PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Major College Football KU students

kevpks
11/14/2007, 09:40 AM
A lot of the students in this article come off as crybabies. Just go enjoy the biggest game in your school's football history. I had a "bad" seat several times for OU/Texas, but Q scoring 6 touchdowns or Roy going superman looks good from any angle.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/11/13/missouri.kansas.ap/index.html

KU fans fuming over ticket system
Posted: Tuesday November 13, 2007 10:31PM; Updated: Tuesday November 13, 2007 10:31PM

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- High demand for prime tickets to the Kansas-Missouri football game and the absence of a policy limiting how many tickets a student can pick up at one time have some Jayhawks fans fuming over their school's distribution system.

Student tickets for the Nov. 24 game at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo., between the 10-0 Jayhawks and 9-1 Tigers were made available Monday to Kansas students. An hour before the Kansas ticket office opened at 9 a.m., the line wrapped around Allen Fieldhouse and out to the street.

Some people camped out all night to get to the front of the line -- many of them holding dozens of identification cards from fellow students to pick up their tickets for them. Those in the front were able to gobble up all of the available lower-deck seats, which angered students who had waited several hours to pick up their tickets.

"People in the back of the line were calling friends that were up near the front and just walking up to the front of the line and giving them their IDs," said junior Zach Getz. "I waited three and a half hours, and I am in row 37 of the upper deck. I've never sat more than 15 rows from the field for a KU home game."

Kansas is ranked fourth in the Associated Press Poll and third in the BCS. Missouri is sixth in the AP poll and fifth in the BCS. The winner likely will be the Big 12 North champion and play Oklahoma on Dec. 1 in the Big 12 title game, where a possible trip to the national championship game could be on the line.

Because there's so much at stake, some students criticized the university for not limiting the number of tickets one person could pick up so that everyone had a fair chance at getting a prime seat if they were willing to stand in line.

"I just found it interesting that when no rules were set up by the students, instead of setting some up and enforcing them, they basically resorted to chaos," said Matt Willems, a senior who waited more than six hours for tickets before leaving for work and having a friend get his ticket -- for a seat in the upper deck. "There were a lot of opportunities for athletics to step in and make a system work, and they chose not to."

The Kansas athletics department said it lets students regulate how football and basketball tickets are distributed. There's never been a limit on the number of tickets a student can pick up with the proper ID, the department said, and there haven't been any problems.

"That's not for us to decide," associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said. "It's up for the students to decide whether that's good or bad, not the administration,"

He said all students who bought season tickets received a ticket to the Missouri game, though he acknowledged that most of those weren't in the lower deck.

Kansas was allotted 13,000 tickets in the lower bowl, but only 1,000 of those went to students. The other 7,000 student season ticket holders got seats in the Kansas section of the upper deck.

Missouri set aside 3,500 tickets for students, who received them last summer.

Willems said he was so frustrated that he considered just watching the game on TV.

"I hate the idea of not supporting the team, and I don't want to punish the team for the ticket office's poor decisions, but that being said, it's definitely crossed my mind," Willems said. "This whole hassle has put such a negative light on this game for me that I've certainly thought about just selling my ticket and watching it at home or at a sports bar in Lawrence."

sooneron
11/14/2007, 09:44 AM
Pussies.

RedstickSooner
11/14/2007, 09:51 AM
Schools need to adopt systems that don't force dedicated students to camp out for tickets.

After all, the point of college is, traditionally, to go to class -- learn stuff. Skipping class because it's the only way to get tickets is asinine.

Just do it all online. You sign into some campus ticket system, you input all your student data, and you try to time it right so you click "submit" at the precise correct moment.

To make sure that only the truly dedicated students got in on it, they could put the tickets on sale at, say, 5 a.m. on a Sunday morning.

Camping out for tickets has become the norm for college kids on campuses all over the country. Just seems to me that allowing 'em to do so sends the wrong message about academic priorities.

Or, how about this: Allow 'em to camp out in advance, restrict 'em to picking up one ticket per person in line, and make ALL the student tickets for the season available before the season begins -- at some point in the week before classes start. Do it right after registration, and that way the dedicated kids can camp out to get their seats, but they only do it once all year.

I mean, season ticket holders get their tickets for the entire season before the season starts -- why can't schools let students do the same thing?

sooneron
11/14/2007, 09:56 AM
Schools need to adopt systems that don't force dedicated students to camp out for tickets.

After all, the point of college is, traditionally, to go to class -- learn stuff. Skipping class because it's the only way to get tickets is asinine.

Just do it all online. You sign into some campus ticket system, you input all your student data, and you try to time it right so you click "submit" at the precise correct moment.

To make sure that only the truly dedicated students got in on it, they could put the tickets on sale at, say, 5 a.m. on a Sunday morning.

