PDA

View Full Version : My Playoff Plan to Replace BCS

stoopified
11/13/2007, 12:02 PM
First of all eliminate all independents,send ND to Big 10.Army, Navy to Big East.Disband Mountain West Conference and allocate teams to best fits among other conferences(no conference to exceed 12 teams).All conference Champions of the 10 conferences qualify for the plaoffs(9 conferences of 12 teams,1 conference of 11 teams =119 teams).After the regular season is complete.The Coaches of the 119 teams vote and seed the Champions 1-10.The bottom 4 seeds play the first round,winners of these two first round games will play seeds #1,#2.The other pairings would be #3 -#6,#4-#5.Then playoff until the champion is crowned.

All teams that don'tqualify for the 10 team playoff can still get a non playoff bowl slot.Did I forget to mention the playoff sites would rotate between Fiesta,Rose,Orange,Sugar?

I think this is a fair plan as ALL 119 teams have a shot at the title.All they have to do is win their division, their conference title game and win their playoff games.Politics is eliminated except in the seeding process which is voted by coaches on an open ballot after conference title games are completed(prevents behind the scenes deals and puts coaches under public scrutiny to be fair).In my system all 10 conferences would have a title game, in essence that would be a first playoff round.

I'm sure its not perfect but I think it is better than the current system which votes on who the two bestteams are that play for the title.

sooner_born_1960
11/13/2007, 12:08 PM
Why require a conference playoff game? If a conference wants to send it's champion, what would be wrong with that?

sooneron
11/13/2007, 12:20 PM
Why do coaches get a say? Last year, Smellsofbourbon voted us 23 or 24 in the final poll.

SONofa47straitSOONER
11/13/2007, 12:43 PM
Sounds great! And obviously better than the current system. Not sure about the conference champ game though. Don't want an extra chance for players to get hurt before the playoffs. But if one conference has it, they all should have it. How is that not the case now? (Clearly morons at the helm.)

stoopified
11/13/2007, 12:44 PM
Why require a conference playoff game? If a conference wants to send it's champion, what would be wrong with that?Because I think EVERYBODY should play conference title games or no one should secondly in sme conferences Big 10,Pac 10 not all teams play each other.They don't settle it on the field but by criteris.Below is a sample playoff:

First round: #7 Uconn-#10 Bowling Green- UConn winner

#8 Troy- # 9 Tulsa - winner- Troy

Second round
#1 LSU-UConn -LSU-winner
- #2 UO- Troy -UO-winner
#3 OU - #6 Hawaii -OU-winner
@4 V.Tech -#5 Virginia- Virginia -winner

Third round
#1 LSU-#5 Virginia - LSU -winner
#2 UO - #3 OU - OU-winner
Championship game LSU-OU,OU wins 27-17
Works for me.
SoonerRon if not coaches,then who?I understand your point that is why I think it should be an open vote with all coaches present.I don't think even Schnelly wants to look stupid in front of fellow coaches.

Dan Thompson
11/13/2007, 12:53 PM
IMHO, if the regular season was shorted by two games, so that the same number of games are played, it would work for me.

ND would fight this forever, the Mountain West would also fight it because all the staff and Refs would be out of work.

To get there from here, I would start by eliminating the independents.

Then a couple of decades later we could work on the Mountain West.

Then maybe the conference playoff could be the future.

OUmillenium
11/13/2007, 01:00 PM
Here is my plan...

Win every game and we will be in the BCS championship...then win that game

No playoff needed

Get off our board Traber

yermom
11/13/2007, 01:05 PM
what's wrong with the Mountain West? :confused:

also, is it really fair for one team from the MWC, Sun Belt, MAC and WAC to each get a team in when only one team from the SEC, Big 12, etc... gets to go?

our 4th best team would wreck any of those conference champs most years (this year it's Texas, probably)

stoopified
11/13/2007, 01:26 PM
Here is my plan...

Win every game and we will be in the BCS championship...then win that game

No playoff needed

Get off our board Traber
New meat check your post count then check mine.If you don't like my post go back to Gppokes where BCS/playoffs are moot point.

There is nothing wrong with Mountain West Conference but they are the smallest and easiest to eliminate to get to a workable number (10) of conferences for a playoff.How would an 11 conference system work?As for the support staffs of Mountain West,redistrbute them among the other conferences.There are after all still 119 teams.The number of games will actually increase because of playoffs.As for the number of games per team per season,they are not out of line with what thses kids played in HS or what Div. 1AA,D-2,D-3 play.On top of that only the 10 teams in the NCAA that make the playoffs are affected.109 teams will finish playing after regular season in a non plaoff bowl(Cotton,Gator,Holliday,Motor City,etc.

Vegas Vic
11/13/2007, 02:31 PM
There are many college football fans who don’t realize that the BCS isn’t run by the NCAA. In fact, the NCAA doesn’t even recognize a national champion in the “Football Bowl Subdivision” (formerly known as Division I).

