PDA

View Full Version : Pac 10 Officials Strike Again!

Ardmore_Sooner
11/13/2007, 12:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1QGjGFYlg

hOlden caUlfield...
11/13/2007, 12:56 PM
My God.

SoonerStormchaser
11/13/2007, 12:56 PM
BWA HA HA HA HA! Gordon Riese strikes again!

landrun
11/13/2007, 12:58 PM
I don't know why Oregon St. didn't challenge that. :eek:

Ardmore_Sooner
11/13/2007, 01:00 PM
From what I read, I think it's the same crew from OU-UO

Ardmore_Sooner
11/13/2007, 01:03 PM
I don't know why Oregon St. didn't challenge that. :eek:

They were out of timeouts

OUDoc
11/13/2007, 01:21 PM
Pathetic, but not surprising.

oupride
11/13/2007, 01:22 PM
http://gohuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111207aac.html
The play should have been reviewed.

sooneron
11/13/2007, 01:22 PM
B/c of blatant incompetence like that, we should pull out of the game in Seattle next year.

MojoRisen
11/13/2007, 01:28 PM
Agreed the reff was right there as well- blatant

Doesn't the replay booth replay plays that are questionable regardless of a challenge?

garland sooner
11/13/2007, 01:30 PM
wow. that's uneffingbelievable. wow.

wow.

Ardmore_Sooner
11/13/2007, 01:30 PM
Agreed the reff was right there as well- blatant

Doesn't the replay booth replay plays that are questionable regardless of a challenge?

Not in the Pac10 bro. :rolleyes:

oupride
11/13/2007, 01:43 PM
B/c of blatant incompetence like that, we should pull out of the game in Seattle next year.
I thought this game had already been pulled! Can anyone confirm this?

yermom
11/13/2007, 01:43 PM

that is ****ing ridiculous

not that i think Big 12 officials are that great, but that was just retarded

if we can't bring Big 12 officials, we should just stay away from the Pac-10 stadiums

sooneron
11/13/2007, 01:46 PM
that is ****ing ridiculous

not that i think Big 12 officials are that great, but that was just retarded

if we can't bring Big 12 officials, we should just stay away from the Pac-10 stadiums
I can't figure out if you think my post was ridiculous and retarded or the missed call was.///??:pop:

I don't care if it's Big 12 or not. I think inter conf play should normally be ref'd by another conference than the two that are playing.

1stTimeCaller
11/13/2007, 01:47 PM
wow. that was either a TD or he was down. How did that official think it was a fumble?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/13/2007, 01:52 PM
Why would anybody be shocked by that call?..Not surprised at all

jwlynn64
11/13/2007, 01:53 PM
I can't figure out if you think my post was ridiculous and retarded or the missed call was.///??:pop:

The politically correct term is mentally challenged. ;)

Sooner98
11/13/2007, 01:58 PM
I happened to be watching that game Saturday night. The Oregon State fans booed the ENTIRE rest of the game. After they had stopped Washington to seal the victory, they were booing. Even after the game, after the clock said 0:00 and Oregon State had won the game, they were still booing loudly. Rightfully so, I would have been too. The PAC 10 owes OrSU an apology for that near atrocity.

Boomer.....
11/13/2007, 01:59 PM
*shakes head*

josh09
11/13/2007, 02:54 PM
Well at least it didnt change the outcome of their game....

:mad:

Stoop Dawg
11/13/2007, 03:04 PM
That wasn't close at all.

1. He might have been down before the ball reached the goal line. If so, no fumble.

2. If he wasn't down before the ball reached the goal line, it's a touchdown (the nose of the ball has to cross the front of the goal line). As soon as it's a touchdown, there is can't be a fumble.

3. Even if the ref was totally blind and couldn't tell that the ball actually physically touched the goal line (meaning it's a touchdown), the ground can't cause a fumble.

How in the world did UW end up with the ball?