Camping out for tickets has become the norm for college kids on campuses all over the country. Just seems to me that allowing 'em to do so sends the wrong message about academic priorities.

Or, how about this: Allow 'em to camp out in advance, restrict 'em to picking up one ticket per person in line, and make ALL the student tickets for the season available before the season begins -- at some point in the week before classes start. Do it right after registration, and that way the dedicated kids can camp out to get their seats, but they only do it once all year.

I mean, season ticket holders get their tickets for the entire season before the season starts -- why can't schools let students do the same thing?
You are right about that. I think some people look upon it as a tradition and their way of earning their stripes. I dunno, the system in place is at the student's discretion. They should shut their spoiled pie holes unless they fix it.

sooner n houston
11/14/2007, 10:07 AM
Cry me a river! What a bunch of babies! Waaaaa.

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2007, 10:14 AM
I've never sat more than 15 rows from the field for a KU home game."

Don't know that that is saying much. :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/14/2007, 10:14 AM
I think the thread title pretty well nailed it. In years past KU fans could walk up to the gate a by tickets right before game time. The last OU game in Lawrence I literally gave someone 2 extra tickets I had because no one would even give $5 each for them.

I'm sure they have worked this out before for basketball but even the optimists in their program probably never thought it would get like this.

I will say this. I hate line jumpers. Line jumpers can get teabagged by the fark squirrel as far as I'm concerned.

TexasEx4OU
11/14/2007, 10:16 AM
So not only has KU given up their home field advantage in the interests of $$$, but their joke of a student ticket distribution system has now stuck the bulk of what is likely the loudest portion of their fan base in the upper deck. Greatness.

That said, I agree...buncha weenies.

IB4OU2
11/14/2007, 10:19 AM
Sitting behind Mangino in the lower row seats could be a problem as well.

r5TPsooner
11/14/2007, 10:30 AM
A true fan wouldn't bitch, but would do whatever it took to get there *** into the game.

Online buying seems much easier and wiser IMHO not to mention safer.

goodonya
11/14/2007, 11:06 AM
You know what they say about "act like you've been there before", er, uh, that really doesn't work, does it? Please disregard.

TheUnnamedSooner
11/14/2007, 11:19 AM
Don't know that that is saying much. :D

yeah, didn't realize KU had 15 rows.

KingBarry
11/14/2007, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE] So not only has KU given up their home field advantage in the interests of $$$, but their joke of a student ticket distribution system has now stuck the bulk of what is likely the loudest portion of their fan base in the upper deck. Greatness.

That said, I agree...buncha weenies.[QUOTE]

Basketball school. They gave up a HOME GAME against their BIGGEST RIVAL. They deserve the hassles. I love Mangino, but I HATE jayhawks. (danny manning, danny manning, danny manning....)

azzbakwardz
11/14/2007, 01:31 PM
yeah, welcome to big time college football alraight!
I can remeber the dark days in Norman, cant we all....enjoy it while it lasts and stop moanin is absolutely freakin right!
Guess they never heard of a game watching party.....wait, I know they havent what am I saying!

Sooner_Havok
11/14/2007, 02:19 PM
Let's see, my senior year I bought tickets to the Fiesta Bowl, and wound up about two rows from the top of University of Phoenix Stadium. Was I happy that a senior got thrown up there when I heard a lot of underclassmen talking about their lower level tickets? No, but I was happy that I was in Glendale watching my team play.

Point is, they need to get over themselves. While it is always nice to have good seats to the big game (at least that is what I am told, never seems to work out that way for me) just being there is half the fun. I have been to 4 OU/UT games, and have had to watch all four of them from the Jumbotron in the Cotton Bowl. That being said, I would never think of not going just because the seats I got were ****ty. You get upset at first, but then you just say, "Well, at least I got tickets, more than a lot of Sooner fans can say." They all need to grow up, either support your team no matter where they throw you in a stadium, or give the ticket to some one who will.

Oh, and FYI, OU does allow people to buy tickets at the box office, but they start selling them online about two hours before the box office opens, so if you are in line, they may sell out before the office even opens. Doing that prevents people from waiting in line for days for tickets because, as stated earlier, the main goal of college is to go to class, not skip class to wait in line for athletic tickets. For a football school, OU cares quite a bit about students going to class.

MojoRisen
11/14/2007, 02:53 PM
Some are entrepenuers and others are not - I guess if you work the line you are in good shape- if you wait in line with out rules - well you waited in line with out rules.

There should be no complaints if that is the way the students set it up- I say take advantage of the rules if they allow you too.

Mike

boomersooner82
11/14/2007, 05:42 PM
Going to class? What's that about? ;) I regreted that OU had online student ticket sales instead of forcing us to camp out. I figure if you really care about getting into the game, it's worth missing a class or two and dealing with whatever consequences of that come, to assure you get a ticket.

