PDA

View Full Version : ORU tenured faculty say Richard and Lindsay gotta go.

Okla-homey
11/14/2007, 09:18 AM
Good.

If those $hysters can be shown the door, that place can gain some national respectability.

ORU faculty gives vote of no confidence

By APRIL MARCISZEWSKI World Staff Writer
11/14/2007

A quorum of tenured Oral Roberts University faculty voted "no confidence" in President Richard Roberts and voted in favor of "greater faculty governance and transparency of university finances" in a 3-1/2-hour meeting Monday night.

Donald R. Vance, professor of biblical languages and literature and one of three authors of a summary of the meeting, said tenured professors want to help ORU's board of regents do what is right. The professors' motions let regents know the voice of the faculty, he said.

The vote of no confidence in Roberts as president and CEO of the university was made "without regard to the outcome of the current lawsuit against the university" and "is not to be construed as a judgment of guilt or innocence with regard to the present lawsuit against the president and the university," according to the list of motions and summary of the meeting faxed to media by Gary Richardson, an attorney for the three former professors who are suing ORU, Roberts and other ORU leadership.

Vance said he did not give the report to Richardson.

The vote regarding Roberts did not address his leadership of Oral Roberts Ministries, and "most people personally like him," Vance said.

The professors voted "confidence" in ORU Provost Mark Lewandowski's "call for greater faculty governance and transparency of university finances," the second motion said.

That motion should not be interpreted as the faculty suggesting Lewandowski be the next ORU president, Vance said.

The tenured faculty also approved a motion to be involved in "determining selection criteria for and the actual selection of university leadership."

The list of motions is signed by the professors who Vance said wrote the summary: Vance, chemistry professor Kenneth Weed and English professor Linda Gray.

Vance said the vote was nearly unanimous. He declined to say how many pro fessors voted in favor of the motions.

ORU's tenured professors usually only meet once at the beginning of the year, he said. This was a special meeting.

Tenured professors have a different role at ORU than at other universities, he said. They are given tenure because they have "demonstrated a loyalty to this university and its mission."

"We are charged with preserving the vision of the university," Vance said.

ORU officials declined to comment on the professors' motions, said ORU spokesman Jeremy Burton.

OklahomaTuba
11/14/2007, 09:51 AM
That would be a fantastic first step.

The next step would be removing the perceived cult of personality & stigma The Roberts family has allowed to prevail on the campus. So they should re-name the university and pledge to never again have any formal connection to the school.

Widescreen
11/14/2007, 09:59 AM
I went to high school with Mark Lewandowski. I'm hearing he may be next in line for ORU presidency.

StoopTroup
11/14/2007, 06:24 PM
I thought the "Vision" was Oral's.

I mean...just because things got out of hand...it thought it was his vision to build the University.

badger
11/14/2007, 08:55 PM
There are some problems with evicting the Roberts family...

1- The Oral Roberts University name. Yeah, it's just a name and in the NCAA bracket games, you wouldn't know what ORU stood for if you didn't live in Oklahoma (Oklahoma Regional University or Oklahoma Religious University=ORU? Hmm...)

2- Oral Roberts himself declared that nobody but a "Roberts" would ever lead the university and his name and quotes are engraved all over the campus.

3- You can't just evict a president without due process... who are the ORU Regents again? Oh yeah, Richard Roberts' colleagues.

I'm not saying the faculty are right or wrong with this, but I wonder if anything will happen because of this (answer: probably not)

Okla-homey
11/14/2007, 10:21 PM
my thoughts imbedded below...

There are some problems with evicting the Roberts family...

1- The Oral Roberts University name. Yeah, it's just a name and in the NCAA bracket games, you wouldn't know what ORU stood for if you didn't live in Oklahoma (Oklahoma Regional University or Oklahoma Religious University=ORU? Hmm...)

2- Oral Roberts himself declared that nobody but a "Roberts" would ever lead the university and his name and quotes are engraved all over the campus. Is he a preacher or Joseph Stalin? All that stuff can be fixed with a little paint and/or sandblasting. Just like post-commie Moscow.;)

3- You can't just evict a president without due process... who are the ORU Regents again? Oh yeah, Richard Roberts' colleagues. True, but a court can oust a president if he's treating it like his own private piggy bank and blowing-off statutory corporate norms. Also, board members/regents can be booted if they are shown to be colluding with an out-of-control president.