SoonerStormchaser
11/13/2007, 03:10 PM
Dude...Big XII refs aren't much better. They screwed us at Lubbock two years ago and screwed Miami in the 2003 MNC game.

If we go to Seattle next year, we need Big 10 officials.

Ash
11/13/2007, 03:14 PM
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7108/tconclusiveredlgcv7.jpg

RedStripe
11/13/2007, 03:44 PM
They missed an inavertant facemask on that play as well.

Harry Beanbag
11/13/2007, 06:07 PM
His knee was down on the 2 1/2 yard line before the rest of his entire body was down at the goal line and he let go of the ball. It should have been Beavers' ball on the 1 1/2.

cheezyq
11/13/2007, 06:31 PM
"Where's the ball? Oh! I see it! It's at the bottom of the pile and an Oregon player has it!!! First down, Oregon!"

- Pac-10 official, circa 2006

Quack 10
11/13/2007, 06:45 PM
It's nice to see y'all getting yourselves in a proper state of mind for that potential NCG matchup!

Buncha whining :twinkies:

Sooner98
11/13/2007, 07:01 PM
It's nice to see y'all getting yourselves in a proper state of mind for that potential NCG matchup!

Buncha whining :twinkies:

So, I take it you have no problem whatsoever with the call that was made here.

By the way, I hope you enjoy watching the NCG from Eugene, after one of the Big 12 teams passes you in the rankings. :)

KantoSooner
11/13/2007, 07:01 PM
Oh, I understand. When you're jobbed by officiating that is utterly incompetent at best, and so incompetent that blatant bias is a more likely explanation, the proper response is to keep one's mouth closed and ask sir, please, for another?

I would love a rematch with your little crapfest of a team. Better hope Denden's knee holds up, bro. Because he's all you have.

StoopTroup
11/13/2007, 07:03 PM
I think the Beavers will beat the ducks.

SoonerStormchaser
11/13/2007, 07:13 PM
Somewhere, David Earl is unlacing his left shoe!

cvsooner
11/13/2007, 07:15 PM
Oregon State AD says officials from Washington game should be disciplined

CORVALLIS, Ore. -- Oregon State athletic director Bob De Carolis took aim at the Pacific-10 Tuesday, calling for the on-field officials in the Beavers' Saturday game with Washington to be disciplined, and for the replay officials to face a stiffer sanction.

"If something more doesn't happen then the credibility of the conference is out the window," De Carolis said in the news conference at the school's Valley Football Center.

A contentious game turned ugly with several personal foul penalties and near fights broke out in the second and third quarters of the Beavers' 29-23 win. Referee Larry Farina and his crew ejected four players -- three from Oregon State and one from Washington.

De Carolis was also upset that no replay was called for when, with 1:11 left in the game and the Beavers leading by six, tailback Yvenson Bernard stretched for a touchdown and dropped the football. Bernard appeared to have been down, but Washington's Roy Lewis ran the ball back to the Beavers 38, setting up Washington for the potential winning score.

Pac-10 Commissioner Tom Hansen, in a statement Monday, acknowledged that a replay should have occurred. He said the replay officials will receive letters of reprimand, and that no further penalties would be assessed. De Carolis said he called Hansen Tuesday and reiterated that he didn't consider that acceptable.

De Carolis argued that the athletes shouldn't be the only ones punished, and that Farina and crew let the game get out of control by not penalizing the Huskies when Yvenson Bernard was apparently punched in the second quarter.

"When the only people being held accountable for the mismanagement are the student-athletes then something's wrong," he said. "The purpose of instant replay is exactly for that purpose -- the game-changing play to get it right. And the inability to push the button and stop play is just flat-out wrong and unfair. And that person should be held accountable. A letter of reprimand doesn't do it for me. So I am asking that that person either be docked a game or some other penalty."

De Carolis also took exception to comments made by Verle Sorgen, the conference's director of instant replay, published in The Oregonian Tuesday.

