy. Giving up 70 points is the thing that hurts NU fans' pride the most, I'm sure. My vote would be Gary Patterson at TCU. I've watched his teams play defense and they are physical, hit hard, and don't quit. They might not be the most physically gifted, but if he could get Nebraska's players to play like that I think they'd be alright.

mdklatt
11/14/2007, 03:35 PM
I don't know if Turner Gill would qualify as a "home run" in the minds of the fans up there, would he?

Nebraska fans are probably of the same mindset as OU fans after the Smellsofbourbon "experiment". They are in their counterrevolutionary phase right now, and will welcome anybody that has even the perception of out with the new and in with old. I bet they'd pee themselves with joy if Turner Gill came back and made Eric Crouch the OC. :D

StuMondo
11/15/2007, 01:01 AM
Actually, I don't know if there really is a "home run" hire out there. I would have to suspect that Urban Meyer is out of the question, so I don't think there's really anyone else out there.

I have to think that TO is pretty smart guy and whatever he chooses I'll back it and hope it goes well. At this point I just hope the next coach makes it so that when I wear my Nebraska hoodie down Nicollette Ave, I can wear it with pride again.

Crucifax Autumn
11/15/2007, 02:14 AM
I say keep The coach you have...Seems to be working out well for the overall strength of the Big 12!

Mark_of_Tulsa
11/15/2007, 02:19 AM
I say bring in the Navy coach and bring back the option.