I'm not saying the faculty are right or wrong with this, but I wonder if anything will happen because of this (answer: probably not) I hope so for the university's sake. If Richard remains, I predict they simply won't be able to raise funds from private donors anymore. And kids' parents won't pay the resultant alarmingly high tuition if they suspect Richard and Lindsay are using the bucks to feather their nest.

Okla-homey
11/14/2007, 10:22 PM
I went to high school with Mark Lewandowski. I'm hearing he may be next in line for ORU presidency.

I heard Steve Largent's name mentioned today.

GottaHavePride
11/14/2007, 10:31 PM
Right on. Richard Simmons and Lindsay Lohan have no business running a university.

;)

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2007, 10:56 PM
A different aspect on this whole thing.

A student that I had in my youth group is in his first year there. Right now, he feels a little stressed not about class, or student life, but about whether this school he paid thousands of dollars to is going to be open next year, or what direction its going to go in. He told me today that its just an odd feeling around campus and nobody knows whats going on. I feel bad for students, many who went there despite the Roberts not because of.

Hopefully they can get all of this over with soon.

Okla-homey
11/14/2007, 11:05 PM
A different aspect on this whole thing.

A student that I had in my youth group is in his first year there. Right now, he feels a little stressed not about class, or student life, but about whether this school he paid thousands of dollars to is going to be open next year, or what direction its going to go in. He told me today that its just an odd feeling around campus and nobody knows whats going on. I feel bad for students, many who went there despite the Roberts not because of.

Hopefully they can get all of this over with soon.

absolutely agree. Hopefully Richard will take the high road and hit the road. Even after moving out of the President's house on campus, he'll still have his "ministry" to keep Lindsay in her $50K a year wardrobe and he can charter a jet to fly the daughters to the Bahamas when neccesary.

sooneron
11/14/2007, 11:53 PM
That would be a fantastic first step.

The next step would be removing the perceived cult of personality & stigma The Roberts family has allowed to prevail on the campus. So they should re-name the university and pledge to never again have any formal connection to the school.
I can't believe that I wholeheartedly agree with Tuba on the SO.:O

badger
11/15/2007, 09:50 AM
It is quite obvious here where I'm at that the Roberts family (aside from Oral himself) does not care about ORU, which is why they are in this situation to begin with. Funding for the student center disappeared, the university is highly in debt, the Roberts live like ORU is their own income stream and professors and students don't like them.

An interesting sidenote: Many ORU professors received all or some of their degrees at ORU - many Ph.D recipients at ORU end up teaching at ORU.So basically, when the faculty vote "no confidence," it's their top alums voting "no confidence" on Richard. Whoops!

OklahomaTuba
11/15/2007, 09:50 AM
We agree because its common sense.

As a Christian, I believe that this part of the Church is in Apostasy to begin with. Anything that washes the sin of "faith healers", or snake oil salesmen as I call them, away and into the sewer where it belongs is OK with me.

Veritas
11/15/2007, 01:34 PM
Benny Hinn is on the ORU Board of Regents.

'nuff said.

OklahomaTuba
11/15/2007, 02:23 PM
As is Mr. Private Jet Copeland.

These people make me puke.

OCUDad
11/23/2007, 08:36 PM
Richard Roberts has resigned, effective immedately.

PhxSooner
11/23/2007, 09:08 PM
Richard Roberts has resigned, effective immedately.
Wonder what prompted that...

Okla-homey
11/24/2007, 08:02 AM
Wonder what prompted that...

Now, they just gotta make sure he doesn't nose his way back in. Like roaches, you can't just get rid of them them forget about it. You must keep things clean and tidy and watch out for their return.;)

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2007, 01:07 AM
I read that one former employee was asked by RR to "cook" the books with the financial stuff in it..

Okla-homey
11/25/2007, 08:51 AM
I read that one former employee was asked by RR to "cook" the books with the financial stuff in it..

RR has been sued in four pending lawsuits now. Plaintiffs are the three professors he runnoft. The above referenced CPA who alleges he was fired b/c he wouldn't cook the books, and a couple by current students claiming RR's shenanigans devalued the degree they seek and/or they are being taught by "unqualified" professors.

I expect RR will be indicted for criminal wrongdoing before its over, especially since evidence turned up in the civil lawsuits is usable by criminal prosecutors. (Mebbe not though since the Tulsa DA is an ORU grad.)

I still think ORU should now re-boot, change the name to something not involving the tainted Roberts name, and start over offering everyone their job back and working hard to pay down that massive debt.