Sorgen was quoted saying that the lack of replay on Bernard's fumble "wasn't that egregious unless you are an Oregon State fan."

"As for [Sorgen] there should be a public reprimand," De Carolis said. "There's no way that an official in that capacity should be singling out a program."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

The emphasis is mine. It explains a lot about the state of Pac-10 officiating and particularly in the state of Oregon. How about you just make the call that needs to be made? That horrendous officiating--especially with video replay to give you a second chance to get it right--is simply inexcusable.

Quack 10
11/13/2007, 07:17 PM
So, I take it you have no problem whatsoever with the call that was made here.

By the way, I hope you enjoy watching the NCG from Eugene, after one of the Big 12 teams passes you in the rankings. :)

The call was terrible, but not necessarily indicative of Pac-10 officiating. It happens everywhere. UCONN has two wins resulting from terrible officiating this year, and I remember Lubbock, too! It's not a Pac-10 problem, it just feels like it to y'all because you certainly did get jobbed in Eugene. But hey, I 'aint gonna keep apologizing for it. Shake it off, already. at least you didn't have to "vacate" it. :D

Regarding being passed by a Big XII team, I have no doubt that Oregon will be. Fortunately, I think LSU will slip on down.

cvsooner
11/13/2007, 07:23 PM
I'm over what happened in Eugene in 2006. Y'all need to worry about what's going to happen in Tucson on Thursday. And what could happen to you in N'awlins, regardless of who it is.

Sooner_Havok
11/13/2007, 07:29 PM
Sorgen was quoted saying that the lack of replay on Bernard's fumble "wasn't that egregious unless you are an Oregon State fan."

That is the part that gets me. I could give two sh*ts about OrSu, and that call was pretty god damned egregious. Not only should these guys be disciplined for making a obviously wrong, and possibly game changing call, but there also needs to be an investigation into Pac-10 officials to make sure that they are not involved in some game fixing/point shaving scam. It has been said numerous times, NCAA refs don't get paid much, so if someone asks a couple of them to alter outcomes of games, they will give them $10,000, they may just take the money. They know they won't have in public accountability, and they know that if they are ever questioned, the conference will protect them. Just saying...:pop:

Charla
11/13/2007, 10:40 PM
I don't think the PAC-10 refs. are crooked I think they are really that stupid. Speaking of stupid it always makes you wander what kind of Ducked up crap uniforms UO will show up in.

arcman46
11/13/2007, 11:05 PM
Remember the two bad calls that LSUc got that helped them win the game against, I think it was Auburn. Bad calls happen in all conferences. The problem is that this idea that all plays are reviewed is simply cr**. There was absolutely no excuse that that play should not have been reviewed.

noobalicious
11/13/2007, 11:13 PM
Touchdown Washington.

Ground_Attack
11/13/2007, 11:50 PM
Shake it off, already. at least you didn't have to "vacate" it. :D

sick my duck

http://pages.suddenlink.net/mj85/images/duckoff.jpg

ouwasp
11/14/2007, 12:05 AM
How could those guys be so blantantly bad? What I'd give to be a fly on the wall in the refs hiding place after the game...

Curly: Hey, what was the line on this game?
Larry: How the hell did we blow that call? Man, I feel...
Moe: Nope, that's a non-call, that's the human part of the game...
Dildo: Those Oregon St fans are awful. Reminds me of those know-it-all Sooners. Expected us to make that hard call last yr. I hope I get their game in Seattle next yr...

Etc..........

Stoop Dawg
11/14/2007, 03:00 AM
Regarding being passed by a Big XII team, I have no doubt that Oregon will be. Fortunately, I think LSU will slip on down.

Maybe if you joined a football conference your SOS wouldn't be so weak.