Last year, the five BCS bowls paid out $85,000,000, a large chunk of which went to the participating teams, with a decent sum to their respective conferences. We’ll continue to hear the obligatory lip service from the major college administrators and athletic directors about looking into a full playoff system, but rest assured that everytime they meet behind closed doors, they remain in collusion to keep this gravy train going. They are not going to turn the purse strings over to the NCAA (which is what would happen under a full blown playoff system). They know that the NCAA would drastically turn this thing into a massive redistribution of wealth.

At best, we might see a true “Plus One” game after the current contract expires in 2010, but the BCS will remain in control of this thing financially. It won’t be an NCAA sponsored event.

stoopified
11/13/2007, 03:32 PM
There are many college football fans who don’t realize that the BCS isn’t run by the NCAA. In fact, the NCAA doesn’t even recognize a national champion in the “Football Bowl Subdivision” (formerly known as Division I)..

Last year, the five BCS bowls paid out $85,000,000, a large chunk of which went to the participating teams, with a decent sum to their respective conferences. We’ll continue to hear the obligatory lip service from the major college administrators and athletic directors about looking into a full playoff system, but rest assured that everytime they meet behind closed doors, they remain in collusion to keep this gravy train going. They are not going to turn the purse strings over to the NCAA (which is what would happen under a full blown playoff system). They know that the NCAA would drastically turn this thing into a massive redistribution of wealth.

At best, we might see a true “Plus One” game after the current contract expires in 2010, but the BCS will remain in control of this thing financially. It won’t be an NCAA sponsored event.I realize the BCS is not run by the NCAA but whether it is or isn't is irrelevant .Under the current system the two teams that paly for the title are decided by VOTING.Voting to decide who wins is for Miss America Pagents not football.From HS through D-3,D-2,D-1AA is decided on the field,not by voting.All NCAA sports are decided on the field or court of mat or whatever the appropriate arena is EXCEPT D-1 football.

The 4 BCS bowls could continue as sites for the playoffs giving each sit multiple chances to host games.Playoff games would raise huge money.The non playoff teams still get to go to the minor bowls.The only people who care about the minor bowls are fans of competing teams anyhow so plaoyffs won't affect them.

Vegas Vic
11/13/2007, 03:50 PM
The 4 BCS bowls could continue as sites for the playoffs giving each sit multiple chances to host games.Playoff games would raise huge money.

I don't disagree with you, but the key will always be who controls the purse strings. Unless the fat cats of the college football elite (and I include Boren and Castliglione in that group) remain in control of the huge windfall (via the BCS), they will not agree to a playoff system (regardless of what they might say in public).

The problem with a playoff is devising a way to keep the NCAA totally out of the oversight and administration of the playoff (as they do in all of the other college divisions), because there will be a massive redistribution of wealth if that occurs. The elite powerbrokers will never let that happen. The financial monster has been created by the BCS, and it's probably already beyond the point of no return.

BermudaSooner
11/13/2007, 05:10 PM
First of all eliminate all independents,send ND to Big 10.Army, Navy to Big East.Disband Mountain West Conference and allocate teams to best fits among other conferences(no conference to exceed 12 teams).All conference Champions of the 10 conferences qualify for the plaoffs(9 conferences of 12 teams,1 conference of 11 teams =119 teams).After the regular season is complete.The Coaches of the 119 teams vote and seed the Champions 1-10.The bottom 4 seeds play the first round,winners of these two first round games will play seeds #1,#2.The other pairings would be #3 -#6,#4-#5.Then playoff until the champion is crowned.

All teams that don'tqualify for the 10 team playoff can still get a non playoff bowl slot.Did I forget to mention the playoff sites would rotate between Fiesta,Rose,Orange,Sugar?

I think this is a fair plan as ALL 119 teams have a shot at the title.All they have to do is win their division, their conference title game and win their playoff games.Politics is eliminated except in the seeding process which is voted by coaches on an open ballot after conference title games are completed(prevents behind the scenes deals and puts coaches under public scrutiny to be fair).In my system all 10 conferences would have a title game, in essence that would be a first playoff round.

I'm sure its not perfect but I think it is better than the current system which votes on who the two bestteams are that play for the title.

You lost me at eliminate independents. As much as I dislike ND, you've got to admire their go it alone attitude.

Plus 1 is the only way to go. I can't remember a year when the #5 team had a legitimate claim on the title. 4 teams are enough, and the current system and "can't lose a game" excitement is preserved.

rubyspirit
11/13/2007, 08:13 PM
Every game throughout the season is a playoff ...

arcman46
11/13/2007, 08:52 PM
Keep the polls; keep the computer rankings; Take the top 8 teams regardless of conference; seed them 1vs8, 2vs7 ect. First game is the week after the season is over. Then from there it is basically a plus one, with the championship game a week later. Then you keep the rest of the bowls for a reward for a decent season. There may be some gripping about 9 or 10 but generally the polls get the first 8 pretty close to what it should be.

AlabamaSooner
11/13/2007, 08:58 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103399

Charla
11/13/2007, 10:26 PM
Why do coaches get a say? Last year, Smellsofbourbon voted us 23 or 24 in the final poll.
Him and Eddie S. might of watched the games together