Online ticketing at OU (at least when I was there) has the same problem that the KU kids are complaining about. You'll get some chick logging on at 7 a.m. with a bunch of her sorority sisters' student IDs buying their Texas tickets for them (most of which will likely end up selling them). IMO you should have to earn your ticket ("earn" in this case just meaning getting your butt out of bed).

hink4769
11/14/2007, 05:42 PM
I can sympathize with the guys who are complaining (kinda like being first students in line at oklahoma memorial and finding some frat ******* saving the first 3 rows). but they should have seen this coming a month ago when their team was rolling and acted accordingly to avoid this. I think the idea of putting tickets on sale at 5 AM on Sunday is a good idea since only the diehards will get up for that.

StoopTroup
11/14/2007, 05:49 PM
Students should get their tickets from scalpers.

Season ticket holders should get all of the tickets and be allowed to EBAY as many as they want IMO. ;)

OUinFLA
11/14/2007, 05:56 PM
Students should get their tickets from scalpers.

Season ticket holders should get all of the tickets and be allowed to EBAY as many as they want IMO. ;)

you went to business school, right?

sooner59
11/14/2007, 08:23 PM
I can sympathize with the guys who are complaining (kinda like being first students in line at oklahoma memorial and finding some frat ******* saving the first 3 rows). but they should have seen this coming a month ago when their team was rolling and acted accordingly to avoid this. I think the idea of putting tickets on sale at 5 AM on Sunday is a good idea since only the diehards will get up for that.

When they do that, I just sit there anyway. They get mad, but they know they can't do anything about it. You can't save entire rows. If there was an issue, you could just tell them to get lost or call security. But as far as Kansas....give me a break. I remember camping out all night for OU-OSU tickets in 2003 (52-9 LOL). If its that big of a rivalry anyway, they should just have an KC Shootout like we have in Dallas every year. A seat in the upper deck is better than no seat, especially if your team wins. If they won and you didnt go, you would kick yourself.

Jacie
11/14/2007, 09:36 PM
Take me back to 1974. That is exactly what we used to do to get OUr student tix (except we only had to go twice, once for season tix and again for OU/saxet tix). A person could pick up as many tickets as they had "fee receipts" which was a little piece of onion skin paper that showed you had paid your tuition and the cash. Sale dates were set by your total number of hours you had completed at Oklahoma (seniors went first, then juniors, sophs and so on) and it was printed in the upper right corner. Thing was, you could carefully erase it and then with a black pen or pencil fill in whatever number you wanted, turning a first-year freshman into a senior. I guess a drawback the University installing a campus-wide computer system was it pretty much ended this right of passage for the student football fan.

Flying Scotsman
11/14/2007, 10:31 PM
Give KU another year and these lines will go back to normal (non-existent). Next year KU will play a more real schedule and going back to an average team is in their future.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/15/2007, 04:10 AM

You obviously never participated in the old OU tradition of the Freshman Camp Out... Classic school bonding time with fellow classmates by camping out, drinking, having pizza's delivered and the Pizza guy yelling out orders, football players and coaches walking through and the classic 2 AM Line Rush!!!! Good times, thankfully I was in The Pride and was there to encourage my friends that needed tickets...

soonerboomer93
11/15/2007, 07:30 AM
yo dumbasses baggin on the game move

we don't have a home football game against the team that's arguable our biggest rival

OU/Texas neutral site, Army/Navy neutral site, UF/Georgia neutral site, games sometimes get moved to bigger/nicer pro stadiums, our game against Cincinnatti will be played at Bengal Stadium and not their field, just like when we played Northwestern at soldier field

soonerboomer93
11/15/2007, 07:39 AM
oh, and MU's stadium holds 60k, KU's holds 50k, arrowhead holds almost 80k

so they can each send 40k a year, or send 50-60k every other year

ouflak
11/15/2007, 08:08 AM
Give KU another year and these lines will go back to normal (non-existent). Next year KU will play a more real schedule and going back to an average team is in their future.

Are you assuming Mangino will still be the coach there?

Sooner_Havok
11/15/2007, 04:19 PM
Heh, anyone remember this?

http://beatthehell.net/images/listeater.JPG

soonerboomer93
11/15/2007, 05:58 PM
list eater

rawrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

badger
11/15/2007, 07:38 PM
they obviously have never been to ou-texas in the crappy cotton bowl :D

opksooner
11/15/2007, 09:15 PM
The crappy thing is, this is a KU - MU game, right? The schools get NO tickets from 10 yard line to 10 yard line. Those go to Chiefs season ticket holders. Students get the crappiest tix in the house.

They done sold their birthright for a bowl of Cream of Wheat.

But, I don't give a ratzazz. San Antone is where it's at!