Of course, then you wouldn't win enough games to even be considered for a BCS game. Nevermind.

jrsooner
11/14/2007, 08:08 AM
The call was terrible, but not necessarily indicative of Pac-10 officiating. It happens everywhere.Yes, there is bad officiating from time to time in other conferences, but it seems to be indicative that when poor officiating is brought up then the PAC-10 is the first conference to be mentioned. If you don't like the label, that's fine, but unless they actually clean house the PAC-10 is going to be known for suspect officiating.

cheezyq
11/14/2007, 08:55 AM
The call was terrible, but not necessarily indicative of Pac-10 officiating

Are you serious?

The Pac-10 has been involved in the two worst calls/non-calls to come up in recent memory. It's not just the number of calls, it's that they were so obvious. In the OU example, the ref called first down for Oregon despite NEVER seeing the ball. I won't go on about the replay booth in that game. In the OSU/UW game the call was so obvious that it's hard to imagine what, if anything, was going through that ref's mind when he let the play go. Then, to not review the call at all was just the icing.

Say what you will about the infamous Stanford/Cal game with the band on the field. That final play may have been called correctly, it may not have been. And, the Big 12 certainly has it's share of blundering officials (TTech 2005). What is certain about the Pac-10 is that they've been involved in quite a few of the biggest officiating controversies/blunders in the history of college football. If that's not "indicative", I don't know what is.

My hope for next year is that we insist on non-P10 officials for the UW game next year, or re-schedule the game with someone else. Having OUr season defined by poor officiating is getting old.

OUDoc
11/14/2007, 09:32 AM
In the OU example, the ref called first down for Oregon despite NEVER seeing the ball.
That's what I can't, and never will, get over. That's incompetence. The rest was just laziness.

RedstickSooner
11/14/2007, 09:37 AM
Y'know, I think I finally get it now.

Due to visible effects in 4-dimensional spacetime (the warpage of space), from what I understand, Einstein's theories implied a fifth dimension (one in which the four dimensions we can see would bend *into*).

So, here's the dealio: Clearly, Pac-10 officials have the power TO SEE INTO THAT FIFTH DIMENSION.

This incredible gift, probably the result of some secret Nike technology developed and then granted the refs by Phil Knight, means that Pac-10 refs can see the *true* nature of reality, while all the rest of us fumble like the poor bastards we are, seeing only our own shadows on the walls of our three-dimensional cave.

Once camera technology is developed which will allow all of us to see into the fifth dimension, we will quickly realize the correctness of the Pac-10's calls.

Whatever the cost, whatever it takes, whatever we have to do -- we MUST cancel our upcoming game with Washington. I don't care if it has a $2 million buy-out clause. It'd be worth it. We can schedule southwest popcorn state in their stead.

Putting our season into the hands of those buffoons yet again would be tantamount to suicide. Quite frankly, if we're foolish enough to do so, we *deserve* the loss we so obviously will be granted.

Quack 10
11/14/2007, 10:26 AM
Are you serious?

The Pac-10 has been involved in the two worst calls/non-calls to come up in recent memory. It's not just the number of calls, it's that they were so obvious. In the OU example, the ref called first down for Oregon despite NEVER seeing the ball. I won't go on about the replay booth in that game. In the OSU/UW game the call was so obvious that it's hard to imagine what, if anything, was going through that ref's mind when he let the play go. Then, to not review the call at all was just the icing.

Say what you will about the infamous Stanford/Cal game with the band on the field. That final play may have been called correctly, it may not have been. And, the Big 12 certainly has it's share of blundering officials (TTech 2005). What is certain about the Pac-10 is that they've been involved in quite a few of the biggest officiating controversies/blunders in the history of college football. If that's not "indicative", I don't know what is.

My hope for next year is that we insist on non-P10 officials for the UW game next year, or re-schedule the game with someone else. Having OUr season defined by poor officiating is getting old.

You write "recent memory" and then run home to "The Play" from what, 25 years ago? Remember the infamous fifth down, Sherlock? Nice try. That is easily the most egregious call in the history of college football.

Ash
11/14/2007, 10:27 AM
It's so nice to hear from the Oregon trolls again.

Okieflyer
11/14/2007, 10:40 AM
You write "recent memory" and then run home to "The Play" from what, 25 years ago? Remember the infamous fifth down, Sherlock? Nice try. That is easily the most egregious call in the history of college football.

Yeah and the replay official blew that call too! :rolleyes:

Quack 10 is a perfect name for you and your conference. :D

Ground_Attack
11/14/2007, 11:35 AM

That would be the Big 8 my dear Watson. Big XII didn't exist when the 5th down game occured.

cheezyq
11/14/2007, 11:37 AM

Funny you should refer to me as Sherlock, a character who is famous for attention to detail. I guess in comparison, I should refer to you as Watson? The irony here is that you use such a reference when clearly you and your Pac-10 refs have a similar lack of vision.

Why don't you go back and read my post again? Although I'm sure you'd miss it on the replay, too. Heck, we're probably conversing with the great Gordon Riese himself. That would explain why he's so defensive about Pac-10 officiating. You do realize that he was officiating during the Cal/Stanford game too, right?

Nowhere in my post did I hold up the Big 8/Big 12 as the bastion of brilliant officiating. Furthermore my dear Watson, had you any attention to detail at all you would have deduced that fact earlier. Not only was there the 5th down, there was also the KU/Texas game a few years ago that prompted the "dollar signs" quote from Mangino. The OU/TT game in 2005 that I already mentioned. The Tech game this past weekend. The Big 12 has more than its share of incredibly bad officials, as I clearly pointed out earlier.

My issue was with your statement that the OU/UO game and the OSU/UW game were not "indicative" of Pac-10 officiating. Given the history of your beloved officials, I was simply pointing out that your statement was full of hooey. Teams, fans, and conferences across the country point toward the Pac-10 as an example of poor officiating. That's "indicative".

Also, the 5th down was not the most egregious call in history. It wasn't even a "call" at all. It was a blunder, a mistake, to be sure. Perhaps the biggest in history. But there are no indications that the mistake was an egregious one, either. No, the OU/UO call was the most egregious call. It involved an official claiming an Oregon player had the ball, when he clearly saw no such thing. It involved an Oregon player that clearly touched the ball before the ball traveled 10 yards. Then, when the replay booth official had an opportunity to correct the horrendous call, he refused to do so. That's egregious.

Personally I think the most fitting symbol of a university's fans resides in Eugene, Oregon as the college's mascot. Every Oregon Ducks fan I've ever encountered, online or otherwise, is a complete quack.

cheezyq
11/14/2007, 11:46 AM
That would be the Big 8 my dear Watson. Big XII didn't exist when the 5th down game occured.

LOL. You got to that 2 minutes before I did.

I think I'm beginning to understand why the officiating in the Pac-10 is so bad. It's as if they hold a lottery each week and choose from among their hordes of incompetent fans.

Quack 10
11/14/2007, 12:03 PM
LOL. You got to that 2 minutes before I did.

I think I'm beginning to understand why the officiating in the Pac-10 is so bad. It's as if they hold a lottery each week and choose from among their hordes of incompetent fans.

Did I write anything about the Big XII or the Big 8? The point was that the "5th down" was far more recent than "The Play" and did not involve Pac-10 officials. There clearly is no body of evidence to suggest that officiating is any worse in the PAC-10 than in any other conference (except that "teams and fans" apparently tell you it is). I'm reasonably sure that any conference can tally three or four horrible officiating jobs in any 25-year period.

That's okay though, take your ball and run home. That apparently makes you feel "competent."

OUDoc
11/14/2007, 12:16 PM
There clearly is no body of evidence to suggest that officiating is any worse in the PAC-10 than in any other conference (except that "teams and fans" apparently tell you it is).
So, except for all the "witnesses", there's no proof?

cheezyq
11/14/2007, 12:22 PM
Did I write anything about the Big XII or the Big 8?

Yes, you did. The 5th down involved Colorado and Missouri, both Big 8 teams at the time, and Big 12 teams now.

The point was that the "5th down" was far more recent than "The Play" and did not involve Pac-10 officials.

Well, you're right about it not involving Pac-10 officials. But "The Play" happened in 1982, and the "5th down" happened in 1990. Given that "The Play" happened 26 years ago, the "5th down" took place 8 years later, and the differential between each of those points in time when compared with today's date, "far more recent" is about as accurate as a Pac-10 official staring at a football play.

There clearly is no body of evidence to suggest that officiating is any worse in the PAC-10 than in any other conference (except that "teams and fans" apparently tell you it is). I'm reasonably sure that any conference can tally three or four horrible officiating jobs in any 25-year period.

Two bad plays, two straight years. Both were indisputably horrendous, and both involved officials that were staring directly at the play, one of them with NO obstruction whatsoever. That, my dear Watson, is what you call a "body of evidence". My reference to "The Play" was simply to accentuate the FACT that the Pac-10 has been involved in the most controversial plays and blunders in the history of college football. Yes, every conference's officials have bad games and terrible calls. But the Pac-10 has a few of the most infamous calls in history, more so than any other conference.

That's okay though, take your ball and run home. That apparently makes you feel "competent."

There's a difference between being competent, and feeling competent. Being competent involves presenting sound arguments to support your position. Feeling competent involves misconstruing another person's post, citing incorrect information and getting pwn3d on an opposing team's fans message board, continually returning for more, and then lashing out with a "take your ball and run home" comment.

OK2LA
11/14/2007, 12:36 PM
The PAC 10 owes OrSU an apology for that near atrocity.

Since Oregon State still won the game, I wouldn't consider it an atrocity.

Our game - against Oregon - that was an atrocity.

Easting
11/14/2007, 12:51 PM
Since Oregon State still won the game, I wouldn't consider it an atrocity.

Our game - against Oregon - that was an atrocity.

Quoted for truth.

soonernation
11/14/2007, 01:36 PM
Did I write anything about the Big XII or the Big 8? The point was that the "5th down" was far more recent than "The Play" and did not involve Pac-10 officials. There clearly is no body of evidence to suggest that officiating is any worse in the PAC-10 than in any other conference (except that "teams and fans" apparently tell you it is). I'm reasonably sure that any conference can tally three or four horrible officiating jobs in any 25-year period.

Damn I hope OU plays you ****in chumps in NO.

cheezyq
11/14/2007, 01:45 PM
Damn I hope OU plays you ****in chumps in NO.

I second that motion. We can extend our record against the Ducks to 8-0.

Jmorales22
11/14/2007, 04:10 PM
I was watching that game late saturday night also and my jaw just about hit the ground. I immediately started thinking about the Oregon game last year, just because it's the pac-10. That was a historically bad call. Its memory won't last because it didn't change the outcome, but it was as bad as the 5th down, as bad as the onside kick in Eugene, worse than the rest.

I don't think Quack 10 is really trying to flame. Let's try not to take out our frustration on him just because we can't get over what happened last year at Oregon. I'm over it. That being said I think the Pac-10 got voted the worst officials last year and they're looking like they're headed for the same this year.

cheezyq
11/14/2007, 04:25 PM
I don't think Quack 10 is really trying to flame. Let's try not to take out our frustration on him just because we can't get over what happened last year at Oregon. I'm over it. That being said I think the Pac-10 got voted the worst officials last year and they're looking like they're headed for the same this year.

I agree with most of your post wholeheartedly. As irritating as the call was, it's long since been over.

But unfortunately Mr. Watson (aka Quack 10) did come to flame, as evidenced by the following comments:

Buncha whining

Shake it off, already. at least you didn't have to "vacate" it.